Author Topic: Post Your Ergo Keyboard!  (Read 73188 times)

Offline PollandAkuma

Re: Post Your Ergo Keyboard!
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 03:23:03 »
LOL that blog post is the best! I looked at the ergodox at the meetup in the UK, but it seemed like the thumb keys are all too far for comfortable typing. I have rather small hands. And then when I wanted to go Atreus I was worried that it's not mobile as I thought it was, because you have to position yourself properly to use it. Which brings me to the Planck. I like the Diverge TM 2, but I heard of quality issues, and it's also not soldered, and plastic as well. But I really like that it has two 2u keys. Planck is going to be expensive though, but if I go planck I could go Alps too... ERGH. What's not helping is my fascination of Topre.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 16:35:20 »
Oh. I find the thumb keys on the ergodox to be in the perfect spot for my hands.  ;D

The Atreus is nice but has too few keys for me, I need Ctrl, Alt and Shift on the outsides. I'd find it very irritating to have to use modifiers that aren't in the "correct" location.

I've never got into Topre or Alps because it's difficult to find keycaps, especially in odd ergo layouts. The worst part about the Ergodox is finding keycaps, with all those 1.5u ones and vertical 2u's, although I'm super happy with the GMK Carbon modifiers I got from Massdrop.

I don't usually care how expensive the keyboard I'm getting is because as a $/hr rate, it's nothing... It's just when you have too many sitting around unused that it gets a bit silly, plus the girlfriend starts to nag.  ;)

Good luck.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 18:14:11 »
Oh. I find the thumb keys on the ergodox to be in the perfect spot for my hands.  ;D

The Atreus is nice but has too few keys for me, I need Ctrl, Alt and Shift on the outsides. I'd find it very irritating to have to use modifiers that aren't in the "correct" location.

I've never got into Topre or Alps because it's difficult to find keycaps, especially in odd ergo layouts. The worst part about the Ergodox is finding keycaps, with all those 1.5u ones and vertical 2u's, although I'm super happy with the GMK Carbon modifiers I got from Massdrop.

I don't usually care how expensive the keyboard I'm getting is because as a $/hr rate, it's nothing... It's just when you have too many sitting around unused that it gets a bit silly, plus the girlfriend starts to nag.  ;)

Good luck.
Thanks man. I think planck is probably the way to go for me.

Offline NTwoO

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 05:10:55 »
Man! I'm an Ergo fan (with limited selection). The keyboards posted here are absolutely awesome! Really like some of the more esoteric models. My first ergo keyboard was a crappy model with rubber domes, but with a track ball under the thumb. That was a very nice keyboard. Unfortunately not as nice as the Maltron. That would've lasted me a long time, I guess. Since then I mastered VIM and added vimfx/vimium to my browser(s) to ensure that I can operate with the keyboard as much as possible. That in combination with my new love, the Kinesis Advantage, I'm pretty happy for now.

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:06:48 »
Work in progress:

-   48-key 3D-printed keyboard with variable stagger
-   Logitech Trackman Marble with Zilent V1 switches held on with painters tape ;)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 02:20:45 »
That looks really good, I like it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline iso

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 04:34:36 »
MEK - 3d printed

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 05:57:32 »
MEK - 3d printed

That is beautiful. What are the panels, either perforated or with black dots on, at the extreme left and right?

Offline iso

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 06:09:13 »
thank you, left are the F keys, right are macros. mute, next, calc and such

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 06:48:20 »
thank you, left are the F keys, right are macros. mute, next, calc and such

Oh, those are tiny switches?

Offline iso

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 07:01:27 »
yep. full thread and build log here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99856.100

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 06:44:47 »
3D printed Dactyl manuform 5x6 with Zeal Zilents and in-switch LEDs (pure horror to wire that up)

Offline abstractkb

• Abstract Keyboards Homepage
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 20:01:19 »
BFO-9000 with custom sandwich case and dsa keycaps from kprepublic, gateron browns

Offline econeuler

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 04:55:58 »
I have been interested in ergo keyboards, but never found anything that has worked good for me.Although, I think I have improved in "touch typping" / "right hand position".

I have used two ergo boards. Tried an X-bows,

Unfortunately the layout on this one did not work at all! The Esc key is too far away (I'm a Vim user), and the other keys commonly used in programming is too far away. Maybe the layout is better for ANSI, I don't know.

Then I tried this keyboard at work a couple of years ago,

The keyboard in itself was quite bad, but the layout was okay! I quite liked the split typing experience, it made my typing better. So even if people don't use it for ergonomics, it will help you improve your typing.

3D printed Dactyl manuform 5x6 with Zeal Zilents and in-switch LEDs (pure horror to wire that up)

Hehe, looks nice though! How is it to type on?

Offline iaji

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 10:12:28 »
Oh right. I have some dactyl manuforms in my cabinet unused.
now I mostly use split flat boards with 36 keys.

Offline XFabricate

• XFabricate Custom 3D Printing & Modeling
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 02:56:24 »
3D printed Dactyl manuform keyboard case in Copper filament color.

Offline iaji

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 05:47:04 »
5 column corne with 3d printed case and jwick black.