Author Topic: Logitech G613 alternative with not terrible switches?  (Read 9764 times)

Offline dgguidryjr

Logitech G613 alternative with not terrible switches?
« on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:11:56 »
Hey keeb people, I come here seeking your encyclopedic knowledge.

I have a Logitech G613 keyboard that I use at work that is starting to have a lot of double-presses which is annoying. This is prob the ~3rd one I've owned and they all go out like this.

My relationship with the G613 is much like my relationship with the person I got close to marrying: it's a comfortable arrangement - not terrible, but not good - and it always turns sour over the same stupid thing, in the same stupid way. I go out and try something new, but get frustrated that other keyboards don't "do it for me" in the same way that the G613 did and so I go back to another G613.

Much how I finally cut ties with that person and decided "NO MORE!", I recently replaced my keyboard at home with an actually good keyboard (Realforce R2 PFU). I had bought and used Topre switch keyboards before and knew that they were my absolute favorite, but I stupidly spilled water all over mine, and I was broke at the time and all I had access to was a G613 I bought and never used (...oddly similar circumstances to how I fell in to that previous relationship - keyboards mirror life). I simply refuse to buy another G613.

These are the reasons I'm so tied to the G613 for my work situation:
1) Bluetooth. I have to answer f***ing text messages during the day so bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone is a requirement. I know this is a nitpick, but I am very tied to the layout/function of the buttons that switch between the 2.4ghz receiver and bluetooth. I probably would have already bought a Filco Majestouch Convertible 7 times over, but I cannot stand the idea of hitting a function key + some button. I have felt like I could just get over this but the Majestouch is also missing one other thing...
2) The size/built-in palm-rest. I have god-awful posture sitting at my cubicle, and most of the time my chair is lowered all the way and I'm leaned all the way back (think a leg-crossed variation on the no-life World of Warcraft guy from that South Park episode) with my keyboard sitting halfway between my lap and on my stomach. I'm barely at my desk most of the time anyway so upon reflection I'm probably leaning back in a desperate attempt to sneak in some relaxation at my desk.
3) 108-key/full-size. I need a numpad, and I need it attached to the rest of the keyboard. HHKB would have been another no-brainer but the form factor is no bueno for a work keyboard and so it's out (the type of work I do is not the type of work where an HHKB would shine).

However, I loathe the feel of Omron switches. Big time. I've gotten used to them at this point so it's not so much an active hate of them day-to-day, but the idea of spending any more of my hard-earned money on a product with linear switch gives me angina. I've given up hope for a wireless Topre situation (why don't they just do the same thing with the Realforce R2 that they did with the HHKB Hybrid?) but I would settle for a tactile switch in the same feel neighborhood as a Cherry MX Brown. I also tried the G915, but, in addition to no palm-rest, I could not stand low-profile switches.

Am I doomed to trying to hack something together with an adafruit feather/bluetooth module or a BT-500 from Handheld Scientific? Is there anything remotely off-the-shelf for lazy mofos like myself? I am already starting to feel myself falling back in with a G613. SOMEONE HELP ME PLS!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Logitech G613 alternative with not terrible switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:18:37 »
I think you might just have to forgo the built-in wrist wrest and buy one separately, you can get one custom made though to match the board I think.

No full 108 boards come to the top of my head, only 96%

Keychron for sure has a K(some number) that is 96% and wireless, keychrons are pretty good

Epomaker also recently released their 96% wireless(really cheap if I recall)

Iquinx also have a sort of wireless 96%, comes in a lot of colors although I think the price is relativley high compared to keychron and epomaker

Offline dgguidryjr

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:40:08 »
I think you might just have to forgo the built-in wrist wrest and buy one separately, you can get one custom made though to match the board I think.

No full 108 boards come to the top of my head, only 96%

Keychron for sure has a K(some number) that is 96% and wireless, keychrons are pretty good

Epomaker also recently released their 96% wireless(really cheap if I recall)

Iquinx also have a sort of wireless 96%, comes in a lot of colors although I think the price is relativley high compared to keychron and epomaker

I actually was looking at the Keychrons a bit, 96% FF doesn't blast my ass as hard as the 96% FF + no palm-rest. And I actually had looked at Iquinx because I really like their colorways, but yeah I feel like I can't justify the expense vs like, literally just another Topre. Or even maybe I would just say fudge it and get the HHKB Hybrid and force myself to survive without a numpad.

I still have the G915 so I have actually been also considering just using that with some kind of lapboard-type situation. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Indigu

• Yea sure
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 16:14:13 »
I've done some research and I'd say that unfortunately what you desire is not really available at all, your best bet is to just go with a Majestouch Convertible and get a separate wrist rest and give up the topre switches, or overall just give up a certain thing you want like hhkb hybrid with a separate numb pad etc. Overall the best thing to do is just get a custom keyboard or mod one, but idk if that is within your realm of possibilities. Note that I'm not really the most knowledgeable person around and I'm just trying my best to help, so hopefully someone else could find a better solution for you.

Offline Volny

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 03:38:05 »
If I understand you correctly, your reclined typing position requires a built-in wrist rest because a separate one will just fall off your midriff. If so, good luck - full size keyboards are rare enough as it is in this weirdass market, even without extra requirements.

But if a separate wrist wrest isn't out of the question, then definitely consider it, not least because they're usually better than anything that comes with a keyboard. The first thing I do when I buy a keyboard is throw the wrist rest in the bin, because it's never as comfortable as the dedicated ones I already have on my desk. I have two large ones for my elbows, and one small one at my mouse. They're nice and thick, densely padded and non slip. It took me a little trial and error over the years to find ones I really love, but they're not particularly expensive products. If you really wanted to, you could probably just glue one to the keyboard so it remained in place.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 03:46:00 »
wireless + fullsize is rare, but it seems you want wireless for your phone and not for not having wires, someone made a usb to bluetooth adapter and someone else a ps/2 to bluetooth adapter on hackaday, those projects may be of use to you, if you are willing to do a bit of soldering that is.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Demonseed Elite

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 19:12:30 »
God.  I just found this post Googling around because I'm in the EXACT same predicament!  I'd kill for a G613 with GOOD switches.  I game on my couch.  I have a monitor on a swing-arm mount and the arm of the couch is my mousepad.  The keyboard sits on my lap... so just like the OP, that attached wrist-rest is a must because in your lap, you need someplace to rest your wrists and anchor the keyboard.  The wireless for me is a must, because when I get up, I place the keyboard off to my left side and my computer is under the end-table to my right, so a corded keyboard would have a wire going across my lap.  The macro-keys on the left are a huge bonus.  Full-size is a must.  I use my ten-key daily.  I like having my arrows and 6-pad separate as well. 

Honestly, the physical construction of the G613 is just friggin perfect... aside from the terrible, god-awful crap switches. 

I don't suppose in the couple years since, there's anything new on the market... is there?