Author Topic: My Ergodox Review  (Read 4176 times)

Offline ephson

My Ergodox Review
« on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:19:01 »
If anyone is interested, here is my ergodox review:
http://victorops.com/blog/ergodox-quest-build-better-keyboard-continues/

Unfortunately I am still not using them every day. I am hoping to change that soon by forcing myself to use them (I have 2) at home and work for a month. The biggest hurdle for me is coding, I am having a hard time adjusting to the movement of the symbol keys, I bought a couple sets of legend stickers, that I will be putting on this weekend, to see if it helps.

Feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer them.
If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. – Vincent van Gogh

"If you want to learn something, read about it; if you want to understand something, write about it; if you want to master something, program it."

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: My Ergodox Review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 08:25:25 »
Interesting review there. I wish you good luck with your new keyboard!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ephson

If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. – Vincent van Gogh

"If you want to learn something, read about it; if you want to understand something, write about it; if you want to master something, program it."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 06:30:54 »
Your comparison table isn't correct.

The comparison of "ergonomics" ignores, whether the keyboard is flat, or curved.

The "Kenisis" is "Kinesis Advantage" in actuality. Input Nirvana, Lanx and others have made it fully split, added arcade buttons to it,... there are even a few threads about custom controllers. All Kinesis Advantage keyboards support on-the-fly macros and remapping out of the box, only the cheapest version of Kinesis Contoured (made until ~2002) didn't.

TECK already officially supports remapping using a web UI. You can obviously replace most keycaps and switches (with some soldering).

Finding a tenting solution can be a pain.
Kinesis V3

The ErgoDox is large and heavy, especially if you get the “full hand” size case (which I recommend).
Mine weighs under about 0.6 kg; I wouldn't call that heavy. I've carried it around, more or less as a part of EDC. It isn't full hand, nor do I recommend getting a full hand one, because of portability and preference for "floating" typing technique.

I would also suggest not trying to learn a new keyboard layout when switching to the ErgoDox, you will just make your life harder.
I recommend the exact opposite. Keep your QWERTY skills on the ordinary staggered layout and learn something efficient to be used on an ergonomic keyboard. It's easier to maintain separate muscle memories.

I share your interest in the Axios though.

Offline ephson

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 10:32:07 »
Thank you for the feedback. I will update the table as soon as I get a chance. (I did not realize the editor made this an image, I may just delete it.)

All Kinesis Advantage keyboards support on-the-fly macros and remapping out of the box
TECK already officially supports remapping using a web UI.
I did not realize these were the case, I will have to do some more reading and update things. So, the only programable advantage the Ergodox has is layers, correct?

I completely forgot about the Kinesis V3. I even meant to order one, guess that's what happens when it takes 3 months to get parts and then another one of procrastination to put everything together. Thank you for the reminder.

I will update my full hand recommendation, I cannot do the floating hand technique, not mater how hard I try. I will add that info to the recommendation.

It's easier to maintain separate muscle memories.
I may have to give this a try again. I am having serious issues being productive on my Ergodox. This may be a way to break through and get productive.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 August 2014, 11:21:52 »
As I wrote, Kinesis Advantage supports on-the-fly macros and remapping. In addition, it has one extra layer, if you use their proprietary foot switch. I think the numpad mode could be considered a layer as well. The other features like Windows/MacInTrash/International modifiers and QWERTY/DSK layouts aren't really customizable.

OTOH the ErgoDox doesn't support on-the-fly configuration, at least as long as you use ordinary Teensy with Ben's firmware. You have to recompile/reflash the firmware. There's a thread (in the workshop subforum) about controller/firmware with support for online changes on both kinesis and ergodox though. I think TMK firmware has some experimental code for setting macros on the go as well.

Moreover, it should be noted that Kinesis Advantage comes with regular warranty and a 60 day trial period, while ErgoDox is available only as a DIY kit, although e.g., FalbaTech offers complete assembly and some sort of warranty.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 00:13:07 »
Neat blog. i like seeing write ups on the net, it helps further our "cause".

There are going to be some dramatic alterations regarding the "standard" with the new Kinesis Advantage later this year and the non-teensy work that is being done here on GH. I have little doubt we are on the threshold of a revolution with programmability and adding more functionality to keyboards.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~