Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3056014 times)

Offline jonlorusso

Re: swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #1200 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 16:54:39 »
If you have feature requests, now is the time to refresh my memory and get them in my queue.

I often find myself adding a trackpoint hole as a post-processing step. i may be part of a small minority of people who use/add trackpoints to mechs so perhaps not general enough to include, but wanted to throw it out there.

also I wanted to ask what the possibility of -generating- a PCB design based on based on the input or output to your tool? I only hand wire and have never designed a PCB so I wouldn't know if it's too complex for a tool like this.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #1201 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:13:13 »
Generating a PCB would be pretty tricky. Routing for different styles (ortholinear vs each way of staggering, plus odd layouts) makes that pretty challenging. I've been working on learning to make my own keyboard pcbs and it's a challenge to get everything routed. If swill can pull it off in his spare time I will be VERY impressed.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1202 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:34:52 »
Generating a PCB would be pretty tricky. Routing for different styles (ortholinear vs each way of staggering, plus odd layouts) makes that pretty challenging. I've been working on learning to make my own keyboard pcbs and it's a challenge to get everything routed. If swill can pull it off in his spare time I will be VERY impressed.
There are other issues: are you going to use a Teensy? An Arduino? An embedded microcontroller? What are the dimensions of the board? Will it have holes/slots other than those of the switches?

The number of variables are too many to make an automated PCB generator. And there is also the problem of auto-routing algorithms producing crap traces. The really good algorithms costs a small fortune, in the thousands of dollars.

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1203 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 19:52:50 »
one other fairly time consuming thing I've found myself doing quite often is creating a reinforcement plate when using 1.5mm acrylic. the reinforcement plate is identical to the generated plate but with slightly larger switch holes and gets mounted directly underneath the switch plate. I can provide an example of this description isn't clear.  this would likely be very useful to everyone using acrylic as 1.5mm is not really strong enough on its own, but thicker sheets need glue because the switches do not snap in.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1204 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:49:13 »
Great work, swill!

Thanks.  I need to send you a few drawings for you to review and make sure there is nothing spectacularly wrong with them.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1205 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:53:11 »
If you have feature requests, now is the time to refresh my memory and get them in my queue.

I often find myself adding a trackpoint hole as a post-processing step. i may be part of a small minority of people who use/add trackpoints to mechs so perhaps not general enough to include, but wanted to throw it out there.

also I wanted to ask what the possibility of -generating- a PCB design based on based on the input or output to your tool? I only hand wire and have never designed a PCB so I wouldn't know if it's too complex for a tool like this.

The trackpoint is an interesting idea.  Is it pretty consistent in terms of placement and size and such?  That does not seem like a huge deal to add.

As for the PCB generator.  This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time.  If I did this, I would probably start with suggesting a handwired matrix and then working from there.  If I can get a hand wired matrix to be pretty solid, I would consider looking into getting it into an actual PCB format.  I am also looking at potentially outputting a hex file to flash to the controller assuming you use the matrix I provide.  This is not an easy feature though, so this would be many months off if I do tackle it.  Good ideas though...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1206 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:55:10 »
There are other issues: are you going to use a Teensy? An Arduino? An embedded microcontroller? What are the dimensions of the board? Will it have holes/slots other than those of the switches?

The number of variables are too many to make an automated PCB generator. And there is also the problem of auto-routing algorithms producing crap traces. The really good algorithms costs a small fortune, in the thousands of dollars.

Yes, exactly.  This is why I would start with a hand wired matrix and you would pick what type of controller you would be using and I would basically just specify what pins to solder to on the controller (whichever one you pick from the ones I support).  This would be a great start and would also allow me to start looking into generating the hex for it, but this is very complex...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1207 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 20:59:25 »
one other fairly time consuming thing I've found myself doing quite often is creating a reinforcement plate when using 1.5mm acrylic. the reinforcement plate is identical to the generated plate but with slightly larger switch holes and gets mounted directly underneath the switch plate. I can provide an example of this description isn't clear.  this would likely be very useful to everyone using acrylic as 1.5mm is not really strong enough on its own, but thicker sheets need glue because the switches do not snap in.

I already have this as a hidden feature of the tool.  I have not explained it very well, but it is documented here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65189.msg1685418#msg1685418

One thing I need to do still to make it absolutely viable is to also grow the costar stabilizer cutouts.  This functionality only exists for the square switch cutouts and I am going to be adding the grow variables to the costar as well (not implemented yet) because you need extra space for the costar stabilizers to fit.  Let me know if you have problems understanding how it works or if you have more questions or suggestions to make it better...

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1208 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 21:08:04 »
Yes, exactly.  This is why I would start with a hand wired matrix and you would pick what type of controller you would be using and I would basically just specify what pins to solder to on the controller (whichever one you pick from the ones I support).  This would be a great start and would also allow me to start looking into generating the hex for it, but this is very complex...
If I'm not mistaken there is a drag-and-drop firmware generator for handwired keyboards using a Teensy. I believe I saw that on Planck's site, but I can be wrong.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1209 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 21:13:59 »
If I'm not mistaken there is a drag-and-drop firmware generator for handwired keyboards using a Teensy. I believe I saw that on Planck's site, but I can be wrong.

oh thats interesting.  I will need to looking for that to see how it works...  :)

Offline scott_squires

• Astrospark Technologies
« Reply #1210 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 21:31:38 »
That's a nice performance boost. Big improvement!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1211 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 21:40:03 »
That's a nice performance boost. Big improvement!

Ya, pretty much night and day.  Complicated layouts that used to take like 15 minutes to render now take about 2-3 seconds.  :)

Offline nephiel

« Reply #1212 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 04:35:36 »

The trackpoint is an interesting idea.  Is it pretty consistent in terms of placement and size and such?  That does not seem like a huge deal to add.
I second the TrackPoint idea. Most non-split keyboards have it between the G, H and B keys, but this is all about custom building - some prefer it between H, J, N, and then there are split layouts, where it can be near a thumb, or even have more than one. At the plate level it's just a 9mm round hole (smaller if you use a thinner post) so it could go anywhere.

IMHO the best way to go about this is to have a special TrackPoint key added to the Layout Editor tool, and then have the Plate Builder draw that as a 9mm hole by default. Then maybe add an option to the Plate Builder to specify the hole diameter.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1213 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 13:06:03 »

I second the TrackPoint idea. Most non-split keyboards have it between the G, H and B keys, but this is all about custom building - some prefer it between H, J, N, and then there are split layouts, where it can be near a thumb, or even have more than one. At the plate level it's just a 9mm round hole (smaller if you use a thinner post) so it could go anywhere.

IMHO the best way to go about this is to have a special TrackPoint key added to the Layout Editor tool, and then have the Plate Builder draw that as a 9mm hole by default. Then maybe add an option to the Plate Builder to specify the hole diameter.
Getting a trackpoint added to the layout editor may be tough. The source is available, so I could do a pull request, but I have not been able to get in touch with the author.  Also, the track point is a bit hard to represent in the concept of the rows because it lives between them.

I was thinking of doing it kind of like "below row '#' and right of key '#'". This would let you place it anywhere in the layout. I could use '0' to be above the first row or left of a first key in order to be able to put it anywhere.

That was my idea. Then I would not have to worry about figuring out how to make it fit into the raw layout.  Does this make sense?

Offline nephiel

« Reply #1214 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:09:26 »
The layout editor allows moving and resizing keys in 0.25u increments so placing them in between rows is possible, I've been messing with this for a while: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/51ac87a7fc9215054ed4dd40f9f3e686

BTW, the author updated it recently so I guess he's active.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline jonlorusso

« Reply #1215 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:21:42 »
interesting.  swill, given what you are doing with space bar matching, could you not assume a .25u key is a trackpoint, or perhaps more generally, a  (round/screw) hole? this might be useful for things other than trackpoints (eg., non-standard mid-plate mounting screws). futhermore .25u is too small for any switch, so normally I'd assume you are just ignoring these keys?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1216 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 18:49:06 »

oh thats interesting.  I will need to looking for that to see how it works...  :)
Found it, it was indeed on Planck's site: http://planckkeyboard.com/matrix.html

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1217 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:38:34 »
The layout editor allows moving and resizing keys in 0.25u increments so placing them in between rows is possible, I've been messing with this for a while: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/51ac87a7fc9215054ed4dd40f9f3e686

BTW, the author updated it recently so I guess he's active.

I understand what you are doing here.  You are basically making it it's own row.

Code: [Select]
[{r:45,rx:6.75,ry:3,y:-0.25,x:-0.25,c:"#cc0000",t:"#000000",p:"TrackPoint Cap",a:4,w:0.5,h:0.5},""],
To be honest, this probably would break my builder, but I would have to try. 

It is much easier for me (and the end user) if they don't have to modify the layout in order to add the trackpoint.  It is easier for them if they just have to count and say "I want it here below row 2 and right of key 6".  But that might not be flexible enough since I would just be centering it in the space there.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1218 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:41:49 »
interesting.  swill, given what you are doing with space bar matching, could you not assume a .25u key is a trackpoint, or perhaps more generally, a  (round/screw) hole? this might be useful for things other than trackpoints (eg., non-standard mid-plate mounting screws). futhermore .25u is too small for any switch, so normally I'd assume you are just ignoring these keys?

If you specify it, I draw it.  This is how I can support things like both styles of caps lock and such.  So if you draw two keys that take up the same space, I will draw two keys that take up the same space.  If I try to get too fancy with making interpretations in the parsing logic things will get more complex.  Its not to say it can't be done, but I am not sure its the right place to do it in this case. 

Just for the record.  I will always make the minimum width of a key 1u.  I could make the 1u configurable, but right now it is set to 19.05mm.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1219 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 19:43:55 »

Found it, it was indeed on Planck's site: http://planckkeyboard.com/matrix.html

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing this.  I will have a look over it when I have some time.  Do you know who the author is (I am assuming they are on here or DT).   

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1220 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 21:26:23 »
Very cool.  Thanks for sharing this.  I will have a look over it when I have some time.  Do you know who the author is (I am assuming they are on here or DT).
I think it was made by jackhumbert himself. If not, he knows who did it.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1221 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 00:20:01 »
Just an FYI, when using the new version of the builder and then uploading the resulting DXF to BigBlueSaw, I now get an error such as "The quoting system detected 69 non-closed contours." This resulted in a drawing that contained only the switch and stab cutouts, no mount holes or plate outline are detected.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 00:29:25 by abjr »
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1222 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 14:09:05 »
Just an FYI, when using the new version of the builder and then uploading the resulting DXF to BigBlueSaw, I now get an error such as "The quoting system detected 69 non-closed contours." This resulted in a drawing that contained only the switch and stab cutouts, no mount holes or plate outline are detected.
I will look into it. Thanks. It may be because I converted polygons to lines when I created the dxf. I will try without changing the polygons.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1223 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 14:10:24 »
Can you send me your layout so I can be working with the same data (to simplify debugging).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1224 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 07:35:29 »

Strange, I am not able to reproduce this with your layout.  I am getting: "The quoting system detected 0 non-closed contours."

I tested each switch type and most combinations with stabilizers.  What switch and stabilizer cutouts are you using?  Can you test again and let me know if you get the same result?

Offline scott_squires

• Astrospark Technologies
« Reply #1225 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:44:13 »

Yes, Jack Humbert wrote it. He mostly participates at reddit (https://www.reddit.com/user/jackhumbert).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1226 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 12:45:31 »

Yes, Jack Humbert wrote it. He mostly participates at reddit (https://www.reddit.com/user/jackhumbert).
Thx. :)

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1227 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:24:30 »

Strange, I am not able to reproduce this with your layout.  I am getting: "The quoting system detected 0 non-closed contours."

I tested each switch type and most combinations with stabilizers.  What switch and stabilizer cutouts are you using?  Can you test again and let me know if you get the same result?

Standard cutout
Costar Only
Sandwich
number of holes=8, diameter=3
width padding=7
height padding=7
plate corner=2
kerf=off

Downloaded the DXF and uploaded it to BBS and I get: "The quoting system detected 76 non-closed contours."

I'll send you the .dxf as well if you like.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1228 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:30:14 »

Standard cutout
Costar Only
Sandwich
width padding=7
height padding=7
plate corner=2
kerf=off

Downloaded the DXF and uploaded it to BBS and I get: "The quoting system detected 76 non-closed contours."

OK. I will test this as soon as I get on the train.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1229 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 15:51:44 »

Standard cutout
Costar Only
Sandwich
width padding=7
height padding=7
plate corner=2
kerf=off

I have reproduced the problem.  It looks like both the rounded corners and the circles are causing the problem.  In this case you get 76 with both rounded corners and the sandwich plate.  If you turn off rounded corners, you get 44.  If I draw without holes or rounded corners I don't have any issues.  I will review these findings with Simon at BBS.  I know he uses the same software to convert an SVG to DXF that I use, so I will see if he has some tips for me.  Thanks for the heads up...

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #1230 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 21:33:24 »
If you're still seeking suggestions for the next improvement, I have to put forward rotated keys as my preferred option. Rotation as per ergodox. Useful to many.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1231 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 22:09:10 »
If you're still seeking suggestions for the next improvement, I have to put forward rotated keys as my preferred option. Rotation as per ergodox. Useful to many.

Yes, this is one that is on my list for sure.  I do support rotating keys and stabilizers (independently) in place around their center, but I do not yet support rotating a cluster of keys around a point.  I will be looking into this one soon as it is an often requested feature.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1232 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 22:10:47 »
Tonight I fixed a bug with staggered (ergo style) layouts that caused the plate to draw larger than it should.

Thanks Eszett for the bug report.  :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1233 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 23:01:04 »

Standard cutout
Costar Only
Sandwich
width padding=7
height padding=7
plate corner=2
kerf=off

This is fixed!!!

Wanted to give a big shout out to Simon at BBS for the help tracking down the source of the problem.  There were issues converting the 'fill' color when exporting to DXF, so I have removed the fill color.  I have retested your layout and it is working perfectly now.  :)

Enjoy...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1234 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 03:37:27 »
I used this today for my keyboard, I haven't put it together yet, but this made it soo easy. I took my layout and within an two hours had it all cut (low powered laser).
Awesome work!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73282.0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1235 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:04:54 »
I used this today for my keyboard, I haven't put it together yet, but this made it soo easy. I took my layout and within an two hours had it all cut (low powered laser).
Awesome work!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73282.0

Nice, I am glad it was helpful.  :)  I have been slowly chipping away at it.  It is pretty solid now, but I am still looking to add more features.  :)

Offline chzel

« Reply #1236 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:10:04 »
Perhaps this has been already answered, but I didn't find anything!
In the old version of the tool, I could "stack" switches (for example a normal CapsLock and a stepped one) and the generator would ignore the superfluous lines and make the correct cutout for both switches. Same for spacebar cutouts.
Also the middle hole for a poker mount 60% is broken in the same way.
Below is the layout I tested with.
Thank you for your great job!
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock",{x:-1.75,g:true,w:1.25,w2:1.75,l:true},"",{x:0.5,g:false},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:6.25},"",{x:-3},"",{x:2,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1237 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 06:26:15 »
In the old version of the tool, I could "stack" switches (for example a normal CapsLock and a stepped one) and the generator would ignore the superfluous lines and make the correct cutout for both switches. Same for spacebar cutouts.
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace"],
[{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\"],
[{w:1.75},"Caps Lock",{x:-1.75,g:true,w:1.25,w2:1.75,l:true},"",{x:0.5,g:false},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter"],
[{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:2.75},"Shift"],
[{w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:6.25},"",{x:-3},"",{x:2,w:1.25},"Alt",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Menu",{w:1.25},"Ctrl"]
I will have to look at that functionality. It is definitely harder for me to do now. I will have to see if I can figure out a way to support stacking keys again.

What is wrong with the poker case option?  I have tested that quite a bit and I thought it was working correctly. Can you send me a screenshot?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1238 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 07:54:04 »

I had a look.  I should be able to fix the stacked keys, but it will take me a bit of time because I have to actually write an algorithm to do a union of key cutouts if two adjacent keys will overlap.  Hopefully I can find a way to do this without too much of a challenge.

As for the center hole in the poker case, I may not be able to fix that easily.  Circles are very hard to do polygon union with since they are not technically polygons.  Also, the keys and the holes are drawn at very different parts of the program and it will be hard for me to determine if there are boundary crossings and be able adjust for them when it comes to the holes.  That one we may just have to deal with.  A laser cutter should not have a problem with it as it is drawn.

I will see if I can come up with a solution for the stacked key union asap...

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1239 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:52:00 »
This is fixed!!!

Wanted to give a big shout out to Simon at BBS for the help tracking down the source of the problem.  There were issues converting the 'fill' color when exporting to DXF, so I have removed the fill color.  I have retested your layout and it is working perfectly now.  :)

Enjoy...

You're the man. Thanks to Simon as well :) Also, it's cool to see Big Blue Saw listed as a sponsor on BattleBots ;-)

Offline chzel

« Reply #1240 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:28:10 »
Thank you for taking the time to address the issues! Your tool is godsend for the CAD-illiterate among us!

Offline Arvid

« Reply #1241 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:04:40 »
Speaking of CAD-illiterate, so I get these problems when I upload the .dxf to Blue Saw after using the playe building tool:
  • You have areas inside the part which cross to outside of the part.
  • The outside perimeter to be cut could not be computed.
  • You have areas inside the part which cross each other.
  • Big Blue Saw cannot currently provide automatic quotes for parts greater than 47 x 35 inches in size. Please contact us for a quote on your part.
I am using Switch type 2, cherry stabilizers, Poker as case type, 2.5 mm as rounded corners and this is the layout I am trying to get cut:
[{c:"#b81b24",a:7},"ESC",{c:"#c4c8c5"},"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0","?\n+","`\n´","°",{c:"#909596"},"BSPC"],
[{w:1.5},"TAB",{c:"#c4c8c5"},"Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P",{a:5},"\n\n\n\n\n\nÅ",{a:7},"^\n¨\n\n\n\n\n^",{x:0.25,c:"#0075ad",w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},"ENTER"],
[{c:"#909596",w:1.75},"CTRL",{c:"#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L","Ö\n;\n\n\n\n\nÖ","Ä\n'","*\n'\n\n\n\n\n*"],
[{c:"#909596",w:1.25},"SHIFT",{c:"#cccccc"},">\n<","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M",";\n,",":\n.",{a:5},"_\n-",{c:"#909596",a:7,w:1.75},"SHIFT","FN 3"],
[{x:1.5},"SUPER",{w:1.5},"ALT",{w:1.5},"FN 1",{w:3},"",{w:1.5},"FN 2",{w:1.5},"ALT","SUPER"]

Is there anything I can do as a CAD-Illiterate to fix these issues?

Offline chzel

« Reply #1242 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:20:16 »
If I recall correctly you need to open the dxf in LibreCAD and set the drawing dimension to mm instead of inches, and save.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #1243 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:34:17 »
If I recall correctly you need to open the dxf in LibreCAD and set the drawing dimension to mm instead of inches, and save.
Since that message was removed from Swill's site I thought that was not needed anymore, but I will try.

EDIT:
It seems to have worked a bit I get these 'errors' instead:
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:42:16 by Arvid »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1244 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:22:50 »
Speaking of CAD-illiterate, so I get these problems when I upload the .dxf to Blue Saw after using the playe building tool:
  • Big Blue Saw cannot currently provide automatic quotes for parts greater than 47 x 35 inches in size. Please contact us for a quote on your part.
I am using Switch type 2, cherry stabilizers, Poker as case type, 2.5 mm as rounded corners and this is the layout I am trying to get cut:
[{c:"#b81b24",a:7},"ESC",{c:"#c4c8c5"},"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0","?\n+","`\n´","°",{c:"#909596"},"BSPC"],
[{w:1.5},"TAB",{c:"#c4c8c5"},"Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P",{a:5},"\n\n\n\n\n\nÅ",{a:7},"^\n¨\n\n\n\n\n^",{x:0.25,c:"#0075ad",w:1.25,h:2,w2:1.5,h2:1,x2:-0.25},"ENTER"],
[{c:"#909596",w:1.75},"CTRL",{c:"#cccccc"},"A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L","Ö\n;\n\n\n\n\nÖ","Ä\n'","*\n'\n\n\n\n\n*"],
[{c:"#909596",w:1.25},"SHIFT",{c:"#cccccc"},">\n<","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M",";\n,",":\n.",{a:5},"_\n-",{c:"#909596",a:7,w:1.75},"SHIFT","FN 3"],
[{x:1.5},"SUPER",{w:1.5},"ALT",{w:1.5},"FN 1",{w:3},"",{w:1.5},"FN 2",{w:1.5},"ALT","SUPER"]

Is there anything I can do as a CAD-Illiterate to fix these issues?

You have to click the "Convert to Millimeters" button when you upload the DXF to BBS.  That will get rid of the "Big Blue Saw cannot currently provide automatic quotes for parts greater than 47 x 35 inches in size" issue.

Make sure you use a recent DXF download and you don't have any "The quoting system detected # non-closed contours" issues.  I made a change recently that fixes that. 

If you are still having problems, let me know and I will see what I can figure out.  I suspect the fact that it is not in MM right now is what is causing your problems...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1245 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:24:15 »

Not any more.  You can now just click on the "Convert to Millimeters" in the BBS.  The measurements in the DXF file are in MM, but the units are not included (yet).  BBS can convert it to MM for you though, they just default to inches...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1246 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:25:29 »
Since that message was removed from Swill's site I thought that was not needed anymore, but I will try.

EDIT:

What case type are you using?  The poker case with the standard cutouts?  I will test when on the train...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #1247 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:50:20 »

EDIT:

Ok, I am pretty sure you are using the Poker case.  Right?  And you are using the middle cutout (MX and Alps compatible).  Right? 

In this case the center hole crosses the boundary of the switches to each side of it.  I did not realize this was a problem until now.  The problem is only with the Poker case and the middle switch cutout.  I will see what I can do to fix this.

Thanks for letting me know...

Offline Arvid

« Reply #1248 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:56:59 »

EDIT:

Ok, I am pretty sure you are using the Poker case.  Right?  And you are using the middle cutout (MX and Alps compatible).  Right? 

In this case the center hole crosses the boundary of the switches to each side of it.  I did not realize this was a problem until now.  The problem is only with the Poker case and the middle switch cutout.  I will see what I can do to fix this.

Thanks for letting me know...

Sorry I should have quoted my earlier post, yes I am using the Poker case and the middle switch cut out.

Offline chzel

« Reply #1249 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 17:22:10 »
I forgot to mention that I was using type 2 cutout as well when I said the middle hole is broken!