Author Topic: GON Skinny Review!  (Read 5014 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
GON Skinny Review!
« on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:14:33 »
I would like to start by saying that GON's customer support during this entire experience was incredible! When my PCB had issues after soldering (which was later isolated to a problem in controller), he offered me a discount on a new PCB, which he had absolutely no obligation to do! furthermore, his shipping was incredibly fast, getting from South Korea to Connecticut USA in just two days!

This all began when I decided to invest in a new Korean keyboard. After browsing the vast information stored within geekhack I was eventually convinced to try out GON's services. After pilling together a full shopping cart, I took the leep.

This board has become my daily carry board for a couple of reasons. For one it is extremely light, weighing in at a bit over .6 pounds! Moreover I chose the hard anodization feature for the "case" which is more durable against scratches, and I can say has done a great job so far doing just that. Lastly, with a quieter switch like MX browns I can just lay this board across my laptop and use it in public settings without getting too many looks :p.

When I first thought about buying this I had doubts about the value of minimalism and if it was really worth the $250 odd dollars it cost me to build the keyboard from parts GON provided.The design of the Skinny is obviously minimal, utilizing a single bent piece of aluminum it shouts "I'm the kind of person who pays more for less." But seriously, it looks good, and in reality really separates itself from the rest of the designs on the keyboard market. When I first saw it I immediately compared it  to the  wireless apple keyboard which is similarly small and stylish.However, after installing the black nerd 60 PCB that I bought as part of the recent group buy it really gained a new beauty that made it very different from anything else I have encountered. One downside of this design however is that because of how light it is and how little contact it makes with the surface it is sitting on, it tends to slide. To fix this I applied some foam tape to the bottom of the PCB and that was effective enough to solve the issue.

photos of the board: http://imgur.com/a/RQ7ZC
(note these are only temporary caps. Also, my soldering station was in repair and my backup has less than optimal heat conductivity, rendering some of the less than beautiful marks on the PCB :p :thumb:)

The construction quality on all the parts was great. I could not notice any flaws in the anodization on the case or on the PCB. I did have that issue I described with the controller on my original PCB however GON was redeemed with his friendly and responsive customer service.

The usability is obviously good, assuming you like the 60% style. The NerD software for reprogramming the board worked very well and was very little hassle. Im not going to linger too much on this point because im sure you all have your own opinions on this subject.

Overall the Skinny is a great little keyboard for anyone looking for an easy entry into Korean keyboards. I have had plenty of experience assembling other keyboards and I can say that this project was one that I can recommend to anyone looking to get an entry into the hobby. The value proposition for this board is more complicated. Although the design is obviously custom, it doesn't not have the flashyness, weight, or features that many other boards in this price point do. That said I am happy with the purchase. From the satisfying clunk of the keycaps on the metal to the open bottom that lets me admire my handywork, it provides a truly unique typing experience that strays away from the standard designs that we have all become accustom to. Of course I have written this review typing on my GON Skinny and I can say it is a fun experience as well, that I cant see myself trading or selling any time soon.

Let me know if you have enjoyed this review, I have some other boards that I could review if anyone is interested!
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 November 2014, 22:27:44 by drhubblephd »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: GON Skinny Review!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 08:23:57 »
Great review! Two things: the main thing I'm afraid of with this board would be that if I was carrying it around and moving it all the time, stuff would hit the PCB and scratch or hurt it. Did you ever have any problems with that? Also, does the case have any give to it when typing, or does the sturdiness feel on par with a regular plate mounted case?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 09:38:21 »
Great review! Two things: the main thing I'm afraid of with this board would be that if I was carrying it around and moving it all the time, stuff would hit the PCB and scratch or hurt it. Did you ever have any problems with that? Also, does the case have any give to it when typing, or does the sturdiness feel on par with a regular plate mounted case?

The sturdiness is great, absolutely no flex when typing. The plate is probably a quarter inch thick. As for carrying it around, I usually put the board up against a book or binder so that the PCB doesn't ever get scratched. You could of course use a case, and I'm working on getting one!

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 23:26:42 »
Nice review, and great work by GON again! Hehe, thanks for the review!

(now I am tempted to buy myself a GON)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 23:38:46 »

Yeah I can endorse him whole heartedly, I don't have experience with his pre built stuff but I'm sure that is super high quality as well! Of course if you are feeling up to it, building it from parts isn't all that bad if you have some experience, GON has all the parts you need to put it together.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 23:49:51 by drhubblephd »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 00:22:12 »

Yeah I can endorse him whole heartedly, I don't have experience with his pre built stuff but I'm sure that is super high quality as well! Of course if you are feeling up to it, building it from parts isn't all that bad if you have some experience, GON has all the parts you need to put it together.

I think the fun in GONs are that you get to build them yourself (or for any Kustom), but that's just me and other people's opinion may vary.

Offline blackbee045

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 01:56:22 »
I have had plenty of experience assembling other keyboards and I can say that this project was one that I can recommend to anyone looking to get an entry into the hobby. The value proposition for this board is more complicated. Although the design is obviously custom, it doesn't not have the flashyness, weight, or features that many other boards in this price point do. That said I am happy with the purchase. From the satisfying clunk of the keycaps on the metal to the open bottom that lets me admire my handywork, it provides a truly unique typing experience that strays away from the standard designs that we have all become accustom to. Of course I have written this review typing on my GON Skinny and I can say it is a fun experience as well, that I cant see myself trading or selling any time soon.
Worried about Testking 350-060 marks in  IBM latest resource Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Our 646-578 contains all those California Institute of Technology You can get our Rasmussen College

Offline feizor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 02:24:08 »
Looks great! Would look even more amazing if you install some and LEDs! Just course if you have considered adding something to the back edge, USB port side, to prevent scratching table/laptop and protecting the plate?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:56:53 »
Thank you for the review. This case is similar to the Infinity's steel bended option offered in a set with PCB and switches <$100 in a recent MD GB, that was however in a different price range than GON's that is >$250, but is this with PCB and switches?.

While it is aesthetically nice, the main concern with it is that the back of the PCB has no protection. When it is on a desk this not a problem at all, but it may be an issue if you carry it in a bag where the back of the PCB could be damage.

Again, TY for the review.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:04:29 »
Looks great! Would look even more amazing if you install some and LEDs! Just course if you have considered adding something to the back edge, USB port side, to prevent scratching table/laptop and protecting the plate?

Yeah I'm going to be installing some LEDs as soon as my order arrives! Just bought some blue and grey dsa caps and I will be adding some blue LED backlighting.

I have considered adding something to the back, but so far it is handling the day to day just fine, I bought a pouch as well that I now use to carry it around.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:07:30 »
Thank you for the review. This case is similar to the Infinity's steel bended option offered in a set with PCB and switches <$100 in a recent MD GB, that was however in a different price range than GON's that is >$250, but is this with PCB and switches?.

While it is aesthetically nice, the main concern with it is that the back of the PCB has no protection. When it is on a desk this not a problem at all, but it may be an issue if you carry it in a bag where the back of the PCB could be damage.

Again, TY for the review.

Yeah it is very similar to the infinity, in fact I believe the creators of the infinity commented on mass drop about it and said that they had no clue when the designed it.

The $250 includes all the parts I needed to assemble the whole thing so that includes switches, lube, stickers, diodes, ect..