Author Topic: Has anyone made a shape file for Kinesis keywell plates?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline autoturk

Has anyone made a shape file for Kinesis keywell plates?
« on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 13:32:37 »
Hi all, I feel like I saw this on this board but can't find it. Has someone made a shape file of the plastic plates on the Kinesis Advantage keywells so that they can be 3d printed? Thinking of handwiring one, and can't stomach paying $100 for the full kit.

Thanks!

Offline nevin

Re: Has anyone made a shape file for Kinesis keywell plates?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 14:08:05 »
that's what the dactyl is. a true split version of the kinesis keywells
search around, sure there's a handful of ready to print files as well as a couple file generators

here's a web based one that's very simple to use (much easier than manipulating the clojure code yourself)
https://dactyl.siskam.link/
light cycle = dactyl
manuform = dactyl/manuform

https://github.com/adereth/dactyl-keyboard
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 09:39:59 »
@vvp  ....still amazes me how clean your builds are.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline vvp

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 15:18:38 »

I'm using K84CS all the time. As for as the keywell shape, it is the same as the free K80CS files except the additional 4 buttons and a tiny bit tighter key spacing.
K80CS is very similar to Kinesis. I used Kinesis for about 12 years and I wanted some improvements to it. The result was K80CS and K84CS. I still plan to return to it eventually. Especially better mouse support (either analog joystick/trackpoint or analog home row keys with programmable force feedback). And software improvements. I have some ideas how to do it all but I did not have any time in the last few years.
I hope to return to this keyboard project ... eventually ... when I retire in the worst case  :eek:

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 15:26:23 »
mouse support..... i just saw the ploopy co has a small trackball on their site now. would be a good option for those looking for a small footprint/decent size trackball for use with a split ergo setup. (i have the ploopy mouse)

Offline vvp

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:04:44 »
I don't want a big thing. I do not want to need to move my hand to control a mouse pointer. I do not see how I can achieve that with a trackball.

Most people put a big trackball somewhere in the middle of a keyboard. Definitely a no go for me also because I insist on a split design. Other option I have seen is a trackball somewhere in a thumb cluster but I value thumb keys more than a pointer control. I'm not going to lower a number of comfortably reachable (thumb) keys for a track ball.

Offline Gorbon

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 04:34:44 »
Most people put a big trackball somewhere in the middle of a keyboard. Definitely a no go for me also because I insist on a split design. Other option I have seen is a trackball somewhere in a thumb cluster but I value thumb keys more than a pointer control. I'm not going to lower a number of comfortably reachable (thumb) keys for a track ball.
I know we're veering off-topic, but maybe a capacitive touch pad sensor on the left-half, under the thumb cluster? There seems to be some room there on the K80CS. Perhaps combined with an accelerometer for tap detection.

Integrating and programming it might be a challenge, but hey, one seems to have plenty of free time during retirement.  :)

Offline vvp

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:44:07 »
That may work. I could remove the LCD and that would free space for small track ball or touch pad. It would require slight hand move but not too bad. Maybe small touch screen would be best. I'll add this to the options to consider.
I'm not afraid about software. That is my primary job I do almost all my life at many problem domains, abstraction levels and with many programming languages.

Yeah, this is off topic. The thread starter wanted some Kinesis like models. K80CS is one of them and the thread on deskthority has many links to contoured keyboard projects. There is plenty of them now ... unlike the time when Katy project started :)