Author Topic: [COMPLETE] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th  (Read 13708 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
[COMPLETE] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th
« on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 10:01:44 »
Calling all mechanical keyboard fans! The first ever Mid-South meetup is being held in Nashville, TN this April. You'll have the opportunity to try just about every mechanical switch known to man in a wide array of configurations. Plenty of various key caps, boards and accessories will all be there for you to try all while talking with fellow members from GeekHack and Deskthority. As if that wasn't enough, we have also been invited for a personal tour of MechanicalKeyboards.com Showroom!

Details
   Date: Saturday, April 6th, 2013
   Time: 10:00am

Proposed Agenda
10:00am - 12:00pm - General Meet-and-Greet
We'll meet at a local downtown resturant where we can eat, drink and be merry. Bring your favorite keyboard(s) to show-off and share.  You'll be able to try out various different layouts and switch types and see how others have customized their boards.

Also scheduled to appear will be BossBorot's Ultimate Switch Tester Winter 2013 US Tour keyboard! :eek: This is a Filco TKL with virtually every Cherry MX switch imaginable. Everything from Green to Grey, Ergo Clears to Ghetto Reds. You'll have one-on-one time to see if your current switch is really your favorite.

12:00pm - 02:00pm - Visit Mechanical Keyboard Store
Load up and take a 20-minute drive out to Fairview, TN to visit Mechanical Keyboards. They aren't usually open on Saturdays, but ShakeR is opening up the store especially for us GeekHackers!

You'll also be able to purchase anything they have in stock at the time, including keyboards, key caps and accessories. Mechanical Keyboards is the US distributor for Ducky.

02:00pm - Till - Wrap Up In Nashville
After our visit to Fairview, we'll return to Nashville for everyone to grab their vehicles. If we haven't talked each other's ears off by then, we'll take the party elsewhere.

Attendees
Please reply to this thread if you plan on attending and let us know if you plan to bring anything for people to try/sample. Below is a current list of those attending:

::: People :::
   - mashby
   - CPTBadAss

::: Keyboards :::
   - Ultimate Switch Tester (Mx-Mixed)
   - Focus 2001 (Alps White)
   - KBC Poker (MX-Black)
   - KBT Pure CNC Limited Edition (MX-Blues)
   - KBT Race Pink Limited Edition (MX-Blues)
   - Filco MJ2 with Valentine's Set and DDR arrows (MX Blues)
   - Leopold FC700R with Imsto keycap set (MX Blues)
   - Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML)
   - Filco Tenkeypad with MX Browns

::: Parts :::
   - Silver Duck Poker Case
   - 3 Different Poker Plates
   - 2 Poker PCBs
   - Plate mounted MX-Red switches
   - Krytox 205 Grease
   - Krytox 103 Oil
   - Victorinox Oil
   - MKC Aluminium Key Puller
   - GH Stickers

::: Key Caps :::
   - Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag
   - Cream Cheese n Green (SP DCS Profile)
   - Black on Black PBT 104 (OEM Profile)
   - Grey on White PBT (OEM Profiles)
   - Filco Ninja MJ2 Caps
   - Stock FC700R Leopold PBT Caps
   - WASD Sample Pack (including O-Rings)
   - Soft Landing Pads
   - Various Novelty Key Caps
   - CTPBadAss' keycap collection

Original Post
Just curious if anyone would be interested in a meet-up in Nashville, TN? There was some discussion in the Chicagoland Meetup thread and it only made sense to discuss it in its own thread instead of hijacking the Chicago one.

Option 1: Hang Out & Nerd Out
If there are enough people in the Middle Tennessee area, we could just meet up in Nashville, TN, nerd out on keyboards, have a few drinks, etc. We could also make a run out to MechanicalKeyboards.com, which is about 20-minutes away. Figure we'd make it a Saturday and schedule time between 10am - 3pm, or longer if folks want to carry it on into the night.

Option 2: Let's Make A Weekend Of It
Another option is to make a run up to Unicomp which is about 4-hours away. Assuming they'd let us visit on a Saturday, we could rent a van and drive up to Lexington for a tour and maybe even spend the night. Either on the way up, or on the way back, we could hit the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and stop at a few distilleries and hopefully visit MechanicalKeyboards.com as well.

Depending how far people are willing to travel to get to Nashville, at most you're looking at two nights in a hotel, chipping in for van rental and gas. I'm happy to coordinate things if there's any interest.

Other Ideas?
That's just what's been suggested thus far, if anyone else has any other ideas, please share.  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 13:27:00 by mashby »

Offline theultrazord

Re: [IC] Mid-South Meetup?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 December 2012, 18:47:11 »
Actually I've always wanted to go visit the mechanicalkeyboards.com store since that is in middle TN. Unicomp sounds like a fun trip also.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:45:28 »
I'm game for either of these. I live in Cincinnati so Unicomp would be better for me but I'm more interested in mechanicalkeyboards.com's warehouse. I'd make the drive down to Nashville.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:12:14 »
By my count, it looks like there are three of us at least.  :))

I'm game for either of these. I live in Cincinnati so Unicomp would be better for me but I'm more interested in mechanicalkeyboards.com's warehouse. I'd make the drive down to Nashville.

MechanicalKeyboards is a fantastic place and great way to try a whole fleet of keyboards. The guys there are laid back and easy going, so it's a great place to visit. However, I don't want to paint the picture that there's a "warehouse" either because it's really more of a room. Oh, but what a great room it is!

Below are a couple of photos from my visit back in December:  Entrance and the Keyboard room

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:35:29 »
By my count, it looks like there are three of us at least.  :))

MechanicalKeyboards is a fantastic place and great way to try a whole fleet of keyboards. The guys there are laid back and easy going, so it's a great place to visit. However, I don't want to paint the picture that there's a "warehouse" either because it's really more of a room. Oh, but what a great room it is!

Below are a couple of photos from my visit back in December:  Entrance and the Keyboard room

OMG. I'm deifnitely making this drive now @.@.  That is so cool. Can you buy boards while you're in this glorious room?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 21:43:50 »
OMG. I'm deifnitely making this drive now @.@.  That is so cool. Can you buy boards while you're in this glorious room?

As many as you can carry. :-)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 22:29:28 »

As many as you can carry. :-)

I'm bringing a car man....that's a ton of keyboards. Think about it haha

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [IC] Mid-South Meet-up In April?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 17:45:38 »
Updated the original OP with the following:

Based on the original feedback, it sounds like the simpler the meetup the better. I don't have an ETA as of yet, but I figured we'd meet up one Saturday in Nashville, TN and spend most of the day geeking out on keyboards. The current time frame is sometime in April, 2013.

Proposed Agenda
10:00am - 12:00pm - General Meet-and-Greet
We'll meet at a local downtown resturant where we can eat, drink and be merry. Bring your favorite keyboard(s) to show-off and share.  You'll be able to try out various different layouts and switch types and see how others have customized their boards.

Also scheduled to appear will be BossBorot's Ultimate Switch Tester Winter 2013 US Tour keyboard! :eek: This is a Filco TKL with virtually every Cherry MX switch imaginable. Everything from Green to Grey, Ergo Clears to Ghetto Reds. You'll have one-on-one time to see if your current switch is really your favorite.

12:00pm - 02:00pm - Visit Mechanical Keyboard Store (Unconfirmed)
Load up and take a 20-minute drive out to Fairview, TN to visit Mechanical Keyboards. This is still tenative since they aren't open on Saturday's. We're awaiting confirmation to see if they would make an exception for us. The more we have confirmed the better to convince them it's worth the special effort.  ;D

You'll also be able to purchase anything they have in stock at the time, including keyboards, key caps and accessories. Mechanical Keyboards is the US distributor for Ducky.

02:00pm - 03:00pm - Wrap Up In Nashville
After our visit to Fairview, we'll return to Nashville for everyone to grab their vehicles. If we haven't talked each other's ears off by then, we'll take the party elsewhere.

Questions? Suggestions? Commments?
This is just a rough idea based on spending a half-day. If anyone has any other suggestions, or ideas, please share!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 21:38:25 »
I might be able to join from Virginia, TN and Lexington are both about 5.5 hours away from me.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 11:14:20 »
Just heard back from Mechanical Keyboards and they've agreed to open the store up just for us!

We'll need to firm things up as the Ultimate Switch Tester Winter 2013 US Tour keyboard makes the rounds and we're still about two-months out, but things are shaping up nicely!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:57:25 »
Just heard back from Mechanical Keyboards and they've agreed to open the store up just for us!

We'll need to firm things up as the Ultimate Switch Tester Winter 2013 US Tour keyboard makes the rounds and we're still about two-months out, but things are shaping up nicely!

Hooray! We get to meet ShakeR! And I didn't see a schedule so this is awesome.

If its possible to avoid April 6th that would be great as that is when there will be a North Illinois/Wisconsin meet-up.

+1. I'd like to attend both of these if possible so not April 6th please! :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [IC] Mid-South Meet-up In April
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:30:49 »
It looks like the April 6th Chicago/Wisconsin is getting moved to April 13th.  Can we avoid that date please? :D

Thank you for keeping me updated since I'm not tracking that thread. I'll do what I can to work around it, but everything is still up in the air until we get closer to my name on the list. It may even get bumped to May. Who knows.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 17:42:10 »
Come on mashby, work that crystal ball harder. Stop holding out on us!  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 22:10:59 »
So according to this post, You'll have the Ultimate Switch Tester soon Mashby. Is this meet still happening then? =Eager face=

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 19:38:18 »
Nooooooo I'm too far I wish I can go, would be cool to see mechanicalkeyboards.com  :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 19:57:52 »
Nooooooo I'm too far I wish I can go, would be cool to see mechanicalkeyboards.com  :(

psh, it's not that far. Come hangout!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 07:56:26 »
So according to this post, You'll have the Ultimate Switch Tester soon Mashby. Is this meet still happening then? =Eager face=

It's still happening, I just didn't expect my name to pop to the top of the stack so quickly. It's still pending where I'll be moved on the list, but I'm hoping it's near the bottom so that we can still have an April time frame. I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 15:21:41 »
OK, so I've been bumped to the bottom of the list, which should give us plenty of time for the board to arrive before our meet-up. So I think it's time to pick a date.

How does Saturday, April 6th work for everyone?

------------------------------------
Next Steps
------------------------------------
I need people to confirm that they can make the date by posting a reply to this thread so that we can get a head count. Also, for those that are coming, please post what you think you'll bring to the meet-up and I'll update the OP with a list of boards, keys and what not.  :p

I will be bringing the following:

::: Keyboards :::
   - Ultimate Switch Tester (Mx-Mixed)
   - Model M (White Label)
   - KBC Poker (MX-Black)
   - KBT Pure CNC Limited Edition (MX-Blues)
   - KBT Race Pink Limited Edition (MX-Blues)

::: Parts :::
I'm in the process of building up a DIY Poker with MX-Red switches, so I'll be brining it in whatever state it's in at the time, or just all the parts if I haven't started it yet.  ;D
   - Silver Duck Poker Case
   - 3 Different Poker Plates
   - 2 Poker PCBs
   - Plate mounted MX-Red switches
   - Krytox 205 Grease
   - Victorinox Oil
   - MKC Aluminium Key Puller

::: Key Caps :::
   - Cream Cheese n Green (SP DCS Profile)
   - Black on Black PBT 104 (OEM Profile)
   - Grey on White PBT (OEM Profiles)
   - WASD Sample Pack (including O-Rings)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [Please RSVP] Mid-South Meet-up April 9th
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 19:49:58 »
Yup. I'm in. I'll bring the following goodies:

Boards
Filco MJ2 with Valentine's Set and DDR arrows (Cherry MX Blues)
Leopold FC700R with Imsto keycap set (Cherry MX Blues)
Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML)

Other Stuff
My keycap collection
GH Stickers
Mr. Interface Switch Try Bag
Filco Tenkeypad with MX Browns
Soft Landing Pads/WASD Sampler Kit
Filco Ninja MJ2 Caps
Stock FC700R Leopold PBT Caps

Between the switch tester and my try bag, we'll have all the switches. ALL OF THEM. :P

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: [Please RSVP] Mid-South Meet-up April 9th
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 23:39:17 »
Did you get confirmation about hanging out at mechanicalkeyboards.com HQ?

If we're doing that I might be down for the 10 hour drive :))

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
[Please RSVP] Mid-South Meet-up April 9th
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 23:52:26 »
Did you get confirmation about hanging out at mechanicalkeyboards.com HQ?

If we're doing that I might be down for the 10 hour drive :))

I did get confirmation when the OP was created. However I've sent a follow-up just to confirm on the specific date.

They usually aren't open to the public on Saturday, but they are willing to make a special exception just for us.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [Please RSVP] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 10:58:58 »
I guess I forgot to update this, but ShakeR got back to me and April 6th is confirmed. MK.com will be open to GH/DT users for our meet-up on Saturday, April 6th.

Right now the only confirmed attendees are myself and CPTBadAss.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 10:59:37 »
Come hang out guys, how often are you gonna get access like this :D

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 12:10:45 »
I'll have to take a look at MK's inventory as we get closer to the date.  When I said I was coming earlier I didn't expect the Chicago gathering to have so many keyboards.  MK is also out of the one keyboard I would definitely be interested in (Ducky Side Print PBT w/ Greens.)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 12:23:04 »
I'll have to take a look at MK's inventory as we get closer to the date.  When I said I was coming earlier I didn't expect the Chicago gathering to have so many keyboards.  MK is also out of the one keyboard I would definitely be interested in (Ducky Side Print PBT w/ Greens.)

I can tell you that even though their inventory says they have none, they do have one on display.

Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

I don't know that they'd be wiling to sell it, but you would definitely be able to try it out.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:45:03 »
For anyone who's curious as to what MK.com might have coming in so you can preview/buy/drool over it. Check this link out. Props to missalaire for finding it.

Dante, this means you man!! :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:50:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dante

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:58:39 »
For anyone who's curious as to what MK.com might have coming in so you can preview/buy/drool over it. Check this link out. Props to missalaire for finding it.

Dante, this means you man!! :P

No MX Green but 1 MX White Shine?  (it has no qty, assuming a single unit?)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 08:58:53 »
Just a reminder (and a bump) that this meetup is now just two weeks away. If you think you might be able to make it, please post a reply saying so. This provides me with a headcount and will allow me to book the proper place for the meet.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 09:04:02 »
Damn, this meet up is on my birthday :(

How I wish I can be there LOL :p :p

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [Last Call To RSVP] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:01:29 »
The meetup here in Nashville is exactly one-week away and as of right now, other than myself, we only have one other person that has RSVP'd.  :rolleyes:

So, if you're planning on making the trip to Nashville next Saturday, I need you to RSVP ASAP, so that I can book the space. Otherwise, I'm going to vote that we cancel the meet up and try again some other time.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 17:42:27 »
Just confirmed that MechanicalKeyboards.com will be open for those of us attending the meet up this weekend.  ;D

Now the only thing left to do is pick a place for us to meet up at. I have a few locations in mind, but I really need to get a head count of those who think they might be coming. I just need to know the largest possible group that I'll need to accommodate.

So, who's coming?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 17:55:39 »
If anyone else decides to come out, I'll do some giveaways :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 12:18:51 »
I'm thrilled to report that the Ultimate Switch Tester just arrived at my office. Perfect timing for this Saturday's meet-up!

The Ultimate Switch Tester by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [THIS SATURDAY] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 11:16:04 »
OK, so the meetup is still on for tomorrow!  ;D

We'll be meeting at Dose Coffee & Tea located in mid-town. The specific address is 3431 Murphy Road, Nashville, TN 37203.

Just look for the gentleman wearing the red rose.

Totally kidding.  :p

Here is a photo of me and here's another and my mobile number is 615-414-2014.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 10:50:56 »
You guys seriously missed out. Here's my haul:

Top to bottom, Left to Right: Ducky velvet keyboard carrying bag, Ducky 1087XM with Black Alps, Pure with Cherry Whites and Purple LEDs, GH stickers, Green on Blue GH Cap, Ducky Keypuller, WASD Keypuller. I paid for the boards. The GH stickers and cap were freebies from mashby (Thank you!). And the rest were freebies from the guys at MK.com (Thanks guys!!)

And here's some closeup lit shots of my Pure. It's my first 60% board

I'll be posting a little review later :D mashby was too thorough and beat me to the punch. See his writeup below! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:27:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 10:57:14 »
* SmallFry sends Mashby a ton of nasty old guy pictures. :P

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:25:14 »
It is now Sunday therefore I demand pictures from the tour  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:48:00 »
My phone was pretty much dead so I couldn't take a lot of pictures. Gotta wait for mashby to upload the pics. MK's warehouse is all types of insanity though. And the playroom is something special. I saw the last commercially available Poker, but MK.com is keeping it for their showroom instead of selling it to me. :(

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:57:38 »
I hope to have them posted this evening once I get my "honey do" list completed.  :rolleyes:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:58:27 »
That's what you get for blowing her off for keyboards and good food!  :p

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:09:42 »
Did you bring the Dell AT101?

Edit: Nvm...I was thinking of a different meet. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 21:12:22 »
Did you bring the Dell AT101?

Edit: Nvm...I was thinking of a different meet.

I did actually. And I'll be bringing it to Chicago next weekend.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [COMPLETE] Mid-South (Nashville) Meet-up April 6th
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 14:11:08 »
MeetUp Recap
Even though there were only two of us in attendance, CPTBadAss and myself met up at Dose Coffee & Tea and went "full nerd" on mechanical keyboards. Each of us had brought our small collection and between the two of us had just about every switch and key cap imaginable. Fully taking up a booth, we spent a good hour-and-a-half swapping stories and gear over a cup of coffee.

Around 11:30am we packed up and drove over to MechanicalKeyboards.com out in Fairview, TN. Buster was there to greet us and welcome us to the showroom. We apologized for not having a bigger attendance, but it didn't seem to bother him in the least and he ushered us over to the display room. There was a wider variety of keyboards laid out than the last time I was there and they were all hooked up and ready for us to take a spin.

I did see that there was one KBC Poker with MX-Blacks left, but since MK.com always keeps one model for display, it wasn't for sale. That disappointment was quickly overshadowed by the fact that they had several KBT Pure keyboards with MX-White switches. Neither CPTBadAss, nor myself had been that impressed with the Ergo Clear switches on the Ultimate Switch Tester we had tested earlier in the day, but we were both impressed with the MX-White. Having a full set of MX-Whites was very nice and it was everything I could do NOT to buy another Pure just so I could get the switches.  :p

KBT Pure by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

Also on hand was a Cooler Master Quickfire that Buster had installed in one of the Vortex TKL cases. That was one HEAVY case, but the CM looked really good in it. According to Buster, all he did was unscrew the USB jack from the board and it fit like a glove. The USB cable is permanently affixed inside the case and held very securely.

We tested and played with just about every keyboard that was on display and then Buster and Caleb brought out even more keyboards, including a Ducky 104 that included a hybrid of Cherry MX switches. This one board had both MX-Red, MX-Black and MX-Grey switches in a really nice layout. In fact, it gave me some good ideas that I might use on my GH-60 later this year. The specific keyboard that we took for a spin was the Ducky DK9008G2 Pro Limited Edition.

In addition to MK.com showing stuff to us, we returned the favor by brining in some of our own gear to show the staff there. The CCnG set and the Ultimate Switch Tester were both a big hit and gave the guys a small taste of what the community is capable of. After testing keyboards and talking shop for a good hour, Buster took us on a tour of the rest of the facility.

Now, I've been to MechanicalKeyboards.com twice before and I've never seen anything more than just the display room. Buster showed us his repair center, which included a demo of his Hakko 808 Desoldering gun as well as the storeroom, where they had locker after locker of keyboards. It was overwhelming to see just how many keyboards MK.com keeps on hand.

Towards the end of the visit, CPTBadAss starting making his final decision on which keyboards he was ultimately going to buy and that's when Caleb and Buster started handing out some swag. We each received some Thermaltake calendars and catalogs, but the real prize was a free Ducky velvet keyboard bag. As if that wasn't enough, CPTBadAss even got a discount on the boards he was buying!

The guys at MK.com could literally not have been more gracious and welcoming to a couple of keyboard nerds. They really made us feel at home and were happy to share in our enthusiasm. I can't thank Caleb and Buster enough for giving up part of their Saturday and open up the doors like they did.

After The Meet
After the short drive back to Nashville, CPTBadAss and myself were still riding the high of our visit and decided to enjoy a late lunch at Nashville landmark, The Pancake Pantry. World-renown for their breakfast where people stand in line for hours just to get into the door, a little-known secret is that their hamburgers are some of the best in town. Getting inside just before they closed for the day at 3pm, CPTBadAss and I both enjoyed the "Baldwin's Dipper".

Quote from: PancakePantry
A ground chuck beef patty surrounded by melted Swiss and American cheeses on grilled rye bread. Served with our famous sour cream and horseradish dip (menu)

It's a damn good burger and the perfect way to cap off a great day. I had a blast!

More Photos
I've included a number of photos in this post, but you can view the full gallery of 29 photos at this link on Flickr.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:23:42 »
You beat me to the review mashby! And you hit all the points I wanted to talk about so I'll just say that Dose's cold brew coffee was awesome, your Turbo is hella manly, and that warehouse is still mind-boggling. Plus, I ate really well that day so that definitely left a good impression :P

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:26:37 »
Nice pictures and well documented, wish I could've joined :)

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 17:51:18 »
Awesome writeup Mashby!  We were very glad to have you guys over.

(I'm thoroughly impressed that your frequented my two favorite eateries in Nasvhille on the same day.  The lattes at Dose make Starbucks look like Folgers and the pancakes at Pancake Pantry are second to none. Excellent choices.)
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 18:55:58 »
Awesome writeup Mashby!  We were very glad to have you guys over.

(I'm thoroughly impressed that your frequented my two favorite eateries in Nasvhille on the same day.  The lattes at Dose make Starbucks look like Folgers and the pancakes at Pancake Pantry are second to none. Excellent choices.)

What can I say? When you're born in South Louisiana, food is in your blood. I think it comes from bleeding purple and gold, but don't quote me on that.  :p

Offline dante

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:03:31 »
I'm sorry I backed out at the last minute.   I'm on a supervised 900 calorie a day diet and have been doing really well.  I couldn't take a chance. :(

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 19:09:04 »
sweet!!!

huge thanks to mechanicalkeyboards.com for hosting the nerdup!! next time, all y'all in the area, now you know what you're missing out on :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 20:21:36 »
I'm sorry I backed out at the last minute.   I'm on a supervised 900 calorie a day diet and have been doing really well.  I couldn't take a chance. :(

You made the right call. Latte and pancakes would have blown that diet to smithereens!

I'm sure we'll do another one down the road.