Author Topic: EK's "Soft-Landing" Pads for Cherry MX  (Read 65737 times)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
EK's "Soft-Landing" Pads for Cherry MX
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 21:59:42 »
Quote from: mtl;337285
A cloud of......boobs?

Quote from: input nirvana;337287
Mmmmm.....booooobs :)

lol I was waiting for ripster to come in with that cloud of boobs comment. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Tallon

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 22:01:40 »
Quote from: input nirvana;337259
Wow, Tallon, you have really answered and offered some helpful info, thank you so much. The browns I use are PCB mounted but I can see what might be the same and what might be different.

I'm sure this information is helpful to others as well.

No problem! I've learned a ton from this forum, I'm happy to give back when I can. What's really nice - these pads aren't much money, so if you don't like them you won't be set back much ;). Hopefully you like them as much as I do!

-Tallon

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 April 2011, 23:46:20 »
Quote from: Tallon;337302
No problem! I've learned a ton from this forum, I'm happy to give back when I can. What's really nice - these pads aren't much money, so if you don't like them you won't be set back much ;). Hopefully you like them as much as I do!

-Tallon

you can sell almost anything on the classified sections too if you're unhappy with the purchase
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 00:59:50 »
Quote from: nocturn4l3030;337341
you can sell almost anything on the classified sections too if you're unhappy with the purchase

NEED TO GET RID OF ASAP:
Very high quality and well built girlfriend. Kinda beat up, with a few small problems here and there, but still has a few good years left in her. Looks like new. Well maintained, records available upon request. Will throw in extras to make a deal. Upgraded to newer model.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 01:49:08 »
Quote from: input nirvana;337358
NEED TO GET RID OF ASAP:
Very high quality and well built girlfriend. Kinda beat up, with a few small problems here and there, but still has a few good years left in her. Looks like new. Well maintained, records available upon request. Will throw in extras to make a deal. Upgraded to newer model.

trade you for a Model M?  LOL
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline panda-R

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 17:22:50 »
Hey it's me the assclown, i like to assclown around because it makes people upset.

I am however very happy to see that the impressions of these pads are so positive.
DO YOU FEEL THE BEAT? I DO.
One Keyboard to DOOM them all, REALFORCE.

Offline mtl

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 21:40:44 »
Can we please find something to complain about with these soft landing pads? This is Geekhack, isn't it?
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 22:28:20 »
Quote from: mtl;337828
Can we please find something to complain about with these soft landing pads? This is Geekhack, isn't it?

they cost too much

Offline sordna

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 26 April 2011, 22:36:28 »
Well, a complaint was said that ideally they should stick inside the keycap stem, not the switch.
I wonder how they compare to the red soft silicone o-rings I found, which are very good to begin with (softer and less noisy than rubber o-rings):
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8857&viewfull=1&page=4&do=comments#post337573

Only one way to find out, argh.

By the way, with the silicone o-rings, the loudest part of my cherry browns' action now is the upstroke. I bet if the soft landing pads could stick in the keycap, they would muffle the upstroke noise a bit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2011, 22:46:19 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 00:49:17 »
Are you able to post a sound comparison?

I have no idea, but would the silicone o-rings AND the soft-landing pads be used at the same time???
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2011, 00:54:00 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline sordna

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 01:13:59 »
I would need to buy (that's the only way to find out) the soft landing pads to do a comparison. Also, while you could use pads and o-rings at the same time, I'm sure they would reduce key travel noticeably. In a couple keys that did need a thicker cushion (the Kinesis arrow keys) I used a very thin (1/16") rubber washer and an o-ring. A pad and an o-ring would be too thick I think. However if you don't mind reduced key travel, I bet you could use an o-ring to hold the soft landing pad on the keycap stem, like I'm doing with the washer (see pic in the post I pointed to).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 01:31:54 »
Got it.

I'm curious the sound difference between the o-rings and soft pads. It seems that perhaps neither muffles the upstroke, but both do a fair job with the rest.

Offline sordna

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 01:50:23 »
Something stuck on the keycap underside will reduce the resonance by a really tiny bit. If you're that paranoid about noise, you could try pouring some silicone adhesive or caulk inside your keycaps, that might help more. Maybe you can use silicone to glue the gray landing pads to your keycaps, that might be the best realistic solution.
But to eliminate upstroke noise (if it's even possible), you would most certainly need to open up and modify the switch itself.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 06:05:00 »

Already done, the hole is oversized
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline gregh

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 06:20:27 »
Well, they should be colored red for maximum gaming performance.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 06:27:41 »
Quote from: The Solutor;337932
Already done, the hole is oversized

That's what he said.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 09:05:19 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;337938
That's what he said.

Ba-da-BING!!

Offline MartZink

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 09:25:07 »

They are not pre-cut.

They are not made of gold foam, just foam foam.
UltraX.treme, with some laser-burn, and melt marks :)

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 12:04:15 »
Quote from: MartZink;338007
They are not pre-cut.

They are not made of gold foam, just foam foam.

Well, it says detachable so they're suposed to be "pre-cut"

At least is what I understand.

Offline Tallon

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 12:36:46 »
They are pre cut

Offline MrSneis

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 14:45:02 »
I would say that the change in sound and feel reminds me of the "mushiness" of the stabilized keys on a Leopold.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline CephalicCarnage

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 16:20:18 »
Quote from: MrSneis;338181
I would say that the change in sound and feel reminds me of the "mushiness" of the stabilized keys on a Leopold.

Could these be the key to reviving the Leopold's popularity?  I recall so many complaining about the stabilizers.

Just add these, then Leos will have that same feel uniformly across the board eh?
Filco Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Blue), Leopold Tenkeyless "Otaku" (Brown), Leopold Tenkeyless (Blue), Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numeric Pad (Brown)
In the mail: HHKB Pro2 White/Gray

WTB: G80-8113HRBUS-2 with Clear switches

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 18:03:41 »
I own 3 Filcos and a Leopold and I really like the feel of the Leopold.  The stabilizers don't bother me.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline MrSneis

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 18:22:30 »
Quote from: canon.tk;338305
I own 3 Filcos and a Leopold and I really like the feel of the Leopold.  The stabilizers don't bother me.

Agreed, I 'm just saying that some have complained about the "mushy" feel of the stabilizers and I feel like adding these pads has a similar effect on the regular keys of my Filco.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline sordna

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 18:36:30 »
dampers/o-rings only take effect at the last 1 milimiter or so of key travel (definitely way after the key registers). The silicone o-rings I tried actually provide a pleasant shock absorbing effect, and the pads will probably have the same benefit. I haven't tried a Leopold keyboard, but I suspect the mentioned stabilizers would affect a much larger portion of the key travel.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:18:16 »
Any linky for the silly-kone O-ring supplier available?

Offline sordna

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:29:48 »
A gotta miny froma oringsusa.com but had to phone them to ask because the silicone 40A durometer ones were not listed in their online store.
Part number is: -008 S40
10c apiece, 250 pieces minimum order. However there are a lot of o-ring suppliers with crappy or no online stores, google and call a few, for example these guys: http://www.alliedmetrics.com/seals/o-rings/ (apart from selling v-rings as well) say they have silicone o-rings starting at 25A duro on their website, however you would need to call them to find if that's an option for the 008 size. Pls report back!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 July 2011, 23:35:08 by sordna »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 20:32:46 »
the clears are easy to find in places like this.

http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=1457&MID=197&MID2=1&A1=10

But for a steal price.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline sordna

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 27 April 2011, 21:34:23 »
These v-rings look very interesting, I wonder how much they cost.
http://catalog.precisionassoc.com/viewitems/precision-associates-inc-v-ring/v-rings

Offline elef

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 10:56:57 »
Quote from: sordna;338398
A gotta miny froma oringsusa.com

You clearly need a better keyboard!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 11:12:16 »
Quote from: elef;338664
you clearly need a better keyboard!

lol!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline sordna

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 11:26:21 »
I was just replying to "linky for silly-kone", my keyboard works fine thank you :-)
Back to the topic, I found this supplier http://www.mcmaster.com/ that has a huge selection of o-rings and stuff, and a very nice online store that allows you to select and choose dimensions, materials etc. Lowest durometer they have for o-rings is 50 however.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 11:47:27 »
I've ordered from McMaster before.  They have absolutely anything you can think of, if you can find it in their 800 page catalog or labyrinthine website.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline elef

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 14:32:00 »
Quote from: sordna;338685
I was just replying to "linky for silly-kone", my keyboard works fine thank you :-)

I was just referring to the baffling number of typos in that short sentence. I eventually managed to decipher the content, I know what question you were answering - I was just teasing.

Offline sordna

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 15:01:12 »
tipoz? waht tipoz?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 18:54:13 »
...and this is why pictures of cats and misspelled words are so damn funny...

Offline aynjell

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 28 April 2011, 19:50:14 »
I just ordered one set of firm and one set of soft. I'll be trying them both on blues and browns and I'll let you guys know what sounds and feels the best. For the blues my goal is to quiet them, for the browns I'm hoping for a posher feel so likely I'll be happiest with soft on browns and firm on blues.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 05:32:42 »
I ordered and received a set of both the firm pads and the soft pads. I put the firm pads on my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, and the soft ones on my Filco Cherry Brown. On the Blackwidow the clack of bottoming out was eliminated and the keytravel felt much shorter, however it made it easier for me to release the key right at the point of actuation. The only noise now is from the actual clicking, which is rather quite nice. On my Filco with Cherry Browns again the travel distance was reduced, although not by as much as with the firm pads I feel. It felt initially as if the feeling of the tactile point was softened, but as I got used to the feeling of the modification I was able to feel the tactile point better. It still does not feel as pronounced as before but it seems much more comfy.

All in all I am happy with both sets. They do work and on top of that I finally was able to get over my fear of messing with stabilizers on large keys. I think I may even move up to more serious mods as the extra work involved is worth it.

(Also I wanted to note that installing the firm pads on my backlit Blackwidow Ultimate did not obscure the backlighting much.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2011, 05:35:18 by mrsone »
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline gregh

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 13:02:50 »
I tried the softpads on my cherry red board (majestouch 2), and didn't like it. I gave it 36 hours and just couldn't get used to the "mushier" feeling. It was less noisy but the change in feel was just too dramatic for me. My reds lost all of their crispness. I do bottom out when I type, so that might make a difference for you.

Offline mrsone

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 13:17:40 »
They definitely do change the way that the keys feel. I am getting used to them still but so far I like how they dampened the clack of the Cherry blues. On the browns, though I may remove the pads as I do find that the shorter travel distance is a little much for me with a lighter switch.
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 13:47:34 »
As I said earlier silencing a cherry board is like silencing an Harley Davidson: the noise is reduced, the neighbors are happier, but the keyboard has lost is soul.

You may like it or hate it. It's just matter of personal preferences (as usual).

Bdw the  o-ring mod is less drastic and less mushier, and you can also choose from a vast variety of o-rings with various hardness to meet better your taste.

Offline aynjell

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 14:36:55 »
Quote from: The Solutor;339232
As I said earlier silencing a cherry board is like silencing an Harley Davidson: the noise is reduced, the neighbors are happier, but the keyboard has lost is soul.

You may like it or hate it. It's just matter of personal preferences (as usual).

Bdw the  o-ring mod is less drastic and less mushier, and you can also choose from a vast variety of o-rings with various hardness to meet better your taste.

The way you talk about keyboards, you should be wearing horn rim glasses and drinking PBR man. I myself am the exact opposite of your situation, I need to silence my blues to make my neighbors happy, and I want more of a soft feeling on my browns. I don't like the clack at the bottom as much as others, though I suppose it's a distinct possibility the oring mod may be the best option for me.

I will have to try it.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline sordna

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 14:56:18 »
Well, Solutor said you may like it or you may hate it. If you're thinking about o-rings, go ahead and try them, I am happy with that solution, and it's cheap. However don't go with regular o-rings (they are too hard). I recently found that mcmaster.com has AS568A size 008 o-rings, in 50A durometer, which is much softer than the usual 70A durometer, and they only cost about $9 for a pack of 125.

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 16:39:39 »
Quote from: aynjell;339251
The way you talk about keyboards, you should be wearing horn rim glasses and drinking PBR man. I myself am the exact opposite of your situation, I need to silence my blues to make my neighbors happy, and I want more of a soft feeling on my browns. I don't like the clack at the bottom as much as others, though I suppose it's a distinct possibility the oring mod may be the best option for me.

I will have to try it.

My message was meant as neutral as possible.

I tried the o-ring mod well before any news about the EK soft landing keypads.

So I'm not criticizing nor backing the silencing thing, I'm just giving an opinion about what happen if you mod the keyboard.

The only opinion I gave is about foam v.s. o-ring, for me the o-ring solution is way better.

Well, Solutor said you may like it or you may hate it. If you're thinking about o-rings, go ahead and try them, I am happy with that solution, and it's cheap. However don't go with regular o-rings (they are too hard). I recently found that mcmaster.com has AS568A size 008 o-rings, in 50A durometer, which is much softer than the usual 70A durometer, and they only cost about $9 for a pack of 125.

You know, I tried o-rings, i like it and i will buy the silicone ones (altough the place you linked has also some 50A nitrile rubber ones).

BTW I'm asking to myself if a meck keyboard with the beige switches and the o-ring dampeners is  just a rubber dome lookalike, likely a durable rubber dome lookalike, but still a keyboard that cost at least 10x the almost equivalent rubber dome one...

Offline mrsone

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 00:11:54 »
That o ring mod sounds neat. I'll have to give that one a try in the future. That may be what I am looking for. I don't mind the clacking on my Filco but on the Blackwidow it is pretty loud. I am still trying the foam pads but I will order a set of the o rings and give that a try to just for comparison.

Keypads:

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 04:32:33 »
For those of you that have tried both the o-rings and the pads tell me a little more how the feel and sound differs.  I have the firm pads now and really like them.  I have them on my Cherry Reds which are pretty quiet to begin with but the pads really stop any chance of bottoming out noise.  It's funny how most on this forum really like the loud clicking of the mx switches.  I don't so much mind the clicking but for me much prefer a deeper or lower sound if I'm going to have any sound at all.  My first preference would be for a very light touch keyboard with tactile or linear feel that was totally silent.  So for me the Cherry Reds with the linear quiet and now with the pads is the closest I'm going to get.  My other favorite is the topre switches which are not quiet but do have a much deeper thunking instead of clicking sound.  

For those that have tried a few different o-rings - what size and material has worked best to accomplish the most silencing and still leave a good feel to the stroke?

Thanks,
nhwhazup
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline KikassAssassin

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 00:12:45 »
I received and installed the firm (gray) pads on my Filco with cherry browns.

It definitely changes the feel of the keys, and it's going to take a little getting used to. I'm not sure if the length of the keystroke has been reduced (looking at two keys side by side, one with a pad and the other without, I don't see any difference in their height when I press them both down), but there's definitely more resistance near the end of the key stroke that makes it feel like the keys aren't going down as far while I'm typing. It does almost give it a sort of a rubber dome feel, so if you can't stand the feel of rubber domes, these pads may not be for you. I need to spend some more time with them before I make up my mind on whether I like the feel of them or not.

As far as its stated purpose goes, it definitely does the job it sets out to do. My keyboard is MUCH quieter now than it was before. The keys make very little sound now on the downstroke (and what sound there is is more of a dull "thump" than a sharp "clack"), so the upstroke is now by far the largest source of sound coming from the keyboard. If only Filco had used thicker key caps to help reduce the upstroke noise, this would be a truly silent keyboard. As it is, it's still quieter than even some rubber domes I've used.

I might look into those o-rings and see how they compare to the pads. I'd also like to hear some suggestions for which ones to try from people who have used them.

Offline mrsone

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 03:42:29 »
I just got some o-rings and tried them on both my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and my Filco Cherry MX Brown. On the Blackwidow Ultimate it worked well, but I ended taking the o-rings off because of the sound of the rings hitting the little LEDs above the switch. Surprisingly enough it did not block the backlight on the Blackwidow, but it added an annoying "ching" to each keypress that I didn't like. On the Filco the o-ring mod is perfect. It dampened the clack without changing anything else about the keyboard. My Filco is pretty quiet now except for the pinging of the metal backplate. I am very satisfied with the mod, however. I used the same ones that sordna suggested, the 50A durometer AS568A size 008 o-rings in Buna-N and they fit spectacularly. So thanks guys, for the suggestions. Anyone have any ideas on how to stop the clacking with a similar mod for backlit keyboards like the Blackwidow Ultimate?

Keypads:

Offline elef

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 05:53:36 »
Quote from: mrsone;347900
I used the same ones that sordna suggested, the 50A durometer AS568A size 008 o-rings in Buna-N and they fit spectacularly.

Anyone have a link to these from a company that ships to Europe? I know it'd be sort of daft to buy this sort of stuff from overseas instead of picking it up from a local brick and mortar store, but I don't feel like spending hours and hours looking for the right stuff.

Offline sordna

metric o-rings might be better
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 18 May 2011, 11:26:01 »
Actually, the 008 o-rings are ~ 1.6mm in thickness, and this reduces key travel somewhat. Also the inner diameter is tighter than it needs to be. You can get metric o-rings in Europe that are 1.5mm thick (and with 5mm inner diameter) which in my opinion would be better than the american ones! I suggest you go to a hardware store and buy a few o-rings with the following specs to try, they should be a few euro cents each!

Inner diameter: 5mm
Thickness: 1.5mm (This means the outer diameter would be 8mm)
Material: doesn't matter.
Durometer (hardness): get the lowest you can find, 70 is the standard, but 50 or lower would be better (softer).

Report back. We might be asking you to ship us some :-)