Author Topic: What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Lazylewis

What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?
« on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 20:46:42 »
I'm curious about how many more keycap sets people own compared to how many keyboards they own.

I have 4 aftermarket keycap sets and three boards. This is not including my HHKB because I can't use aftermarket keycaps on it. And it's not including the stock keycaps that came with the boards.

There's so many sets I want to buy but it seems a waste to own sets and have them in a bag in the closet. If I like a dozen sets should I buy a dozen boards ? What do you do?

Do you buy keycaps for certain boards or just use one board and rotate keycaps? 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: What's your keycap to keyboard ratio ?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 06:37:00 »

This is not including my HHKB because I can't use aftermarket keycaps on it.

Sure you can, just swap in MX compatible stems. :thumb:

For me I've started buying keyboards with stock caps I don't mind using (Leopold) and stopped buying custom cap sets.

But I've always bought custom sets in the past with an idea of what board I wanted to out them on but not all those projects worked out.

Offline poq

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:39:18 »
I only own one set of keycaps that aren't on a board currently, and they'll be going on my next one when the kit arrives. So technically I have 3 sets of keycaps for 3 boards: DSA blanks for Diverge TM 2, stock on HHKB JP, and Troubled Minds for my upcoming Revo (they used to be on my Unit-01-themed Planck with a purple anodized case).

This is mostly because I just don't find too many sets appealing to me, if it weren't for the EVA theme with Troubled Minds I doubt i would've bought those either.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 07:47:44 »
1 JTK set and 4 GMK sets (and a fifth on the way). I have 1 MX keyboard (but 2 on the way).

Planning to buy another 4 to take it to 10 GMK sets though - got to rotate some when I get my keycap puller ;D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:17:38 »
Rough estimate; about 6000 keycaps to 150 boards.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:47:33 »
1 board with the 1 original set, and 1 spare set in the mail from AX. that's a total of 2 sets to be used on 1 board.

beginner here  ;D

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 15:22:24 »
Not including stock I've got 15+ keysets and 6 boards(1 unbuilt)+1 more on the way. I just switch them out whenever I feel like it, and keep them in trays in a box when I'm not using them.

I don't think of it as wasteful.
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 16:08:20 »

This is mostly because I just don't find too many sets appealing to me, if it weren't for the EVA theme with Troubled Minds I doubt i would've bought those either.

I envy you, I want to join every second group buy/drop for SA and GMK. I also envy people who like one profile/switch/keyboard size.

I like so many sizes and switches and profiles that I end up wanting everything.

Hello, this is you from the past, just saying hi.

Offline digisax

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:42:00 »
Until GMK Honeywell gets in I have more keyboards than keysets. I have the stock caps from my Pok3r and Leopold and no caps for my B.mini I'm just about to finish.

Once Honeywell comes in it'll be 1:1.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 17:58:04 »
Eh, honestly, I have one set that I can't use because I don't have a setup for it, and a Topre keyboard incoming... So currently I use my laptop. I'd love to own a few more keyboards and keycap sets...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 19:04:55 »
12:7
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 00:35:37 »
12:9
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:00:41 »

I envy you, I want to join every second group buy/drop for SA and GMK. I also envy people who like one profile/switch/keyboard size.

I like so many sizes and switches and profiles that I end up wanting everything.

Hello, this is you from the past, just saying hi.
Haha not really, not a single one of them is a custom keycap set :p . All of mine are spares!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:30:26 »
9:6

(5 Stock Keycap Sets, 4 Aftermarket Keycap Sets, 6 Mechanical Keyboards)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:13:34 »
I have a couple of custom sets, but group buys are too convoluted and confusing to me so I mostly ignore them. And besides, I am an IBM man.

On the other hand, I have at least 3-4 sets of each type of low-grade caps harvested from boards that went into the garbage.
I even have about half a set of Space Invaders spares, but they are mostly weird and not the desirable ones such as the modifiers.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline scudley

• nobody howls at the sun because it sucks
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:36:35 »
Just a few months ago it was, well, infinite. I had no (mech) keyboards and a gallon ziploc full of DSA granite
HHKB Type-S | GH60 Satan - 67g Cherristotles | GHpad - 78g Zealios