Author Topic: Heading to China - what should I grab while i'm there?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline octovert

Heading to China - what should I grab while i'm there?
« on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:00:22 »
American, currently living in the netherlands.  I have a noppoo choc mini (mx browns), a leopold, deck legend (mx black), a g810, and a magicforce (mx browns).  Browns are generally my switch of choice.

Anything I should keep an eye out for while in China? Headed to shenzen, guangzhou, and beijing.

Offline lolafineday

Re: Heading to China - what should I grab while i'm there?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 14:12:31 »
When you get to China, check out the street food, it is amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 19:17:42 »
When you get to China, check out the street food, it is amazing!!!

No, DO NOT eat meat in China.

China is a dangerous place at the moment.

Factory farming is bad in general in every nation, in the USA we got listeria/ecoli/mad cow, in China it's worse, (all that) + industrial seepage. The bulk of China does not have the large sewage systems of the west, so their waste water is much closer to the surface. Add the fact that their regulation is lax and corrupt by very typical bribery..mmm... YUM.

China's current industrial output SANS adherence/enforcement of waste regulations means alot of water + food is contaminated.

For example, all of their Upper echelon leadership have meals supplied from private farms/gardens, because THEY KNOW, things are pretty borked.

As for the general Butchery practices,  Well, mm... just youtube it.  NOT exactly the most hygienic..

I grew up on the streets of China, and I go back often, so I have very vivid memory of how it goes down.

They've got what's known as a Wet-market, where most people buy their meats. If you walk through, there's a distinct rotting corpse smell. At many stalls, meats lay un-refrigerated and in full air/sun all day, and butchery surfaces are 30 yrs old, often wood, and unclean-able.

These places are where street vendors buy stock as well, so.. just don't ..   Formal Restaurants are no better, because the whole supply chain is like this.

If you could avoid eating meat in China, do so.

Vegetables are much safer.  But definitely cook thoroughly, in fact, cook it until it' tastes bad, Extra safe..

Poultry is the biggest issue right now,  Over the past few years due to the rise of Battery Farming (In and Near populated areas). Asia has spawned the most variety and deadly strains of Flu (both swine and avian).

Things don't just kill you,  they have a Probability of killing you.  Every time a person eats meat, it's high-stakes. In certain environments, higher-yet.

This is not a Dig' @ China,  Tp4 mains Lenovo Exclusively.

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 21:42:27 »
Alps or anything similar.

Offline jamster

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 22:58:32 »
American, currently living in the netherlands.  I have a noppoo choc mini (mx browns), a leopold, deck legend (mx black), a g810, and a magicforce (mx browns).  Browns are generally my switch of choice.

Anything I should keep an eye out for while in China? Headed to shenzen, guangzhou, and beijing.

I'd be surprised if you can find any boards beyond crappy MX clone gamer boards in China. The local market is skewed towards 'cheap mass market' and not quality. You could try the huge SEG electronics market in Shenzhen, but I've been there and found nothing of interest. Though you should go to SEG anyway just to check it out.

Look for other things in China. Lots of cool stuff, but quality and niche electronics is not one of them. Try the fried scorpion on a stick in the Beijing markets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2019, 23:00:19 by jamster »

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 23:26:31 »
Don't they have huge e-waste processing centers there? I'm sure they are stuffed full of old Alps boards.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 01:23:30 »
Don't they have huge e-waste processing centers there? I'm sure they are stuffed full of old Alps boards.

You seriously think that 0) the OP could locate these facilities, 1) is going to be granted access to an area like that and 2) even if he was, would survive the experience of climbing around on mountains of trashed tech components without needing a visit to a hospital?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 01:38:01 »
Grab it by the ****!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 02:43:19 »
People have found crazy vintage keyboards in China i would try to find places that sell off old stuff.  :thumb:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 02:54:00 »
Buy Xiaomi dirt cheap and resell them in Yurope  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 07:46:35 »

You seriously think that 0) the OP could locate these facilities, 1) is going to be granted access to an area like that and 2) even if he was, would survive the experience of climbing around on mountains of trashed tech components without needing a visit to a hospital?

They wear these thick overalls and gloves..

Offline Larry Dallas

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 22:30:00 »
I haven't bought a keyboard there in a long time, but I bought an original KBC Poker there in early 2011 and a KBtalking Pro bluetooth keyboard a couple years later. Every big city has a multi-story electronics market, I've mostly just been to the one in Beijing because that's where my inlaws live but I heard the one in Shanghai is the biggest one. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find things like keyboards, switches and PCBs at one of those markets. Just remember that prices are negotiable and even if your Chinese is good you'll get a better price if you go with a local.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 00:03:04 »
there's an asia specific realforce (55g silenced) that i would say is 100% worth picking up
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 00:32:47 »
Grab it by the ****!

This I can relate to...

You wanna buy a kangaroo?