Author Topic: Would Novatouch "ruin" my first impression of Topre switch?  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
Would Novatouch "ruin" my first impression of Topre switch?
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 04:35:00 »
I'm thinking about trying my first Topre keyboard by getting the Novatouch, but I'm slightly worried that it might "ruin" my first impression of Topre switch, since a lot of people say CM's implementation of Topre doesn't feel nearly as good as RealForce or HHKB or Leopold.

Are those people just doing the typical hair-spliting that members of obsessive niche hobbies do, and objectively, Novatouch's Topre switches/keys feel very similar to the other Topre keyboards that whatever my impression of it will be, wouldn't be changed in any significant way by the other Topre keyboards? Which means, if I don"t like Novatouch's feel during typing, I pretty much won't like the other Topre keyboards either?

It's not as if there are as much significant differences between Topre switches like there are with different colors of Cherry MX or ALPS, so it's much more likely to feel differently about keyboards using a diferent color switch of Cherry and ALPS, than keyboards using 55g, 45g, or ergonomically weighted Topre switches?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 05:35:20 by Lunatique »

Offline skuko

Re: Would Novatouch "ruin" my first impression of Topre switch?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 04:39:13 »
i don't think it will ruin your topre impression. i think it will ruin your wallet, because you will have to experience the difference of leopold and realforce first-hand after trying novatouch, just as i did :)

Offline Veridis

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 05:23:11 »
I have the realforce 45g and Novatouch, and the difference really is in the keycaps. If you are not going to replace the stock Novatouch keycaps, the realforce is a clear winner. However, you may not like the topre keycap profile, so it really is subjective. I don't think different implementations of the same switch can really "ruin" your experience.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:11:49 »
I'm thinking about trying my first Topre keyboard by getting the Novatouch, but I'm slightly worried that it might "ruin" my first impression of Topre switch, since a lot of people say CM's implementation of Topre doesn't feel nearly as good as RealForce or HHKB or Leopold.

Are those people just doing the typical hair-spliting that members of obsessive niche hobbies do, and objectively, Novatouch's Topre switches/keys feel very similar to the other Topre keyboards that whatever my impression of it will be, wouldn't be changed in any significant way by the other Topre keyboards? Which means, if I don"t like Novatouch's feel during typing, I pretty much won't like the other Topre keyboards either?

It's not as if there are as much significant differences between Topre switches like there are with different colors of Cherry MX or ALPS, so it's much more likely to feel differently about keyboards using a diferent color switch of Cherry and ALPS, than keyboards using 55g, 45g, or ergonomically weighted Topre switches?

The Novatouch feels exactly like other Topre boards feel. It's maybe even better in feel.

It is not the best sounding Topre board, however, because of a few design decisions and choice of material by CoolerMaster.

The sound of the Novatouch can be improved, and I have started to explain how in another thread:
  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65853.msg1540901#msg1540901

Once modded, the Novatouch is actually one of the best feeling and best sounding Topre board.

I'm not sure why people keep on obsessing about the quality of the keycaps, they don't do much for the feel or sound of the keyboard either way, and you can easily replace them later anyway, as they are Cherry MX compatible.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:18:14 »

The Novatouch feels exactly like other Topre boards feel. It's maybe even better in feel.

It is not the best sounding Topre board, however, because of a few design decisions and choice of material by CoolerMaster.

The sound of the Novatouch can be improved, and I have started to explain how in another thread:
  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65853.msg1540901#msg1540901

Once modded, the Novatouch is actually one of the best feeling and best sounding Topre board.

I'm not sure why people keep on obsessing about the quality of the keycaps, they don't do much for the feel or sound of the keyboard either way, and you can easily replace them later anyway, as they are Cherry MX compatible.

This is the correct answer. Though, I don't mind the sound much.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 13:22:07 »
Thanks for the replies. I'm adding Novatouch as my first Topre keyboard to buy/try/own.

I'm kind of tempted by the uniqueness of the ergonomically weighted RealForce, but I don't know if it really is a significant improvement over uniformly weighted Topre keyboards. I really would rather not have to buy yet another keyboard just to find out. If only there are keyboard meets right now near my location where I can try all the different keyboards...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 13:23:56 »
If only there are keyboard meets right now near my location where I can try all the different keyboards...

elitekeyboards has a show room in LA. That seems close to your location.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 14:26:00 »
If only there are keyboard meets right now near my location where I can try all the different keyboards...

It's a short flight away. Driving would take six hours, which is a bit hard to swallow, unless I make a fun road-trip out of it. :D

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 22:22:01 »
worth it for novatouch :p

I think a novatouch with better keycaps is better than topre. I tried cherry POM and SP SA profile. both were excellent, and the SA keycaps were amazing. Novatouch in on my WTB list.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:26:01 »
skip all that mess and get yourself a 55g RF. best topre switch, hands down.

orange county*
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:33:53 »
skip all that mess and get yourself a 55g RF. best topre switch, hands down.

I love my new 55g RF. It just feels and sounds so good. Took me about a week to get used to the heavier weight but now nothing else I've experienced beats it.

I'll be comparing it to a 660C once I get it, but I like the 55g so much more than my 45g RF that I'll be selling the 45g soon.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 18:56:23 »
There is no bad topre on less good ones. remember feel is subjective so some may like the novatouch better than say a realforce.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)