Author Topic: Kailh Choc vs. Topre switches for typing?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline RobbieFresh

Kailh Choc vs. Topre switches for typing?
« on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 21:44:15 »
I don't know about anyone else, but man am I in love with the low-profile Kailh Choc switches, especially the clicky Whites. My primary keyboard activity is typing, and over the years I've progressed from using crappy PC stock keyboards to investing in nice MK's with Cherry switches, PBT, and the likes. But I've found myself slowly purchasing keyboards with lower profile key caps, always subconsciously wishing my fingers didn't have to travel so far each keystroke. In Kailh Choc switches equipped with ultra-low profile keycaps, I think I've finally found my MK end-game.

The one last MK itch I have to scratch are trying out Topre switches. Now I have those Topre key chain switch testers, but honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed with the switches, especially after all the hype I've heard about Torpre.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience typing on both switches and can give me some reasons why I'd want to invest in a Topre keyboard, even after having discovered I was meant for low-profile switches?

Offline Kevadu

Re: Kailh Choc vs. Topre switches for typing?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 22:18:37 »
Eh, if you like what you have and don't like what you've tried of Topre then why even worry about it?  I know some people really like Topre but they're totally different typing experiences.  I do think Topre gets overhyped and it's not for everyone.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 06:15:51 »
Topre gives you that 1337 status...

It's ifone vs 1+...

Yea, the 1+ works just as well,  but if you want girls to think you're _Not Poor_, you gotta get dat ifone..

Now, for Keyboards, there are no girls,  but u know, Geek-Creds... Almost as good, but thoroughly goes no where...   

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 07:24:06 »
but u know, Geek-Creds... Almost as good, but thoroughly goes no where...   

I beg to differ. :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 16:56:26 »
but u know, Geek-Creds... Almost as good, but thoroughly goes no where...   

I beg to differ. :cool:

Of course,, ever since Tp4 joins da Gekhak,  Female Attract +99..

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 04:09:00 »
i prefer mx to topre but it's preference
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 04:15:17 »
I own a novatouch which is equivalent to topre 45 grams and I find it horrible. I had to waste a lot of time to install silencing orings, and the result was meh. It makes my fingers ache. The only nice thing is that it's smooth, and less wobbly.

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 02:08:43 »
I own a novatouch which is equivalent to topre 45 grams and I find it horrible. I had to waste a lot of time to install silencing orings, and the result was meh. It makes my fingers ache. The only nice thing is that it's smooth, and less wobbly.

I do not think that the Novatouch is representative of a Topre experience.

I own Topre 55 and fake Topre-55 with silencing that brings it closer to a 45g experience. Both are miles better than the Novatouch that I tried... the Novatouch was one of the most unpleasant 'fancy' keyboards I've come across in years. Admittedly, the SA profile caps on the board at the time didn't help.

The one last MK itch I have to scratch are trying out Topre switches. Now I have those Topre key chain switch testers, but honestly I'm pretty underwhelmed with the switches, especially after all the hype I've heard about Torpre.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience typing on both switches and can give me some reasons why I'd want to invest in a Topre keyboard, even after having discovered I was meant for low-profile switches?

If you have found low profile keys and switches that are your preference, I cannot think of any reason for blowing a couple hundred dollars on a Topre board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 August 2018, 02:14:13 by jamster »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 02:20:11 »

I own Topre 55 and fake Topre-55 with silencing that brings it closer to a 45g experience. Both are miles better than the Novatouch that I tried... the Novatouch was one of the most unpleasant 'fancy' keyboards I've come across in years. Admittedly, the SA profile caps on the board at the time didn't help.

If you have found low profile keys and switches that are your preference, I cannot think of any reason for blowing a couple hundred dollars on a Topre board.

If you take it apart, the PCB is made by Topre.

and then read this

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66452.0

Offline jamster

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 20:47:09 »

If you take it apart, the PCB is made by Topre.

and then read this

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66452.0

Weird. Perhaps ABS SA really doesn't agree with me then. I should probably borrow an SA set to confirm this.

The SA Novatouch felt remarkably dead and a bit wobbly at the same time. Very much the opposite of what my stock RF 55 feels like. I've also tried RF 45 (RF High-Pro) and it felt nothing like the Novatouch even though they seemed to both have spherical keycaps (very different profile and material obviously).
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2018, 01:25:41 by jamster »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 00:45:09 »
why I'd want to invest in a Topre keyboard, even after having discovered I was meant for low-profile switches?

If you want a low profile switch, why bother trying out another keyboard that IS NOT low profile?

It'll be around...if you ever get tired of what you have..or aren't as happy with it...you can always try Topre some other time.

One other good reason for this..most people, when they first try Topre after using some sort of MX type switch, are disappointed, because they're expecting a similar feel to MX rather than what feels to them as just another rubber dome keyboard...Out of those people, the ones that actually give it time, switch back and forth, a good percentage actually end up liking Topre a lot..so much so it makes it hard to go back to MX.

So not only would you probably not like it at first (and not give it more time given you feel like you have your end game switch), you'd have to invest time to really find out and even if you ended up liking it, it wouldn't be low profile...so now you're stuck wanting something that doesn't exist...