Author Topic: What I've learned from using the same keyboard for the last three years  (Read 1038 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Three years and three months ago I completed, what was to become, my favorite keyboard. I've since built a couple other boards but none could replace this one at my desk. Today I thought it was time to replace a few keycaps and clean it up (just a little). So what have I learned?

First, dye sublimated PBT caps hold their texture and legends much better than pad-printed ABS.

I used some Cherry ML ABS caps from an 8400 series keyboard which had an embedded number pad (they're the ones with the boxed, second layer legends). You can see the obvious wear in the second picture compared to the PBT dye-subs on the left side.
 201954-0201952-1

Replacing the caps was as simple as harvesting caps from a spare donor board with PBT dye-subs.
201958-2

Second, this is what three years of eating mixed nuts at the desk produces.
201956-3

The swap did more to rejuvenate the Alumaplop than an afternoon at the Day Spa. The keyboard has an embedded number pad but I never use it so it was easy to ditch the corresponding legends.
201960-4

Third, my home brewed anodization and dying of the aluminum has proven to be remarkably resilient to wear. Only under very close inspection can you see a very slight degrading of the surface to the right of the trackball where my ring finger slides when scrolling. No need for a photo; You won't be able to see it.

Fourth, I still love the Slimblade mounted in the center of the keyboard. Two valid complaints about the Slimblade are the bad switches and the wrist extension and excessive pronation necessary to use it. By using better switches in the right place (the modified gaming switches) and a different hand orientation, those concerns fade away.

This picture shows my hand in its position to operate the trackball. Extremely comfortable to use and very close to home position. The buttons are right where they should be and my wrist is tilted about 30º. My ring finger spins the ball for scrolling and in spite of the picture, my little finger is not that close to the keycaps. I've never accidentally hit a key when using the trackball.
201962-5
Pardon the filthy hands. I was working with polyurethane glue today and haven't yet had a chance to take a bath in MEK, but the unsanitary conditions also serves to make a point: I've heard of people having to clean their trackballs frequently because of dust and lint but I only notice performance issues that require blowing out the dust at about six month intervals. Go figure?

And last, old well worn ML switches work better than new ones. I will ocassionallyl get a little friction if I make an off-center press; either the switches are getting smoother or I just don't make as many off-center presses.

What has your favorite keyboard taught you?

Offline thealeinman

Re: What I've learned from using the same keyboard for the last three years
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:12:35 »
I got a 122 key model M for work, taught me how much I love having the ability for every key to be a macro key and to do my job for me.  So now I have one at home since most games today dont check keyboard firmware for cheats or dropshot macros and what not.