Author Topic: Giving the Saka68 more flex  (Read 4646 times)

Offline siggie0815

Giving the Saka68 more flex
« on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 17:13:05 »
Hi guys,

I bought the Saka68 Kit and I have two solder PCBs and one aluminium and one brass plate with it.

So I built the aluminium plate with Box White switches.

I have to admit that I don't like it too much. The sandwitch mounting of the board makes it rock hard to type on.

So I thought about how I could add some flex to the board (and potentially improve the sound a bit).

First I came up with the idea to add flex cuts to the plate. I thought about sth. like this:

295730-0

So I checked the case clearances and unfortunately this would require to remove some material from the case. So I would need to find someone with a milling machine that would do this for me. I would remove some material between the screw holes and leave 2 or 3 millimeter (or .1 inch) with full height at the border. So in theory this should give teh plate some room for moving up and down. This would look like this:

295732-1

Next Problem would be the quite tight USB connecotr hole. I would need to make it bigger. Fortunately, the material is quite thin here, so I could just use a file. I think this would not be much of a problem.

But looking at my idea I now think that I could also completely separate a thin border or rim from the inner part of the plate. The rim I would fix with the screws just as I do it with the sandwitch plate. Then the inner part of the plate that carries the switches could be mounted with some gasket foam in the areas where I removed the material from the case. With that solution, I see the risk, that cutting the plate would remove too much material. In that case it would be difficult to properly fix the plate using the gaskets.

So I'd like to know what your thoughts on my ideas are.
  • Waht would give a better typing comfort, in you opinion?
  • Are there any problems, that I am not considering at the moment?
  • How much material would you remove from the case (thickness)? 2mm or more?
  • For the gaskte solution, would I also need to remove material from the top case?

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2023, 17:16:05 by siggie0815 »