Author Topic: More IBM 46** POS boards, $5 start  (Read 3745 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
More IBM 46** POS boards, $5 start
« on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 18:22:00 »
Some more IBM 46** POS boards just went on eBay w/start prices of $5, including these two 4683s:

99496-0

99498-1

So have we determined those are definitely rubber domes, not buckling springs? The main areas are high enough for BS, but you guys know better than I do. Fun-looking boards, in any case.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2015, 21:18:14 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: More IBM 46** POS boards, $5 start
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 20:14:08 »
The last one that came up I understand ended up being BS over membrane (IE, Model M).
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 21:36:39 »
Sorry, I forgot to include a link to the eBay pages. I've added one that should include them.

Seeing how much they vary, is it possible that by referring to these as simply "4683s", the seller(s) have omitted the rest of the part numbers that identify the actual variants? Apparently IBM started producing what were referred to as 4683s around 1987 (like the silver-label one discussed here), then continued making them in more modern forms such as these, but with the same general 4683 designation.

I see that one of the listings shows the board's connector:

99511-0

Doesn't look like anything I'd like to tangle with. But aren't these cute and (potentially) cheap, though!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 01:58:29 »
Sorry, I forgot to include a link to the eBay pages. I've added one that should include them.

Seeing how much they vary, is it possible that by referring to these as simply "4683s", the seller(s) have omitted the rest of the part numbers that identify the actual variants? Apparently IBM started producing what were referred to as 4683s around 1987 (like the silver-label one discussed here), then continued making them in more modern forms such as these, but with the same general 4683 designation.

I see that one of the listings shows the board's connector:

(Attachment Link)

Doesn't look like anything I'd like to tangle with. But aren't these cute and (potentially) cheap, though!

Uh, I believe that is a special 8-pin SDL connector Ander.  When those keyboards are interfaced with the POS terminal, it also allows other devices to interface with the keyboard as well.  Kinda like a cash register with a full computer for POS inventory and sales.
That picture doesn't do the connector justice at all.  It does look a lot like the standard SDL cable you have on a 1391401.  Just two more pins on it.  Interesting stuff.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 04:39:15 »
Did you click the thumbnail for the bigger version? It's still not very clear though.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:31:10 »
Did you click the thumbnail for the bigger version? It's still not very clear though.

Let me help you here.  There are different cables and options for them too.
It all depends on what you actually need.  This is just a small example.
I am sure they have a lot of other varieties of these cables for special purposes.

More

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 16:25:22 »
It all depends on what you actually need.  This is just a small example...

That's really interesting, Snow. So all of those examples are used on POS boards? Including the 1st, which looks like PS/2?

As fuzzy as the photo is, it still looks like a rectangular ("trapezoidal") 2-row connector, or a 1-row with the same shape—which would be different from the examples you posted. I'm not trying to be contrarian, just curious.

Anyway, I have no intention of ordering any of these (I wouldn't know what to do with them). But since they were IBM, and pretty, and cheap, I thought someone else might like to know. Cheers!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 18:30:48 »
It all depends on what you actually need.  This is just a small example...

That's really interesting, Snow. So all of those examples are used on POS boards? Including the 1st, which looks like PS/2?

As fuzzy as the photo is, it still looks like a rectangular ("trapezoidal") 2-row connector, or a 1-row with the same shape—which would be different from the examples you posted. I'm not trying to be contrarian, just curious.

Anyway, I have no intention of ordering any of these (I wouldn't know what to do with them). But since they were IBM, and pretty, and cheap, I thought someone else might like to know. Cheers!

Yes, in case you wanted to attach one of those keyboards to a PC rather than a terminal box.  They have them so you have the flexibility and choices for whatever your business requires.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 18:32:33 »
What, you mean all business people aren't KB hackers like us? Who would've imagined? Now I feel a lot better about turning down that chance to attend Harvard Business School.