Author Topic: Model M keys and PBT keys?  (Read 8373 times)

Offline nathairtras

Model M keys and PBT keys?
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:45:10 »
How do the two compare?  What material are the Model M keys?  (And if you know, please share the reference if you have one, I can't find it anywhere!)

I just switched from a Model M to a CM QFR with greens, and the weight feels great, but the keys...  I can't stand them.  From what I have been reading, PBT sounds similar to how the Model M feels, but I don't want to set my expectations too high.
CM QFR Green

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Model M keys and PBT keys?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:46:18 »
Model M keys are PBT
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:00:02 »
Yes, Model M keys are PBT, but the case is ABS which is why the keys don't yellow from age.
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:08:20 »
Yes, Model M keys are PBT, but the case is ABS which is why the keys don't yellow from age.

Thanks to both for the answer and details.  My Model M isn't quite yellow enough for me to tell the difference between the keys and the casing.  Dated 1997, so relatively new for those things!

So now I at least know what kind to buy, now to figure out which ones and how...
CM QFR Green

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:13:36 »

Thanks to both for the answer and details.  My Model M isn't quite yellow enough for me to tell the difference between the keys and the casing.  Dated 1997, so relatively new for those things!

So now I at least know what kind to buy, now to figure out which ones and how...
Remember though that keyboard is almost old enough to vote.
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:16:17 »

Remember though that keyboard is almost old enough to vote.
I'm not that old, but, wow... that makes me feel old.  The thing can drive in October.
CM QFR Green

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:18:01 »
There's a PBT groupbuy going on right now if you are interested!

:)
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:22:31 »
I am.  Unfortunately, at $115 for the keyboard, ~$24 for a number pad with browns (wish they were greens!) and a USB KVM to replace the PS/2 one I had been using (so I can use a mouse, TKL keyboard, and number pad all at once) I am now officially out of disposable income.  Trying to sell some old computer equipment on Craigslist to fix that and fuel what feels like a costly, overnight addiction.  :))

Also, color and legend choices.  I just don't know what I want!  WYSE to emulate the venerable Model M it replaces, that would be nice, but at the same time this is my first chance to do something different with my keyboard.  I get the funny feeling that the general consensus around here will be "Why not both?" and I think I agree, once I can afford it!
CM QFR Green

Offline linziyi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 23:45:06 »
What I will do is sell (or return the keyboard to the seller saying ''I hated it'' while you don't ;P ) the QFR and wait for the Ducky G9087 Pro to come out. As far as I know, they use thick PBT and has green switches.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 23:55:08 »
I never thought I would say this, but I think I may prefer TKL.  This is my first... five hours on one, but so far I like having my trackball closer.  In fact, I tried out a Goldtouch numpad on the outside of my trackball, and that really was the perfect setup.  No fully-ergo keyboard, but much better than having my mouse on the far outside.

I think I'm done with full-size for now.  Not that I'll ever let go of the Model Ms I have.  Still have to modify one of them and clean up the other.
CM QFR Green

Offline linziyi

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 23:56:49 »
Sorry I meant 9008G2 Pro... And I double posted in your other post because I am stupid.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:07:28 »
Sorry I meant 9008G2 Pro... And I double posted in your other post because I am stupid.

No worries, I won't feel bad about not responding there now...though I considered it.  (Don't challenge me to a stupid fight.  I'll...win?)   I still can't get over how quickly the TKL won me over, even without the nice feeling of PBT keys to help.  My home Model M is sitting on the floor, abandoned...  Too bad the 9008 is the only one I'm seeing on MechanicalKeyboards.  Though at this point, I think I may just want to go for a Leopold tenkeypad, and if it isn't too challenging, eventually modding it with greens over blues.  More cables, which I dislike, but also more flexibility.
CM QFR Green

Offline Peter

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 09:47:52 »
The cases of late Model M's are probably made from PVC,
at least that's what it says on the back ...
On some of these, the space-bar is clearly made from ABS,
that's why they can achieve that ugly yellowish colour .

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 10:37:35 »

I have owned a couple of dozen ancient IBMs, and never had a yellow spacebar or case.

Unlike Apple AEKs of similar age, which almost always have yellow spacebars and cases.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Peter

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:45:28 »

I have owned a couple of dozen ancient IBMs, and never had a yellow spacebar or case.

Unlike Apple AEKs of similar age, which almost always have yellow spacebars and cases.

That's probably because you live in the US .
The late Greenock, Scotland manufactured boards often have yellow space-bars ..
( I'm talking about IBM-made Model M's produced between 1996 and 1999 at IBM's plant in Greenock, Scotland )
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:48:41 by Peter »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:53:59 »
Are the black keys for Model Ms PBT or POM? I'm thinking they might be the latter...

Offline 1391406

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:26:59 »

One of the few Model M's I've seen with a discolored spacebar:

(1991 UK Model M)
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:36:12 »
Aren't the model M spacebars ABS, instead of PBT due to the size?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:16:11 »
Aren't the model M spacebars ABS, instead of PBT due to the size?
Only the UK factory ones from what I've seen.