Author Topic: How can you know for sure that a keycap is dyesubbed?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline connection

How can you know for sure that a keycap is dyesubbed?
« on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 16:43:11 »
I've been looking at a few older keycaps, and I'm a bit unsure on how to make sure whether a keycap is dyesubbed or if it's pad printed. On newer keycaps the pad printed always (?) have an extra layer of clear coat over the print, which makes it easy to spot, but I have a few older keyboards without this layer, that I still suspect are pad printed, as the paint has been peeled off. So, is there any nondestructive way of checking what kind of print a keycap has?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: How can you know for sure that a keycap is dyesubbed?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 16:44:22 »
Yeah I don't know. Ask Ivan imo, he knows everything :)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 16:45:04 »
as the paint has been peeled off.

Yeah, that probably isn't dyesub.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:06:39 »
To grossly over-simplify, the "sub" part of dye-sublimation means that the dye penetrates into the body of the material rather than being a surface film or layer that can peel off.

The entire surface plane must be ablated farther than the penetration of the dye in order for the image to disappear.

Only rootwyrm can do that.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:15:30 »
Cut it in half with a sharp knife?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline connection

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 17:26:49 »
Thanks for the replies! Yes, peeled off paint probably means pad print, but I have other keyboards where I don't want to try to damage the keys or the print to make sure. I'm struggling to spot any differences between that keyboard that is pad printed, keycaps that I know are dyesubbed, and unknown ones. The keyboard with peeled off print has been in industrial use before, so I'm still not 100 % certain if it's really pad print.

I also know that dyesubbed print disappears after heavy use. My father used to print pens with a dye-sub machine during the early 90's, and on some of these pens that have been heavily used, the print has started to disappear. This machine is a small model, so the print probably wasn't that deep into the plastic as a factory printed keycap would have.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:12:28 »
Pad print usually has a thickness to it, even if it's very small.  Imagine putting sticker on keyboard.

Dye-sub usually will be perfectly flat, since the paint is penetrated into the plastic and become part of it.  But yes dye-sub only penetrated down to a certain degress, so if you physically wear the keycap down beyond that then it will disappear.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 07:00:30 »
One of easiest ways is to test if the keycap is PBT. Only dyesub on PBT, not ABS. If it is PBT keycap it is more likely to be dyesub than pad printed. Pad printing is cheaper process, so them using PBT which is generally more expensive material is less likely.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 07:04:36 »
You can usually feel or see something for certain types of legends.

Pad printed - feel the bump of the printed legend
Laser etched - feel the indentation of the lasered legend
Doubleshot - see the two interweaved shots from the bottom
Dyesub - can't feel or see anything