Author Topic: "Ghetto" mouse bungee  (Read 7591 times)

Offline shogrran

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 01:07:34 »
We all have concerns about managing the cable of the mouse. Some don't want to bother with it and just buys wireless mice. A lot more of us do not want to sacrifice the reliability of a wired mouse.

Durability is also a question. Braided mouse cords are a plus to durability but then the braided cord is also a bit more on the non-flexible side.

I also would like a wired mouse that is braided for durability. I just didn't want to spend 20USD on a Razer Mouse bungee nor a Roccat Apuri.

So this is what I have to keep the mouse cable "afloat" so the mouse can move freely.

Pro's

1. The friction of the braided cord on top of the table is eliminated.
2. The string i used to suspend the mouse is rubberized so it helps increase the "range" of how far you can pull the mouse - decreasing the risk that as you are concentrating on a game and you noticed you already pulled the cord too far.
3. The wire I used to tie the bungee on the other end is just a simple cable tie that you find when you buy your computer peripherals. Now you can tie the rubberized string directly but doing it this way allows you to easily disconnect the "bungee" and connect it somewhere else if you need to transport your mouse.
4. Unlike the Roccat apuri... the cable doesn't "buckle" up when you slide the mouse forward. I don't know if its an issue for you guys but a braided cable "buckling" up or sideways creates a lot of resistance.
5. Right now using this method I can say that I barely even feel that I have a wired mouse.

Con's

1. Its fugly.

I know a lot of you might have already done this or something like this. Please post your comments and your own style if you want to share.

*NOTE: It helps if what you attached it to - is also a movable object... in my case it is just a random wire fro my PS3. It lessens the resistance even more by padding the motion of the rubberized string.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2012, 01:15:10 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline limmy

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 03:52:33 »
I use Razer Mamba wired. Instead of the stock cable which is braided, I use retractable mini B USB cable. The cable is thin enough that it doesn't get in the way, moreover it is light enough that I don't really feel the cable is there. You would have to cut some of the plug of the  usb cable for in order for it to fit inside of Mamba though. The cable doesn't seem to be durable, but you can always replace it cheaply when it breaks. I bought two of the cables from an ebay seller for 2 USD shipped from China. The cables are not USB 2 capable, but it doesn't really matter for the purpose.

My method is great since I have an option to go wireless. However, this is not a cost effective for wired mouse.

I could do the same for Logitech G700. But I mainly use Logitech G700 wireless since I can replace AA battery easily. For Mamba, Li-ion battery is not easily replaceable. (Razer do not provide separate Li-ion battery charger, that is.)

Offline shogrran

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 11:18:07 »
Quote from: limmy;551280
I could do the same for Logitech G700. But I mainly use Logitech G700 wireless since I can replace AA battery easily. For Mamba, Li-ion battery is not easily replaceable. (Razer do not provide separate Li-ion battery charger, that is.)

Yea... i guess that was my concern with the wireless mice. The Razer batteries is like having a camera with an unknown brand... once the batteries fade out, you better wish they still produce those batteries. AA batteries on the other hand I think is quite a bit heavy and on the bulky side. But better since they are always there... and I guess will never get phased out.

Question about the retractable mini B USB cable... doesn't the hub where the cable retracts into cause any issues?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Elrobo

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 11:54:59 »
I also use a retractable micro usb cable (like $1.50 on ebay) for my G700. The hub part of the cable sits in front of my mouse pad, and the cable is light enough that it has no resistance on my mouse or real drag on my desk. The only thing that could cause issue is it's not very long, so I have the actual USB side into an extension that goes into my pc. I have a mouse bungee as well, but it's cable track is not big enough to hold the fat mouse cable that came with the g700, and on the flip side, my retractable cable is so light the bungee would be adding resistance.

Offline JoeC

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2012, 23:50:46 »
Quote from: shogrran;551208

*NOTE: It helps if what you attached it to - is also a movable object... in my case it is just a random wire fro my PS3. It lessens the resistance even more by padding the motion of the rubberized string.

Hope you're not putting stress on the connector plugs of your 'random wire'.  Just thinking about the long term effects on the soldered connection inside the unit, not so much the wire.

As for my mouse, I have a cheap USB mouse from Wal-Mart.  The cable is very thin, so it really hasn't been an issue for me.  Maybe after I fix my truck I'll get a worthwhile mouse.
Lurk Moar!!!!!

Offline shogrran

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 04:21:48 »
Quote from: JoeC;552093
Hope you're not putting stress on the connector plugs of your 'random wire'.  Just thinking about the long term effects on the soldered connection inside the unit, not so much the wire.

As for my mouse, I have a cheap USB mouse from Wal-Mart.  The cable is very thin, so it really hasn't been an issue for me.  Maybe after I fix my truck I'll get a worthwhile mouse.

It doesn't have to be a "random wire". It could be just one of the posts of your computer table. or another string -non rubberized this time tied to a nail or a hook on the wall. It is just to add a little bit more 'mobility'. If it was the garterized string directly it will "pull-back" on the mouse wire harder. If you add a 2nd layer of string... then it won't pull back as much. It works like a double-action switch.

The wire I attached it to is a power cable. It barely even moves actually so it is ok. :D
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline limmy

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:26:24 »
Quote from: shogrran;551494
Yea... i guess that was my concern with the wireless mice. The Razer batteries is like having a camera with an unknown brand... once the batteries fade out, you better wish they still produce those batteries. AA batteries on the other hand I think is quite a bit heavy and on the bulky side. But better since they are always there... and I guess will never get phased out.

Question about the retractable mini B USB cable... doesn't the hub where the cable retracts into cause any issues?

My Mamba battery died on me. It ballooned up and died couple of months ago. There are replacement batteries sold on ebay and Razer also sell them. But yeah.. you are right about the concern. Who knows for how long they will produce them. However, I figured that by the time you need a new battery, it is likely that there will be new stuff that would outperform your old mouse.

I don't really understand your question. What do you mean by issues regarding "the hub where the cable retracts into"? The cable itself is flimsy and seems to be easily breakable. So, I am pretty sure there will be issues everywhere if you don't baby them. The reasons I use them are: 1. they are dirt cheap, 2. the cable is super light, 3. easy to carry around if needed.

I didn't have any problems using the cable for two or so years. It may have been because it was sitting on my desk most of time, or it could be that I was lucky. But again, dirt cheap. And I like cheap solutions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:28:59 by limmy »

Offline hxu1

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 10:38:55 »
lol

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 April 2012, 20:43:45 »
just buy one lol!! :pound:

but still creative

Offline neverlast74

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 16:11:24 »
I am using a cloth-pin which is attached through tape on the backside/close to the side of my monitor. works fine..
Tour de kübord - Germany Layout:
Original IBM model M (too loud) -> rubber dome IBM Rapid Access II (mediocre) -> Cherry STREAM XT scissor switch (somewhat OK) -> G80 with clear (too hard for me) -> Zowie Celeritas with brown (good but dirty)-> Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (great) -> CM NovaTouch + Filco Doubleshots (best)

Offline aerial

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 04:13:31 »

Offline dmbr

"Ghetto" mouse bungee
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 18:03:49 »
Hey, the Apuri is sweet, works like a dream. It also functions as a USB hub, remember.