Author Topic: Blue vs Topre which one first  (Read 5020 times)

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
Blue vs Topre which one first
« on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:10:44 »
No no , not another oh here-we-go-again fiery debate between topre and cherries. I planning to get both but bo money. So which one should I get first. Which will radically change my typing experience?  I owns a cherry red. I tried type heaven at shop. Omo that smoothness!!  Of cuz final decision still up to me, see how it goes, up to the astronomical star arrangement on that day for a taurus. :)
Steelseries 6gv2 red switch
Ducky shine 3 TKL blue switch http://i.imgur.com/5LcUxh.jpg
HHKB Professional 2 no-blank http://i.imgur.com/JSIa1.pngk

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
Re: Blue vs Topre which one first
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:13:06 »
If you already own a cherry keyboard... get a topre board. Its a whole new typing experience.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 10:01:58 »
Yep, you already have a Cherry MX keyboard, why not go to the darkside and try a Topre? Proud and contented owner of a Type Heaven myself.....as well as a RF 103UB-55G......and throw in a couple of HHKB 2's. If you want to stick with an MX board, then it's fine as well.....your money, your prerogative. I'd gotten three or four Cherry MX boards before trying my first Topre....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 10:03:04 »
Another thing to consider is getting a cheaper Cherry MX blue board and some nicer key caps.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 10:13:49 »
lonedruid, don't destroy your wallet.

ignore these guys, get a secondhand Razer with blue switches for $50 shipped and never look back.  :cool:

if you follow what the other guys say about Topre, you will be sucked into a  world of stratospheric expenditures. Six months and seven keyboards and three-four thousand dollars later, you will be wondering what went wrong.

No no , not another oh here-we-go-again fiery debate between topre and cherries. I planning to get both but bo money. So which one should I get first. Which will radically change my typing experience?  I owns a cherry red. I tried type heaven at shop. Omo that smoothness!!  Of cuz final decision still up to me, see how it goes, up to the astronomical star arrangement on that day for a taurus. :)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline alosec

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 13:45:06 »
the one that will most radically change your "typing experience" are the blues. topre are pretty similar to cherry, they are both very smooth but topre has a bump and reds dont. blues are loud & clicky, something very different from both reds and topre

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 14:54:36 »
I agree with both snoopy and PadawanGeek. If you already have a Cherry MX board, there is nothing wrong with owning a Topre board as well. Each switch seems to have their own benefits and along with having tasted the differences in feel I am sure one also learns valuable insights rather than having to go by what you felt with typing on it before and not having the actual said product in your hands.

Besides, your Cherry MX board may allow you to swap switches for instance pretty easily and fairly cheaply if you have the right tools and maybe a bit of know how. To invest in yet another Cherry MX switch when you could afford a cheap Topre seems to be a bit of a shame when you have already felt how good it was to taste it when it was in the shop.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 15:47:04 »
you haven't had a tactile switch yet.  go try a blue or a buckling spring.  45 topre is not tactile in any way; 55g is marginally tactile.

you'll find that topre is very good at linear and buckling spring is very good at tactility.  MX switches are imitations that aren;'t optimized for switch feel; they're optimized for customizability and looks.  that's not to say that no one will find them the best,just that their definitions of linear and tactile are less extreme than other switch types.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 20:09:55 »
In the end you will get both, so either would be good for a start. Save your indecision for another occasion.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 21:46:24 »
Get the Topre next.  You already have MX reds, which is probably the best MX switch, IMO.

If you want something really different from Cherry, get the ergonomically variable weighted silent Topre switches. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:37:36 »
Topruhhhhhh

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 23:13:44 »
45 topre is not tactile in any way; 55g is marginally tactile.

Wat

There is no way you can not call 45g topres not tactile. Blues' tactile bump is sharp, but topres have a longer, smoother bump.

As far as the OP, you should try both switches before you buy. Maybe look into the cooler master switch demo? If you're coming from reds, blues will be as radically as 45g topre.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tbc

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 23:35:07 »
tactile compared to a buckling spring?  not close in the slightest.  I did mention that blues are imitation tactile switches.

EDIT:

I think I see what is happening here.  for someone who enjoys linear switches, 45g is indeed tactile.  that's just a skewed subjective opinion though; it's still patheticly bumpless compared to even a unicomp board.

I actually mistook the 45g bump as keycap wobble.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2013, 23:38:38 by tbc »

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 00:40:32 »
tactile compared to a buckling spring?  not close in the slightest.  I did mention that blues are imitation tactile switches.

EDIT:

I think I see what is happening here.  for someone who enjoys linear switches, 45g is indeed tactile.  that's just a skewed subjective opinion though; it's still patheticly bumpless compared to even a unicomp board.

I actually mistook the 45g bump as keycap wobble.

If you're looking for an objective opinion, look no further:

Topre 45g:

BS:

As you can see here, topre has a smoother, smaller (~30-45g) bump, whereas BS has one point where it drops from ~65g to ~45g. The overall difference (15g vs 20g) is not that much, it is just the sharp drop off in force that makes the BS seem more tactile. You also may be confusing more force with more tactility, which is a common mistake.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 01:15:02 »
....?

it's good to see that we agree that buckling spring more tactile than topre 45g.

saying that 5 g is meaningless is just saying there's no difference between 45g topre and 55g.

but let's stop playing games; we both know that switch feel involves more factors than just stated specs and force curves.

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 03:03:20 »

After first using the Filco Majestouch 2 - Cherry MX Blue switches, then IBM Model M and now the RealForce 104U Topre switches—I can say confidently, the Topre offers a quite unique typing experience that has grown on me quite a bit. It's definitely something worth trying out if you can before forking over a hefty amount. But I can say it's a purchase I don't regret.

To each's own!  ; :thumb:

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 03:04:29 »

After first using the Filco Majestouch 2 - Cherry MX Blue switches, then IBM Model M and now the RealForce 104U Topre switches—I can say confidently, the Topre offers a quite unique typing experience that has grown on me quite a bit. It's definitely something worth trying out if you can before forking over a hefty amount. In my mind it's a purchase I don't regret.

To each's own!  ; :thumb:

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 22:01:32 »
the one that will most radically change your "typing experience" are the blues. topre are pretty similar to cherry, they are both very smooth but topre has a bump and reds dont. blues are loud & clicky, something very different from both reds and topre

Thank you. Browns/Topres are majorly different.

Get the Topre next.  You already have MX reds, which is probably the best MX switch, IMO.

If you want something really different from Cherry, get the ergonomically variable weighted silent Topre switches. 

If reds are the best switch, and they have zero tactility, you would suggest that he gets a marginally tactile rubber dome switch?  :))
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 22:42:55 »

If reds are the best switch, and they have zero tactility, you would suggest that he gets a marginally tactile rubber dome switch?  :))

No.  I suggested that OP get a Topre switch keyboard. 

First:  Topre is not a rubber dome switch.  Topre is an electrostatic capacitance switch, which is superior technology to rubber dome switch, which is also a "mechanical" switch, in that the rubber dome is the "mechanism" by which the electrical circuit is closed.  An electrostatic capacitive switch does not use a physical metal part to make the electrical connection, instead the electrical connection is made by capacitance.  Topre capacitive switches do not physically complete an electric circuit like most other keyboard technologies.  Instead, electric current constantly flows through all parts of the key matrix.  Each key is spring-loaded and has a tiny plate attached to the bottom of it.  When you press a key, you do the work of moving the tiny top plate closer to the larger plate below it.  As the gap between the two plates decreases, the capacitance increases, and the amount of current flowing through the matrix changes.  The micro-processor in the keyboard detects the change in voltage and interprets it as a key press for that location. 

Because there is no physical contact, capacitive switch keyboards have a longer life than any other mechanical keyboard.  Also, capacitive switch keyboards do not have problems with signal bounce since the two surfaces never come into physical contact.  Signal bounce is a real problem if you want an electronic circuit with fast response time.  Contact bounce can produce very noticeable and undesired effects. 

Second:  MX Reds are the best Cherry switches for me, since I do either heavy gaming or heavy typing.  The linear 45g actuation force of the MX reds is good for both heavy gaming and heavy typing since it reduces finger fatigue.  So, since he is like me and likes reds, he probably will not like browns, blues or blacks any better, but he probably will like Topre.  Topre will have more tactility that MX Reds, it is true, but the Topre keypress is immensely more enjoyable than the keypress of any MX switch.  Furthermore, one cannot directly compare the tactility of Topre to that of MX.   Both have a tactile bump, but Topre feels completely different from the MX tactile bump.  Also, it occurs at the top of the keystroke, not in the middle.  And finally the 30g switches found in an ergo variable weighted Topre keyboard are so light that the tactile bump is almost unnoticeable, making them feel much like MX reds, but lighter reds, if that makes sense.  So that, in toto, is the reason for my recommendation.  I did not write it out in full, but since you asked for clarification, I am giving it to you now.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 04:21:42 »
If you own a CHerry MX red-based keyboard, you will probably find that MX blue feels very similar, but with a bump and a click (which might end up annoying you).

As you have tried one MX switch, I would also suggest you try Topre.

At least if you really don't like Topre you should be able to resell the board for almost what you paid for it - minimal loss, but experience gain.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 09:00:19 »
Hmm general sentiment tilts towards topre. TOPRE here I COME!!! :)  I will go with a type heaven. Would like a leopold f6606c as well. But I dont dare try those 60 percent. Lol berzekerfan. We meet again :)  1pq thanks for your graphs I will study them later. Ty all for your inputs :) sry late reply u quite busy :)

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 09:01:43 »
Boy, I smile alot  :-\

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 09:11:19 »
Take type heaven with a grain of salt. I've been told that your experiences with the you're heaven shouldn't affect how you feel about topre. If you have the money I'd really consider the Leopold or a realforce. If type heaven is your only option then just realize that it may not be a good example of what topre is supposed to feel like
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:02:00 »
Er so would you recommend a leopold 6006c? Their capacitance switch are topre switch right? Because they never openly say it is topre switch that they are using.

About type heaven I have not seen much of ppl complaining except that the main thing being the abs caps instaed of pbts. But thanks for ur input. I will look into it.

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:07:58 »
@eth0s
I would like the variable rf. But in singapore I have not been able to find except rf high profile grey 103u 45g at xtreme solutions at sim lims square. I will try to find at more places  :thumb:

Offline Tony

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:25:05 »
@eth0s
I would like the variable rf. But in singapore I have not been able to find except rf high profile grey 103u 45g at xtreme solutions at sim lims square. I will try to find at more places  :thumb:
I have come to Sim Lim Square and seen at least three shops that sell Realforce. Google for the exact location.

Hydra Distribution
Sim Lim Square, #04-19
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 00:27:42 »

No.  I suggested that OP get a Topre switch keyboard. 

First:  Topre is not a rubber dome switch.  Topre is an electrostatic capacitance switch, which is superior technology to rubber dome switch, which is also a "mechanical" switch, in that the rubber dome is the "mechanism" by which the electrical circuit is closed.  An electrostatic capacitive switch does not use a physical metal part to make the electrical connection, instead the electrical connection is made by capacitance.  Topre capacitive switches do not physically complete an electric circuit like most other keyboard technologies.  Instead, electric current constantly flows through all parts of the key matrix.  Each key is spring-loaded and has a tiny plate attached to the bottom of it.  When you press a key, you do the work of moving the tiny top plate closer to the larger plate below it.  As the gap between the two plates decreases, the capacitance increases, and the amount of current flowing through the matrix changes.  The micro-processor in the keyboard detects the change in voltage and interprets it as a key press for that location. 

Because there is no physical contact, capacitive switch keyboards have a longer life than any other mechanical keyboard.  Also, capacitive switch keyboards do not have problems with signal bounce since the two surfaces never come into physical contact.  Signal bounce is a real problem if you want an electronic circuit with fast response time.  Contact bounce can produce very noticeable and undesired effects. 

Second:  MX Reds are the best Cherry switches for me, since I do either heavy gaming or heavy typing.  The linear 45g actuation force of the MX reds is good for both heavy gaming and heavy typing since it reduces finger fatigue.  So, since he is like me and likes reds, he probably will not like browns, blues or blacks any better, but he probably will like Topre.  Topre will have more tactility that MX Reds, it is true, but the Topre keypress is immensely more enjoyable than the keypress of any MX switch.  Furthermore, one cannot directly compare the tactility of Topre to that of MX.   Both have a tactile bump, but Topre feels completely different from the MX tactile bump.  Also, it occurs at the top of the keystroke, not in the middle.  And finally the 30g switches found in an ergo variable weighted Topre keyboard are so light that the tactile bump is almost unnoticeable, making them feel much like MX reds, but lighter reds, if that makes sense.  So that, in toto, is the reason for my recommendation.  I did not write it out in full, but since you asked for clarification, I am giving it to you now.

Ah, you make no sense. He didn't say that he liked Reds at all, he said that he had them. Therefore, the entire premise of your suggestion is flawed. Also, if he wanted a lighter linear switch, a much more practical solution would be simply replacing the springs with lighter ones. It makes no sense to buy a mildly tactile, extremely expensive board so that he can have a bastardized light switch. I guess it doesn't matter to you, though, it's not your money.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.