Author Topic: [GB] GMK Birch - production complete, vendors now shipping!  (Read 45826 times)

Offline break

[GB] GMK Birch - production complete, vendors now shipping!
« on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 22:49:30 »

Details

Welcome to the group buy page for GMK Birch. For more details (including renders and set inspiration), please visit the interest check for GMK Birch.

Birch for Chairity Fundraiser Event

Goals

100% of proceeds from these sales will fund the efforts of New Incentives. I will also match all donations up to a certain level, which I'll announce once we hold the raffle. See below for charity details.

More
With the success of GMK Birch, I've wanted to use my platform to give back to people for some time. I have a few updates on this effort.

We live in a time where folks all across the world are racing to distribute and administer vaccines to protect our most vulnerable people from COVID-19. This terrible disease has shaken our families, friends, workplaces, economies and governments. Insofar as keysets, keyboards, and artisans can bring together a diverse collection of people to power through these trying times, keebs are awesome.

I'd like to ask you all to join me in leveraging that community for a more fundamental issue in vaccine distribution. Most countries agree on the power of vaccines, but this is not necessarily true across the world. Vaccines are only effective if broadly adopted, but in countries like Nigeria they are not yet fully accepted by the population. A full 40% of under-five deaths in Nigeria could have been prevented by the vaccines my one-year old child easily receives in the United States: PENTA, OPV for polio, Hepatitis B, MCV for measles, etc.

The effort focuses on improving the availability of commonly-administered vaccines by fundraising on behalf of New Incentives. New Incentives provides conditional cash payments to families in northwest Nigeria who vaccinate their children. GiveWell rates New Incentives with very high marks, as a non-profit which uses its funds effectively to dramatically improve the lives of people. In this case, $11 can ensure a single child receives a series of vaccines which will significantly increase their odds of surviving past the age of five.

Participants

This event will run from April 30th to May 7, 2021. Participants include:

Prime Caps
Sodie Caps
Destroyer Caps
Latrialum
deagcaps
Phage Caps
Alpha Keycaps
Cannon Keys
@hectoring_mk

I'm thrilled with the efforts of New Incentives, and I hope you all will join me in supporting them as well. I will share more news with you on the details of the event soon. If you're an artisan interested in collaborating then please contact me (my info can be found in the OP).

Available Artisans

See below for some available artisans.

More

Vendors

GMK Birch was previously open for group buy at these vendors from February 1st to March 1st, 2021.

US: CannonKeys.com
SEA: Monokei.co
EU: MyKeyboard.eu
UK: Prototypist.net
CA: DeskHero.ca
AU: DailyClack.com
CN: zFrontier.com

Kits

Base Kit (MOQ: 250)

Spacebars (MOQ: 100)

Novelties (MOQ: 150)

Forties (MOQ: 100)

This is an extremely light 40s kit, offered to help a few friends use Birch on their 40s.

RAMA

This is Rama Works's collaborative aluminum artisan for GMK Birch. It has two infill layers and two tiers. You can see those tiers in the isometric view. The birch-colored drink tier is the lowest tier, while the rocks glass outline sits above it. Both are engraved into the keycap, which is anodized to lazurite blue.
Thank you to Sour for the inspiration, through the incredible Rama for GMK Pono.

Banderole

Artisans

Some of you have heard me claim that I “quit” artisans. You never really quit artisans, though, am I right? So I’m excited that some of my favorite artisans have agreed to collaborate on this set:

Prime Caps
Sodie Caps
Destroyer Caps
TRMK Caps
Latrialum
deagcaps
Bad and Booj Keys
Mastonon Designs
Phage Caps

Space Cables is also offering a collaborative cable. Purchase that here.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2022, 16:00:25 by break »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: [GB] GMK Birch
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 10:04:05 »
Approved. Gl w/gb and caveat emptor!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 10:04:37 »
glwgb mate
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline of_sam

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 10:08:55 »
Cute set, nice kitting and solid price. Well done  :)
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline break

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 10:35:49 »
Thank you both!!

Offline crykn

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 18:32:26 »
It's happening!

Offline dimo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 21:47:50 »
mmmmm cable

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 23:24:06 »
I really like this set but I already spent my keyboard budget on other sets/boards this month and need to put a bit aside for upcoming boards.
However I will check at the end of the month again and at least buy the rama. If possible also base and novelties.
There ist just too much good stuff running in Q1 this year.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 10:09:31 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2021, 11:29:28 by dvorcol »

Offline break

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 11:01:56 »
Show Image

Thanks Dvorcol!!

Bit of color on these numbers - two vendors still have not reported since GB launch. Odds are that Base, Spacebar and Novelties have all hit MOQ.

The small deskmats need major help, and I’ll probably cancel those if we don’t see a large bump over the next few days.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:30:56 by break »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:39:13 »
The small deskmats need major help, and I’ll probably cancel those if we don’t see a large bump over the next few days.

I think they're actually too small. Something in between it and the regular size would work better I think. Also, at only $1 less than the regular size, there's not much reason to purchase.

Offline break

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:49:49 »

I think they're actually too small. Something in between it and the regular size would work better I think. Also, at only $1 less than the regular size, there's not much reason to purchase.

I think you're right, and I'm close to admitting that my dream of custom-fitting deskmats for my tray will now depend on my cutting / sewing abilities.

Offline break

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:42:07 »
Welcome to the Week 1 update for GMK Birch. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:
  • Base - 349
  • Novelty - 156
  • Space - 126
  • Forties - 27
  • RAMA - 208

Deskmats:
  • Wavy Large Mat - 26
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 11
  • Wavy Small Mat - 2
  • Houndstooth Small Mat - 1

Conclusions from this:
  • Base, Novelties and Spacebars have all broken MOQ during Week 1.
  • Over 200 RAMA Rocks artisans sold during Week 1. That's insane - thank you all!!
  • Forties is about 25% of the way to MOQ, and could use a bit of help.
  • Wavy deskmat has hit MOQ, Houndstooth is on its way. Could use some help.
  • Both small sized (510x300mm) deskmats will be cancelled.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support so far. I dreamed up this goofy chair idea between bottle feedings for my 4-month old. Now, with him turning 13 months old this week, you all have helped me make this set a reality.

I have a crazy idea to connect Birch to something helpful / charitable beyond our hobby, and will update you all when that plan comes alive. You can follow me on Instagram or join my Discord server below for more details.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 13:45:48 »
More
Welcome to the Week 1 update for GMK Birch. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:
  • Base - 349
  • Novelty - 156
  • Space - 126
  • Forties - 27
  • RAMA - 208

Deskmats:
  • Wavy Large Mat - 26
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 11
  • Wavy Small Mat - 2
  • Houndstooth Small Mat - 1

Conclusions from this:
  • Base, Novelties and Spacebars have all broken MOQ during Week 1.
  • Over 200 RAMA Rocks artisans sold during Week 1. That's insane - thank you all!!
  • Forties is about 25% of the way to MOQ, and could use a bit of help.
  • Wavy deskmat has hit MOQ, Houndstooth is on its way. Could use some help.
  • Both small sized (510x300mm) deskmats will be cancelled.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support so far. I dreamed up this goofy chair idea between bottle feedings for my 4-month old. Now, with him turning 13 months old this week, you all have helped me make this set a reality.

I have a crazy idea to connect Birch to something helpful / charitable beyond our hobby, and will update you all when that plan comes alive. You can follow me on Instagram or join my Discord server below for more details.

Offline break

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:18:50 »
It's time for the Week 2 update for GMK Birch. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:

• Base - 471
  • Novelty - 197
  • Space - 165
  • Forties - 43
  • RAMA - 279

Deskmats:
  • Wavy Large Mat - 42
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 16

As usual with mid-GB sales numbers, some vendors have stale sales numbers, others haven't reported at all, etc etc. It's very likely we've sold 500 base kits as of today.

Conclusions from this week's sales:
  • Forties seems well on its way to MOQ, after a slower start. Thank you all for the support!
  • It looks like both the Wavy and Houndstooth deskmats will both hit MOQ. My wife thanks you for supporting the Houndstooth deskmat.

You can expect to see news on artisan collabs from Shirouu Caps, Deag Caps, and Destroyer Caps this week, with future collabs to follow. Keep an eye on their Instagrams and Discord servers for more news.

I also continue work on a charitable idea linked to GMK Birch, and will let you all know once I have more news. I'm really happy with research into the cause I've selected, and I hope you all will be happy to see it too.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:36:43 »
Oh what Chair-ity were you thinking?

Offline break

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 12:02:23 »
Oh what Chair-ity were you thinking?

I'll share once I pin down the structure and participants for this effort. :)

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 14:07:10 »

Offline break

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 09:01:05 »
Some artisan raffle news - my collaboration with shirouu kaps will be raffled off today! Check out this Instagram post for more details.

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 11:12:27 »
grats on moq! super clean set especially for anyone with a mid century modern office space

Offline Full

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 11:13:14 »
Such a nice set!  :-*
Hi!

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 12:40:24 »
C'MONNNNNNNN 40'S KIT!
Please don't make me buy out MOQ.

Offline smshark

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 13:04:49 »
Also anxiously awaiting the next 40s update to see how much heavy-lifting will be needed down the stretch

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 13:06:37 »
Biting my nails to find out if I have to sell all my 40's boards to buy out the 40's moq for this lol.
That would be ironic.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 14:38:42 »
I really like this one, good job! :)

Offline break

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:42:30 »
It's time for the Week 3 update for GMK Birch. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:

• Base - 683
  • Novelty - 279
  • Space - 233
  • Forties - 58
  • RAMA - 383

Deskmats:

• Wavy Large Mat - 61
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 28

As usual with mid-GB sales numbers, some vendors have stale sales numbers, others haven't reported at all, etc etc.

• Both large format deskmats have now hit MOQ!
  • Forties continues to be on its way to MOQ. No concerns so far here.

This week, you can expect artisan collab news from Latrialum, Bad & Booj, and maybe DeagCaps and Destroyer Caps.

GMK Birch Charity Fundraisers - first details

I've wanted to use the platform I have for GMK Birch to give back to people for some time. After a bit of research, I'm comfortable sharing the first details on this effort.

We live in a time where folks all across the world are racing to distribute and administer vaccines to protect our most vulnerable people from COVID-19. This terrible disease has shaken our families, friends, workplaces, economies and governments. Insofar as keysets, keyboards, and artisans can bring together a diverse collection of people to power through these trying times, keebs are awesome.

I'd like to ask you all to join me in leveraging that community for a more fundamental issue in vaccine distribution. Most countries agree on the power of vaccines, but this is not necessarily true across the world. Vaccines are only effective if broadly adopted, but in countries like Nigeria they are not yet fully accepted by the population. A full 40% of under-five deaths in Nigeria could have been prevented by the vaccines my one-year old child easily receives in the United States: PENTA, OPV for polio, Hepatitis B, MCV for measles, etc.

I would like to enlist your help in improving the availability of commonly-administered vaccines by contributing to New Incentives. New Incentives provides conditional cash payments to families in northwest Nigeria who vaccinate their children. GiveWell rates New Incentives very highly, as a non-profit which uses its funds efficiently to dramatically improve the lives of people.

I will be donating a special Birch artisan commission as part of this fundraiser, and several artisans have agreed to join me in donating via raffles for charity. 100% of proceeds from these sales will fund the efforts of New Incentives.

I'm really happy with the cause I've selected, and I hope you all will be happy to support New Incentives as well. I will share more news with you on the participating artists soon. If you're an artisan interested in collaborating on this effort, please contact me.[/list]

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 18:05:49 »
More
It's time for the Week 3 update for GMK Birch. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:

• Base - 683
  • Novelty - 279
  • Space - 233
  • Forties - 58
  • RAMA - 383

Deskmats:

• Wavy Large Mat - 61
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 28

As usual with mid-GB sales numbers, some vendors have stale sales numbers, others haven't reported at all, etc etc.

• Both large format deskmats have now hit MOQ!
  • Forties continues to be on its way to MOQ. No concerns so far here.

Offline break

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 11:17:24 »
Meika has posted first details on the Latrialum x GMK Birch collaboration.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 11:57:31 »
damn that is so hot.

Not looking forward to having to pay $400-600 each for these aftermarket though.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 13:04:50 »
Tomorrow's the last day for GB right? How we looking on that 40's kit MOQ?
In other words... How big a hit is my wallet about to take?

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:08:56 »
Yup, exactly the color way i've been looking for lol. Nice job man

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 00:57:23 »
Birch is hot. Support Birch!

Offline KurtKurtson

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 01:26:04 »
want to know this as well. last chance to order a spacebar kit instead

Offline smshark

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 10:48:25 »
want to know this as well. last chance to order a spacebar kit instead

Per the most recent reddit post - looks like 40s are going to be made!
edit: reddit post link https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/lvcjez/gb_gmk_birch_closes_in_less_than_24_hours/

Offline break

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 11:17:18 »
So weird. Why am I not getting Geekhack notifications for this thread? They're turned on...

There are less than 24 hours remaining for GMK Birch’s group buy. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:

• Base - 883
  • Novelty - 346
  • Space - 308
  • Forties - 67. Forties will be produced.
  • RAMA - 511

Deskmats:

• Wavy Large Mat - 77
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 32

There are also details for the Birch for Chairity Fundraiser event on my r/mechmarket update. Some teasers:

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 14:50:06 »
I am an idiot. I got the dates mixed up with another GB. Will there be any extras? Or I have to wait until after production to find out?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 March 2021, 14:57:50 by MichelKami »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 15:44:41 »
I am an idiot. I got the dates mixed up with another GB. Will there be any extras? Or I have to wait until after production to find out?

Go to dailyclack periodically. They reasonably sell extras in between the GB and when the GB ships. Basically plus 40 over what you'd have paid at GB (more money, shipping from Aus) but relative to trying to hit on a rush of extras is challenging. The Rama...that's gotta wait for aftermarket.

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:00:12 »

Go to dailyclack periodically. They reasonably sell extras in between the GB and when the GB ships. Basically plus 40 over what you'd have paid at GB (more money, shipping from Aus) but relative to trying to hit on a rush of extras is challenging. The Rama...that's gotta wait for aftermarket.

Oh ok thank you very much!

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:27:56 »
GMK birch still live at mykeyboard.eu

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:30:26 »

Woah, do they ship to US? I'm about to order right now if they do

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:44:50 »

I don't know, but prices are in euros just so you know.

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 16:50:19 »

I don't know, but prices are in euros just so you know.

Yea i just placed the order and it calculated standard shipping of 20 euros to the US. So i hope and pray it goes smoothly lol. Thanks a lot, really appreciate it

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 18:01:37 »
So weird. Why am I not getting Geekhack notifications for this thread? They're turned on...

More
There are less than 24 hours remaining for GMK Birch’s group buy. Sales counts for you, with items hitting MOQ in bold:

• Base - 883
  • Novelty - 346
  • Space - 308
  • Forties - 67. Forties will be produced.
  • RAMA - 511

Deskmats:

• Wavy Large Mat - 77
  • Houndstooth Large Mat - 32

There are also details for the Birch for Chairity Fundraiser event on my r/mechmarket update. Some teasers:

Show Image

Show Image

I have this GB marked as Watch but it's no longer showing up in my list.  :(

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 01:17:04 by dvorcol »

Offline idealape

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 03:32:57 »
went for it. I think it's a pretty versatile set, that render on a rosegold keeb did it for me.

Offline break

Re: [GB] GMK Birch - GB concluded, awaiting quotes
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 16:37:05 »
For those following me on The Socials, you already know I've moved on to the GMK Red Alert GB.

But I haven't forgotten my chair set! We're finalizing order numbers now, and I'll update you all with totals soon. For those of you who missed out on the GB, there will be extras available at all vendors.

Offline jimmythetooth

Re: [GB] GMK Birch - GB concluded, finalizing order
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 20:31:56 »
Can't believe I missed this.  :'( Will be watching closely for those extras!

Offline break

Re: [GB] GMK Birch - GB concluded, finalizing order
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 15:03:26 »

Final numbers are in. Thank you all so much for supporting my first group buy. It started as a goofy ode to nice chairs, and I'm still shocked so many of you appreciate my ideas. If you missed the GB, don't fret - vendors will offer extras, and some (like Daily Clack) also offer pre-orders.

Thanks

When it comes to this keyset, I'm just a conduit for the brilliance and support of these amazing people:

More
- To my vendors, for taking a chance on this goofy idea.
- To my crew of friends and Birch fans - you know who you are. Thank you for cheering me on throughout this entire process.
- To my wife, my collaborator on colors, designs, and in life. <3
- To my brother, my pinch-hitter on novelty tweaks.
- To manz3l, motohiro and walker, for helping render Birch.
- To tom, pwade and NoPun, who helped tremendously with kitting.

Birch for Chairity Fundraiser Event

Goals

See below for charity details.

More
With the success of GMK Birch, I've wanted to use my platform to give back to people for some time. I have a few updates on this effort.

The effort focuses on improving the availability of commonly-administered vaccines by fundraising on behalf of New Incentives. New Incentives provides conditional cash payments to families in northwest Nigeria who vaccinate their children. GiveWell rates New Incentives with very high marks, as a non-profit which uses its funds effectively to dramatically improve the lives of people. In this case, $11 can ensure a single child receives a series of vaccines which will significantly increase their odds of surviving past the age of five.

Participants

This event will run from April 30th to May 7, 2021. Participants include:

Prime Caps
Sodie Caps
Destroyer Caps
Latrialum
deagcaps
Phage Caps
Alpha Keycaps
Cannon Keys
@hectoring_mk

100% of proceeds from these sales will fund the efforts of New Incentives. I will also match all donations up to a certain level, which I'll announce once we hold the raffle.

I'm thrilled with the efforts of New Incentives, and I hope you all will join me in supporting them as well. I will share more news with you on the details of the event soon. If you're an artisan interested in collaborating then please contact me (my info can be found in the OP).

Available Artisans

See below for some available artisans.

More

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 March 2021, 15:18:16 by break »

Offline break

In-depth details on Birch for Chairity Fundraiser have been shared on r/MechanicalKeyboards. Please check it out and upvote!

Offline break

Offline break

Re: [GB] GMK Birch - R1 samples in hand
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 11:12:02 »
Birch for Chairity has wrapped, raising over $7000 for New Incentives. Thank you thank you thank you all for your support.

Now, about the keyset: good lordt that was fast. I'm staring at samples as we speak. No pictures, sorry - want to avoid crowdsourcing color matching using compressed images!