Author Topic: [IC] KAT Oblique [on hold]  (Read 21904 times)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
Re: [IC] KAT Oblique
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 15:52:00 »
Since this might end up becoming an in-stock set rather than a GB I will need try to keep the number of kits to a minimum though.

One easy way to reduce number of kits is to add accents to the mod kits.

I might well end up doing that

I don't understand why the Ortho and colverak options were removed. Keyreative only counts total kits, not moq of individual kits. Sigh.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh man, if the 40's / ortho kits are still going to be made, this is a for sure buy for me. Without that support though, it won't work for me. :-(

Ortho and Colevrak options are still there. The issue is the combined base kits (alphas+mods) kinda suck for ortho/colevrak users

I'm currently discussing with the vendors to see what they are willing to do with kitting. I'll upload revised kitting when they get back to me
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline Jyobah

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 16:28:06 »
Good luck, although I'm out of any KAT until they normalize their qc standards.
between that, GMK 2 year waits with terrible last minute communications and some awefule PBT ones good luck, choices are slim now.

Offline quasarcreator

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 10:29:03 »
I'm in for the Icon base, novelties, and potentially numpad.
Was just recently thinking about how cool the font on the old AEK boards is, and now this comes around!
Do keep us all posted, keen to jump onto it as soon as it enters group buy.
Quick question: will there be deskmats?

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 05:33:51 »
I’m in. A really cool kit would be one with the f-row sublegends for media keys, expose, brightness and similar - mix the new and old.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2021, 05:35:30 by L4ll1g470r »

Offline ESJvR

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 13:53:04 »
Looks awesome, especially like the inverse one! Is there a chance for inverse International Kit or would that not hit MOQ?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
Re: [IC] KAT Oblique [on hold]
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 13:42:42 »
Hi everyone, it's been a while since the last update.

When I launched this IC I thought many of KAT's previous QC issues had been mainly resolved. However, there were a lot of concerns raised about quality in this thread and especially in the IC form. Since launching this IC, I have also received 2 of my own KAT GB orders, and honestly the dye-sub quality of both left a lot to be desired. So for the time being I'm putting this set on hold since the last thing I want to do is disappoint people with a sub-par product.

This IC has given me some good feedback which will make its way into the next version of Oblique, whether it's in KAT or another profile. Also got lots of good movie, TV, and even one book recommendation in the IC form. Unfortunately quite a few that aren't available on Netflix here in Ireland, but I'm sure I'll be able to watch them all eventually.

In the mean time things look like they might finally start moving again with TA Origins, and I have a few other projects I'm working on which might get revealed soon too
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 September 2021, 13:45:10 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline hallu

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 29 October 2021, 17:42:36 »
Is there any potential for making this in another sculpted profile? I'm sure people would prefer a good sculpted profile in something reliable, and made soon, rather than waiting for KAT to sort out their substandard quality control  ;D

Offline azzipa

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 30 October 2021, 23:57:54 »
not great news for oblique, but count me in for ta origins!  :thumb:

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 17:11:53 »
Is there any potential for making this in another sculpted profile? I'm sure people would prefer a good sculpted profile in something reliable, and made soon, rather than waiting for KAT to sort out their substandard quality control  ;D

Yes, Oblique will definitely still happen at some point in a different profile. Will be a while perhaps since I've been super busy with work, but once we have a profile/manufacturer we're confident in I'll post another IC

Offline nickthaskater

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 10 November 2021, 01:36:37 »

Yes, Oblique will definitely still happen at some point in a different profile. Will be a while perhaps since I've been super busy with work, but once we have a profile/manufacturer we're confident in I'll post another IC
Throwing in a vote for Signature Plastics SA in PBT.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 01:23:25 »

When I launched this IC I thought many of KAT's previous QC issues had been mainly resolved. However, there were a lot of concerns raised about quality in this thread and especially in the IC form. Since launching this IC, I have also received 2 of my own KAT GB orders, and honestly the dye-sub quality of both left a lot to be desired. So for the time being I'm putting this set on hold since the last thing I want to do is disappoint people with a sub-par product.

This IC has given me some good feedback which will make its way into the next version of Oblique, whether it's in KAT or another profile. Also got lots of good movie, TV, and even one book recommendation in the IC form. Unfortunately quite a few that aren't available on Netflix here in Ireland, but I'm sure I'll be able to watch them all eventually.

In the mean time things look like they might finally start moving again with TA Origins, and I have a few other projects I'm working on which might get revealed soon too

Hey, for what it’s worth, I just received my geekark 9009 set (PBT dye sub) and I’m very happy with the results. Definitely worth considering in terms of quality for a potential oblique set.

On another note, I bought a set of XDA Oblique off mechmarket and I’m VERY happy with them - what was the issue with XDA again?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 11:58:10 »

Hey, for what it’s worth, I just received my geekark 9009 set (PBT dye sub) and I’m very happy with the results. Definitely worth considering in terms of quality for a potential oblique set.

On another note, I bought a set of XDA Oblique off mechmarket and I’m VERY happy with them - what was the issue with XDA again?

XDA were pretty bad with communication during the first GB, pretty much telling me it'll be ready in a couple weeks for like 6 months straight ;D .

Besides I don't really think there are that many XDA lovers these days; when it first launched XDA was still new and had some hype but I doubt it would sell as well second time. And I still see XDA Oblique selling on r/mm for not much above GB price, so I don't really see the point tbh

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 01:06:45 »
It's a shame about KAT. I love my XDA Oblique set, and would like to see it in a sculpted profile.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 07:17:14 »
XDA were pretty bad with communication during the first GB, pretty much telling me it'll be ready in a couple weeks for like 6 months straight ;D .

Besides I don't really think there are that many XDA lovers these days; when it first launched XDA was still new and had some hype but I doubt it would sell as well second time. And I still see XDA Oblique selling on r/mm for not much above GB price, so I don't really see the point tbh

I think a lot of the XDA bandwagon has died even if only because it’s mostly used by obscure sets, and personally, I also think the very flat surface can be off-putting for a lot of people unless you’re coming from laptops.

I suppose DSA might have more manufacturers to work with, but then again, I suppose having another uniform profile would defeat the purpose of doing a rerun. It’s a shame because I can’t think of many sculpted dyesub profiles that would translate well to Oblique :'(

I hope KAT fixes up their QC so you can run this with confidence. In the meantime, I’ll keep my eye on Cyberspace to see how that turns out.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline mwy912

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 20:26:43 »
Any updates on a new Oblique set?  I just registered to express my interest...

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 00:22:08 »
KAT is cursed
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Zetina

• El pajarraco
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 02 July 2022, 23:10:54 »
Are there any plans to continue working in this set? maybe in some other profile like DSS

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 18:38:50 »
Are there any plans to continue working in this set? maybe in some other profile like DSS

Yes, I would like to continue work on this at some point. I've been too busy with work and IRL stuff for far too long, but I will have time to get back into some keyboard stuff soon hopefully.

DSS probably wouldn't work since it's doubleshot only and new moulds are expensive, although I would like to run something in DSS in future.

I actually don't know about the best profile to continue with; I don't personally like DSA and MT3 doesn't really suit the set IMO. There are many Cherry profile manufacturers these days, but is there anything else I'm overlooking?