Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606580 times)

Offline osi

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:30:51 »
Ubuntu isn't what it used to be. I recommend people that like Ubuntu to switch to debian.

And to think I used to lead an official Ubuntu derivative distro.

Very interesting. Ubuntu feisty was one of the distros I cut my teeth on. Haven't used it much since the release of hardy. Checked out the latest release but Unity is not for me.

What flavor were you leading up? A fluxbuntu type or a suite based distro like musix?

Edit : music --> musix ... Autocorrect arggg

Welcome to geekhack
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:32:41 by osi »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:33:27 »
Nobody has said gentoo yet. That makes me sad.

If I weren't so busy hacking on code, and needing to install libraries easily in a jhbuild for it. I would be tempted to go back.

For now debian and Fedora serve me right.
I said funtoo, which is gentoo except it uses git instead of rsync. But I use Sabayon now, which is gentoo but without the hassle of installing the bare necessities.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:17:36 »

If I weren't so busy hacking on code, and needing to install libraries easily in a jhbuild for it. I would be tempted to go back.

I said funtoo, which is gentoo except it uses git instead of rsync. But I use Sabayon now, which is gentoo but without the hassle of installing the bare necessities.

Very interested in trying out Sabayon, it looks really cool. Always been to lazy to use Gentoo and have stuck with Arch, but now I'm starting to feel like I am missing out.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:17:55 »
linux mint 16 mate

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:24:10 »
Very interested in trying out Sabayon, it looks really cool. Always been to lazy to use Gentoo and have stuck with Arch, but now I'm starting to feel like I am missing out.
If you have lots of spare time, gentoo (and its derivatives) are awesome. A have a project in the works for a super light weight and pre-configured funtoo distro. Still in concept, but I hope to start real work on it over the summer.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:48:06 »
Ubuntu isn't what it used to be. I recommend people that like Ubuntu to switch to debian.

I agree that ubuntu is not what it used to be. It was my os of choice, now I am still searching for a favorite. I don't really like centos, but I work in it every day, so I am used to it.

I miss the easy to use, but no fat distros (like ubuntu when it first came out).

Looking for suggestions.
- I want a nice package manager that has relatively new versions of software (don't want to compile everything).
- simple and fast gui. No special effects to slow things down.
- I live in the terminal and browser, so those are important.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:50:00 »

I agree that ubuntu is not what it used to be. It was my os of choice, now I am still searching for a favorite. I don't really like centos, but I work in it every day, so I am used to it.

I miss the easy to use, but no fat distros (like ubuntu when it first came out).

Looking for suggestions.
- I want a nice package manager that has relatively new versions of software (don't want to compile everything).

Arch Linux sounds like what youre looking for, PM me if you have any questions about it, been using Arch for ages.
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 19:53:15 »

Looking for suggestions.

Arch Linux sounds like what youre looking for, PM me if you have any questions about it, been using Arch for ages.

Ya I have been playing with arch. I switched from it because I was having networking issues (which turned out to be hardware), so I should switch back to it. It seemed pretty good in the short time I was playing with it.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:48:40 »

Very interesting. Ubuntu feisty was one of the distros I cut my teeth on. Haven't used it much since the release of hardy. Checked out the latest release but Unity is not for me.

What flavor were you leading up? A fluxbuntu type or a suite based distro like musix?

Welcome to geekhack

Ubuntu Studio. It is still around but I was too busy at work when I stepped down and then moved on to lower level projects.

http://ubuntustudio.org/tour/
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline osi

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:54:46 »

Looking for suggestions.

Ya I have been playing with arch. I switched from it because I was having networking issues (which turned out to be hardware), so I should switch back to it. It seemed pretty good in the short time I was playing with it.

Arch reccomendation seconded for you. Will give you power tune the distro to your liking, good documentation and package management via pacman.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 20:59:51 »
Debian is a very good alternative to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has become painfully "corporate" and has malware/spyware enabled out of the box. You can turn these tracking features off if you want. I choose to just use another OS.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:04:07 »
Using ubuntu here but I don't really use it much. Just have it running on a Raspberry Pi so I can push my git repo's to it once a week as a backup.  Works great for that purpose.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:06:30 »
I didn't know that they had a Pi version of Ubuntu, or is it just for Arm? Why not use Raspbian?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:06:37 »
Debian is a very good alternative to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has become painfully "corporate" and has malware/spyware enabled out of the box. You can turn these tracking features off if you want. I choose to just use another OS.

+1. Debian is a classic and still strong for a reason.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline osi

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:22:08 »

Welcome to geekhack

Ubuntu Studio. It is still around but I was too busy at work when I stepped down and then moved on to lower level projects.

It is indeed still around. Just grabbed a fresh (to me) copy of the iso for the stockpile

Offline luisbg

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:25:43 »

Welcome to geekhack

It is indeed still around. Just grabbed a fresh (to me) copy of the iso for the stockpile

Awesome  :thumb:

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 21:27:59 »
I didn't know that they had a Pi version of Ubuntu, or is it just for Arm? Why not use Raspbian?

You're right, I must have been thinking of when I had my microserver. It is running Raspbian, derp.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 08:11:14 »

You might be disappointed though. I tried Sabayon last year, but it didn't work out at all. After each reboot, something else didn't work; I had never seen X.Org that broken.

Offline osi

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 08:39:10 »

Gentoo is on my list of distros to try. The reason it has not been a priority for me is that is just doesn't seem like the half of a microsecond gained in execution time is worth all of the fuss of compiling everything. Years ago, an FTP server was compromised that was running CentOS that our group maintained. The breach was probably due to a poor configuration and not the core operating system itself. A co-worker thought it would be a good idea to put a hardened gentoo install on the box instead. I appreciate the nod towards security but the initial compile took over 2 days to complete.

Granted, a Gentoo install can be done more traditionally to speed up the process. But as we all know, time = money, and in any production environment, having a 2 day downtime could impact your organization dramatically.

Seems more like a distro for tinkerers--which a lot of us are here :D

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:02:40 »
my poweredge runs centOS at home.  i tried to make it a LAMP server but that didnt work at all.  i honestly think i will throw Microsoft Server 2008 R2 on it this weekend. sorry i dont think any of you wanted to hear that.

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:14:43 »
my poweredge runs centOS at home.  i tried to make it a LAMP server but that didnt work at all.  i honestly think i will throw Microsoft Server 2008 R2 on it this weekend. sorry i dont think any of you wanted to hear that.

The trick with setting up a lamp stack is that you have to do it all together. If you just install all the components it won't work. You have to setup apache, php and mysql together at the same time otherwise they don't actually know about each other. It is annoying and has bit me in the @55 before.

If you want to give it another go I can look at my chef recipe and give you the steps.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:53:58 »
I'm back on Xubuntu right now. CentOS is solid, but I need something a bit more on the bleeding edge, package-wise

Offline gcb

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:02:54 »
Debian whenever i can. leave me with my old and stable packages. and get out of my lawn!

RH at work. yuck.

wife's on ubuntu.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:06:23 »
Gentoo is on my list of distros to try. The reason it has not been a priority for me is that is just doesn't seem like the half of a microsecond gained in execution time is worth all of the fuss of compiling everything. Years ago, an FTP server was compromised that was running CentOS that our group maintained. The breach was probably due to a poor configuration and not the core operating system itself. A co-worker thought it would be a good idea to put a hardened gentoo install on the box instead. I appreciate the nod towards security but the initial compile took over 2 days to complete.

Granted, a Gentoo install can be done more traditionally to speed up the process. But as we all know, time = money, and in any production environment, having a 2 day downtime could impact your organization dramatically.

Seems more like a distro for tinkerers--which a lot of us are here :D

You got that right. It is for tinkerers.

Not only for performance gains, which with today's cpu/memory/ssd isn't much. It is more because you can tinker with the flags everything in your machine is compiled with. You can overlay anything you want. Build a system from scratch with hand-picked components.

I personally like the idea of having all the source code that runs my machine easily available. If you want to tinker with any component, you can just patch against the gentoo package and done.
Most packages have patches to make them software play nice with the system, so the package system is designed to patch -> compile -> run.
Tinker to the most minute detail. It is amazing.

That said, it is time consuming. And a rathole. Just like tweeking your keyboard. Sometimes you just need something you can plug and go. For that you have debian, Ubuntu or Fedora.

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:15:40 »
I'm using the latest stable version of Ubuntu (Trusty whatever... 14.04) and it is superb as a Desktop OS.

As for my servers, I run all CentOS release 5.9 (Final).

Most importantly on my servers I run Atomic Secured Linux:

http://www.atomicorp.com/products/asl.html

ASL is a Unified Threat Manager that hardens both your web applications and operating system in addition to incorporating numerous proprietary security functions and methodologies.

I would not put a linux box on the internet without it.  Period.

Offline iri

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 05:40:12 »
gentoo is on my list of repositories that i tried and abandoned forever.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #226 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 06:05:19 »
in addition to incorporating numerous proprietary security functions and methodologies
What's that? Backdoors?

Offline godly_music

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:17:21 »
For a server, maybe. I don't see the point of hardening or antivirus for a desktop box, with how unattractive Linux is as a target to begin with. I've been running Win 7 for years with no protection other than a router's firewall and intelligent browsing habits.

Offline jmolino

« Reply #228 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:45:33 »
in addition to incorporating numerous proprietary security functions and methodologies
What's that? Backdoors?

I'm not sure exactly which of their feature(s) are "proprietary" - and yes - it is a closed source system (....maybe for a security product that isn't a bad thing...).  But the implication is valid: "who can we trust?"!

It's hard nowadays to trust anybody in light of the whole PRISM/NSA thing.  Working in the IT industry...by just using any operating system, website, even open-source software (see Canonical's post: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canonical-We-Have-Root-Trust-Us-294538.shtml we make decisions about who to trust every day. 

Regarding Atomicorp.. seems they are pretty stand-up: http://www.atomicorp.com/company/about-us.html

Personally, I am thankful to have this software protect my servers after seeing just how many (in the *hundreds*) of hack attempts occur every day to each one of my servers!  (And yes this product is for servers primarily).

Offline osi

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:53:55 »
For a server, maybe. I don't see the point of hardening or antivirus for a desktop box, with how unattractive Linux is as a target to begin with. I've been running Win 7 for years with no protection other than a router's firewall and intelligent browsing habits.

I too live dangerously on my dedicated win7 box at home, no AV. It's just a gaming rig though.

I don't recommend other users to run that way however. :D

Offline Tetsuo

• GERMAN ENGINEERING
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 13:43:20 »
I just install Gentoo on everything.

Offline Altis

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 01:02:53 »
Started using Elementary OS Luna recently on a 6 year old Dell laptop that I resurrected from the grave. It's quite visually appealing and worked well right out of the gates. Hard pressed to bother with other distros at the moment, other than Slacko Puppy when running from USB drive.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 07:52:55 »
I messed up my windows 8.1 boot partition pretty bad yesterday so I've been running Linux Mint 16 from a flash drive all day while I wait for the Windows 8.1 ISO to download. I'm super impressed with it. Some of the minor annoyances I had with previous versions of mint and ubuntu are gone and I'm really enjoying it!

I'd make the switch if I didn't need to be on Windows for some of my university stuff... And steam obviously :cool:. When I build my new PC at the end of the year I'll get a dual boot going with one flavour or another.
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 08:05:45 »
I messed up my windows 8.1 boot partition pretty bad yesterday so I've been running Linux Mint 16 from a flash drive all day while I wait for the Windows 8.1 ISO to download. I'm super impressed with it. Some of the minor annoyances I had with previous versions of mint and ubuntu are gone and I'm really enjoying it!

I'd make the switch if I didn't need to be on Windows for some of my university stuff... And steam obviously :cool:. When I build my new PC at the end of the year I'll get a dual boot going with one flavour or another.

There is steam for linux now.

Offline D01

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 08:22:44 »
If, and that's a big if, I was going to use Linux I would be on LMDE 201403.  With MATE desktop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #235 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:09:08 »

There is, but many games don't run, and those that do don't always run as well. And if you're using an AMD card, you might as well not try.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:29:19 »

There is, but many games don't run, and those that do don't always run as well. And if you're using an AMD card, you might as well not try.

that sucks.  thanks for the knowledge...

Offline osi

« Reply #237 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:46:06 »
Windows is still king in proprietary graphics performance but the gap is closing. AMD setups can get a little tricky especially if you have an APU series. The trick is to blacklist the correct modules at boot.

Also don't use xinerama as it 3D is not supported.  You're better off with xrandr anyway imo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #238 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:21:42 »
[...] so I've been running Linux Mint 16 from a flash drive all day [...]

Something you can't readily do with Windows.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gcb

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 02:53:11 »
If, and that's a big if, I was going to use Linux I would be on LMDE 201403.  With MATE desktop.

mate is overrated.

gnome was undermined a long time ago when i bet apple put moles in the project to trhow away all the good design and UI goals, and replace it with OS9 clones.  ...than the same happened with gnome 3 and osx... anyway, conspiracy-theory-jokes aside, mate does not solve the problem, they only go back to the previous OS9 clone trolling.

the day you use a tiling window manager or any other non-1970 desktop/windows concept... you will be sold.

Offline welsinki

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 03:32:11 »
 :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2019, 12:51:35 by welsinki »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 08:25:53 »

mate is overrated.

gnome was undermined a long time ago when i bet apple put moles in the project to trhow away all the good design and UI goals, and replace it with OS9 clones.  ...than the same happened with gnome 3 and osx... anyway, conspiracy-theory-jokes aside, mate does not solve the problem, they only go back to the previous OS9 clone trolling.

the day you use a tiling window manager or any other non-1970 desktop/windows concept... you will be sold.

This is why I love the Unity desktop. It took the best ideas of a tiling window manager and added smart design decisions to make it work more intuitively for a mainstream audience.

Other than the blot of an engine it runs on. If you are running older hardware it runs real slow.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 10:51:36 »

mate is overrated.

Maybe this explains why I like MATE...I was always a big fan of OS9/8/7/6. Never felt the same way about OSX...

Tiling window managers just don't do it for me. I find that having windows behave less like physical objects makes the interface less intuitive and creates a feeling of disempowerment. Tried Unity also and made it about an hour before I decided that I just couldn't deal with it anymore.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline jmolino

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:40:01 »
This is why I love the Unity desktop. It took the best ideas of a tiling window manager and added smart design decisions to make it work more intuitively for a mainstream audience.

Can you elaborate a bit on how Unity uses ideas from tiling WMs?  Do you mean the snapping and Super/arrow hotkeys?

I been playing with Xmonad for a few days - and it seems that it is nothing like Unity at all...

(BTW - I also tried the new Gnome desktop as well, but prefer Unity...)

Offline gcb

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 00:54:34 »
Tiling window managers just don't do it for me. I find that having windows behave less like physical objects makes the interface less intuitive and creates a feeling of disempowerment. Tried Unity also and made it about an hour before I decided that I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

Yeah, osx is total garbage.

But trust me on this one. Tiling window managers are like touch-typing.

Right now you are like someone typing with two indexes fingers. of course you are going to feel limited and threatened by a non-staggered keyboard.... but once you learn to touch type you will love that non-staggered board :)

it is the same with window managers. and text editors. :)  ...maybe it was because i was already using vim's and screen's windows that i like tiling window managers so much... o well. just trust me that it is very similar to the touch typing experience. you feel safe not trying it... but after you get the hang of it, you keep questioning yourself how you lived without every time you see someone that can't.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 01:00:22 »
It's a shame BumpTop never really saw the light of day.

Gotta wonder what Google has been doing with it all these years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline osi

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 08:18:30 »
It's a shame BumpTop never really saw the light of day.

Gotta wonder what Google has been doing with it all these years.

They may have scooped it up to avoid future competition. See threat, buy threat, kill threat, no threat :D

Offline osi

« Reply #247 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 08:22:14 »

Yeah, osx is total garbage.

But trust me on this one. Tiling window managers are like touch-typing.

Right now you are like someone typing with two indexes fingers. of course you are going to feel limited and threatened by a non-staggered keyboard.... but once you learn to touch type you will love that non-staggered board :)

it is the same with window managers. and text editors. :)  ...maybe it was because i was already using vim's and screen's windows that i like tiling window managers so much... o well. just trust me that it is very similar to the touch typing experience. you feel safe not trying it... but after you get the hang of it, you keep questioning yourself how you lived without every time you see someone that can't.

Tiling WMs are really great. Currently I am using i3 but there are others out there. The configs can be tailored to make it perform and behave exactly as desired.

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:22:01 »
Awesome WM master race reporting in. xmonad and bspwm are awesome too.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 05:16:24 »
I've been using i3 for over a year now, and I love it.

However, I do miss having a set amount of workspaces that I can just flit through.
That's kinda why I miss WMFS 1 so much.

i3 with WMFS 1's  panel would be the bee's knees.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.