Author Topic: Is the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid worth it?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Inception

Is the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid worth it?
« on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 00:18:13 »
My question is obvious and I don't think I need to restate it... But I will anyways. I am planning on buying a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry MX Blue switches from B&H for $85 - My question is, at this point is the keyboard really worth so much? It seems the price has gone up from what it was originally 2 years ago ($69 from what I have seen, honestly I've never owned a mechanical keyboard before and this will be my first). If you wonder why I don't just get the Rapid-I it is simply because I find backlighting blatantly annoying, I simply dislike it... So my question is now... To buy or not to buy?
Edit: My apologies, I have seemed to have placed this in the wrong forum, I'd like to ask that it please be moved to the correct forum "keyboards". My apologies once again as I didn't realize that forum existed before I had posted this here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 00:23:06 by Inception »
-CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Cherry MX Blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Is the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 18:31:44 »
Very nice keyboard - simple, reliable, compatible with most key sets.

I have a QFR with MX blacks, and a QFS with MX greens (QFS basically a QFR with front-printed keycaps).

At one stage it was the most highly recommended keyboard around (but has since been supplanted by the likes of Poker, CODE and KUL).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Inception

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 20:16:47 »
How long do they normally last? I'm new to mechanical keyboards and lifespan is really what I've been concerned about lately. Also, is there anything I should know before purchasing one?
P.S. I am either going to buy this one or the Das Keyboard Model S... I don't need the new model 4.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:13:47 by Inception »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:44:42 »
I've had mine for more than 2 years, although granted I have not been using it exclusively all that time.  Not a single fault with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Inception

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 22:07:55 »
How do you think it'd fare being used about 8-9 hours a day @100+wpm? Also should I get it or the Das Model S?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2015, 22:18:25 by Inception »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 05:51:29 »
I really don't know.

And for that matter how would any keyboard go being used that much.

At least the QFR is less expensive than most keyboards :)

The stock keycaps would wear through pretty quickly though, so you'd want to replace them with some decent PBT ones - hence the comment about QFR being a standard layout.

Offline Inception

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 08:16:26 »
Could you recommend me some keycaps to replace the stock with? I won't be doing this right away but I'd like to know ahead of time.
Edit: Would this discussion be more fit for the "keycaps" forum?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 14:28:58 by Inception »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 17:14:08 »
Depends how much you want to spend, and what quality keycaps you want.

Given how much you anticipate using the keyboard, PBT is probably favoured over ABS - ABS will shine quite readily.  Although maybe you like shiny keycaps? :p

Vortex PBT are quite cheap, but acceptable quality.  Ducky make some nice PBT sets, but they are a bit more expensive and sometimes difficult to get hold of.

Offline Inception

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 17:40:10 »
Would these work? (Though I know the numpad parts would go to waste :P)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:42:54 »
Those will be fine :)

Offline Inception

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 20:43:22 »
I've decided to just go all out and say "Screw it." and I just bought a Classic Black Unicomp keyboard... It'll be here soon. It's gonna be a hell of a ride getting used to this thing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 20:48:15 by Inception »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 21:28:03 »
Yay for buckling spring!  (Typed on one of my SSKs.)

Can't go wrong :D

Offline Inception

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 21:35:29 »
Yup, my friend recommended it to me as soon as I brought up the fact that I was looking to buy a mechanical keyboard... He just told me "Don't ask questions, Google around, and just buy it." So I did just that, he's been reliable with things like this in the past so I'm trusting him here!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 22:34:59 »
Once you get the Unicomp, you might find yourself wondering what one of the original IBM Model M keyboards was like.

Then you will hear about the Model F ;)

Offline Inception

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 22:56:51 »
Ahhh I see... I sorta kinda look forward to that?  :)) Also, do you think I made the right decision getting the Classic and not the Ultra Classic? I was unsure of what the difference really was.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 23:04:31 »
They're pretty good.  Had a controller problem with one though.  Replacement boards are available on the forums.  They were $54 new including shipping for a bit, so I think $85 is high. 

Offline Inception

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 23:05:41 »
They're pretty good.  Had a controller problem with one though.  Replacement boards are available on the forums.  They were $54 new including shipping for a bit, so I think $85 is high.
Might want to read back on what this conversation has really become... I think my question about the QuickFire Rapid has already been answered.
Also edit: Excuse me, I made a mistake, I didn't buy the Classic I bought the Ultra Classic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 23:07:16 by Inception »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 23:09:13 »
Whoops.  Went with a BS.  :P

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 06:47:02 »
Whoops.  Went with a BS.  :P

LoL - Good  boy!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 09:47:27 »
I've decided to just go all out and say "Screw it." and I just bought a Classic Black Unicomp keyboard... It'll be here soon. It's gonna be a hell of a ride getting used to this thing.

Did you Massdrop this?

Offline Inception

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:12:16 »
Did you Massdrop this?
Massdrop? Oh, sorry, no. I bought it through Unicomp's website.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:22:37 by Inception »

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 12:27:30 »
Have a QFS.  It's pretty good quality for what it is.  I recommend buying used from the classifieds for around $50-60, but honestly would not be upset paying $80 for another one.

Except I have two, and many many many many other keyboards.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline burn1nsun

• My stupid YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 13:22:31 »
Wouldn't really say it is because of the keycaps, for a little more you can get a poker 2/3 but its your money not mine.
HHKB Pro 2 l Pok3r Gateron Blacks

Offline Inception

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:08:36 »
The Unicomp keyboard arrived today (Yesterday night actually)... In extremely bad condition. I am not placing the blame on Unicomp on this one. The guy who delivers stuff around here speeds and is reckless with his driving. I am genuinely PO'd at this guy now, I've returned the product. I honestly think it would be a good product if it weren't for this damn delivery guy. :( I returned the product and I am going out today to a place out of town to buy myself a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (I saw them just the other day for about $75 in Cherry MX Browns)
Edit: I will be filing a complaint about this delivery guy, I should have done so last month when he delivered my boogie board broken in half.
Also... Did I mention how amazing CoolerMaster's support is?
I asked the question because I realized they were out of stock in alot of places...
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:19:12 by Inception »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 05:05:25 »
CM support has generally been good, from all reports.

And Carter and Rajiv were very active here once upon a time, although I don't recall hearing from either of them for some time.

Offline Inception

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 23:47:20 »
A follow up:
It's been a few days now and I have not yet bought a new keyboard (I came into the local store I had seen all of the CM Storm QuickFire Rapids with MX Browns and I attempted to purchase one, upon trying they told me that earlier that week somebody had come in and put every one of them on layaway and that they weren't supposed to still be on the shelf... Just my luck.), I have filed a complaint about the delivery man to my local UPS service... I'm not sure what is happening as they won't give me any information, but all I know is that there is a lady delivering the packages from UPS in my area now. I think that I am going to try my luck with another Unicomp, the Unicomp Ultra Classic White USB version... I have a few questions however: Having never felt an actual IBM Model M before, will the keyboard feel cheap in terms of the plastic like many say it does "compared to the Model M"? Is it true that the steel backplate is gone in Unicomps? (I have heard that it is completely gone and I have also heard that they are using a lower quality, cheaper, and thinner backplate now, so I am not sure what to believe really)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 05:58:54 »
Not having tried a Unicomp, I can only offer conjecture until someone with real experience can chime in.

The plastic is a bit thinner, but not such as you'd notice it in daily usage.

The plate I also understand is thinner.  Really old IBM Model M had thick plates, later IBM Model M had slightly thinner plates.

Something I do have experience, albeit limited, of is keycaps.  Unicomp are occasionally creative with their legend positioning and consistency, in contradistinction to IBM legends that were 100% spot on every time.

But really for most purposes a Unicomp should be fine.

Offline Inception

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 08:35:29 »
Great, I actually had considered an original Model M a while ago, however I realized that it wouldn't fit in my desk's tray as the rubber dome I have barely does besides my mouse pad...