Author Topic: Looking for a guide to do a flipped ergodox.  (Read 2124 times)

Offline slickmamba

Looking for a guide to do a flipped ergodox.
« on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:38:07 »
Hey guys, I'm thinking about ordering the ergodox on massdrop and was wondering if anyone has flipped the teensy and I/O expander between the hands.  I'd like to have the left hand useable as a gamepad of sorts. 

From what I have read, you need to solder the teensy board inverted on the left hand, which makes the button inaccessible? Or is it just on the back.  I would need a way to access the button the board from the case as well. 

Any help would be awesome!
Hi :)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: Looking for a guide to do a flipped ergodox.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 17:53:32 »
Heh, planning the exact same thing. I will only need the left hand, loosely planning to flip the Teensy, should be able to get to the button w/ a toothpick or drill a hole into the PCB (if there are no traces.). Putting the Teensy underneath and relayering the case may be possible too, we shall see. Meanwhile, if anyone has some experience w/ this, please chime in.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:33:27 »
You can just add your own button for 'reset' and wire it up. Or if you want you can do the reset function in the firmware and use whatever keyboard key you want for it.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:33:56 »
I am mostly confused about where and what orientation to solder the components. 

Can you just solder it normally(Teensy on the right, IO on the left), and then solder the switches themselves on the respective backs, essentially flipping them?  In that case I would need to have two of the middle layer of cases from both side, or a custom cut one to have room for the USB and to access the teensy board.
Hi :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 04:20:14 »
IIRC you need to do everything like normally, but mirrored... and change a few things in the firmware.