Author Topic: Model M custom keycap question... Are Round 4 keycaps BS compatible  (Read 2900 times)

Offline CampbellSoup

Hi,

I am pretty new to the board but have been reading on and off for over a year. 

I currently have a customizer from Unicomp and two IBM model Ms (one from 88 and one from 93).  The customizer has single piece keys and the model Ms have two piece.  I am hoping to eventually change some of the keycaps on one of the model Ms and I have some questions I hope you lovely folks could answer.

It should be said that I know that Unicomp sells blank and labeled keycaps that are model M compatible. 
My two questions are:

1) Are the Round 4 keycaps from deskthority compatible with the IBM Model M?
2) Is there anywhere or anyone that sells legends for the two piece keys?  Do they come in different colors?

I will really appreciate any information or advice :)

Thanks

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Model M custom keycap question... Are Round 4 keycaps BS compatible
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 23:38:10 »
1.) round4 (which is also happening on GH) keycaps are for cherry MX (or cherry MY and presumably M7, though those are pretty rare) not buckling spring. Although they can be modified to fit, I don't think I'd recommend it, as it requires destroying an otherwise good keycap.

2.) Try unicomp. They have other colours available: http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons

Offline Cynez

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 12:57:39 »
So those PCkeyboard.com keys fit the Model M?  I found a Model M in my closet that I got from a computer lab in college and wanted to replace all the keys since they're worn/broken/disgusting.
KBT Race w/ Reds | HHKB Pro 2 | KBC Poker w/ Reds | IBM Model M '93 | Noppoo Mini w/ Reds | Filco Majestouch 2 w/ Browns

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 23:29:14 »
So those PCkeyboard.com keys fit the Model M?  I found a Model M in my closet that I got from a computer lab in college and wanted to replace all the keys since they're worn/broken/disgusting.
Yes, Pckeyboard.com is the domain owned by unicomp. It's pretty much their storefront. Unicomp took over production from Lexmark in the '90s. I have used unicomp keys to replace lost ones on my model M.