Author Topic: Hi geekhack! It's the whizzard!  (Read 6447 times)

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
Hi geekhack! It's the whizzard!
« on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 22:10:02 »
Hey guys, whizzard here!   :thumb:

Figured I would finally post a little thread about myself in the new members section.  I have always liked tinkering and modification of electronics and almost everything.  I found geekhack by chance after figuring out that there was such a difference between regular keyboards and mech keyboards.

I used to use a Dell keyboard from the 90s because it felt better.  It looked like crap, but there was something about it that made it much better for PC gaming.  Little did I know it was because I was using a mechanical, and compared to the cheapo keyboards that you can get for 2 dollars a piece just don't feel as good.

So after watching a Youtube review on Das Keyboards, I took the leap into the mechanical world and haven't looked back.  I had fun replacing keys and remapping the board, and somewhere in there I found this site.  Finding geekhack forums was like finding a diamond in the rough, and there is so much cool stuff here that you can't find anywhere else.  I took another leap and got in on the Octagon group buy, and finally got it put together, even did a review/build log (that can be found on the bottom of this post).  Now I am getting a little obsessed with the artisan keys, and can't wait to start a collection.  The clacks seem a little too pricey, but the BroCaps are what I am going to really try for.  I think they look great and the vendor seems very fair,  focusing on trying to make it possible for everyone to have a chance at getting a cap.  So no matter how long I need to wait I am sure I will get my hands on one sometime.  I gave my Das Keyboard to my friend, I am hoping I can get him hooked on this hobby too.. and he loves the Das.

A little about my computer background... I have been a PC user since the early 90s,  and have had a few jobs in the PC repair and diagnostic field.. such as building and repairing computers.  I figured out eventually that my favorite area to work in the PC computer universe was in 3D.  I am a 3D artist..  I use many tools but my most used are Maya and Zbrush.  I love 3D work because you can make anything you imagine and there are so many fun fields that knowing how to do 3D graphics and art can open up.  I am currently working on an advertisement that has taken me a few months but I am on the home stretch and it looks great so far.  I am also a small business owner (non tech related) and that helps me fund all these little hobbies.

So if anyone here wants or needs any 3D modeling or graphics work let me know, I would love to trade my skills or just help people out here on geekhack.  I can tell by how much I enjoy browsing these forums and learning that I will be part of this community for a while, and I want to get a reputation that reflects on me.  I am not greedy, and enjoy helping others, and do what I can to help others because I know that I have many questions and a lot to learn.  Even though I would do despicable things right now for a single Bro Cap, I understand that in the end the way I conduct myself and treat people will be what really matters here.

I have quite a lot of hobbies and interests like most people here do.  I love model making (physical models like model airplanes), electronics work, flight simulation (one day I want to learn to fly for real), fixing and modding retro NES systems all the way to raspberry pi, audio video production, and plenty of non-geeky related hobbies.  I am a fan of technology, but useful technology, I don't buy every new thing on the market or anything I don't think I will get a lot of use out of.  That is one reason keyboards are so fun and a great value.  I am using it all the time including RIGHT NOW!  :D

So that's my intro, can't wait to meet all of you, and I hope I can be a great member of this community.  I also have a really exciting project for this community in the future, so keep an eye out for that!  So that's about it for now, at least anyone interested will know where I am coming from.  Feel free to message me anytime for anything at all, and I will see you around!

-whizzard

Link to my Octagon custom keyboard GB build / review / guide made for geekhack:

Octagon Build and Review Click HERE
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 22:41:14 by whizzard »

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Re: Hi geekhack! It's the whizzard!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 02:16:44 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

It seems like you have a good set of skills for hanging out here, I'm sure you will fit in very well!

Cool to hear you're into flight simming, I am as well. I love my joystick and yoke setup.  :thumb:

Have you tried TrackIR yet? It really added a whole new dimension to my simming.

What boards do you have in your collection so far?

You could post that review in the reviews subforum, I'm sure a bunch of people would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Octagon!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 09:01:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack...
If you need help with something feel free to PM me!

Can you tell us more about the NES modding?
Also, can you do CAD stuff?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:54:54 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

It seems like you have a good set of skills for hanging out here, I'm sure you will fit in very well!

Cool to hear you're into flight simming, I am as well. I love my joystick and yoke setup.  :thumb:

Have you tried TrackIR yet? It really added a whole new dimension to my simming.

You could post that review in the reviews subforum, I'm sure a bunch of people would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Octagon!

A moderator smartly moved my review to the appropriate forum (its already there).  I love flight simming too... have a decent little modest setup.  I have the X52 and a few Saitek instruments.  I also have TrackIR... and you are right, it makes a HUGE difference.  One of those accessories that you don't think will be a big difference but it really is.  I like FSX, X-Plane, and for combat Warthunder.  What do you play?  I guess the Oculus Rift is great for these too, like TrackIR on steroids, but it is pricey and I would rather wait for a fully developed product before trying it out.

I am really new to the keyboard modding stuff, but got hooked quick.  I only have the Octagon right now, and I gave my Das Pro 4 to a good friend, trying to get him into it.  So right now just have the Octagon and a bunch of random keys.  I am sure my collection will grow, because I really liked putting it together.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:02:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack...
If you need help with something feel free to PM me!

Can you tell us more about the NES modding?
Also, can you do CAD stuff?

With the NES modding, I really focus on the NES-101 which is the small toploader model that came out later in the NES lifespan.  I like it because it is small, is a licensed Nintendo unit, and is easy to fix and mod.  It also plays all regions of Nintendo games (imports).  I find broken or cheap ones on eBay from time to time and fix them as well as do my modifications.

I "modify" the NES 101 because it  only has the very old school RF adapter.. (the little Channel 3 Coaxial thing)... so the picture quality suffers.  With some cheap parts, you can mod it to have RCA output and it takes the "jailbars" out as well as making the picture much clearer.  A lot of broken NES just have a busted capacitor and can be fixed for less than a few dollars in parts.  It is fun to mod because it is a simple device compared to modern devices, and retro gaming is popular.  It was good desoldering and soldering practice as well for when I built my keyboard.  I also like airbrushing them and doing custom paint jobs to spice them up a bit.  I am not a big fan of modding the original NES, just a preference.

edit: just remembered I made a video for selling a modded NES on ebay, shows what I usually do right here.

I am mainly a Maya and Zbrush artist / animator, but I use many 3D tools and they are usually similar.  Once you have the skillset for one it carries over to most other programs.  I have never had a need to do CAD but I am sure that I could do it without much trouble, and will definitely try it at some point I am sure... just haven't had the need for it yet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:10:13 by whizzard »

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:07:59 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

A moderator smartly moved my review to the appropriate forum (its already there).  I love flight simming too... have a decent little modest setup.  I have the X52 and a few Saitek instruments.  I also have TrackIR... and you are right, it makes a HUGE difference.  One of those accessories that you don't think will be a big difference but it really is.  I like FSX, X-Plane, and for combat Warthunder.  What do you play?  I guess the Oculus Rift is great for these too, like TrackIR on steroids, but it is pricey and I would rather wait for a fully developed product before trying it out.

I am really new to the keyboard modding stuff, but got hooked quick.  I only have the Octagon right now, and I gave my Das Pro 4 to a good friend, trying to get him into it.  So right now just have the Octagon and a bunch of random keys.  I am sure my collection will grow, because I really liked putting it together.

I use CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a TrackIR5. I also have a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. TIR5 plus a triple screen setup is really immersive. I'm waiting for a retail version of the Oculus before I consider getting one.

I play DCS, FSX, Falcon 4.0, a few others. DCS is my favourite out of all of them.

You picked a really nice board to put together! I've been interested in trying a 75% layout, it seems like a good inbetween of 60% and TKL.

Any boards you have an eye on for your next purchase?

Currently, I'm drooling over Model F 107's. I think my next will be a custom 60% build though.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will answer them to the best of my ability.  :thumb:

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:13:24 »
I have been thinking of giving DCS a good try sometime... what kinds of things do you do in that game?  Is it just a sim or do you blow crap up?

I kind of need the 75% because there are a few keys that I use in 3D that most people don't that use 60% boards.  So I probably won't go smaller for everyday use.  I really liked the quality of the product from ducky, and might just grab his next GB.. but maybe I will try another vendor if I see something that looks good for what I do.

I am jealous of your triple screen!!   :p

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:25:42 »
I have been thinking of giving DCS a good try sometime... what kinds of things do you do in that game?  Is it just a sim or do you blow crap up?

I kind of need the 75% because there are a few keys that I use in 3D that most people don't that use 60% boards.  So I probably won't go smaller for everyday use.  I really liked the quality of the product from ducky, and might just grab his next GB.. but maybe I will try another vendor if I see something that looks good for what I do.

I am jealous of your triple screen!!   :p

It's a full-out sim, but it has campaigns and missions. You can write your own scenarios/missions/campaigns as well. Alot of aircraft to pick from too. Most of the aircraft have fully interactive cockpits.

The level of aircraft detail is unsurpassed, IMO. The A10C Warthog simulation has a 700 page flight manual.. the manual is basically the real manual. I think the aircraft are something like 95% simulated (can't remember exactly), the parts that aren't simulated are classified. The company who makes DCS programs the simulations for the U.S. military, and these are almost the same. Just the classified stuff removed I believe.

It takes crazy amounts of dedications to learn how to fly them, but it's doable. Takes a few months. I haven't had much time to play lately though, so I'm probably going to have to re-learn some things. Good thing I take my own notes of the various procedures and controls.  :))

To put the realism into perspective, starting the aircraft takes about 15 minutes or so depending on your skill. You need to start the aircraft and systems properly, radio ATC for permission and such, and follow proper takeoff procedures.

I see in your original post, you want to collect Bros. They're quite awesome, I have two and just won a third yesterday. The level of detail and craftsmanship is great, you have to see one in person to really appreciate it. Same goes for clacks, great craftsmanship.

Thanks.  :p Once I went triple-screen, I couldn't go back. It's great for everything.

Boards:

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 11:37:38 »
Yes, I totally understand the 15 minute start up checklist... my friend makes fun of me for enjoying things like that.  It is just the total realism that immerses me into the simulator.  Sometimes I just feel like fighting in a fast more arcade style, so I fire up Warthunder for that.  I love WWII aircraft (Spitfires are my favorite) so I can just jump in and get into a dogfight.  DCS looks great, I have been working on a 3D project a lot lately so no time to sim anything... always look forward to pulling out my piloting setup.  I know the Warthog is known as their best aircraft.. they even make peripherals and joysticks just for that airplane (well, modeled to look just like it anyhow).. when I have more time to play games and feel like a challenge I will try it out.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:22:14 »
Welcome to GH!

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline jawad83

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:48:11 »
hey man my name is jay and im neck deep in 3d printing and learning how to graphic design.anyway working on keycaps for these boards. I can do fully custom ones, cutting a head or emblem and attaching it to a cherry mx compatible inner but i can't seem to get the designing part down good enough to create the oem replacements. so if it sounds like we could help each other out hit me back thanks

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:27:41 »
hey man my name is jay and im neck deep in 3d printing and learning how to graphic design.anyway working on keycaps for these boards. I can do fully custom ones, cutting a head or emblem and attaching it to a cherry mx compatible inner but i can't seem to get the designing part down good enough to create the oem replacements. so if it sounds like we could help each other out hit me back thanks

Sure man, what program or programs do you use?  I can give them a look.  Like most 3D artists and animators, I use many programs...  its like how a mechanic can't just use one tool, we can't just use one app... even though I am most experienced in Maya and Zbrush (my avatar lol).    So you kinda get the language and layout of most applications pretty quick.  For instance for a single project I may use 5 or more applications to get the final product.  I don't have a 3D printer, but just let me know the name of the program that you are having trouble with and I will take a look.

Offline jawad83

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:21:47 »
hey man awesome sounds great, I am using meshmixer and attempting to play with blender. hopefully i can afford z brush soon. my issue isnt a program but how to design the pitches and cascade effect for keycaps on my board. I am getting the hang of it now if i have a more specific question i will hit you up for sure thanks again

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:32:01 »
No problem... I get what you mean I think.  Witch the caps, there are all slightly different measurements for each row 1 2 3 and 4.  I think keycap makers (for novelty) artisan purposes I would guess they use row 4, but just a guess.   There should be a schematic of keycaps somewhere if you google it.  Keycaps shouldn't be too tough as far as height and angle, I think modeling the inside of the key so that it fits properly on a switch would be more problematic for 3D printing purposes due to the size of the object.

I LOVE Zbrush... it is my favorite 3D tool.  There is a steep learning curve, because it doesn't function quite like anything else, but once you have it its a blast.  If you don't know what it does, it is basically a 3D sculpting program that has incredible versatility, and does so much for you, zremesher alone would be worth it.  If you image search you can see some of the amazing sculpts that are out there.  It is used a ton in gaming and cinema to make your favorite characters and other doo-hickeys.  Bar none the best organic 3D production tool.  It also pairs up great with Maya, which is great for machinery and animation... basically everything else you can think of.

If I get my hands on a 3D printer one of the first things I am going to try is making something for my keyboard... thats for sure!  I am going to take a peek at the tools you mentioned out of curiosity.  I have played with blender, but meshmixer is new to me.

Offline jawad83

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:58:16 »
awesome well if you want one i would strongly advise to building your own or buying a davinci 1.0 and hacking it or like i did put an azteeg x3 in it lol i just cant justify spending 5k on a supposed high end machine when i can build an equivalent or better machine myself for 450 and up depending on what i want it to do and how big i want it to do it. until the next time  :thumb:

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:15:57 »
I find it amazing the possibilities with 3D printing.  The fact that you can build your own is awesome.  It is something I am definitely going to try someday, especially if it can work at the micron level.  I don't really think I want one that can build large prints, but I think it would be cool to make smaller things.. like keycaps or model parts... even replacement parts for small electronics when I inevitably break something.  What is the most popular software to use with 3D printing?  I don't know much at all about it right now, is there a standard file format that most prints use?  I hope each machine is not locked down to a certain software application or whatever

edit: when you live in a 1br apartment there is not much room for a big printer anyhow  :p

Offline jawad83

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:49:53 »
Their not that big lol  :D but yeah you can definitely do small things in detail I'll post another pic in a sec of some key caps that are in the making lol

Offline jawad83

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:52:37 »
My attempts so far lol

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:10:07 »
Holy crap man... nice work!  Looks like you know how to make a decent model for sure!

Edit:  strange... says you have 0 posts on all your postings... like your account is in a different dimension
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:11:42 by whizzard »

Offline jawad83

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:28:47 »
ha ha i just opened this thing today getting a hang on it then i will set up my profile your the second person i have talked to and thanks cant take to much credit though i just cut and paste what i have done so far nothing of my personal design

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:03:31 »
Just threw together a quick 10 minute 3D modeled key for my avatar... now I want a 3D printer! lol

Offline jawad83

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:40:06 »
that's awesome,I'm building well attempting to build a terminator esc button lol

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:44:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

3D modelling - how about a 3D model of a keyboard?  A request for that with custom coloured keycaps comes up every now and again, as people are trying to visualise what a keyboard would look like with a particular keycap set on it.  Also custom keycap profiles (although standard profiles - DSA, SA, DCS, OEM).  And custom legends would be a bonus (although understandably much harder to add).

There was a member a couple of years ago who produced 3D renders of a RealForce keyboard (IIRC) with different coloured keycaps - it was great, and he was taking requests, but wanted to charge for the service after a while.  Kinda died out after that.

Holy crap man... nice work!  Looks like you know how to make a decent model for sure!

Edit:  strange... says you have 0 posts on all your postings... like your account is in a different dimension

Posts in new members (and classifieds and off topic) do not count towards your official post count.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jawad83

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 04:07:34 »
Whats up man, thanks for the greet. As of now designing keyboards is out of my league I have done some caps novelty really. No oem replacements or anything but I am working on this. Maybe in a month or so i will learn until then their is always thingiverse. lol

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:23:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

3D modelling - how about a 3D model of a keyboard?  A request for that with custom coloured keycaps comes up every now and again, as people are trying to visualise what a keyboard would look like with a particular keycap set on it.  Also custom keycap profiles (although standard profiles - DSA, SA, DCS, OEM).  And custom legends would be a bonus (although understandably much harder to add).

I hadn't even thought of that... but I can see it's use for prototyping and visualization..   Right now I have a project that is consuming most of my time when I am not browsing around gh.  It is an advertisement, and it is a big job especially because I am doing this one alone.  Once I have more time I can definitely do something like that though.  I don't think it would be all that difficult, making "straight edge" type models is not as difficult as organics (zbrush sculpting).  To be honest I have a lot more to learn about keyboard engineering, DSA SA DCS OEM... these anagrams mean nothing to me other than OEM lol.   But I am hoping the fact that I can 3D model will help some members.  I wouldn't charge for the service because to be honest... once  you build the base models changing colors is about the easiest thing you can do...  unless you were asked to UV (UV is basically mapping a graphic) each keycap to match a certain group buy cap set or whatever.

I will probably start out making geekhack wallpapers and stuff, see where it goes from there once I get the time to devote to the board.  Gotta have something to do while waiting for artisan sales and new hardware to be released :)

Offline jawad83

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 19:20:37 »
Yeah ... i don't know a lot abouts the keyboards yet either but slowly but surely lol projects being done alone I know to well ha keep at it though anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:15:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I hadn't even thought of that... but I can see it's use for prototyping and visualization..   Right now I have a project that is consuming most of my time when I am not browsing around gh.  It is an advertisement, and it is a big job especially because I am doing this one alone.  Once I have more time I can definitely do something like that though.  I don't think it would be all that difficult, making "straight edge" type models is not as difficult as organics (zbrush sculpting).  To be honest I have a lot more to learn about keyboard engineering, DSA SA DCS OEM... these anagrams mean nothing to me other than OEM lol.   But I am hoping the fact that I can 3D model will help some members.  I wouldn't charge for the service because to be honest... once  you build the base models changing colors is about the easiest thing you can do...  unless you were asked to UV (UV is basically mapping a graphic) each keycap to match a certain group buy cap set or whatever.

I will probably start out making geekhack wallpapers and stuff, see where it goes from there once I get the time to devote to the board.  Gotta have something to do while waiting for artisan sales and new hardware to be released :)

The Geekhack Glossary might help!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:27:44 »
Damn rowdy thanks... that is so useful!  Cuts down lots of questions I had.  It is tough joining a new community forum and not really knowing any of the anagrams.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:30:51 »
I like you.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 12:18:11 »
I like you.

And I like you!! I checked out your work, and you make some nice stuff!  Do you do that all by hand or 3D printing?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:56:06 »
Welcome! That NES Modding sounds awesome! I love old school NES! Is it possible to add a hdmi cable now a days or no?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:50:07 »
Welcome! That NES Modding sounds awesome! I love old school NES! Is it possible to add a hdmi cable now a days or no?

Technically, yes.... but it requires expensive hardware and it isn't easy...  I don't think it would fit in a top-loader NES or probably even an original.  The top-loader is my favorite because they are cheap and usually an easy fix, and the mod to make it have a great picture isn't too hard.  They are super reliable compared to the original once they have fresh capacitors and stuff in them.  I am not an expert on all NES mods, just had some fun fixing up the top-loaders and making them better. 

There is so much to learn about retro gaming hardware,  and I do it more for the fun of messing with the old electronics than anything else.  But ya I have seen crazy mods,  especially with the boom in the retro gaming hobby. 

I love nostalgic stuff, but I don't really have the time to game and stuff like I used to. 

Too busy with work and these damn keyboards that I can't get enough of!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:07:07 »
Awesome man, yeah it probably wouldnt even be worth it since the NES isnt 1080 developed. :) Cool!  :cool:

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 08:30:47 »
I am suprised I never got into modding KB before, it is right up my alley... was happy to find all the cool stuff here on GH.  Other than the fact that I spend a lot more money on this than any other hobby, but its worth it  ;)

One thing I have been checking out as a graphic artist is keyboard layout designing.  I thought I had a great idea to do a "retro" style set with old VGA style lettering before I looked for a while and saw that retro has been done to death.  My new idea is to design something even more retro with calligraphy style old world lettering and symbols... just for the fun experiment of it.  Looking like a keyboard would if you dug it up and it was from 1600AD lol

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:19:33 »
I am suprised I never got into modding KB before, it is right up my alley... was happy to find all the cool stuff here on GH.  Other than the fact that I spend a lot more money on this than any other hobby, but its worth it  ;)

One thing I have been checking out as a graphic artist is keyboard layout designing.  I thought I had a great idea to do a "retro" style set with old VGA style lettering before I looked for a while and saw that retro has been done to death.  My new idea is to design something even more retro with calligraphy style old world lettering and symbols... just for the fun experiment of it.  Looking like a keyboard would if you dug it up and it was from 1600AD lol

Wow something really unique and new! I'll keep a look out for it. Oh and welcome!