Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3518543 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15400 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 19:04:53 »
Is there a Gateron switch tester pack?

Preferably with Zealios and all the other Gateron's in it
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #15401 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 19:49:34 »
Is there a Gateron switch tester pack?

Preferably with Zealios and all the other Gateron's in it

https://shop.clueboard.co/LED-Switch-Tester.html

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15402 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 20:00:58 »
What I need to do is rent a Type-S with MX sliders to test the feel...

Is that something one does? Like if I pay full price to someone, and then when I send it back, they pay me back all minus a fee?

Is there a publicly advertised service on geekhack like you describe? No. But friends or meetups are a good way to test that kinda stuff out.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #15403 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 01:41:25 »
Hey guys, I'm curious as to what's the minimum length required of the SIP socket to reach the pcb. The ones I have are 5mm and I'm unsure if it'll reach and make contact.
Anyone know if the ones I have will work?
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline Nuum

« Reply #15404 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 06:39:49 »
Is there a 60% PCB out there that allows for a split spacebar, e.g. 2.75u - 1u - 2,75u or similar?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15405 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 06:54:55 »
Is there a 60% PCB out there that allows for a split spacebar, e.g. 2.75u - 1u - 2,75u or similar?
No.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15406 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 13:52:41 »
Hey guys, I'm curious as to what's the minimum length required of the SIP socket to reach the pcb. The ones I have are 5mm and I'm unsure if it'll reach and make contact.

I wasn't aware that SIP socket lengths varied to be honest. I think you'll be fine. a quick test would be helpful though. Just throw together a SIP socketed switch and then mount the plate to the PCB with some normal switches. No need to solder. Just see if the SIP sockets legs poke through the PCB holes.

Not that I'm aware of.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #15407 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 18:24:31 »

I wasn't aware that SIP socket lengths varied to be honest. I think you'll be fine. a quick test would be helpful though. Just throw together a SIP socketed switch and then mount the plate to the PCB with some normal switches. No need to solder. Just see if the SIP sockets legs poke through the PCB holes.

Yeah It's kinda hard to say. The sockets seem to poke about halfway through my Octagon PCB, but it required a bit more force to push through.

I believe they are the ultra low profile SIP Sockets of this PDF. It measures to about the same specifications of the ultra low profile socket.
http://www.mill-max.com/assets/pdfs/065.PDF
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15408 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 02:33:09 »
Excellent, thanks.
I can see what you mean with the SA weight. I guess I should try it first, if I find a way to do so...
It's a huge cost for a single keyboard, after all.

There's a thread discussing the merits of using SA keycaps on a Novatouch which, like the HHKB, is 45g.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15409 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 03:32:29 »
There's a thread discussing the merits of using SA keycaps on a Novatouch which, like the HHKB, is 45g.
Thanks, reading that...

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15410 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 08:24:58 »
Does BSP still do keysets?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15411 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 08:32:45 »
Pretty sure they do. It wasn't too long ago someone did a custom run. But I remember there being a snafu with that buy. IIRC Sherry from Originative was involved so he might know.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15413 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 11:29:53 »
Pretty sure they do. It wasn't too long ago someone did a custom run. But I remember there being a snafu with that buy. IIRC Sherry from Originative was involved so he might know.

Ah okay, I have a nice set of BSP keycaps but I'm just kinda wondering why they hardly ever considered for running stuff.  Maybe high MOQ or something?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #15414 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:05:43 »
Thinking about a 40% to build, though i won't be able to build it any time soon considering i have classes. I have some in mind, but if there are more out there i'd like to know. Any suggestions?  :D
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15415 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:08:06 »
Thinking about a 40% to build, though i won't be able to build it any time soon considering i have classes. I have some in mind, but if there are more out there i'd like to know. Any suggestions?  :D

From all the ones I've seen, evangs' minivan 44 is the best one as far as features (and I might be a little biased since I own one). It's supposed to be on massdrop the end of this month.

JD40 and 45 are more readily available I think? The Atreus is interesting too if you're into the layout.
I love Elzy

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #15416 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:23:53 »
From all the ones I've seen, evangs' minivan 44 is the best one as far as features (and I might be a little biased since I own one). It's supposed to be on massdrop the end of this month.
JD40 and 45 are more readily available I think? The Atreus is interesting too if you're into the layout.

Yeah minivan was the first that came to mind. If its going to be on massdrop i'm probably going to go for that.
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #15417 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:44:36 »
Hey guys, just wondering if you know what material the ducky shine case is made of?

Im planning to repaint mine coz i have spare spray paint from my gunpla hobby.

Im confused whether to sand and prime the case before doing the actual coat.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15418 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 09:59:12 »

Hey guys, just wondering if you know what material the ducky shine case is made of?

Cheers!

Pretty sure it's ABS but I'm not 100%. But in other case painting walkthroughs I've seen have sanded and primed the cases.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #15419 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 13:41:34 »
Any other custom ~60%-ish keyboards with hot swapable switch support, besides Smart68? Like the idea, don't like having to find non-standard keycaps all the time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15420 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 13:47:29 »
Any other custom ~60%-ish keyboards with hot swapable switch support, besides Smart68? Like the idea, don't like having to find non-standard keycaps all the time.

The 62/60 is the only other option I'm aware of. But I have serious quality concerns about that board. In general hot-swappable isn't really proven yet and previous tests have yielded poor results.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #15421 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:21:58 »
is there a general consensus on what layout works well with mixed switches?  Heavier or tactile on modifiers and linear on alpha?  I like seeing different colors when people post their boards with no caps, but I'm not sure *why* they have it that way....

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #15422 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:24:19 »

Yeah minivan was the first that came to mind. If its going to be on massdrop i'm probably going to go for that.

mechanicalkeyboards.com is carrying the JD45 with both kits and pre built options.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15423 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:24:52 »
is there a general consensus on what layout works well with mixed switches?  Heavier or tactile on modifiers and linear on alpha?  I like seeing different colors when people post their boards with no caps, but I'm not sure *why* they have it that way....

Not really. That's definitely a personal preference thing. Companies who do the mixed switches usually do light switches for the keys they think the pinky and ring finger use more of.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #15424 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:34:04 »

The 62/60 is the only other option I'm aware of. But I have serious quality concerns about that board. In general hot-swappable isn't really proven yet and previous tests have yielded poor results.

I see. Well, i'd rather have what Smart68 has to offer than that "HHKB-ish" bottom row and acrylic sandwich case.

How hard would it be to find fitting PBT dyesub/doubleshots for V2 Layout A and V2 Layout B? It's 3x 1.5 mods (that right short shift looks like it's 1.5?) for the former and 5x 1.5 mods/1x 7 spacebar for the latter.

I'm guessing such keys still aren't that common in sets, especially such as PBT dyesub. Also that Page Up key is gonna be the major profile offender no matter what, since its gonna be in the wrong row...

Offline brighenne

« Reply #15425 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:04:50 »

Ah okay, I have a nice set of BSP keycaps but I'm just kinda wondering why they hardly ever considered for running stuff.  Maybe high MOQ or something?

Yeah I think BSP MOQ was 400 sets.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15426 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:08:26 »

Yeah I think BSP MOQ was 400 sets.

I also saw somewhere else that they apparently don't do spacebars either, so having to source those elsewhere on top of the high MOQ could definitely complicate things .

Offline brighenne

« Reply #15427 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:13:04 »
Yep, no BSP spacebars...I need to get a set.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15428 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:48:14 »
More

I see. Well, i'd rather have what Smart68 has to offer than that "HHKB-ish" bottom row and acrylic sandwich case.

How hard would it be to find fitting PBT dyesub/doubleshots for V2 Layout A and V2 Layout B? It's 3x 1.5 mods (that right short shift looks like it's 1.5?) for the former and 5x 1.5 mods/1x 7 spacebar for the latter.

I'm guessing such keys still aren't that common in sets, especially such as PBT dyesub. Also that Page Up key is gonna be the major profile offender no matter what, since its gonna be in the wrong row...\

Short right shift is always a bit tricky to find regardless of the material. Everything else should be fine.

Offline rao2100

« Reply #15429 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:06:59 »
Hi guys need help. I am using LZS keyboard. I think i activated something and now it types wrong characters.
A = D
Esc = \

Its not windows as I have plugged in a diff keyboard and it works fine.
I even removed keyboards from device manager and added back again.

So i gather there must be some shortcut in the LZS that activates this mode. Please help, and let me know where i can post this so i can get the help.

Thanks again. :'(
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15430 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:14:34 »
if i press it down slowly, my Esc key is sometimes registering multiple times (Cherry MX Red - KBT Pure Pro)
what could be the cause? wear? dirt?
i have not spilled any liquid on/in the keyboard and i haven't seen this behavior with any of the other keys

it's not a huge issue since 1) it's just the Esc key and 2) if i tap it down fast it doesn't happen.
i'm just curious to what the issue might be and how i could fix it (probably desoldering..?)
at times it's a bit annoying because it does make the key somewhat unreliable :-/
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15431 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:26:59 »
if i press it down slowly, my Esc key is sometimes registering multiple times (Cherry MX Red - KBT Pure Pro)
i have not spilled any liquid on/in the keyboard and i haven't seen this behavior with any of the other keys

it's not a huge issue since 1) it's just the Esc key and 2) if i tap it down fast it doesn't happen.
i'm just curious to what the issue might be and how i could fix it (probably desoldering..?)
at times it's a bit annoying because it does make the key somewhat unreliable :-/

Hi guys need help. I am using LZS keyboard. I think i activated something and now it types wrong characters.
A = D
Esc = \

So i gather there must be some shortcut in the LZS that activates this mode. Please help, and let me know where i can post this so i can get the help.

For both these issues, I'd check the soldering with a multimeter to see if the connection is good. If not fix it. I would then try and put something in between the PCB and case to see if that helps. I've had weird issues and chattering be solved by putting drawer liner between the PCB and case. I think it's shorting issues. If those don't work, I'd also try cleaning the switch or replacing the switch. Sometimes switches get dirty or are messed up in some way internally.

Offline rao2100

« Reply #15432 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 07:54:40 »

A = D
Esc = \

For both these issues, I'd check the soldering with a multimeter to see if the connection is good. If not fix it. I would then try and put something in between the PCB and case to see if that helps. I've had weird issues and chattering be solved by putting drawer liner between the PCB and case. I think it's shorting issues. If those don't work, I'd also try cleaning the switch or replacing the switch. Sometimes switches get dirty or are messed up in some way internally.

Thanks CPT, weirdly enough the right side of the keyboard is registering correctly. Will check out your suggestion. Thanks again.
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #15433 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:14:12 »

Cheers!

Pretty sure it's ABS but I'm not 100%. But in other case painting walkthroughs I've seen have sanded and primed the cases.

Thanks for the quick response mate.

I was also guessing abs, just wasn't a 100% sure it was tho.

Just a followup, do you think after i sand+prime any spray-paint would stick to the case or should i opt for vinyl?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15434 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 13:24:12 »
More

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick response mate.

I was also guessing abs, just wasn't a 100% sure it was tho.

Just a followup, do you think after i sand+prime any spray-paint would stick to the case or should i opt for vinyl?

Judging from people who have done it before, I think you'll be fine.

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #15435 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 14:19:24 »
I know my GH60 doesn't have full LED support but I read I can put a few in. Is this correct? If so, is there a maximum number?

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15436 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:54:09 »
I know my GH60 doesn't have full LED support but I read I can put a few in. Is this correct? If so, is there a maximum number?
You'll see where they can go by the spots for the resistors on the PCB. You'll need to install those for any LEDs to work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Dwarlorf

« Reply #15437 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 04:52:31 »
You'll see where they can go by the spots for the resistors on the PCB. You'll need to install those for any LEDs to work.

Thank you for your reply.

I take it where it says + and - on the PCB is where the LEDs can go. And the spots where there's two vertical lines and key description is where the transistors go.

How do I know what transistors to get? Does it depend on the  LEDs I choose or is there anything else I have to look out for?

E5XKBP10140                 GH60 Iso/Ansi hybrid, cherry mx red

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15438 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 07:09:23 »
Looking to replace some Matias switches because they don't treat the caps well. What is the closest alp switch to Zealio 67g

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15439 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:35:31 »
Looking to replace some Matias switches because they don't treat the caps well. What is the closest alp switch to Zealio 67g

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SKCM Salmon, Orange, Cream, or Brown are all options. I think Orange would be closest. Or maybe Brown.

More

Thank you for your reply.

I take it where it says + and - on the PCB is where the LEDs can go. And the spots where there's two vertical lines and key description is where the transistors go.

How do I know what transistors to get? Does it depend on the  LEDs I choose or is there anything else I have to look out for?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50865.10

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15440 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:40:44 »
Question: Why don't CPTBadass and HoffmanMyster play Civ V with me anymore?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15441 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:42:17 »

We should play again soon! Been busy with IRL stuff. And Hoff ignores me most of the time now sooooo :(.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15442 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:54:01 »

We should play again soon! Been busy with IRL stuff. And Hoff ignores me most of the time now sooooo :(.

I know, we gotta get ready for VI in just a couple months!  We can also try to trick Hoff into coming, maybe with promises of vinyl...

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15443 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 10:08:23 »
retrobrighting cherry og doubleshots; how do i do it and will it be safe for the plastic and change how it is supposed to feel?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15444 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 10:12:49 »
retrobrighting cherry og doubleshots; how do i do it and will it be safe for the plastic and change how it is supposed to feel?

DT has a lot of really good in process pictures of retrobright that come to mind. Here's some links

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/retrobright-t8139.html#p167981
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Retr0bright
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/retrobrite-the-yellow-strikes-back-t6084.html

I believe it is safe and does not change the feeling but I've never tried it. It is a chemical process and I'm not responsible with how things go; good or bad. You'll have to gauge your risk tolerance and decide for yourself. If I had anything yellowed I'd try it but I haven't had that issue yet.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15445 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:03:22 »

I know, we gotta get ready for VI in just a couple months!  We can also try to trick Hoff into coming, maybe with promises of vinyl...

Message me too when you're playing next!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15446 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:11:11 »

Message me too when you're playing next!

Will do :)

Offline brighenne

« Reply #15447 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:54:05 »

Read this thread if you're interested in retrobright. Some really good information.

https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/retrobrite-the-yellow-strikes-back-t6084.html

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15448 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 03:09:06 »
In TMK, do you need a separate function to use a lock key to switch layers, or does ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY work?

Offline AnTi PRO

• DAS Boot
« Reply #15449 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:44:33 »
As someone who has no experience soldering or building anything electronically is there a good/affordable kit out there to learn how to build boards? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it, but I don't want to ruin an expensive board.

Thanks! <3