Author Topic: Anyone looked into 3rd party laser engraving?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Anyone looked into 3rd party laser engraving?
« on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 21:43:22 »
For example, if one were to purchase and supply a full set (or 10) of blank keycaps to a 3rd party laser engraving service for applying the desired 'printing'; was curious if anyone has already done so (built templates, character set, had a quote created), ir if no one has - would folks be interested in seeing how much something like that would cost?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Anyone looked into 3rd party laser engraving?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:29:56 »
WASD does custom etching and engraving. Here are some templates they put up:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/resources/keyboard-layouts
They also provide the keycaps, so you don't have to try and source them yourself.

Also, If you wanted a terran or zerg numberpad, I believe those have been made already, so you can just ask for that, and he can quote you.

Just send them an e-mail, WASDkeyboards is great.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 09:52:23 »
For MX keycaps, WASD is great for laser printing or engraving.  Including the ability to print custom jpeg images on the keycaps.

For Model M keycaps, I asked Fentek (fentek-ind.com) if they could print white on black keycaps I would provide from Unicomp.  No reply, which I took as a no.  They DO say they can do custom printing on keycaps, but IDK about customer-provided keycaps -- that may be a stumbling block.

Also, from what I understand from talking to Weyman at WASD, the printing comes from a chemical reaction in the plastic, so it may also be that some keycaps will work and others won't.

But if all you want is MX keycaps with custom laser printing, just go to http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html and set them up there.

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 10:11:09 »
If you're willing to pay for the privilege and provide samples that may never survive, Weyman (WASD) has previously told me he'd be willing to shoot his laser at my PBT caps to see what happens.

New stuff keeps coming out and changing my plans, so I never got around to it. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 10:58:03 »
If you're willing to pay for the privilege and provide samples that may never survive, Weyman (WASD) has previously told me he'd be willing to shoot his laser at my PBT caps to see what happens.

Really?  I have some blank PBT keycaps from Unicomp, and I am 10 miles away from WASD.  I'll send Weyman a note and see if he'll give it a shot.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 11:00:00 »
Model M caps you may not be so lucky... His jigs are set up for Cherry MX caps.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 11:22:30 »
Model M caps you may not be so lucky... His jigs are set up for Cherry MX caps.

Yep; saw them.  At least some of my M keycaps are two-part, so they should fit.  Happy to clip the posts off the others to fit them into his jog.

Anyhow, I sent the note, so we'll see if he's even into it IRL.

- Ron | samwisekoi

(Sitting at someone else's mushy rubber-dome keyboard and hating it.)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 15:18:31 »

This is exactly what I'd be interested in; wouldn't mind sacrificing a set or two either.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:10:42 »

This is exactly what I'd be interested in; wouldn't mind sacrificing a set or two either.

Heard back from Weyman (WASD) today.  He is not interested in doing this, for a variety of reasons.  PM me if you want/need more info.

- Ron | samwisekoi