Author Topic: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海 - LIVE AUGUST 1  (Read 151381 times)

Offline wil

Re: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 15:46:26 »
this is an incredible effort and something i'm definitely keeping my eye on. masterpiece having 80 new molds still had a pretty appealing base kit pricing so i'm hoping this doesn't break the bank much further.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:02:02 »
this is an incredible effort and something i'm definitely keeping my eye on. masterpiece having 80 new molds still had a pretty appealing base kit pricing so i'm hoping this doesn't break the bank much further.

Big ups to energieschleuder for even making me think this might be possible! That's pretty much where I landed on this. I wanted to make this design rule as much as possible and figure out the money later. Thanks for the kind word, we'll do everything we can to make it accessible to the people.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:06:12 »
Also I think a kit of light alphas (red + white/light grey) will look dope with the colorful mods and novelties  :cool:

A lot of people have brought this up! It's something I'm going to be strongly considering either later in the IC or in an R2. I want to play around with KLE to see if I can come up with something I think is appealing.

Offline ZongZiWang

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 16:44:46 »
Novelty kit looks amazing, will consider getting one. Can you add row information onto the kit picture?

Offline MousePounder

• Location: It's in that place where I put that thing that time.
  • Full Size Mechs Need Love Too!
    • Bomba Gigante
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 17:32:42 »
Big ups to energieschleuder for even making me think this might be possible! That's pretty much where I landed on this. I wanted to make this design rule as much as possible and figure out the money later. Thanks for the kind word, we'll do everything we can to make it accessible to the people.

We talking more than 500 if you want all the keycap kits?

Just wondering how much I need to squirrel away for this amazing set.

Watch Out! Wide Mechs Comin' Thru!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 18:43:14 »
1.5u shift in the base kit looks interesting, what boards would that work with?

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 19:13:56 »

the evolv 75%. it would also be really cool to see a 1800 cp with a 1.5 shift so that the numpad gap is uniform with the rest of the board.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 19:40:11 »
Novelty kit looks amazing, will consider getting one. Can you add row information onto the kit picture?

Yes, I will need to do that soon anyway. I’ve just been too lazy. Will update all photos with row markers after our next round of fixes.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 19:44:17 »

the evolv 75%. it would also be really cool to see a 1800 cp with a 1.5 shift so that the numpad gap is uniform with the rest of the board.

I feel like Evolv’s solution to the blocked arrow cluster is going to catch on. It’s also useful for certain ergo layouts.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 20:52:49 »
metro on steroids!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 21:29:20 »
Any possibility of creating a discord server for updates/general discussion on the set? Really would love to join if you created one :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 22:59:10 »
Having simplified chinese on mods and traditional chinese on alphas just looks whack. It looks weird not just aesthetically to Chinese speakers, but also contextually too since its the same as mixing Jčrriais and French - yes the two share similarities but its not the same thing.

AFAIK people in mainland China uses QWERTY for pinyin input, so putting cangjie on the alphas is just about as useful as putting hiragana on an English layout. I'd honestly suggest you to use traditional for mods if you're trying to push for cangjie alphas.

I think those who use traditional would prefer not to use simplified since its practically Newspeak or Pidgin English to them, which is why some view it as insulting? Obviously there isn't a similar view conversely, but simplified users would not want to mix it with traditional either.

Offline radmedov

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 23:06:32 »
Def interested, please make a kit for Ortho boards.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 00:34:56 »
I gotta say, seeing such a well fleshed out IC these days, really makes me fell great, good job on the set, especially on the novelties.
The only thing that might be a bit concerning to me is the legend visibility of the red alphas, especially on the first render (but maybe it just comes of different in that one, since they are somehow way more visible in all the other renders)
Hope this set will be very successful, gl :thumb:

Offline syke

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 08:09:40 »
Nice. Always wanted a Chinese set. But like what everyone has mentioned. Keep it consistent. Simplified and Traditional together is helluva odd. If Cangjie is what you are after then stick with Traditional. However, that runs in total contradictory with your theme of Beijing nights. Secondly, red on black on the alphas makes legibility really difficult. I personally would prefer typing in Pinyin before converting them into Traditional (Cangjie is way too complex for me). And the colour scheme doesn't help for someone like me who sucks in Cangjie. 

BTW, Cangjie is mainly used by folks like us residing in Hong Kong, Zhuyin in Taiwan... Why not a set that has all four options? Alphabets for Pinyin, Cangjie, Zhuyin and Dayi?
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2020, 08:29:58 by syke »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 08:36:36 »
Traditional character fans, you’re vocal and heartfelt, so here’s why I used simplified characters for the mods:

1) The theme of the set is inspired by Beijing, where traditional characters are not used.
2) From my own part as the designer, it also feels very inauthentic for me to use characters I never learned to read or write, for an audience I never lived among.
3) Admittedly, the use of Cangjie legends is largely decorative. I don’t expect many Chinese users, even in places where Cangjie is taught, to use this design to type in Cangjie, although, all the better if someone does. If I had chosen to make this set solely practical, I would have also included Zhuyin and Dayi schemes. Some sets have this, I decided to choose Cangjie only for aesthetic reasons.
4) It’s also true that every character in the Cangjie legends set except one, 難, is the same in both simplified and traditional. I understand many people may feel that Cangjie does not “match” simplified characters, but for practical purposes, we are talking about one single key.

I understand that there are strong feelings about simplified vs. traditional characters that I, as an outsider, will never truly appreciate. But there are deeply personal reasons I chose to use simplified characters in the mods, and still wanted to include a legend scheme that honored the beauty of the written Chinese language through the use of full Chinese character legends.

It’s not a perfect solution to please everyone, but in the end, the design is based on my own impressions of a place I have lived in, worked in, and loved, and I can’t replace that impression with someone else’s, though I understand that your opinion is heartfelt. 😊

Offline Pach

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 09:10:43 »
I love the concept behind this, but to be honest I think there are too many colors going on in the modifiers (handarbeit-esque). Just my opinion so more power to you, but massive round of applause for doing both monolegend and sublegend Chinese.  :thumb:

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 12:32:10 »
Thanks for the support so far, everyone! 150 responses and 5k+ views in the first 24 hours. Nathan and I will be working on some tweaks based on early feedback and hope to have that finalized by Monday.

It also turns out I am suddenly in need of a new US vendor. I wouldn’t have launched without one, but I also understand things change. It’s an ambitious project but I’m willing to work to make sure it’s a fit for everyone. US vendors, feel free to reach out to talk. You can catch me on Discord at grundlemere#1126 or IG @grundlemere. All other vendors are still on board and Zfrontier and iLumkb are working to make this a big launch in Asia!

Offline Cł—Ears

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 21:48:52 »
First of all, i love the design.
As a Chinese, i really like it. Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese aside,just glad to see someone doing this.Especially for the Novelties,the most important thing for normal Chinese people is the food. So 小吃 is really nice. Looked like you really embraced our culture. Even i can only use Pinyin,i wouldnt mind you using Cangjie on it. I know you must know this,Wubi(五笔)is more commonly used for Simplified Chinese.But almost each and everyone now using Pinyin in Mainland China.We can def be using this keysets.
I am in this for sure
加油!

Offline break

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 23:20:43 »
It also turns out I am suddenly in need of a new US vendor. I wouldn’t have launched without one, but I also understand things change. It’s an ambitious project but I’m willing to work to make sure it’s a fit for everyone. US vendors, feel free to reach out to talk. You can catch me on Discord at grundlemere#1126 or IG @grundlemere. All other vendors are still on board and Zfrontier and iLumkb are working to make this a big launch in Asia!

Best of luck finding a new vendor! On IG you commented that TX will "stop running keycap sets for the foreseeable future." Can you provide a bit more information here? Right now this reads as if they're stopping all keycap sales, which seems like something they'd prefer to announce themselves very clearly.

Offline keyboardcircle

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 23:34:07 »
can you add 上下左右 and 東南西北 to base kit?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 07:55:48 »

Best of luck finding a new vendor! On IG you commented that TX will "stop running keycap sets for the foreseeable future." Can you provide a bit more information here? Right now this reads as if they're stopping all keycap sales, which seems like something they'd prefer to announce themselves very clearly.

So, to be clear, I have permission from Popkorn to explain that this is why TX backed out. It’s a decision she may revisit down the road, and I for one am hopeful that will happen. TX is a great business and Popkorn has been great. Despite my obvious disappointment at losing my lead vendor at this time, she’s been really helpful through the process and is working to help me find a replacement, and I hope to work with her again in the future. I just bought some stem pickers and lube from her yesterday. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 12:30:42 by grundlemere »

Offline break

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 07:57:20 »

So, to be clear, I have permission from Popkorn to explain that this is why TX backed out. It’s a decision he may revisit down the road, and I for one am hopeful that will happen. TX is a great business and Popkorn has been great. Despite my obvious disappointment at losing my lead vendor at this time, he’s been really helpful through the process and is working to help me find a replacement, and I hope to work with him again in the future. I just bought some stem pickers and lube from him yesterday. :)

Thanks, and best of luck with your US vendor!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 08:00:27 »
First of all, i love the design.
As a Chinese, i really like it. Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese aside,just glad to see someone doing this.Especially for the Novelties,the most important thing for normal Chinese people is the food. So 小吃 is really nice. Looked like you really embraced our culture. Even i can only use Pinyin,i wouldnt mind you using Cangjie on it. I know you must know this,Wubi(五笔)is more commonly used for Simplified Chinese.But almost each and everyone now using Pinyin in Mainland China.We can def be using this keysets.
I am in this for sure
加油!

Thank you for your support! I chose Cangjie because it covers all 26 alphas and honestly because I like the characters better. Part of my rationale also was to use a system that includes territories that use Cangjie, though some of course have expressed that they are unhappy with the choice to combine Cangjie with Simplified Chinese. At this point I don’t think we plan to change the legends to 五笔 but it’s definitely an option. Other Chinese friends suggested it as well but partners on the mainland liked Cangjie just as much. It’s mostly for decorative reasons as I’ve explained. It is a good idea, though!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 08:05:20 »
can you add 上下左右 and 東南西北 to base kit?

To be honest, any changes I make to the base kit will be to simplify it and make it more affordable at this point. The character arrows are the definition of superfluous. :) I still hope you will get them! The monolegends kit looks really good I think!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 14:50:17 »
Why are you including a R2 Home key?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:00:18 »

Absolutely out of personal preference for my own layout. I typically run a 65 and I like to have home and end keys on my right cluster instead of page up/dn.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:36:18 »

Absolutely out of personal preference for my own layout. I typically run a 65 and I like to have home and end keys on my right cluster instead of page up/dn.

There's no R3 End key, though, which is why I'm asking. Anyway, why not make it more usable by exchanging that key for R2 Out, R3 Read (or Data)? Doing this will add basic ortho support to the set. There's already a R3 1.25u key, so it's missing those two keys for basic ortho 40s support. And since the legends are generic, you could also use them for your preferred, albeit admittedly uncommon, 65% layout. Don't ask me how you would translate those to Chinese, though ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 June 2020, 18:49:17 by konstantin »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:58:46 »

There's no R3 End key, though, which is why I'm asking. Anyway, why not make it more usable by exchanging that key for R2 Out, R3 Read (or Data)? Doing this will add basic ortho support to the set. There's already a R3 1.25u key, so it's missing those two keys to support ortho. And since the legends are generic, you can also use it for your preferred, albeit admittedly uncommon, 65% layout. Don't ask me how you would translate those to Chinese, though ;)

The missing R3 end key is an oversight and I’m gonna add it to next round. As far as what you need for ortho support, tell me exactly what keys you need to make it work in the IC form (rows, widths, and legends) and I will see if we can add them. And even translate them into Chinese!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 17:59:25 »
I’m not an ortho user so I need you to use small words and talk slowly. :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 18:46:17 »
The missing R3 end key is an oversight and I’m gonna add it to next round. As far as what you need for ortho support, tell me exactly what keys you need to make it work in the IC form (rows, widths, and legends) and I will see if we can add them. And even translate them into Chinese!

The keys I was suggesting were a R2 1u and a R3 1u key. The legends can be anything generic, but usually R2 1u Out and R3 1u Read or R3 1u Data are used. Some sets even merge these keys with R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn in order to keep the kit size down (e.g. Solar Red), while others keep them separate (e.g. Delta). You can do that here if you want, and merge them with your R2 Home, R3 End keys, if you yourself don't mind using e.g. Out, Read instead of Home, End.

A R4 1u key is sometimes included as well, usually R4 1u Enter or R4 1u Shift. The 1u Shift in particular would also be useful (in conjunction with the existing 2u Shift) for covering 60% layouts with arrows (e.g. GK64), which are very popular in the Eastern community. And for a set like this, I'd wager that having a lot of Eastern customers is a reasonable expectation ;)

However, as I'm not a 40% user either, I will leave the form filling to the actual users who would benefit from having those keys; I'm just noting the possibility and throwing the idea out there.

Alternatively, of course, you can add a separate 40s kit and relegate ortho support to it, which is also a reasonable course of action. In that case, the R3 1.25u Tab and second R4 1u Ctrl could be removed from the base kit, as they are only used on 40% boards.

Offline __init__

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 19:15:22 »
Also I think a kit of light alphas (red + white/light grey) will look dope with the colorful mods and novelties  :cool:

A lot of people have brought this up! It's something I'm going to be strongly considering either later in the IC or in an R2. I want to play around with KLE to see if I can come up with something I think is appealing.

Light alphas would be ****ing amazing! This kit already looks kickass!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 21:12:01 »
Got a new partner offering a cool accessory: Rikkachet from Asero Foundry is going to do metal collab artisans in aluminum and timascus! If you haven't seen timascus, google it, it's beautiful. Will probably draw from the novelty icons and that color scheme is gonna be a perfect match for the neon lights of Beijing nights!

This is just a sample of what the timascus material can look like, the patterns of the cap Asero creates may end up looking very different

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 21:13:00 »
Got a new partner offering a cool accessory: Rikkachet from Asero Foundry is going to do metal collab artisans in aluminum and timascus! If you haven't seen timascus, google it, it's beautiful. Will probably draw from the novelty icons and that color scheme is gonna be a perfect match for the neon lights of Beijing nights!

This is just a sample of what the timascus material can look like, the patterns of the cap Asero creates may end up looking very different

Show Image

That is awesome. Thanks for making me even more hyped for January!

Offline MousePounder

• Bomba Gigante
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 21:18:26 »

Show Image

Just want to say this is an awesome idea. I am a sucker for metal keycaps! I am glad to have time to save cause I feel like I am going to want everything!

Offline uframer

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 22:48:38 »
There is an error in the legend of numpad. Key 6 should be 陆 instead of 柳。Please refer to https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E6%95%B0%E5%AD%97 for details.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 01:54:12 »
I just wanted to say that it's awesome that someone is making cangjie moulds. I really like the mono alphas. Will support

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 06:11:20 »
There is an error in the legend of numpad. Key 6 should be 陆 instead of 柳。Please refer to https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E6%95%B0%E5%AD%97 for details.

Renderer is fixing now

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 06:46:12 »
Good luck man was good chatting with you on insta, wish you nothing but the best.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 10:10:10 »
Just had a great conversation with Jae from Top Clack and Prototypist.net. He's agreed to join us as our UK vendor, which will be welcome news for our British community members as trade and shipping between EU and UK might become complicated by Brexit developments by the time of the group buy. Plus, he's just excited about the set and we're thrilled to figure out a way to bring him on as a partner.

Welcome Jae!

Offline jawoo

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 11:37:59 »
I am in

Offline grundlemere

Something that came out of the process...thoughts?

Offline yoot

• none
Show Image

Looks good but I like the colorful set more :) will it be a white legends kit or a totally separate base kit?

Offline MousePounder

• Bomba Gigante
If I have to choose between the two colorways I want the original colorway shown on page 1,

but if more options can be offered without sacrifice then I see this as an absolute win!

Offline kajahtaa

Does xiaochi mean too cheap? Hahah

sanlitun next?

Offline grundlemere

Does xiaochi mean too cheap? Hahah

sanlitun next?

No, it’s little snacks! I think you’re looking for “太便宜了,” and there’s no such thing as too cheap!

下次要三里屯,好吧?我们说这样:“三里屯儿儿儿...”

Offline kajahtaa

Ahahhaha. GMK Er-Hau ?

Offline santela

Show Image

This is quite good. I personally like it. But I would like to see the alphas in grey for some contrast.

Btw, regarding traditional and simplified, why not offer traditional as an extra set? I know it doesn't really go with the concept, but just a personal preference.

Offline calveeen

Show Image

Make this!!!

Offline Solotov

Show Image

Start the GB of this set in next month or we riot  :eek:
Flex is love, flex is life.