Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2447575 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5850 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 13:40:48 »
Oh well, i at least got some unboxing pictures, sorry for the spam haha

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5851 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:34:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Did you restart your computer after you plug in the keyboard?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5852 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:58:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Did you restart your computer after you plug in the keyboard?

Yes, rerstarted after every change in the dip switches.

Offline nurupism

« Reply #5853 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 10:30:40 »
Yes, rerstarted after every change in the dip switches.

I recently got a Switchboard myself, one of the NIB models on Ebay that were sold without a cable. I was able to get it to work fine with an ADB cable and Mac mode, so perhaps that is something you could try.

Offline kultra

« Reply #5854 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 08:03:59 »
I bought an Acer keyboard with ALPS switches, but the keys exhibit key chatter. I use two adapters to connect the keyboard to my laptop DIN->PS/2 and PS/2->USB. The latter adapter was tested with other PS/2 keyboards and it works, but I don't have other DIN keyboard to test the other adapter. This is the adapter used:
https://www.amazon.it/Lindy-0-15m-AT-interface-adapters/dp/B0000934IC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1511791197&sr=8-8&keywords=din+ps%2F2

Is the adapter defect? Or the keyboard? Any idea on how to fix the key chatter?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 02:09:20 by kultra »

Offline Applet

« Reply #5855 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:42:42 »
Got a case today, so decided to take a pic.

alps64 w. click modded oranges (ulrasonic cleaned). Keycaps from AEK1 and M0116. Had to select the best switches from the board, some were very worn out.

Maybe not the prettiest, but it's a fun board. :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #5856 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:57:20 »
Looks good! I always want to see people do a little dyeing up with AEK/M0116 caps for a bit more contrast, but it does look nice as is.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5857 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 11:30:23 »
Looks good! I always want to see people do a little dyeing up with AEK/M0116 caps for a bit more contrast, but it does look nice as is.

I've been wondering about that myself. I'm about to build my second AEK build (this time a 60), and was wondering how I could switch it up a little. I'm curious how a charcoal gray dye would look.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline E3E

« Reply #5858 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 12:04:08 »

I've been wondering about that myself. I'm about to build my second AEK build (this time a 60), and was wondering how I could switch it up a little. I'm curious how a charcoal gray dye would look.

That's exactly the same color I was considering. I think it'd look nice as a mod color or for the whole set.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5859 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 12:07:27 »

That's exactly the same color I was considering. I think it'd look nice as a mod color or for the whole set.

Or even go with a fun color like purple or turquoise for the mods, and charcoal for the alphas.
I sadly have no dye experience. So I'd have to get my hands on some AEK cap knowing full well I could mess them up.. Has anyone done something similar before?
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 09:05:01 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #5860 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 04:42:44 »
I'm curious how a charcoal gray dye would look.

Here is a friend's M0110 with charcoal grey caps for a bit of reference to what a little color contrast might look like:

Offline clickstops

« Reply #5861 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:40:27 »
That M0110 is deluxe.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #5862 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:49:22 »
It's super custom with a beta version of a fully programmable Bluetooth PCB and it uses a laser cut acrylic adapter plate to mount the PCB without modifying the case at all.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5863 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 15:54:14 »
It's super custom with a beta version of a fully programmable Bluetooth PCB and it uses a laser cut acrylic adapter plate to mount the PCB without modifying the case at all.

Ummm... can we get a build thread about this thing? It sounds amazing!

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #5864 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:06:16 »
Ummm... can we get a build thread about this thing? It sounds amazing!

Here is an Imgur album with more pictures and a bit of info https://imgur.com/a/KZPgD The build is done by a buddy and the programming was a combined effort between him and another guy who initially wrote some BT firmware for some really interesting wireless projects he's developing. Still kinda all a beta project, but he says he really digs using it.

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #5865 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 08:44:38 »
I expect M-tek K108 to appear on Wednesday, according to seller it has white complicated Alps. I'm looking forward to doing some appreciation myself :)

Nice man! It probably has the four-tab ALPS clone below but it should be a good alps experience nonetheless! Clicky ALPS are a lot of fun:)

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps.tw_Type_T1
Oh snap, I should have seen this reply sooner.
It actually has white Alps of the "pine" variety.
https://imgur.com/a/aac43
About a dozen switches had the issue with upstroke click, but gently squeezing the clickleaf and switchplate contacts of each switch did the job.
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5866 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:37:55 »
I expect M-tek K108 to appear on Wednesday, according to seller it has white complicated Alps. I'm looking forward to doing some appreciation myself :)

Nice man! It probably has the four-tab ALPS clone below but it should be a good alps experience nonetheless! Clicky ALPS are a lot of fun:)

Oh snap, I should have seen this reply sooner.
It actually has white Alps of the "pine" variety.
https://imgur.com/a/aac43
About a dozen switches had the issue with upstroke click, but gently squeezing the clickleaf and switchplate contacts of each switch did the job.

Dude, nice! The DT wiki for the K108 could maybe use a little updating with this information then! Thats a lovely board!

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5867 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:16:49 »

I had a siig minitouch with this switch. I hated it so much I had the switches pulled within 24 hours. The switch was unbelievably stiff before actuation began. However, the switch SOUNDS amazing, and the feel is good, but the extreme stiffness was next level, and there was no way I could handle it. Just wanted to put my opinion out there.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5868 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:29:50 »

I had a siig minitouch with this switch. I hated it so much I had the switches pulled within 24 hours. The switch was unbelievably stiff before actuation began. However, the switch SOUNDS amazing, and the feel is good, but the extreme stiffness was next level, and there was no way I could handle it. Just wanted to put my opinion out there.

I can't deal with very stiff switches either. Maybe a "good ALPS experience" wasn't the right way to phrase that. I meant more that, as a clone, it should still be a good example of the function of ALPS and what there is to appreciate about them. I've never actually tried those switches before. Alas, he got the real deal anyway!

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5869 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 15:42:24 »

I can't deal with very stiff switches either. Maybe a "good ALPS experience" wasn't the right way to phrase that. I meant more that, as a clone, it should still be a good example of the function of ALPS and what there is to appreciate about them. I've never actually tried those switches before. Alas, he got the real deal anyway!
Well, because of that switch, I have a siig minitouch with orange alps now, which is my favorite keyboard. In fact, I like it so much, I have a hard time actually using it, out of fear I will wear out the switches. xD
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #5870 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:07:16 »
This was sitting in my garage. I was talking to my dad about old keyboards yesterday morning and when I came home, he told me he remembered he still has one very old keyboard. It was his first keyboard that he got with his first PC, which he still has as well. He gave the board to me as an early birthday present.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5871 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:11:00 »
This was sitting in my garage. I was talking to my dad about old keyboards yesterday morning and when I came home, he told me he remembered he still has one very old keyboard. It was his first keyboard that he got with his first PC, which he still has as well. He gave the board to me as an early birthday present.

Show Image

Show Image

Whattttt. Now that's a fabulous switch to stumble on. Any plans for it? Keep it as is for harvesting for some big build?

Offline eksuen

« Reply #5872 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 18:22:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Whattttt. Now that's a fabulous switch to stumble on. Any plans for it? Keep it as is for harvesting for some big build?

I need an adapter to see if it work. Regardless of functionality, I will most likely keep it as is since it's in such good condition and it has some family history to it.

I just acquired an AEK layout Alps64 that has Greens modded to be clicky, so I have something to scratch that typing itch when it comes to regular usage.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5873 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 20:02:14 »

I've got those awful clones in my MiniTouch too.  I was really hoping somebody here at some suggestions for what to do with them...unfortunately replacing them with another Alps switch isn't really an option for me since I don't have any others on hand.

The board is basically unusable in its current state.  Lost the MiniTouch lottery I guess (I was really hoping for Monterey switches but it was a new in box keyboard so I didn't know what I was getting...).

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5874 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 22:45:08 »

I've got those awful clones in my MiniTouch too.  I was really hoping somebody here at some suggestions for what to do with them...unfortunately replacing them with another Alps switch isn't really an option for me since I don't have any others on hand.

The board is basically unusable in its current state.  Lost the MiniTouch lottery I guess (I was really hoping for Monterey switches but it was a new in box keyboard so I didn't know what I was getting...).
You could salvage them with lighter springs, but it is a massive pain, especially since the cut down switch plate on those clone switches like to catch on the housing, ruining them. They are easy to get apart but a nightmare to reassemble. Cherry springs will not work though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 22:47:17 by rich1051414 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5875 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 00:28:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

I suppose that's an Ortek OEM product, but I've never heard of that model before Oo . Regardless, that's quite a find, congratulations! :D
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5876 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 07:51:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

If you cannot get the keyboard converted and want to keep the keyboard in it's current case, I have a PCB that supports the layout and uses a teensy 2++.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline eksuen

« Reply #5877 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 11:17:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

If you cannot get the keyboard converted and want to keep the keyboard in it's current case, I have a PCB that supports the layout and uses a teensy 2++.

Noted. Thank you. The converter should arrive in a couple days so we'll soon find out.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5878 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:17:31 »
Question, my matias quiet pro showed up today, but there is something weird about the feel, or perhaps I am spoiled by oranges. After the tactile bump, it feels like there is a second smaller build up in pressure, which releases again, and this is consistent across all switches. Is this just friction I am feeling, or is there something different about the new switches.

I have heard people compare the feel of typing on one as splashing into a pool of water, and I totally understand what they mean by that now, but I can't help but notice the friction. The high tactility that gives way a lot is exactly why I like oranges, but the friction or whatever after that just feels strange. Can that be helped with lube? I thought these switches came factory lubed.

Also some of the switches rattle badly, and are louder than some of my clicky switches. Not very 'quiet'. Even my zealios board is quieter than this one due to tactile leaf clicking.

Edit: The later was due to the switch being cold as I just pulled it from outside. As it has warmed up, the clicking has stopped. I guess the switches were never actuated after assembled and the lube froze. However, there is still a bit of tactile leaf rattle going on, more than my oranges. I will see if that stops with use. However, it could be the sound of the stem slamming into the base that masks the sound of the tactile leaf rattling on orange switches, not too sure about that.

Good switches, better than any cherry tactile switch in feel, even zealios, but no match for oranges, that is for sure. Just trying to figure out if there is something 'off' about my batch of quiet switches, so I don't have a false opinion of them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:43:46 by rich1051414 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5879 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 23:52:40 »
This second bump is normal on Matias switches, it's caused by the metal contacts.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5880 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 02:16:14 »
This second bump is normal on Matias switches, it's caused by the metal contacts.
Oh I see. That makes sense. I am slowly no longer even noticing it, and I started questioning my initial reaction. It is definitely subtle, but noticeable if you come from a switch that does not have this.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #5881 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 13:56:12 »
Question, my matias quiet pro showed up today, but there is something weird about the feel, or perhaps I am spoiled by oranges. After the tactile bump, it feels like there is a second smaller build up in pressure, which releases again, and this is consistent across all switches. Is this just friction I am feeling, or is there something different about the new switches.

I have heard people compare the feel of typing on one as splashing into a pool of water, and I totally understand what they mean by that now, but I can't help but notice the friction. The high tactility that gives way a lot is exactly why I like oranges, but the friction or whatever after that just feels strange. Can that be helped with lube? I thought these switches came factory lubed.

Also some of the switches rattle badly, and are louder than some of my clicky switches. Not very 'quiet'. Even my zealios board is quieter than this one due to tactile leaf clicking.

Edit: The later was due to the switch being cold as I just pulled it from outside. As it has warmed up, the clicking has stopped. I guess the switches were never actuated after assembled and the lube froze. However, there is still a bit of tactile leaf rattle going on, more than my oranges. I will see if that stops with use. However, it could be the sound of the stem slamming into the base that masks the sound of the tactile leaf rattling on orange switches, not too sure about that.

Good switches, better than any cherry tactile switch in feel, even zealios, but no match for oranges, that is for sure. Just trying to figure out if there is something 'off' about my batch of quiet switches, so I don't have a false opinion of them.

I can't speak to the older Matias Quiet Click switches because I've never opened one up but I can confirm that the new ones are factory lubed. Also, if you like Alps Orange switches, my recommendation is to remove the rubber "dampeners" from Matias' QC switches. While not as smooth as Alps Oranges (my personal favorites), it remedies that odd rubbery sensation the dampeners create. Also, the quiet clicks are just too quiet IMO.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5882 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 17:57:16 »
The Matias switches still have some of the clunkiness that all simplified Alps do which might explain that weird "second bump"

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5883 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:22:07 »
The Matias switches still have some of the clunkiness that all simplified Alps do which might explain that weird "second bump"
Clunkiness is a good word. It feels a bit chaotic compared to older alps that I am used to. It is still good, but it feels sloppy in comparison. As I said, it probably is just me spoiled by vintage alps. On older alps, once you overcome the bump, it feels like the bottom falls out and you don't really feel much resistance until you bottom out the slider, but on matias, you can definitely feel extra resistance before the rubber bumper bottoms out, which adds a third type of resistance. This adds up to a press feeling chaotic to me, like you get too many different forms of tactility overlapping sloppily.

This, of course, is simply in comparison. For a modern switch, they are still very nice, and I am not trying to convince anyone to not get them a try. It is just not the same as the old alps.

They also feel more bindy as well, but I forgive it for that. Alps have always been a bit bindy in comparison to cherry, regardless of the manufacturer. I have come to actually kind of like it in a strange way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:24:47 by rich1051414 »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5884 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 00:54:11 »
Clunkiness is a good word. It feels a bit chaotic compared to older alps that I am used to. It is still good, but it feels sloppy in comparison. As I said, it probably is just me spoiled by vintage alps. On older alps, once you overcome the bump, it feels like the bottom falls out and you don't really feel much resistance until you bottom out the slider, but on matias, you can definitely feel extra resistance before the rubber bumper bottoms out, which adds a third type of resistance. This adds up to a press feeling chaotic to me, like you get too many different forms of tactility overlapping sloppily.

This, of course, is simply in comparison. For a modern switch, they are still very nice, and I am not trying to convince anyone to not get them a try. It is just not the same as the old alps.

They also feel more bindy as well, but I forgive it for that. Alps have always been a bit bindy in comparison to cherry, regardless of the manufacturer. I have come to actually kind of like it in a strange way.

FYI, I ended up pulling the quiet pro switches, and putting in vintage SKCM white switches(archetypal with slits). Ah... much better.

The quiet pro switches aren't bad, but I feel too much is sacrificed in the name of silence.I assume the tactile pro would be more up my alley, but that was not the switch I chose.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:07:54 by rich1051414 »

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #5885 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 16:10:08 »
Dude, nice! The DT wiki for the K108 could maybe use a little updating with this information then! Thats a lovely board!
It's done. I'll take a top picture of it later and add to the wiki page.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Monterey_K108
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline N6NG

« Reply #5886 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:19:59 »
Here are some fun Alps keycaps:
Show Image

Show Image

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but does anyone know if these are SKCC or SKCL/SKCM?
IBM Model M
29JAN87
   IBM Pingmaster
   NeXT Non-ADB AAE
Focus FK-2000 Plus
SGI Granite (Rubberdome)

Offline E3E

« Reply #5887 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:43:59 »
Show Image

Show Image

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but does anyone know if these are SKCC or SKCL/SKCM?

They're SKEW, or Alps integrated domes.

Offline N6NG

« Reply #5888 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 11:44:23 »
Show Image

Show Image

Great! Looks like I've finally found a keycap donor!
I've been hunting for spherical alps caps since Multistation boards seem impossible to find. With Yamaha MSX keycaps I'll only be missing a 1.75u shift, 1.5 backslash key (most likely a second tab key), and an ansi enter.
Or, if I could find a spherical bigass enter I could kill two birds with one stone, but that's even more impossible.
IBM Model M
29JAN87
   IBM Pingmaster
   NeXT Non-ADB AAE
Focus FK-2000 Plus
SGI Granite (Rubberdome)

Offline E3E

« Reply #5889 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 13:22:58 »
Show Image

Show Image

I've been hunting for spherical alps caps since Multistation boards seem impossible to find. With Yamaha MSX keycaps I'll only be missing a 1.75u shift, 1.5 backslash key (most likely a second tab key), and an ansi enter.
Or, if I could find a spherical bigass enter I could kill two birds with one stone, but that's even more impossible.

Yeah, these boards have lovely caps, but I have to inform you that they are not deeply scooped. The "MSX sculpted profile," as I call it, is actually rather flat on the top of the keys, whereas the Multistation's keys, while very similar in profile sculpt, have deep and noticeable scooping, the deepest of any of the Alps spherical profiles, from my experience.

Still, if you're after a good looking set, the MSX sets are amazing aesthetically.

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #5890 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 23:36:49 »
Just took delivery of the Matias Quiet Pro for PC keyboard today.

I LOVE IT!  It's like a modern version of my Apple Extended Keyboard II.  Im a fan of Dampened Alps.

I hope Matias develops more switches and starts making gaming keyboards.

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #5891 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 11:13:43 »
Congrats it really is a solid keyboard. If you remove the rubber dampeners it's more reminiscent of the AEK with Orange Alps.

Offline N6NG

« Reply #5892 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 13:57:10 »
Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, these boards have lovely caps, but I have to inform you that they are not deeply scooped. The "MSX sculpted profile," as I call it, is actually rather flat on the top of the keys, whereas the Multistation's keys, while very similar in profile sculpt, have deep and noticeable scooping, the deepest of any of the Alps spherical profiles, from my experience.

Still, if you're after a good looking set, the MSX sets are amazing aesthetically.

While Multistation caps are the holy grail, period, I just can't find em anywhere. The MSX caps do look very good, but I still worry about not having a full set for a traditional ansi layout. Of course, that hasn't stopped me  ;D I've already been outbid on two arabic MSX machines.
IBM Model M
29JAN87
   IBM Pingmaster
   NeXT Non-ADB AAE
Focus FK-2000 Plus
SGI Granite (Rubberdome)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5893 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:46:32 »
I may post photos in the future, but I just built myself an AEK64 with the oranges I've had sitting on my desk for over a year. I washed and lubed them, and holy hell.... why didn't I do that sooner??

I love my blues and oranges; I think I'll have to complete the trifecta with a linear green.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5894 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 08:21:25 »
Refurbing the SKCM Browns boyos...

Stripped, ultrasonic cleaned, dry-lubed the stems, swapped for the springs -- 70cN and 85cN for the space.

Sadly only managed to source 58 of these, but need 60 for my planned build / layout. Fortunately I have a locking switch for Caps Lock that I've been eager to use, and I'm subbing-in an SKCM Orange in a lesser used key.

The board should be finished soon, just soldering the PCB, so will post more photos soon.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5895 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 08:43:31 »
Refurbing the SKCM Browns boyos...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stripped, ultrasonic cleaned, dry-lubed the stems, swapped for the springs -- 70cN and 85cN for the space.

Sadly only managed to source 58 of these, but need 60 for my planned build / layout. Fortunately I have a locking switch for Caps Lock that I've been eager to use, and I'm subbing-in an SKCM Orange in a lesser used key.

The board should be finished soon, just soldering the PCB, so will post more photos soon.

That's some mighty finger strength you got there. Most of SKCM Browns' resistance are from the bumps, now on top of that you add spring resistance.

Cant wait to see the end product. Keep us posted.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5896 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:12:25 »

That's some mighty finger strength you got there.

Aren't replacement springs measured at bottom-out rather than actuation?

And where did you get those? I would love to have some myself.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #5897 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:15:31 »

Yes they are and you can find replacement springs in Sprit's storefront on ebay here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRiT-24K-Gold-Springs-Cherry-ALPS-DIY-GH60-MX-Vintage-Keyboard-2-Sets/222772521124?

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5898 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 09:18:57 »

I believe sprit still sells them on ebay, search for "alps springs" I think.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5899 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:03:19 »
^^ What they said ;)

Yep, they're rated at bottom-out weight I believe, as they don't really feel any heavier than stock, apart from the space bar, but I'm using a 7u space on this build so wanted a little big more weight. The switches were in decent condition when they arrived but I do like to use new gold spring whenever I'm cleaning and rebuilding.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff