Author Topic: As we're going into the 2nd half of 2016 what keyboards/caps are in your sights?  (Read 16194 times)

Offline dante

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 12:15:59 by dante »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
i have got to get some JPN Alps compatible caps. been my year long vex ... i may have secured them but not sure waiting on a PM back.

update: i'm building all my own boards and hand wireing them. waiting on my friend to dig into QMK for bluetooth and Assignable LED support.

FPS game pad/macro pad - full build materials in bound.

70% keyboard (end game?) - full build

JD40 - need to finish case

Van - have PCB need to make case
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 09:55:35 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
A ZZ96 would be cool for work, maybe a Kustom TKL for home too.

I already have too many keysets so I'm trying to stay away from ordering any of those though.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Honestly at this point I'm good.

Nothing is getting my attention lately.

Offline raymogi

I'm just waiting for my Classic Retro set.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline FoxWolf1

Nothing right now, and likely to remain that way.

Would take a lot to get me to consider downgrading to a contact-based switch, which eliminates most things. A well-implemented TrackPoint might do it, if the keyboard meets my requirements for size (full) and rollover (lots). As for more advanced switches, well, if Wooting ever gets around to making a full-size Flaretech board, I might take a look. That's really all I can think of at the moment, though.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
I'm on the lookout for a mint or near-mint ZKB-2 and a mint or near-mint gold-label OmniKey. Hopefully I can score some of that ^^ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Like dante, I'm waiting on feedback from round 1 before buying in for a F77.

Other than that, I'm watching the Mira slowly take shape. Hopefully it doesn't hit any more snags.

I'm also waiting on the GH36, whenever it gets off the ground, but I don't necessarily expect that to happen this year.

In terms of caps, I'm going to pick up Carbon GMK. It would take something pretty special to get me to buy another cap set at this point. I already think I'm going to sell some of the ones I have.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline emdude

My interest in the hobby has been waning a bit lately, especially now that I am ramping down on my purchases, but my main projects have all yet to be completed.. :confused:

I've got:

- Two Alps64 builds in limbo: one w/ SKCM Blues and another w/ SKCM Browns, I haven't even desoldered the switches nor have I drawn up the custom plate for the latter yet.

- An AEK's worth of SKCM Oranges in a jar, not sure what I am going to do with these.  I miiight get in on BlueNalgene's Alps Party TKL GB and use them for that.

- Somewhat unrelated, but I also need to clean up my other IBM display terminals and keyboards, they're still sitting in my shed right now. :-[

Matias 60%: LOL.  Matias keeps logging in but not saying anything.  Seems to be a recent grad of the KUL-Unicomp school of marketing.

Ha! :rolleyes:
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Realforce 23UB
Carbon GMK
EnjoyPBT light/beige blanks, + CMY blanks

thas it for now.

MORE ARTISANS TEW

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Boards I might want:

pretty much any alps boards with an interesteing layout
SKCM brown or SKCM lime
f122 or unsaver if mine from berserkfan order never surfaces
maybe a 4704 board kish or 107

all of these are contingent on price and how wallethacked I am.

Projects I want to finish:

Finish my custom white alps tkl
Finish my blue alps omnikey conversion
Get a wheelwriter m working on a pc

Its alot of work to be done and alot of money to be spent, but I love it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
I only know of neon green Alps, what is this lime of which you speak?

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
Waiting on Xondat's board... and that's about it...

Offline emdude

They are one and the same.  There's been a bit of disagreement over what to call them, at least a while back.

I think people have settled on calling them SKCM Limes though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
When I turn my head to the left, there are four banana boxes full of keyboards in my sights. I *really* need to sort through them.

I kinda want to get FalbaTech's GH60 though.

Offline Data

Chocolatier SA
Yuri SA
Maybe MIRA TKL

Looking forward to taking delivery of GMK Skeletor, VE.A, and Infinity Ergodox rev B in a few months and hoping there's some movement on the stalled Toxic GB too.  :thumb:

Edit: taking not talking...
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 13:34:14 by Data »

Offline QuincyJones

Another version of an IBM Model M that chyros doesn't own.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Really hoping to get a HHKB BT with lubed rails and purple sliders. I'm very excited for my custom (X60) to be in my hands which will be HHKB layout with lubed/stickered linears.

I also want to double my Reaper Classic collection from 8 to 16 (currently up to 11 with trades). Keyset wise, GMK Hyperfuse and perhaps a SA set to see how that feels (mainly Carbon, Jukebox or Danger Zone.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

They are one and the same.  There's been a bit of disagreement over what to call them, at least a while back.

Show Image

As the one who gave all the initial info on them, they're neon greens.

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
I've finally approached the point where I am satisfied with what I have and aren't looking to trade/acquire anything else right now (unless something new comes out that I absolutely would want). I started this hobby just this year (and really got into it aggressively around the March time frame) so finally being able to sit back and relax feels extremely nice :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
WASD Code + Filco Doubleshots (maaaybe ISO I haven't decided yet)

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Half a dozen projects in boxes waiting for their turns at the work bench.

F AT-ANSI  with Alt has been on the waiting list longest, probably 2 years, XTant is probably pushing a year, the perennial steampunk F-122 that has not yet gelled into an actual design .....

2 full-size Alps projects that will require taking apart switches and cleaning, rebuilding, and possibly modding them - still waiting to feel good about having found *just the right* lubricant.

But another great kit will probably fall into my lap before I make much of a dent in the list above!

I have pretty much everything solid on hand for these projects, they are mostly only waiting on time and energy.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Really looking to get into topre. So far have only tried Mx!

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline emdude

Show Image

Ah, sorry, the discussion I was referring to took place on DT, for the switch's wiki article, see here: https://deskthority.net/wiki-talk-f33/alps-skcm-neon-green-t13071.html

I am personally partial to Lime. :p

EDIT: I see you have actually participated in that thread.  Well, folks like E3E and Chryos have settled on SKCM Lime as well.  You're free to keep calling them Neon Greens though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 18:13:26 by emdude »

Offline Hypersphere

Fohat expressed my feelings on this quite well. Like him, I have quite a number of projects waiting in the wings, including several DIY kits and a larger number of refurbishing/converting projects. If/when I get at least some of these projects completed, I need to fulfill the promise to my wife to start selling some of these keyboards!

I've ordered an F62 and F77. Depending on how these work out, and after taking a look at the new compact cases,  i might spring for another F62 in a compact case.

I am also still waiting for some GB keycap sets to be delivered -- I feel like a character out of Casablanca waiting for my exit visa to materialize.  ;)

Offline Aran.E99

projects that i feel the sudden urge to do as of 2016:
-rebuild a chicony kb-5181 that has missing switches
-making a custom chicony kb-5161 that will require 101 alps switches (yay! desoldering and more soldering!  :blank: ) i'm also going to change LED colours, install some arrow and F key LEDs etc to make it look snazzy
-making my own keycaps because i can't afford actually good ones (1st world problems)
-finishing the code off for my complete scratch-built 44 key (some keys don't register, FN layer doesn't work)
-cleaning a dell AT102w

-Aran
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

Show Image

Ah, sorry, the discussion I was referring to took place on DT, for the switch's wiki article, see here: https://deskthority.net/wiki-talk-f33/alps-skcm-neon-green-t13071.html

EDIT: I see you have actually participated in that thread.  Well, folks like E3E and Chryos have settled on SKCM Lime as well.  You're free to keep calling them Neon Greens though.
Show Image

I only use Lime because other people didn't like Neon Green :p . I still prefer Neon Green, and I'm glad Nubs agrees :p .

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
More

Show Image

Show Image

Like I said, I claim naming rights since I found the switches and my DT and GH threads are the two main ones for the wiki.

Neon Green is also far more color accurate than lime.

Offline emdude

Show Image

Show Image

I only use Lime because other people didn't like Neon Green :p . I still prefer Neon Green, and I'm glad Nubs agrees :p .

Haha, well thanks for clarifying.  SKCM Neon Green doesn't quite roll off the tongue though. :p

So, it's Project NG, then? :))

EDIT: Actually, I think I prefer the original name, Green, most, since the SKCM designation adds that necessary distinction.  But perhaps that is something I should take to that DT thread. :P
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 19:11:48 by emdude »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
I am actually going to get rid of some keyboards.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
I think I'll try and stick to blue and pink artisans and keysets

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.

Show Image

Show Image

Haha, well thanks for clarifying.  SKCM Neon Green doesn't quite roll off the tongue though. :p

So, it's Project NG, then? :))

EDIT: Actually, I think I prefer the original name, Green, most, since the SKCM designation adds that necessary distinction.  But perhaps that is something I should take to that DT thread. :P
Some people misname SKCL green as SKCM green — they might not even know SKCL exists since most Alps switches are SKCM. Also, SKCM green doesn't stand out as much in a text as SKCM neon green; it's easy to read over it. SKCM is definitely the worst name for it. I'd rather call it SKCM Monkey Diarrhoea.

Offline tacnificent

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
one less hhkb for me
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline kawasaki161

I don't know tbh.
I really want a new Model F with the small case and maybe a Duck Blackbird, but those are soooo f*ing expensive especially for someone that sits in the Limbo between just having finished school and waiting to start with university, which means it's basically impossible to get a job for that short timespan that does not just comletely gut you out.
I'm also interested in GMK Skeletor and the Modern Beige Purple Cyan Japanese sets, but again: money, money, money.
I also want to create something mech related in the near future and run a GB for it, but then again depending on what it will be prototyping costs are easily through the roof and I'd also have to find out how any possible profit would have to be handled to not break any laws.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Realforce 23UB
Carbon GMK
EnjoyPBT light/beige blanks, + CMY blanks

thas it for now.

MORE ARTISANS TEW
I bought the rf pad last night lul

Sent from my OnePlus III

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
one less hhkb for me
Gib

Sent from my OnePlus III

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
Kinda want to get a dedicated set for my Planck too

Offline zslane

1. Top on my list is receiving my massive Round 6 keycap order. Space Cadet in particular.

2. Next would be giving the forthcoming Topre MX-stemmed RealForce board a try.

3. Third would be SA Dasher/Dancer, though that will probably end up being a 2017 thing, cuz MassDrop...

Last but not least, I have to set aside a day this year to turn my IBM model M into a molten slag of plastic and metal.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
I may buy another Magicforce, one with backlighting and Gateron blues, then convert it to Jailhouse blues. Should be almost the perfect keyboard. Not sure on caps, double shot, double thick PBT would be ideal, but not sure if that exists quite yet. I also want to get ahold of an Alps and a Topre board to try, and maybe one of the new  low profile switches (Gateron?)

Ultimately though, I want to build a custom keyboard.
Aluminum base and plate, no top, and as thin and narrow as possible, the Vortex case is massive, I want this to be small, thin and light like the Magicforce, just nicer looking and aluminum. I want a layout similar to the Magicforce but possibly with an Fkey row, I'm undecided  on that. Backlit, Gateron blues, jailhoused and probably the same caps as above, even if only single wall.  I may just try and cast the stock Magicforce base in aluminum as it's already a fantastic keyboard, the stabs stink so either switch to real Cherry stabs or mill it for Costar stabs. With the price of the basic Magicforce, I can afford to trash a few before it gets costly. While that solves a lot of other issues, it leaves me with a stock looking plate and no key cutouts, so I may just engineer a new plate and have someone waterjet or mill it for me. Done right, I could use the Magicforce pcb, unless I decide I want Alps, Topre, or the new low profile Gaterons(?).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline richard912

I'm waiting for the GMK carbon keycaps currently on MD to be delivered (before end October?). Will go very nicely with my Varmilo VA87M with MX clear and orange LED

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
I decided to buy in to the i-Rocks Fun K76M just for ****s and giggles. Whether or not it is actually a good keyboard is TBD but I figure that worse comes to worst I am not out that much and I have a LEGO-compatible keyboard. Blargh, I wish more keyboards were LEGO-compatible :(

Offline E3E

More

Show Image

Show Image

Like I said, I claim naming rights since I found the switches and my DT and GH threads are the two main ones for the wiki.

Neon Green is also far more color accurate than lime.

I was fine with Neon Green, but people wanted to be more democratic about it, and between SKCM Jade, Emerald, Green, Neon Green, and Lime, it was SKCM Lime that won out. My personal favorite was Emerald or Jade, but hey. Lime won out. The fruity name is a little silly, but it was the majority pref.

SKCM Jade to go with SKCM Amber would've been cool, but I guess people don't care to be thematic. :P A complaint against Neon Green was that it was too long of a name.

Most formally, I'd just call it SKCM Green, because that is what it is at its most basic, but I HAVE seen many people, even CPT himself say SKCM Green while meaning SKCL Green.

SKCM Jade is probably my favorite.

Also, as I've said before, the posts about an Alps DKSaver on eBay date back to 2013, and THOSE were the first sightings of SKCM Green on any English-speaking keyboard forum that I know of. No one even seemed to notice that the keyswitches were not SKCL Green, despite the description of the listing clearly saying they were tactile. They likely failed to notice since the topic revolved around its high price and not its switches, so people were blinded while talking **** on the board. :P

That said, you were the first to go a bit more into detail with them and are why I even knew about the Docutechs and have mine today.

In all fairness, the guy who built that board was probably one of the first if not -the- first to discover them in the enthusiast community.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 03:40:32 by E3E »

Offline E3E

As far as what I'm looking forward to this year, probably nothing. I'm happy with all of my boards.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I'm keen to see what JTK set will come up next.

I've heard rumours of some interesting sets on the horizon, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline graefeln

Looking forward to receiving Weaven and Skeletor and throwing that together. Also look to see what Zeal is bringing in August and perhaps doing something with that, along with possibly his linear pink - nothing really planned there, but I'm open to the possibility.

Offline Aricil

More than I have money for, that's for damn sure. I'm mostly interested in the Skeletor group buy. Then my two boards I have now I'm very content with but at some point I'd like to get a gateron linear (either yellows or reds, but leaning towards yellows), and I also want to try a buckling spring keyboard as well as an alps based keyboard. I may end up getting a Matias KBParadise at some point. I'd also really love to get one of those new model F keyboards but if I'm not mistaken you can only buy them for a little while longer and the cheapest one with keycaps is close to 400 dollars so I don't think I'll be getting one. The sad thing is, if I miss out on it now, I may never be able to get a Model F in a form factor I like ever again.
Professional amateur.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Most likely a Realforce TKL and some artisans/key cap sets.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
LZ MOTHER FKIN SQ IS ON MY SIGHT and the new kishsaver but I'm waiting for review first

and for keycaps I think originativePBT and the WoB keycaps from effectiveduck

and 1 more time

LZ SQ PLS HELP ME GET IT
PLZ

Offline E3E

LZ MOTHER FKIN SQ IS ON MY SIGHT and the new kishsaver but I'm waiting for review first

and for keycaps I think originativePBT and the WoB keycaps from effectiveduck

and 1 more time

LZ SQ PLS HELP ME GET IT
PLZ

By new Kingsaver, are you talking about Nalgene's Rosa TKL?