Author Topic: HHKB type-s vs Hyphersphere'd HHKB  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Crix79

HHKB type-s vs Hyphersphere'd HHKB
« on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 10:35:15 »
Have you tried them? Which one do you prefer?
Even if you haven't, which one would you suggest?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2017, 16:15:28 by Crix79 »

Offline HenryLamVN

Re: HHKB type-s vs Hyphersphere'd HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 10:38:42 »
I have tried HHKB type-s and i loved it very much and i sold it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline doostin

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 10:55:35 »
I have both. Found that the Type-S was slightly quieter stock. Both are much quieter and more similar when lubed. The Type-S also has slightly longer sliders for increased key travel, but I personally don't notice a difference.

If you're going to take the time to open up a regular HHKB and Hypersphere it, you can also lube the sliders and rails at the same time and save some money. The end result is superior to a stock Type-S, in my opinion. Plus you get the option of a black HHKB. All keys except for the stabilized ones on my stock Type-S felt pretty gritty, so I had to open it up to lube it anyway.

Offline cumwagondeluxe

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 11:45:23 »
I have both. Found that the Type-S was slightly quieter stock. Both are much quieter and more similar when lubed. The Type-S also has slightly longer sliders for increased key travel, but I personally don't notice a difference.

If you're going to take the time to open up a regular HHKB and Hypersphere it, you can also lube the sliders and rails at the same time and save some money. The end result is superior to a stock Type-S, in my opinion. Plus you get the option of a black HHKB. All keys except for the stabilized ones on my stock Type-S felt pretty gritty, so I had to open it up to lube it anyway.

Hasn't the slider thing been debunked? AFAIK only the silenced Realforce sliders are longer to compensate for the rubber padding

Offline doostin

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 11:59:31 »

Hasn't the slider thing been debunked? AFAIK only the silenced Realforce sliders are longer to compensate for the rubber padding

Some say they're longer, some say they're the same. Picture below suggests they're longer, but as I said earlier I don't really notice a difference. However some say that they do notice and I will respect that.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 13:19:45 »

Some say they're longer, some say they're the same. Picture below suggests they're longer, but as I said earlier I don't really notice a difference. However some say that they do notice and I will respect that.

Show Image

Is this due to variation (standard deviation; each of the sliders of the normal or the quiet may vary) or really a difference across all sliders?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline doostin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 13:25:48 »

Show Image

Is this due to variation (standard deviation; each of the sliders of the normal or the quiet may vary) or really a difference across all sliders?

The picture isn't mine, but I believe they're different across all sliders. There have been changes between different revisions of each model and that may be why differences exist but I guess we won't know for sure unless we have several of each.

Offline zutroy

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 15:00:44 »
Have you tried them? What you prefer?
Even if you haven't, what would you suggest?

I've never tried a Type-S HHKB, but I did Hypersphere and lube my HHKB, and it makes a huge difference—the lube perhaps more than the Hyperspheres, both in terms of feel and sound (to me, the lube increases resistance when pressing keys in a good way and enhances the nice Topre thock sound).

The one thing I have noticed about Hyperspheres on large modifier keys (shift, enter, and delete, primarily) is that they create a very faint buzzing/vibrating sound when these keys are released. It's so faint, that you almost have to hold your ear near the key when you press it, but if it's very quiet in the room I can hear it as I type normally. Just a hypothesis, but I feel like it may have something to do with the size of these keys creating a kind of echo chamber that amplifies the sound of the ring hitting the bottom of the plate on the upstroke (it's only on the upstroke—when releasing the key—that I can hear the noise). I'm curious if Type-S rings have this same kind of buzzing/vibrating sound.

Offline Crix79

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 16:10:17 »

Well, and which do you prefer once they are both lubed?

Offline doostin

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 19:01:56 »

The Type-S, but honestly there is very little if any difference. If I had known all this before buying either one, I'd probably just buy the regular HHKB and Hypershpere/lube it just to save money.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 January 2017, 19:05:52 »

The Type-S, but honestly there is very little if any difference. If I had known all this before buying either one, I'd probably just buy the regular HHKB and Hypershpere/lube it just to save money.

Where did you lube your sliders and what lube and what tool did you use?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline doostin

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 01:59:38 »

I used premixed Krytox GPL 206/1506 (thin formula) and a small brush. I lubed the legs of the sliders as well as the area that they travel along in the housing. Image below highlights the area on the housing.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 06:02:29 »

I used premixed Krytox GPL 206/1506 (thin formula) and a small brush. I lubed the legs of the sliders as well as the area that they travel along in the housing. Image below highlights the area on the housing.

Show Image

What kind of difference do you notice in feel/sound? Do you really FEEL it?

Offline doostin

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 11:15:34 »

Yes, the difference in feel is substantial. Before it was lubed, the stabilized keys were much smoother than the other keys since they come with thick lube applied. Without lube on the sliders of the other keys, they are much grittier/rougher.

As for sound, the Type-S is already pretty quiet but lubing it made it even quieter.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 January 2017, 11:17:28 by doostin »

Offline robbles

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 17:04:06 »
I really suggest everyone try lubed and unsilenced HHKB before plunging for Hypersphere rings or the Type-S. Lubing does a lot to quiet the board as it dampens the scratchy friction sound on the down and up stroke. For my purposes, lubing silenced the board enough.

I have Hypersphere rings and used them for almost a year before removing them. They really take away from the overall snappy feeling of Topre. They nearly make the switch feel linear and lighter overall. To compare only the feeling of tactility, silenced Topre is like Cherry Brown and stock is Cherry Clear. I do miss the shorter key travel but I will probably get used to it.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 15:54:42 »

Yes, the difference in feel is substantial. Before it was lubed, the stabilized keys were much smoother than the other keys since they come with thick lube applied. Without lube on the sliders of the other keys, they are much grittier/rougher.

As for sound, the Type-S is already pretty quiet but lubing it made it even quieter.

What are you doing to me man! Now I want Type-S + lube it. so many wishes so little moneys... **sigh**