Author Topic: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...  (Read 49324 times)

Offline Polymer

Re: I'm REALLY trying to like Topre...
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 09:15:59 »
I would suggest you try out other switch types. Topre lovers will tell you they love Topre, but as you can see, there's a lot of people who don't appreciate Topre and they are the large majority and I quite doubt if we are all idiots.

They are in the majority?  In what context? 

Out of all keyboard users globally?  Depends on what you're referring to by appreciate but just like/dislike..no..
Out of all keyboard users here?  Maybe..
Out of all keyboard users that have actually used Topre more than a few hours?  Probably not...

Not to mention liking/disliking Topre has absolutely NOTHING with being or not being an idiot...

Offline zslane

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 10:40:20 »
I understand where dantan is coming from though. I feel the same way towards all the people who get a massive hard-on for IBM Model Ms, Fs, and SSKs (and all their clones).

Offline Polymer

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 09 April 2017, 15:40:22 »
Not sure anyone would feel like an idiot for their keyboard preferences...

People get overzealous about stuff because it is online and they can...

But one thing I think is funny is the number of people who talk about something with very little experience (or none) in the matter.  Most of the Topre haters haven't even tried it or have with very little experience....

Offline dante

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 12:20:17 »
OK I'm going to settle this once and for all.  I still think the Plum 87 35g is a good board but I'm going to put it to the test.

MassDrop is currently running a drop for a 91 JIS layout 30g silent uniform board.  I'll run it past the decision maker if I can't snag it or not.

Offline zslane

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 15:55:47 »
I still think the Plum 87 35g is a good board but I'm going to put it to the test.

I kind of feel that whether or not a board is a "good board" is largely going to be governed by personal preferences and expectations. I don't like my Noppoo 35g board and don't consider it a terribly good one just on the basis of build quality alone. But my biggest beef is with the claim that it has Topre-like tactility, when in my experience it has MX silent red-like tactility, which is to say none at all. I mean, even if I liked the idea of a linear rubber dome switch, it wasn't what I expected or wanted from the Noppoo, hence the disappointment.

I recently took a chance on a Plum 75 45g board (am still waiting for it to arrive from across the Pacific ocean) in the hopes that it will be reasonably similar to my RealForce RGB or my NovaTouch, both of which are 45g. My concern is that I'll have to replace the dome sheet with the 55g variant in order to get something closer to a real Topre switch's 45g feel.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 05:44:53 »
PS Anyone interested in buying a 45g realforce? :)

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Severe

• HHKB Zealot
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:03:24 »
I might be persuaded
HHKB Pro 2 Black Lubed 55g
Logitech G502 (Gaming) Logitech MX Master 2 (Day to day)

Offline dante

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 19:35:56 »
I still think the Plum 87 35g is a good board but I'm going to put it to the test.

I kind of feel that whether or not a board is a "good board" is largely going to be governed by personal preferences and expectations. I don't like my Noppoo 35g board and don't consider it a terribly good one just on the basis of build quality alone. But my biggest beef is with the claim that it has Topre-like tactility, when in my experience it has MX silent red-like tactility, which is to say none at all. I mean, even if I liked the idea of a linear rubber dome switch, it wasn't what I expected or wanted from the Noppoo, hence the disappointment.

I recently took a chance on a Plum 75 45g board (am still waiting for it to arrive from across the Pacific ocean) in the hopes that it will be reasonably similar to my RealForce RGB or my NovaTouch, both of which are 45g. My concern is that I'll have to replace the dome sheet with the 55g variant in order to get something closer to a real Topre switch's 45g feel.

Hopefully some day you'll have the opportunity to try the Hansung Gtune 62g.  I would be very interested to know what you think of it.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 19:47:59 »
seeing this thread title triggers me. havent even read through the thread.

Offline zslane

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 20:58:22 »
Hopefully some day you'll have the opportunity to try the Hansung Gtune 62g.  I would be very interested to know what you think of it.

Is there a 60% version of it?

Offline dante

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 20:59:04 »

Is there a 60% version of it?

Nope.  Plum isn't really pushing their 60% board much.  Only 35g and 45g for that one.

People in China need to start adding more US beef to their diet.  What's with all these lightweight switch options!?

Offline Severe

• HHKB Zealot
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 21:05:48 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

Wrong + Wrong = Wrong

I bought my HHKB boards  because of the layout. And told myself I would deal with the topre switches having never tried them. When I got my first HHKB I realized that it was like having the supple butt cheek of a Brazilian women's volleyball player under each keycap. Now I only use topre after having. Oarxs with MX blues reds and blacks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 00:54:57 »
I'm convinced people who claim Topre feels drastically different to standard rubber domes either have broken fingers or are 100% about the hype.

Wrong + Wrong = Wrong

I bought my HHKB boards  because of the layout. And told myself I would deal with the topre switches having never tried them. When I got my first HHKB I realized that it was like having the supple butt cheek of a Brazilian women's volleyball player under each keycap. Now I only use topre after having. Oarxs with MX blues reds and blacks.

This is the problem right here..   Topre owners REFUSE to accept the fact that they've paid $200 for a rather ordinary keyboard..

Not a bad keyboard , just ordinary..

The dissonance between what they've paid and topre's mediocrity is what persistently clash at the forum..

It's all in your head man..   

Offline zslane

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 01:02:09 »
Naw, man, I spent $250 for an ordinary board and then spent another $200 making it AWESOME!

That's what we do here. We tweak and hack the ordinary to make it extraordinary.

(How is this dude so clueless?)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 01:39:28 »
Naw, man, I spent $250 for an ordinary board and then spent another $200 making it AWESOME!

That's what we do here. We tweak and hack the ordinary to make it extraordinary.

(How is this dude so clueless?)

No, what you've done is called  -Loss chasing-

You lost money, because the product you've purchased does not reflect the price you paid.

So instead of hands off,  you couldn't walk away,  and decided to put yet more money into the hole..

Offline drewafx

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 04:03:05 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2022, 22:43:09 by drewafx »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 06:59:00 »
This is the problem right here..   Topre owners REFUSE to accept the fact that they've paid $200 for a rather ordinary keyboard..

Not a bad keyboard , just ordinary..

The dissonance between what they've paid and topre's mediocrity is what persistently clash at the forum..
It's all in your head man..

You keep spouting that..already been proven wrong..you won't respond to this because I'm right.

Topre boards end up being maybe marginally more expensive than other boards and in a lot of cases, LESS expensive.   Not to mention you can resell at close to cost (which you can't really say for retail MX boards) so your whole dissonance argument really doesn't hold any water.

What I generally seem to find is beginners tend to think $200 is really expensive for a keyboard and see it is made with rubber domes so they try to dismiss it and convince them it can't be that good even though plenty of other people think it is.  They go buy their $100 MX keyboard...only to realize it isn't really what they want...they change switches, buy keycaps, whatever.  They realize that same MX keyboard with quality keycaps (like what comes with a Topre board) is $200 or more.  Or they buy MX keyboards that even without keycaps cost them $200.  Now they're stuck having to justify their buy or they come to realize, $200 isn't that much for Topre, maybe I'll give it a try.  Most people that seem to give it a fair try tend to keep it...some people that have only tried it for a few hours (like yourself) tend to not really get it because they haven't used it enough.  Not surprising that certain individuals fall into that category. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 11:16:00 »

You lost money, because the product you've purchased does not reflect the price you paid.

So instead of hands off,  you couldn't walk away,  and decided to put yet more money into the hole..

Not if you are using the product as the basis for a custom build project. It's like buying a stock Mazda Miata and then turning it into a race car. The final result will cost far more than the "product you've purchased," but since Mazda doesn't make race cars, that's is how you do it. That's not "loss chasing," that's customizing.

Topre doesn't make a Space Cadet keyboard like I want, but they do make a keyboard capable of being the underlying basis for it (in fact, they are the only company that does). The rest is up to me.

(Why am I feeding the troll? I should really know better...)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 12:39:41 »

Not if you are using the product as the basis for a custom build project. It's like buying a stock Mazda Miata and then turning it into a race car. The final result will cost far more than the "product you've purchased," but since Mazda doesn't make race cars, that's is how you do it. That's not "loss chasing," that's customizing.

Topre doesn't make a Space Cadet keyboard like I want, but they do make a keyboard capable of being the underlying basis for it (in fact, they are the only company that does). The rest is up to me.

(Why am I feeding the troll? I should really know better...)

No, Topre is a ford cobalt.. they're trying to be fancy, but it's so obviously an ordinary car..

Offline Severe

• HHKB Zealot
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 23:37:46 »
Here is what a lot of people miss when we get into E-Peen measuring contests online over our preferred this or that. All that matters is that the end user is happy.

As an example: A good friend of mine works at an Aston Martin dealership. The average Aston Martin has 5000 miles per year of usage. Most users baby it because it's expensive regardless of the cost of the car in relation to their income. But he has a client who puts on average 22,000 miles on his Aston per year. While most Aston owners scoff at this, he spent his money and he enjoys it the way he wants to.

point of the story is: we have all spent hundreds of dollars on something that we could have spent 15 on and got the exact same result, text input on a screen. What we choose to overspend on is all personal preference. For instance I would rather type on a cheeto stained 2008 dell keyboard than Cherry MX Blues. But I also just ordered another HHKB just for the blank keycaps because they were out of the black blank keycaps sets online, so take that for whatever it's worth

Offline dante

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 08:31:37 »
But I also just ordered another HHKB just for the blank keycaps because they were out of the black blank keycaps sets online

DAMN SON.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 21:05:08 »
Here is what a lot of people miss when we get into E-Peen measuring contests online over our preferred this or that. All that matters is that the end user is happy.

100% TRUE.

Websites such as Geekhack, DT, OCN and Reddit are all for losers wanting to show their E-peens everywhere, so as to impress no-bodies about what they have in their possession.  First rule in the internet world, ignore what everyone says, all except DETAILS relating to your chosen keyboard interest.

There is NO one alive who knows what is the absolute BEST keyboard to use let alone to own because when I was young all the old folks were plain WRONG about everything until of course I reached their age, but that's another boring story no one shall be forced to endure here.

Just find all the specifics relating to what you want in a keyboard, then pursue it online to get even more informed about it's switches and construction.  Hopefully you will be happy in your first keyboard purchase or become like us SAD bastards, always spending money on more keyboards to find out if it's the ONE.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 21:35:00 »

100% TRUE.

Websites such as Geekhack, DT, OCN and Reddit are all for losers wanting to show their E-peens everywhere, so as to impress no-bodies about what they have in their possession.  First rule in the internet world, ignore what everyone says, all except DETAILS relating to your chosen keyboard interest.

There is NO one alive who knows what is the absolute BEST keyboard to use let alone to own because when I was young all the old folks were plain WRONG about everything until of course I reached their age, but that's another boring story no one shall be forced to endure here.

Just find all the specifics relating to what you want in a keyboard, then pursue it online to get even more informed about it's switches and construction.  Hopefully you will be happy in your first keyboard purchase or become like us SAD bastards, always spending money on more keyboards to find out if it's the ONE.

Once you get to my age,  you will realize.. you're wrong,  your keyboard sux, and that your wrist hurts from using such inferior keyboards for so long.

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 09:27:55 »
Once you get to my age,  you will realize.. you're wrong,  your keyboard sux, and that your wrist hurts from using such inferior keyboards for so long.
That's when you realized there was only one solution :D:

Just when I think this thread is out of steam there's a spurt of activity.

Offline dante

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:07:44 »
FWIW the vendor on Ebay selling Plum dome sheets now has a 65g option.

Say what you will about the "clones" they aren't sitting still.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 April 2017, 11:53:19 by dante »

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 11:36:39 »
I like reading certain people's subjective view of the matter but then attempt to portray them as objective truths. This isn't a forum issue, this is a human issue. Low capability to critically think and understanding without compartmentalizing.

To call Topre ordinary would involve a principle, but regardless if you see ****ty membrane keyboards as the "standard" or even MX, Topre is still, objectively, not ordinary.

Mimicked by few, and poorly executed at that. Ordinary, within mechanical keyboards, would be to have a design that is commonly reproduced by multiple outlets. (sounds a lot like a certain switch)

I would also not apply the Sunk Cost fallacy to a hobby (loss chasing? We aren't gambling.), especially mechanical keyboards, simply because of the different permutations that can be achieved, and that purchases are not made FOR value.

My HHKB is by far the best keyboard I have ever had. It has all the specifics that I wanted from a keyboard that I could not find in anything else. Cost was never an issue to me as I would be willing to spend double for my perfect keyboard. Bringing "cost" in as a factor is subjective to that person, just because you don't see value doesn't mean it can't exist.

Oh and Ford doesn't make the Cobalt, Chevy does, and if you think a Cobalt is a fancy car then you must be the epitome of basic.

Offline dante

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 11:56:30 »
Mimicked implies that they are worse than the competition.  There have been several people who have come forward and stated that Plums are more comfortable typing experiences; it's unsure whether to say that is from the domes or springs or combination there of.

These last few years have been really exciting.  It is quite possible that someone like jchan may figure out the domes secret sauce and in a few years we could all be typing on open source electro-caps with home made custom domes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 17:53:40 »
I like reading certain people's subjective view of the matter but then attempt to portray them as objective truths. This isn't a forum issue, this is a human issue. Low capability to critically think and understanding without compartmentalizing.

My HHKB is by far the best keyboard I have ever had. It has all the specifics that I wanted from a keyboard that I could not find in anything else. Cost was never an issue to me as I would be willing to spend double for my perfect keyboard. Bringing "cost" in as a factor is subjective to that person, just because you don't see value doesn't mean it can't exist.

And what evidence have you that your topre-infatuation is objective.. 

All you've got there is    ---Yippie Topre, I like it,  it the best ----

Topre is absolutely ordinary,  propped up only by weeb hype..

The rebound mechanism is not durable, especially inconsistent in the long term..  Not easily replaceable..  and the whole thing -Costs MORE-

Why... ?

Mx-Style switches..

Smooths out and gets better with age

Spring resistance highly consistent.

Readily available replacement parts

Even costs less..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:06:59 »

The rebound mechanism is not durable, especially inconsistent in the long term..  Not easily replaceable..  and the whole thing -Costs MORE-

Why... ?

Mx-Style switches..

Even costs less..

Pretty much this. You know Topre is love. I wouldn't trade Topre for any other board in terms of typing experience. But for critical work (like osu, gaming, counter strike, (semi)-competitive gaming) Topre just doesn't cut it.

For instance, HHKB's (and my 87U) don't have the switches or caps aligned perfectly. So for some two keys there is a larger gap than between two other keys.

Actuation force pressure also varies, quite a lot. Some keys are noticeably easier to press down, some are more difficult.

And then the rebound for me personally isn't consistent at all.

But you know, for non-critical work (everything non-gaming), I love Topre switches because of the feel.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:20:27 »

Why... ?

Mx-Style switches..

Even costs less..

The evidence is easy, you actually strengthen my argument while not even realizing.  :thumb:

The only comment I made specifically for Topre was that they are not ordinary, and I made sure to keep it objective. I would assume you know the definition but that is really hard to judge right now, but Webster can help you with that if needed.

MX switches are ordinary. Replicated by many, and a lot are even better than the OG Cherry. Widely available and without a doubt the most common mech switch. Many permutations because they are so commonly manufactured.

Topre may be simple in design(overall) but PCB design is heavily different and far more intricate, but not to be confused with ordinary. Availability isn't that of MX keyboards and design, feel, and sound are all completely different than MX. So with MX being the most ordinary, this would make Topre anything but ordinary by literal definition. This answers your why.

Everything you said about MX switches and Topre is subjective thoughts that you are attempting to pass as objective truth, once again. Kudos for the attempt to compare MX to Topre though.

Your pointing out what you think are negatives of Topre and comparing them to what you think are positives of MX, this makes absolutely no sense and really shows how weak your argument is... Long-term issues should never be generalized in blanket statements as application and use of keyboard varies from user to user. Not easily replaceable and the objective cost are more reasons it is not ordinary. Cost and Value are different and have everything to do with the topic. From your comments, you think because it cost more it should be "better". This is surface level thinking.. the majority of us are here for the hobby which separates cost from value even more. You see Topre as High Cost, Low Value but again this is subjective, just a mere thought shared by some, the same as some see Topre on the opposite spectrum.

If you don't like something, then good for you and your entitled to your opinion, but lets keep them just that. Opinions.

Offline drewafx

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:26:32 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2022, 22:42:58 by drewafx »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:34:04 »
I honestly think Topre reduces mistyping (more suited for critical work)
It's the way you synchronize your brain with keyboard feedback
That helps you with typos
The gaming (arcade) buttons are meant to be mashed, double tapped quickly without harmony
You control your action without keyboard telling you anything back
With topre my senses are heightened by its S curve force / distance
I'm not just typing away. Keyboard tells me you're about to hit this key and right as it sinks in, it tells me you've just registered it.
It crosses the boundary of yin and yang to bottom and comes back up

It's something subtle only touch typist can recognize. Subcontiously your nerve endings are extended to each key, an extension of body all the way from brain.

I wish there was a scientific study that could explain this phenomenon...engineering and neurology perhaps biomechanics

Beautifully said but I don't think topre has anything to do with the number of typing errors you make. I have 98%ish accuracy on my 55g HHKB and 78g gat clear GON but when I switched to my 45g HHKB Pro 1 my accuracy dropped to 90%ish on the first day due to the lighter weight. My accuracy on the Pro 1 has increased since then but it took some time to adjust to the lighter weight.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:40:51 »

Wrong opinions.

Topre is of poor long term viability because of its use of soft rubber.

It is bad for the same reason as standard sheet-style Rubber dome boards.

Overtime, plasticizers leak/dry out, and the domes harden.

This is unavoidable..   had there been replacement domes available, this might not be such a knock, but there is not..

Numerous reports of domes stiffening over time.. and stiffening at Very inconsistent rates due to different wearlevel of different keys.

And because this is such a soft material to be injection molding, The Density and thickness variation in the process is far greater than that of ABS injection or of other hard plastics.

When you inject soft material rubber even 0.05mm thickness differentiation will lead to significantly different force curve..  This whole resistence design is flawed.. they should not be using rubber cups from the very start.

Topre is NOT simple in design, IN FACT it is over-complicated.. to achieve something very simple on off SPST switching..

How topre feels, how much you like it is subjectivity.

I've never refuted your personal taste, only that your love of topre has no objectivity whatsoever.

You have no argument,   You merely continue to weeb-out..

hahahha

Thoughts shared by others,  Yes because all the 100s of weebs jumping off bridges,  you are correct for taking the plunge..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:46:05 »
Topre is Not a bad keyboard,   but it is not a $200 value by any stretch..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 22:52:46 »

Did that really take 2 posts?  :p

People were paying $5 a switch for SKCM Blues and have paid more for Nixies, really once the hype hits a certain point nothing is as valuable as people would lead you to believe.

I'm sure people could argue that an ergodox doesn't have a $200 value.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:27:58 »

Wrong opinions.

Topre is of poor long term viability because of its use of soft rubber.

It is bad for the same reason as standard sheet-style Rubber dome boards.

Overtime, plasticizers leak/dry out, and the domes harden.

This is unavoidable..   had there been replacement domes available, this might not be such a knock, but there is not..

Numerous reports of domes stiffening over time.. and stiffening at Very inconsistent rates due to different wearlevel of different keys.

And because this is such a soft material to be injection molding, The Density and thickness variation in the process is far greater than that of ABS injection or of other hard plastics.

When you inject soft material rubber even 0.05mm thickness differentiation will lead to significantly different force curve..  This whole resistence design is flawed.. they should not be using rubber cups from the very start.

Topre is NOT simple in design, IN FACT it is over-complicated.. to achieve something very simple on off SPST switching..

How topre feels, how much you like it is subjectivity.

I've never refuted your personal taste, only that your love of topre has no objectivity whatsoever.

You have no argument,   You merely continue to weeb-out..

hahahha

Thoughts shared by others,  Yes because all the 100s of weebs jumping off bridges,  you are correct for taking the plunge..

Why am I being quoted for "wrong opinions" which is something I never said. You really are something else.

You clearly lack the comprehension to understand this conversation for what it is. I specifically stated the 1 objective point I talked about Topre and you are commenting on something completely different. You are taking 1 perceived negative of Topre, increasing your font, and using it as a blanket statement for why Topre is bad. I could easily talk about how MX is inferior to Topre but you don't see me doing that, because that point is moot. You obviously can't understand this judging from your post history and how you comment on everything else. People are allowed to disagree with you, and just because they do you don't need to have a temper tantrum, I expect more from someone who holds so much pride but portrays themselves as a dunce. You call Topre ordinary, yet you continue to talk about how it's so different. You literally have no argument as you contradict yourself constantly while also ranting on about a specific point that no one brought up but yourself.

I advise you to google the term "Compartmentalization". As someone who works in the field of this, it's pretty easy to see, again, judging by your post history and just how you communicate. This is a human flaw, as I said in my first post and not a forum issue. Just because you lack the comprehension to understand things correctly doesn't mean everyone does. We are talking about keyboards, which is virtually 100% personal preference. You taking your subjective thoughts and attempting to pass them off as objective truth is sad and is the reason why users here perceive you as an unintelligent troll. Good luck kid, It was a huge misjudgment on my part to even attempt to help you understand the point of this topic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:38:15 »

Did that really take 2 posts?  :p

People were paying $5 a switch for SKCM Blues and have paid more for Nixies, really once the hype hits a certain point nothing is as valuable as people would lead you to believe.

Lies, Ergodox = Infinity value..

Because I SAID SO....

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:41:20 »

Did that really take 2 posts? 

Because I SAID SO....

I'd believe you if I was sure you aren't a chat bot but I'm still not convinced you're a real person.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #188 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:44:32 »

Kids stuff..  Hai guys, I know one big word.. look how smart I am..

This is the trouble with non-engineers..   They are incapable of breaking down the objects in their life into components and the decisions behind that choice.

Then they get all emotional and talk about how their friends agree with them...

sigh.......

Topre is a functional keyboard..  But it is built around a rotten log.. Soft rubber cups..

In the grand scheme this might not be a huge issue, since the effects of non-uniform resistance on highly proficient typers isn't going to be too-damning..

But to say that its a good product , we really have to go back to the engineering..  And that is where Topre does not measure up to MX.

MX style switches is the most elegant and durable solution available in the current keyboard space..

The Logitech switches are mechanically even better, but obviously those arn't available outside of logitech..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:45:42 »

Because I SAID SO....

I'd believe you if I was sure you aren't a chat bot but I'm still not convinced you're a real person.

What if I put a big words in quotes..  "Compartmentalize"     Am I a real boy now..

hahahahahahahhaa

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:47:25 »

Because I SAID SO....

What if I put a big words in quotes..  "Compartmentalize"     Am I a real boy now..

hahahahahahahhaa
I'm not saying you aren't a crucial part of GH

But I am saying you may not be a real boy

*JQ needs to meet tp in person

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:21:10 »
Defense Mechanism 101, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. You almost had some valid points though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:46:19 »

I'm not saying you aren't a crucial part of GH

But I am saying you may not be a real boy

*JQ needs to meet tp in person

I don't want to be murdered..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 05:10:42 »
Funny, the other day I was talking about self-presentation goals.

Anyway, I think guys it's very easy to summarize Topre, regardless of whom asked or did not asked whom.

Topre feel: personal, but many find it great, myself included. Topre is love.

Topre technical: will not stand the test of time due to rubberdome. Simple as that. Rubber wears out, it hardens. Much people report it. Solution: dome swap or buy another board or just simply don't care.

Topre technical 2: boards are expensive, simply true. Except for custom boards / solder kits / having it soldered for you, right-out-of-box keyboards considered, Topre is amongst the most expensive. People sometimes confuse that with Topre must be the best ever, coz expensive right? But unfortunately their production standards are not always top knotch. Variation in placing of the key caps / switch, noticeable and reported here. Variation in actuation force.

And then you may not like the distinctive Topre feel, how the dome collapses upon activation. You may or may no like the noise. But technical, Topre is not the best of the best of the best. It is, in my opinion if you can ignore the rubber dome hardening out, right up there.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 10:47:45 »
I've watched this thread grow and grow, so I might as well give my two cents.

IMHO Topre keyboards are the mature, refined, upper-class brother of the rubber dome. What I mean by that is: the rubber domes in a topre will never have the perfectly uniform force curve as a true mech. THAT BEING SAID: I have a 55g RF87u and love it. It feels (dare I say) more elegant than some mechs because of the smooth and cushioned feel. Granted, that's not for everyone.

The folks I see that fall in love with topre boards are also the same people who love a good dampened white alps. Just sayin'..
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:02:12 »

IMHO Topre keyboards are the mature, refined, upper-class brother of the rubber dome. What I mean by that is: the rubber domes in a topre will never have the perfectly uniform force curve as a true mech. THAT BEING SAID: I have a 55g RF87u and love it. It feels (dare I say) more elegant than some mechs because of the smooth and cushioned feel. Granted, that's not for everyone.

The folks I see that fall in love with topre boards are also the same people who love a good dampened white alps. Just sayin'..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:30:52 »

That is fine.. you're entitled to LOVE IT as much as you want.

But that love crosses the line, when you come to geekhack and tell people it's a better keyboard because you love it..

No,  a better keyboard is a mechanical matter entirely.

Topre is NOT a mechanically superior keyboard to mx style boards..

If anything it's quite inferior..

So, you can love your ugly dog as much as you want..  But it remains an ugly dog..  and the fact that you love this dog, does not make it any less ugly..

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaa

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:40:27 »

That is fine.. you're entitled to LOVE IT as much as you want.

But that love crosses the line, when you come to geekhack and tell people it's a better keyboard because you love it..

No,  a better keyboard is a mechanical matter entirely.

Topre is NOT a mechanically superior keyboard to mx style boards..

If anything it's quite inferior..

So, you can love your ugly dog as much as you want..  But it remains an ugly dog..  and the fact that you love this dog, does not make it any less ugly..

hahahahahahahahahahahhahaa

Well I did indeed mention topre's faults. It has an inferior force curve and share many of the flawed mechanics as a rubber dome keyboard. I do love mine, but no where did I say it's a better keyboard nor have I ever claimed it's mechanically superior. It's a better keyboard than a rubber dome maybe, but it still has a number of flaws. That being said, a number of people do enjoy the boards, so I wouldn't write it off completely.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 11:50:23 »

Well I did indeed mention topre's faults. It has an inferior force curve and share many of the flawed mechanics as a rubber dome keyboard. I do love mine, but no where did I say it's a better keyboard nor have I ever claimed it's mechanically superior. It's a better keyboard than a rubber dome maybe, but it still has a number of flaws. That being said, a number of people do enjoy the boards, so I wouldn't write it off completely.

We should write them off completely, because they're hipsters who love their ugly dogs..

It is the Same as hipsters who love record players and collecting records..

It's all about WARMTH and BODY of the sound..  and they're completely divorced from the fact that what they're listening to is a Complete misrepresentation of the SOURCE material, of which the whole purpose of reproduction is to mimic..

Hipsters are allowed to Love records..  they are allowed to SAY they love records, and why THEY LIKE IT..

But there is a difference , and we have to clarify that to any prospective keyboard entrants..

Topre is the most confused over popular segment of keyboarding right now..

The goal here is simply to offer clarity.. 

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 12:15:12 »

We should write them off completely, because they're hipsters who love their ugly dogs..

It is the Same as hipsters who love record players and collecting records..

It's all about WARMTH and BODY of the sound..  and they're completely divorced from the fact that what they're listening to is a Complete misrepresentation of the SOURCE material, of which the whole purpose of reproduction is to mimic..

Hipsters are allowed to Love records..  they are allowed to SAY they love records, and why THEY LIKE IT..

But there is a difference , and we have to clarify that to any prospective keyboard entrants..

Topre is the most confused over popular segment of keyboarding right now..

The goal here is simply to offer clarity.. 

Noooo I cannot live without the Topre. What are you doing to me tp? WHyyy!

Although I've just connect my MX Clears board to play osu... double tapping on my 87U isn't really what I hoped for.