Author Topic: The elusive 96key layout  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Demo

The elusive 96key layout
« on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:49:13 »
Forgive me if some of my nomenclature is wrong, fairly knew to the scene. I've tried a few layout styles already and after some thought I feel like the 96key layout is ideal for me (I call it the tanked layout). Doesn't seem like I got a lot of options, CoolerMaster has something close but it doesn't come in my preferred switch. Looking around on the internet I see this DIY kit https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/96-DIY-Kit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Customized-Set-PCB-Case-Plate-Stabilizers-Underglow-RGB-Free-shipping/429151_32733608635.html. While I never did a DIY keyboard before the soldering looks doable. I might be a little rusty now but I used to hustle installs of PSX modchips back when I was in high school so I got some baseline skill with the iron. Whats good for me about that kit is I can use any switch I want and it has RGB which is kinda important to me. Bad things about it seems to be the modes are not well documented and it's not programmable. I'm not sure how big of a deal the programming is since I would only want to change a few things and I don't know how to code anyways and i'm not sure how much time i'm willing to spend learning. Any other options around I should look into? I don't need it fast or anything and i'm willing to spend a decent amount of coin on what I want.

Thanks for reading!

Offline schoolbus

Re: The elusive 96key layout
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:01:34 »
I haven't used that specific board but I would probably avoid it just because it's not programmable and forces you to use a weirder version of the 96 key layout with a 1.75 FN key on the bottom.

Also, IIRC the RGB on that is obnoxious and you can't really adjust it at all (I've seen listings on mechmarket where people simply desoldered the RGB LED's because they were so annoying)

There was a taobao GB recently for the GSX96 which wasn't much more expensive (~95 before shipping) and rectifies all the issues pointed out above- but I don't know if you can still get in on it. If you're willing to put in the effort you could try and contact the seller and see if there's anything available. (https://world.taobao.com/item/545282990880.htm) However looking at the site now he's raised the price of it by about $50 meaning there's probably some available but he's selling them at "retail" now.

Outside of that you've got the RS96/ZZ96/Duck boards which are hard to come by outside of second hand right now and will be considerably more expensive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:22:01 by schoolbus »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Demo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:24:41 »
I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks more but that site you linked me is totally in Chinese, how do I even buy from it? How hard is it going to be to program? I have zero programming skills.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:27:37 by Demo »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:31:55 »
I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks more but that site you linked me is totally in Chinese, how do I even buy from it? How hard is it going to be to program? I have zero programming skills.

Here's what I did (and would recommend) use a proxy like www.superbuy.com where you create an account, link in that taobao page and purchase through superbuy. Their site is mostly well translated towards an english speaker and you're basically paying them a small % on top to handle communication/translation ordering. Once they order it, they ship it to THEIR warehouse where you then pay superbuy to ship the item to you. It'll be a little more expensive to go this route but is worth the peace of mind. If you order and the seller doesn't have any more he'll let superbuy know and they'll ultimately tell you or cancel the order/refund you.

In regards to the programmability I feel it's a bit of a slight misnomer that you might be getting the wrong impression. There are more complicated ways of programming your board but almost every method is more or less streamlined to make it easy for non-code friendly people to handle.

The GSX96 specifically supposedly uses PS2AVR/Bootmapper client which in my experience is the easiest way today. There's no "coding" per say, you plug in the board, start the program and then you can change what keys do with a WYSIWYG interface.

Offline Demo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:37:25 »
Is the "96 Kits containing PCB board satellite positioning" the kit I want? I don't see a color section for the shell.

Edit - well I just sent them money via that superbuy site. I paid via paypal so i'll get a little protection. Still not sure what color they are gonna send but I told superbuy I wanted silver or black.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:48:52 by Demo »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:18:35 »
Yeah I believe you picked the right one. There wasn't a spot to pick color but when I did it the seller reached out to ask me for color so you probably did the right thing.

Your money should be more than fine, either you'll get it or you should get refunded. I've ordered things before that were never going to ship through here and they refunded me no issues, it just took a couple days.

Offline Aox

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 12:39:31 »
I just put an order in for one as well, direct from taobao, with color prefs in the comments.  Rolling the dice!

Offline Demo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 16:42:55 »
mine got canceled, i'm trying to figure out how message the seller directly

Offline Aox

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:41:24 »

Offline swangful

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:45:50 »
Demo, you need to get in on this, brother!

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/68oauw/gb_zz96_r3_tric60_bstock/

Was going to post this, got beat. zz96 is a great board.

Offline Aox

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 13:36:07 »
Poor Demo slept on this one :(