Author Topic: RARE VINTAGE OSBORNE COMPUTER  (Read 3676 times)

Offline gazza341

• free at last, free at last

Offline JP

Re: RARE VINTAGE OSBORNE COMPUTER
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:41:55 »
Now that is a keyboard...
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline taylorswiftttttt

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 01:53:17 »
removed
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2022, 16:13:47 by taylorswiftttttt »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 09:44:58 »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:01:06 »
The bezel around the screen is almost as bad as the one on the iPhone

Woa lad, I think you're right.

Key word is "almost" though  :p

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:09:21 »
LOL, what an enormous keyboard for such a little bitty display, huh? Obviously, back then, people realized how much more important keyboards were than the computer's other parts.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:13:05 »
now that's what you call a bezel

lol, I was so not prepared

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 21:45:13 »
LOL, what an enormous keyboard for such a little bitty display, huh? Obviously, back then, people realized how much more important keyboards were than the computer's other parts.

Remember that the keyboard is actually the top of the "suitcase" that the computer was housed in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 21:50:29 »
hehe Exent amirite
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:51:23 »

Remember that the keyboard is actually the top of the "suitcase" that the computer was housed in.

Figuratively as well as literally!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 23:07:09 »
One of these walked into the store I work at and I couldn't say no.

It was supposedly a single owner machine and doesn't look like it was used hardly at all, but unfortunately it didn't come with any software or documentation...

It has the other protective travel insert and a word star overlay, but those were removed when the photo was taken.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 04:51:12 »
One of these walked into the store I work at and I couldn't say no...

Awesome, man. There must be some sites where you can download software... The only challenge will be getting it onto some 5.25" floppies.  :?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 21:39:48 »
Those were the days, when we had tiny screens and huge keyboards!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 05:40:53 »
Also, "Vintage Osborne" is probably redundant, huh?