Author Topic: Obscure switch (if it IS a switch...)  (Read 2168 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Obscure switch (if it IS a switch...)
« on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 23:47:17 »
Anyone seen a switch like this?:

171459-0

It's in a "Legend" keyboard someone in Latvia is selling here on eBay. They've described it as a "Vintage Mechanical Clicky Keyboard", but you know how that can be—it may just feel and/or sound "clicky" to them.

Anyway, I've never seen anything like it—have you?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Obscure switch (if it IS a switch...)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 02:47:30 »
Must be some kind of dome with slider mechanism.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline slot demon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 06:07:09 »
The keycaps could be alps compatible.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 06:28:54 »
It can't likely be anything but a rubber dome with slider, considering how little space there is left inside that housing.
It is also probably (but not always) domes when the housings are integrated with the bottom.

There are many rubber dome with Alps-slider designs. Many times where the keycaps are compatible with Alps switches, the stabilisers are not compatible with either Alps or Costar-stabilisers.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 14:52:43 »
Must be some kind of dome with slider mechanism.

That's the feeling I got, too. As you know, though—back before anyone could order whatever they wanted from Taiwan—the Eastern Bloc saw a fair amount of "let's reinvent the wheel, Comrade" IT development, so one could never be sure.

The seller also refers to the board as "mechanical", though we all know from experience that's no guarantee.

The keycaps could be alps compatible.

Looks that way, doesn't it?

It can't likely be anything but a rubber dome with slider, considering how little space there is left inside that housing.
It is also probably (but not always) domes when the housings are integrated with the bottom... There are many rubber dome with Alps-slider designs. Many times where the keycaps are compatible with Alps switches, the stabilisers are not compatible with either Alps or Costar-stabilisers.

Dang—and it was such an appealing idea, transferring a button set from an Alps boards to this RD one.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mushmouth

• mushmouth (Patrick Lonergan) Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 19:48:33 »
How does it feel to type on if anybody has used it?