Author Topic: Just got my first Topre board - HHKB2 Type-S  (Read 2757 times)

Offline TheNamesTy45

Just got my first Topre board - HHKB2 Type-S
« on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:08:48 »
So, I've been curious to try a Topre board for the longest time as I always hear about how great they are and how they can't be replicated for feel.

So far, I really am liking it, but I may need to get a HASU controller to make it fully programmable because there are a few things that are making me a little batty from this layout on the first day of ownership.

The board feels incredible, and I'm very happy with the purchase. Though this is a VERY rough way to describe the feel, I feel like my 67g Zealios and Cherry MX silent boards had a baby. I feel like I get a lot of the sound and feel of the HHKB with my Cherry MX Silent custom board in a plastic case and steel plate, but the top portion of the press feels a TON like my 67g Zealios. This is achieving pretty close to what I was hoping with a tactile board. I can easily see myself using this and my silent Filco board in the Lambo case as my daily drivers.

Only thing that makes me sad about this board is that I can't put any of my GMK sets on it without a bit of messing around with MX sliders. May be something I do in the future, but then again I just may get the black Topre keycaps and get a stormtrooper board.

Disclaimer: All thoughts on the way the board feels is all my opinion. It's cool if you have a different opinion of how it feels.

Offline DaBubbs

Re: Just got my first Topre board - HHKB2 Type-S
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 18:46:05 »
Totally agree... great feeling board. The issue for me was the lack of arrow keys. So I got a FC660C and really liked it. But then I got a 55g 87U and loved it!

It is amazing to me though how different the FC660C  and 87U feel vs the HHKB. The plate inside really makes a difference.

In the end, you are right, to each their own. Even though I will most likely sell my HHKB Pro 2, I sure appreciate it and think a lot of it.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 18:55:35 »
Also, mods. I just noticed that I somehow placed this in keyboard keycaps and not general keyboards. Sorry about that, I'm not quite sure how I managed that.

Offline nya

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 01:56:51 »
Also, mods. I just noticed that I somehow placed this in keyboard keycaps and not general keyboards. Sorry about that, I'm not quite sure how I managed that.

The HHKB Has pretty nice keycaps. Perhaps you really knew what you were doing all along!  :thumb: