Author Topic: Chinese improvement on Topre?  (Read 13229 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Chinese improvement on Topre?
« on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 04:43:29 »
Has anyone actually use one of these? Has this Chinese company really improved on Topre's approach, as they claim, or is it just a bunch of sales talk?

NiZ Electrostatic EC87-S Capacitive Keyboard Silent Low Damping Anti-ghosting

179749-0

179751-1

179753-2

179755-3

179757-4

("Switch Putter", LOL)

Maybe they're more or less like the Korean Topre knock-offs (OfficeMaster, etc.), but I can't help wondering.

I'm also sure these people must be falling all over themselves with delight when clueless Westerners send them $139.00 for a keyboard that must cost them, like, $20 to make.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
Re: Chinese improvement on Topre?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 04:57:32 »
Fully Programmable it claims!
Thick PBT caps and comes factory dental banded, not bad, not bad.  :eek:

Oh, wait a minute....

"[35g PRESSURE - FOCUS MORE ON YOUR HEALTH]"

huh?

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 05:34:53 »

Oh, wait a minute....

huh?
I guess they are claiming that the lighter switch will reduce fatigue... I suppose so... seems a bit of a stretch if you ask me :P
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 05:47:58 »

Oh, wait a minute....

huh?
I guess they are claiming that the lighter switch will reduce fatigue... I suppose so... seems a bit of a stretch if you ask me :P

Yea, I assume so too but ugh, I guess its the way they market their stuff, trying to be different even though they are almost directly replicating...
If anyone here has actually tried the clone though, tell us about it  :thumb:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 06:19:18 »
I keep telling ya'll.. '

Keyboards are so incredibly Low tech..

It's idiotic to pay what Topre is asking..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 06:22:14 »

("Switch Putter", LOL)

Maybe they're more or less like the Korean Topre knock-offs (OfficeMaster, etc.), but I can't help wondering.

I'm also sure these people must be falling all over themselves with delight when clueless Westerners send them $139.00 for a keyboard that must cost them, like, $20 to make.

As opposed to Weeaboos sending Jpan $300 for their Topre ?

EVERYONE is laughing their way to the bank, EXCEPT geekhackers.. hahahahahaha

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 06:22:58 »
I keep telling ya'll.. '

the only thing that is stopping me from buying my first Topre is tp
convince me  ;)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 06:23:47 »
I keep telling ya'll.. '

the only thing that is stopping me from buying my first Topre is tp
convince me  ;)

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 08:36:19 »
Tp4, It is obviously a curse with us. Look I am just going to say this and everyone can stone me. The quality of Topre is a friggin' joke for $250+. They are probably in japan saying "Stupid White folks lining our pockets". I have a feeling that in Japan actual businesses, Schools etc. pay like $80USD. A single fanboy maybe pays $150 in Japan. Just guessing. There is just no way these $5 rubber domes cost 300 bucks. So many hate China for this but I love them for it. This is going to eventually change of course. One day we will be paying $300 for Chinese rubber domes. Japan Won't even bother making them then. Game over. I own 7 Topre based boards and I think I can attest to what they really are. Some things cost $$ to make but I doubt this.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 11:21:22 »
No, they are not an improvement over Topre.

They are an approximation of Topre, and the build quality is noticeably lower, but they are perfectly usable. I use the Nano 75 with my iPad and its switch is better than any MX switch I've used, but overall it's not as good, IMO, as a genuine Topre board. However, it should be noted that the 35g version feels completely linear, rather than tactile. You have to get the 45g version before the switch even begins to feel tactile like a Topre.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 00:40:49 »
My bad then. I thought this post was because they had ousted Topre. TBH, Fair rather R&D is the big cost in anything. Topre is a premium rubber dome but what makes contact is exclusive. I love it but the issue is I must pound it to be sure I made contact. That is entirely my fault though.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 04:28:19 »
("Switch Putter", LOL)

1. Dude, sorry, but why do you always feel compelled to include the "size" tag? It just looks like you're yelling. Are you vision-impaired, maybe? But if so, I take it you're already magnifying your screen to see the posts you're replying to, so what's the point of making your posts bigger?

2. I take it you haven't spent much time in Asia. Japan's economy is much more like the U.S.'s; if anything, living there is more expensive than the U.S. Mainland China's standard of living is far lower. People work for very little in China, mostly because the government doesn't allow protests, collective agreements or unionization. So products can be made there very cheaply (which is why practically every American company has moved its manufacturing jobs there).

Consequently, Japanese products like Topre keebs cost only slightly less in Japan than in the U.S. Chinese products, like these capacitive keyboards, cost vastly less in China; their prices are usually raised to Western-style levels by importers and distributors.

Chinese manufacturers are now wading into direct online sales. Obviously there's great motivation for them to do so, but they're still figuring out how to appeal to, and communicate with, Western consumers.

I should also add that Topre keyboards, though they incorporate RDs, are made to the highest standards. Topre was an internationally respected maker of precision electronic instruments for quite a while before they decided to develop their own keeb technology.

No, they are not an improvement over Topre... They are an approximation of Topre, and the build quality is noticeably lower, but they are perfectly usable. I use the Nano 75 with my iPad and its switch is better than any MX switch I've used, but overall it's not as good, IMO, as a genuine Topre board. However, it should be noted that the 35g version feels completely linear, rather than tactile. You have to get the 45g version before the switch even begins to feel tactile like a Topre.

Thanks for explaining, zs. It sounds similar to my Korean Hansung capacitive board: not quite a Topre, but enjoyable and novel enough.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2017, 04:37:33 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 06:15:36 »

("Switch Putter", LOL)

I actually cry on every keystroke. I feel used by Topre. Topre made me their *****. Butter smooth, poor AF. I have 5 Topre boards. I basically could've bought a PC for dat kind of moneys.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 07:12:23 »
I beat you, I have 7 of them LOL. J/K. There are some very high quality products from China for the Chinese market of the few very wealthy there. That is the main thing one must understand. Made in Japan usually costs even more than made in USA. Then import etc. This is not a Razer, Corsair, Steel series etc. We are niche fans. It is used in thousands of institutions in Japan and some in the US. I am sure they like us but we are not their core customer. I find unamericanized Japanese to most often be very friendly people. Not like so many disgruntled US Citizens. I even had an Email answered by the President of Topre. You have to compare apples and apples. It is a rubber dome but so what. It works! Most Chinese goods that line the shelves of Walmart are of the respective lowest quality. Topre is a precision instrument.

I know what I said earlier. I was mislead to think this thing was better than Topre. Good luck making a better keyboard. You know also Topre has less MTBF than Cherry. Japanese tend to be modest. I bet a Topre outlasts 20 Cherry based boards. Plus if given but 10 Million keystrokes it is unlikely someone hits one key that many times in a lifetime. Let alone 50 Million. Cherry is used in industrial equipment. Again, we are neithers core customer.

I find I very often agree with TP but also agree the shouting is at the least, odd.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 07:34:40 »
They are FAR more reliable than Cherry..because there is less that can go wrong...less that wears out...

Switch to switch (if you count each topre switch as an individual) then they're probably pretty close as far as how many times they can be used...

But the nature of Topre vs. MX means you'll have far more problems with MX...Too much reliance on soldering..it just means you have points of failure that have little to do with the switch itself...plus you have contact points, things that wear, etc...

That's why you hear about people often having an issue with a specific key not working, etc or going bad...whereas I can't even recall a time when people are having that issue with Topre....

In fact, I'm not sure I've even heard of anyone having an issue with the rubber wearing out..yet...I'm sure it'll happen at some point though...

The new Chinese/Korean Topre like keyboards are not an improvement although I do like that they've included silencing..it helps make them sound a bit better because without it there is a lot more clanking going on...I also like that they've gone the MX route as far as keycaps.  Win/Wine as far as I'm concerned...For me it provides an alternative..maybe something I'd leave at work because I'd be less worried about it...all for pushing prices down because of competition....

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 08:52:19 »
There are some very high quality products from China for the Chinese market of the few very wealthy there.
Careful there. Chinese middle class has caught up with western countries, and the upper class… does it even need elaboration? It's a country of a billion people, with a long history.

That said, the contemporary culture is very consumerist.

Offline dante

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:48:59 »
I like Plum because they are the underdogs.  The boards come with silencing rings from the factory and you can buy dome sheets up to 65g as well.

Plum is a little scratchy but so is Topre.  Why do you think there are so many people lubing their boards?

Offline zslane

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:42:44 »
To be fair, I've never lubed the sliders of any of my Topre boards, and that includes NovaTouches, and I've never experienced any scratchiness.

However, you are correct in that the Plums come with silencing rings factory installed, which I appreciate very much. The Plum sliders are a bit scratchy, but I'm not going to take the whole thing apart just to lube them. Lubing the stabilizers is where I draw the line.

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:45:31 »
I put rings and lubed the RGB. Rings not so much for silencing but the landing feel. It was good to begin with but now I am very satisfied with it. Trust me, I will be the first to say if something sucks. It certainly does not feel like 45g though. It is pretty different than a 104U. I like it in it's own right. Get ready because this is the direction Topre is headed. Soon for new buyers there will not be a choice. I really do not see that as a bad thing either.

I may be naïve but I thought most Chinese workers make such low wages delivering us all this cheap stuff. Now that I think of it I doubt this is the quality of a Topre.

Offline zslane

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:57:43 »
My understanding is that Topre design, final assembly, and quality control are all done in Japan, while component manufacturing is frequently done off-shore where it is cheaper.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 14:15:19 »
My understanding is that Topre design, final assembly, and quality control are all done in Japan, while component manufacturing is frequently done off-shore where it is cheaper.

Don't be surprised,  all ur topre boards are actually made in China..

Made in Japan means next to nothing..

There are no regulations.. they can print a label in japan, and call the whole thing made in japan

Now, tell us,  what happens when a capitalist is NOT bound by rules..   heck even if they were.. like dewalt's version of made in usa.. hahahaha

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 04:19:31 »
I was the one that said the slap a label on it rule in the US import laws. Apparently Realforce including the RGB are over 95% made in japan. That is fair enough. Lexus, Acura are made in USA. Every one knows Dewalt is not. Milwaukee sure is though.

I also had mentioned why Topre cases seem flimsy. They are compact cases. Just not much meat on them but inside they do not twist. You cannot compare it to a huge board like Model F, Wyse. Things are not built like that anymore and not solely due to cost. Coming off the Deck The RGB is actually a nice change. Of course I used a 104UB for a long time. So long I actually wore one out. Well, I mean it was just beat into submission HAHA.

Offline dante

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:01:07 »
To be fair, I've never lubed the sliders of any of my Topre boards, and that includes NovaTouches, and I've never experienced any scratchiness.

For every person who says the Topre isn't scratchy there are 10 who think otherwise.

Offline zslane

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 11:56:02 »

For every person who says the Topre isn't scratchy there are 10 who think otherwise.

Really? How did I get so lucky with three RGBs, three NovaTouches, and a 104UK? You'd think the law of averages would put a scratchy Topre board in my hands by now.

I feel really bad for the other 90% of Topre users who are stuck with scratchy sliders. I put silencing rings in all my boards and that is the most tedious operation I perform for any keyboard; lubing the sliders every several months would be just too much.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 12:10:14 »

Really? How did I get so lucky with three RGBs, three NovaTouches, and a 104UK? You'd think the law of averages would put a scratchy Topre board in my hands by now.

I feel really bad for the other 90% of Topre users who are stuck with scratchy sliders. I put silencing rings in all my boards and that is the most tedious operation I perform for any keyboard; lubing the sliders every several months would be just too much.

put the sliders through an oil + polishing compound tumbler..  should come out real smooth.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 12:16:42 »
Well, they did improve Topre. Plum/Niz/RK were the first ones to sell backlit/rgb topre-like boards, even though topre had already teased a RGB typeheaven on a previous computex or something like that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 12:20:48 by Lepidus »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:22:39 »

Really?  I don't see anyone describing them as scratchy...not saying it hasn't been said but surely not a lot....honestly, that is one of the craziest forms of internal bias confirmation I've seen..

Offline dante

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:19:20 »

Really?  I don't see anyone describing them as scratchy...not saying it hasn't been said but surely not a lot....honestly, that is one of the craziest forms of internal bias confirmation I've seen..

I'm going off Youtube videos and the posts people make on here.  Do translations on Korean typing demonstration videos and you'll see they are trying all sorts of lubricants and giving reviews on such.

If one or two people claim Topre is smooth yet Youtube has tons of lubed Realforce videos what conclusion would you draw?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:48:31 »
That people who are content with their stock board aren't going to post videos about it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:53:50 »
Topre isn't nearly as smooth as Cherry mx Booru..

MX-Booru = Best switch..

It has the least perceptible friction of ANY switch by far, due to that central slider cuff.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:57:17 »
If one or two people claim Topre is smooth yet Youtube has tons of lubed Realforce videos what conclusion would you draw?

Well that's one hell of an extrapolation...

Offline Riverman

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:28:20 »

Well that's one hell of an extrapolation...
Yeah, it's like going on a car forum and trying to figure out how unreliable a car is based on the posts.  People don't tend to post there when everything is working fine.  They post when something breaks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 19:18:38 »
I've never had scratchy topre and the other electro capacitive boards are subpar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline typo

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 00:09:40 »
Topre is fine out of the box. Lubed and Oringed it is lovely.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 09:48:52 »

I'm going off Youtube videos and the posts people make on here.  Do translations on Korean typing demonstration videos and you'll see they are trying all sorts of lubricants and giving reviews on such.

The majority of comments I see around lubing it is to make it quieter....and a bit smoother..but smoother doesn't mean the original is scratchy...

Again I'm not seeing anyone talking about them being scratchy per se.....yet one of the descriptors for Topre...consistently..is that of it being "smooth"...

You also have quite a number of people who do it for MX Topre Sliders.. and the reality is, if you've already torn it apart it surely isn't going to hurt..but again, that doesn't mean Topre is scratchy...You're drawing a poor conclusion and still have not yet provided any evidence of 10 out of 11 people calling Topre scratchy...

To be fair, Topre gets smoother with use (and that doesn't take long)..so new, while I'd hardly describe them as scratchy, they are less smooth than when you've used it a bit...

Also, smoothness/scratchiness is all relative....Topre is definitely on the smoother side of switches..compared to anything MX and Alps....
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 October 2017, 10:28:18 by Polymer »

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:32:39 »
The only improvement on Topre is to switch to Cherry or Gateron.  I can't believe people use Topre... those boards are destroying your fingers. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:49:48 »
Given how decades of typing on cheap membrane keyboards haven't "ruined my fingers," I am confident that my fingers are perfectly safe from catastrophic ruin by typing on Topre switches.   :cool:

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:53:16 »
Congratulations... you simply have not yet lived long enough for the problems to show. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:56:43 »
Perhaps. But I did say decades of typing. How young do you think I am?

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 11:58:52 »
Hmm, didn't ponder the statement too long, but I assumed you were 50 to 70 years old...

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 12:01:30 »
By age 200 your fingers will have been destroyed by Topre.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 12:13:37 »
I believe the age for 90% of people's fingers to be completely destroyed by Topre is 78 human years, or 14 dog years.  Depending on intensity of use, the 90% of professional programmers who use their Topre for 30+ hours a week for a length of 7 years will destroy their fingers by the time they are 40

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:00:06 »
I believe the age for 90% of people's fingers to be completely destroyed by Topre is 78 human years, or 14 dog years.  Depending on intensity of use, the 90% of professional programmers who use their Topre for 30+ hours a week for a length of 7 years will destroy their fingers by the time they are 40

This a joke? Honestly can't tell.

I've never head anyone say topre is scratchy.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:05:14 »

Just try a little bit harder...

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:20:14 »
By age 200 your fingers will have been destroyed by Topre.

By age, your Destroyed will be topre for 200!

Look at it this way, the only keyboard good for your hands, is the one with keycaps made out of fur.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:25:47 »

Just try a little bit harder...

Looked through what I can only describe as your ****posting history to see that you, in fact, are not joking. If an hhkb is destroying your fingers, learn to type correctly.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:39:00 »

Oh my.  Holy cow.  Yes, that post was a joke.  Didn't you read the part about the dog years, and the specificity about the ages, etc.  But yeah, Topre does slowly destroy your fingers.  So do any keys that put high amounts of pressure on your fingers.  It's simple...  No need to get offended by the truth.  If you like your beloved Topre, no worries at all.  I wish I liked it, because HHKB look and layout are second to none. 

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:53:57 »

Oh my.  Holy cow.  Yes, that post was a joke.  Didn't you read the part about the dog years, and the specificity about the ages, etc.  But yeah, Topre does slowly destroy your fingers.  So do any keys that put high amounts of pressure on your fingers.  It's simple...  No need to get offended by the truth.  If you like your beloved Topre, no worries at all.  I wish I liked it, because HHKB look and layout are second to none.

You posted an entire thread about the same thing, then claim here that it's a joke.

Why would you post this in a dedicated thread if you were joking?

While the layout and looks of HHKB are excellent, the health of your fingers are much more important.  If you've got money to spend on a HHKB, go a bit farther and get someone to build you a custom board with the HHKB layout and Cherry or MX Switches that are not slowly but surely thocking your fingers to death... literally and actually.

Also topre is not High Pressure. The gateron clears you prefer are actually ABNORMALLY low pressure.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:03:36 »
Also topre is not High Pressure. The gateron clears you prefer are actually ABNORMALLY low pressure.

Or it could be that, topre and anything over 35g IS actually high pressure, but we think it's not?  And that gateron clear is should be the norm, though it's not?  You won't really know until, and if, a few years down the road you develop problems.  I hope you never have problems.  But many people do, in fact, have these problems. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 15:09:36 »
It seems to me that the word "destroy" is a needless exaggeration. If you honestly believe that "destroy" is the right word to use, then I would say you are being an alarmist. If you don't really believe "destroy" is accurate and are only using it to provoke reactions from Topre fans, then you're being a troll. In either case, it's really no surprise why that sentiment doesn't get warmly embraced here.

If I ever experience chronic pain in my finger joints, there will be no way to tell if it is from typing or from playing piano, guitar, and oboe. I'm no more likely to give up typing on a switch I enjoy than I am to give up playing music. I've noticed that what passes for health advice around here tends to just be a form of (largely irrelevant) ergonomic evangelism.