Author Topic: A Cache of 3178 and Model M keyboards? Is this for real?  (Read 2234 times)

Offline OldIsNew

A Cache of 3178 and Model M keyboards? Is this for real?
« on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 16:00:05 »
I just happened to surf by reddit and saw this post. Here's a bit referring to a number of IBM 3178 terminals/keyboards and (if for real) a boatload of Model M keyboards:

"Oh that's cool to know. This is one of about 10 we have sitting around here. Along with about 150 model m keyboards destined for the trash :-( which apparently is a pretty popular keyboard in this community. But I'm in the process of getting the OK to take a few home before they toss them."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7i0b16/dont_really_know_much_about_mechanical_keyboards/

Maybe worth a message or two if it's true!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
Re: A Cache of 3178 and Model M keyboards? Is this for real?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 02:00:00 »
*account deleted* - i guess him saying they were throwing out 150 model M's was a bad move for his PM inbox lol
-Dana

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:37:53 »
Someone find this address!!  Can't let those get trashed!  OMG THE HORROR!!!!

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 02:37:17 »
I thought once something was thrown away it was public domain? Is that not true. What I mean is OP could wait for them to be chunked them scavenge them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 01:28:38 »
Did anything come of this?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ