Author Topic: BKE Redux Light Domes [Short review]  (Read 13077 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
BKE Redux Light Domes [Short review]
« on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 12:22:20 »
It seems that this is gaining attention once more, so after seven years, I'm utilizing my improved grammar skills to rectify my previous mistakes.

Introduction

Today, I am reviewing the BKE Redux light domes from KeyClack. I installed these domes on a stock HHKB Pro 2, utilized them for five days, and now feel confident in sharing my experience with you all.

Product Information

The BKE Redux is a remade and retooled BKE rubber dome replacement. Crafted from silicone, these domes are compressed to deliver a crisp and tactile typing sensation.

Weight, Tactility, Sound

Weight: Initially advertised at 45 grams, these domes exhibit a weight closer to 60 grams in reality. A Geekhack user named _Rubik conducted a coin test on the heavier variant, advertised at 60 grams, revealing an activation force ranging between 86 and 92 grams. My informal testing with European coins (7x20 cents and 2x10 cents) suggests an activation force of approximately 48-50 grams. However, I must note that my testing conditions lacked precision since I did not evaluate the domes inside my keyboard.

Tactility: While undeniably tactile, I find the degree of tactility to be excessive, deviating from the original Topre feel.

Sound: The installation of these domes significantly amplified the typing noise of my HHKB Pro 2, Not using silencing rings or lubrication. The forceful return of the dome to its original form causes the plastic slider to strike the plate with considerable force, resulting in a noise level comparable to Alps clicky switches.

Quality

The craftsmanship of these domes is impeccable, exhibiting no discernible flaws and maintaining a visual and tactile resemblance to genuine Topre domes.

Is it Worth it?

Personally, I find these domes unsatisfactory due to their perceived heaviness and stiffness compared to the stock domes, along with an excessive level of tactility that diverges from the authentic Topre experience. Moreover, the increased typing noise may pose an issue for myself and others, though this may vary for Topre boards employing a steel plate. Thus, I hesitate to recommend them for typing purposes, but I acknowledge their potential suitability for gaming.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2024, 19:42:59 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: BKE Redux Light Domes [Short review]
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:01:25 »
EXCELLENT REVIEW!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:56:05 »
Nice review, thanks. Interesting to hear that you think the weight is like 60g. I'm assuming you're not in the U.S., but can you do a weight test with coins of a known weight to see how much force it takes to collapse a light dome?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 13:59:39 »
Nice review, thanks. Interesting to hear that you think the weight is like 60g. I'm assuming you're not in the U.S., but can you do a weight test with coins of a known weight to see how much force it takes to collapse a light dome?

I will try to figure out how much pressure is needed to collapse the BKE light dome

EXCELLENT REVIEW!

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 14:19:02 »

I will try to figure out how much pressure is needed to collapse the BKE light dome

Much appreciated! The more hard data we have, the better.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 14:38:30 »

Surprisingly the pressure to get the dome collapsed is around 48-50 grams. I am surprised since they do feel like 60 grams.
current
Coming soon

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 23:02:14 »

Surprisingly the pressure to get the dome collapsed is around 48-50 grams. I am surprised since they do feel like 60 grams.
Interesting indeed! Maybe I'll get a sample pack of those light domes to try in my RF 87U.

Offline Wirakocha

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:26:13 »
nice review  :thumb:

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 23:10:19 »
I've been considering BKE Redux domes for a while. What domes does the stock HHKB have? That keyboard feels great, so I'm thinking of adding these to a plum.

Offline corygrapher

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:31:01 »
Wish they sell super light again.

Offline MperorM

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 January 2018, 15:13:27 »
I received my BKEredux light's today.

After reading reviews like this one, I was very worried that even the lights would be too heavy for me, considering my preference for 35g switches.

However after putting them in (wasn't too much of a hassle) I found that they don't really feel heavier than my 45g domes. They do however feel much snappier, even more so than my clicky alps! This is just the right kind of tactility. Clicky simplified alps feel flimsy, and cherry mx feels outright linear. I really am enjoying the tactility :)

The upstroke is also absurdly loud, like, really loud. I didn't think I would mind it, I thought I would maybe even enjoy it, but that turned out not to be the case. The upstroke is annoyingly loud. the buttery smooth topretm "thock" is gone, replaced with an aggressive "THOCK THOCK THOCK".

so far I am quite satisfied, however I've only been typing on them for too long, so my opinion might change.
Leopold fc980c with korean keycaps

KBParadise v80 with blank and original keycaps - FOR SALE

Offline Boaty

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 00:37:35 »
PM