Author Topic: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)  (Read 38967 times)

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
[IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)
« on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:13:15 »
Indefinitely on hold.

---

G M K  H E I S E I
平成

GMK Heisei is the ideal combination of Cherry's OG beige colorway and my personal love of Japan and it's culture.

---

In Japanese, Shibui refers to words which refer to a particular aesthetic of simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty[1]. In my keyboard journey nothing has caught my attention more than the original Cherry dye-subs and doubleshots. To me, these sets represent the essence of shibui, existing at the polar opposite side of the keyboard spectrum as sets like MiTo's Laser. I hope to grab your attention not with bright colors and novelties, but with the inherent beauty of simplicity.

---

T H E  S E T

Renders courtesy of janglad.

-

Renders courtesy of amnesia0287 and Quantrik.
Note: this set will make use of icon modifiers.

---

G M K  R E N D E R S

B A S E

S A K U R A

M O M I J I

---

P R I C E S
All prices are in USD.

BASE

$145 @ 150 MOQ
$135 @ 250 MOQ

MOMIJI

$31 @ 100 MOQ
$26 @ 150 MOQ

SAKURA

$26 @ 250 MOQ

---

V E N D O R S

North America
Switchmod.net

Asia/Australia
zFrontier

Europe
TBD

---

T I M E L I N E
(bold/pink means current)

March 3, 2018 - Heisei Update #1: Interest check open.
April 2018 - Heisei Update #2: Renders. Pricing. Interest check still open.
May 2018 - IC progress update/check-in.
June 1, 2018 - GROUP BUY OPEN
July 7, 2018 - GROUP BUY CLOSE

Production Estimate: 12 weeks from PO submission.

Delivery Estimate: TBD
---

C O N T A C T  M E

Geekhack: PM
Discord: zekkin#0001
Reddit: /u/hjunkin0

---

INTEREST CHECK FORM HERE

---

Past updates:

More
Hi everyone!

This set came around in a pretty not exciting way, but I'll share regardless; I wasn't a fan of GMK 9009 when I first saw it -- I couldn't understand why anyone would pay $x for keycaps. I've since realized the error of my ways, paid dumb aftermarket pricing for 9009, and have been happy since.

I have one other keyset and that's Originative's Modern Beige (w/ black English legends and black Japanese sublegends). It's a close second to 9009 for me. I thought to myself, why not combine the two? I swapped the alphas of Modern Beige with 9009 but couldn't get over using ABS and PBT at the same time, so I scrapped that idea. Now that Laser has happened anyone should be able to make use of the doubleshot hiragana molds. And that brings me now -- I've bounced this idea around the mechkeys Discord and have gotten relatively positive feedback so I figured why not see what the community has to say.

With that being said, I bring to you: GMK Heisei.

3/11/2018 Update:

Amnesia, kinda to my surprise, rendered up Heisei w/ Momiji accents on a concept board. I'm actually sort of blown away by the color synergy -- I wanted to offer something other than pink so I originally chose red because I thought it'd fit the theme. Red really gives the set a necessary pop, similar to what the 9009 accents did for what would have otherwise been a generic beige set.

Smol update: he did Sakura too!

Truth be told, I was leaning towards wanting Sakura for myself but the Momiji render has me rethinking that.

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks, my friends!

INTEREST CHECK FORM HERE

---

Older Updates:

More
3/3/2018 Update

NEW NEW NEW HOTNESS ALERT!

My Photoshop mockup is complete! This represents the all-but-final base kit and not-final-at-all accent kit (there can only be one).

More
2/26/2018 Update

NEW NEW HOTNESS ALERT!

I'll be updating this picture throughout the coming days. Hold on to your butts.

More to come.

More
12/22/2017 Update

New GMK Mockup Hotness (thanks again to Kafka)

Note: The 9009 colors will not be included. This is just to give you an idea of what my goal is.

Old and Busted KLE Screenshot:

(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.) Just kidding apparently kbrenders was shut down. If anyone wants to donate a render that'd be saweet.

The pink keys below the main set will either be part of the main set or be part of a "Sakura Accent Kit" to keep with the Japanese theme. I toyed with the idea of having a matching "Matcha Accent Kit" but thought that would just make this set a Japanese 9009, which I'm not too into. That being said, the colors of this set are the exact same as 9009 (L9 alphas, U9 mods). Let's just say this set is 9009 inspired. As for icon/text mods, I'm thinking bottom row text modifiers, navigation cluster text modifiers, everything else icon modifiers.

Right now the pink accents are #CC8DA3 -- I tried playing with other GMK colors (MG1 was too dark) but I only have KLE at my disposal. If I'm not mistaken, custom colors drive up cost, so if possible I'd want to avoid that. Please give me correct info if I'm mistaken!!

More
Here's a photoshopped render from GMK to give people a better idea:

More

---

Other details:
  • Cost:  Given the exchange rate changes over the last few months, please prepare for a higher price than usual. I will not speculate and not give any numbers until GMK has given them to me.
  • Timeline: The original plan was (and still is) to run this in the second half of the year. More information on timeline in the next update; for now refer to the list below to see where we're at for this set.
  • Vendor: Krelbit of Switchmod.net originally offered to help me run this back when I first thought of this set and has said he will still do so.
  • Proxies: More info next update.
---

Timeline Breakdown (Updated 3/3/2018):
  • March 3, 2018 - Heisei Update #1: Interest check open.
  • April 2018 - Heisei Update #2: Renders. Pricing. Interest check still open.
  • May 2018 - TBD
---

How to reach me:
  • PM on Geekhack
  • PM on Reddit (/u/hjunkin0)
  • PM me on Discord (@zekkin#4763)
Feedback is always welcome. I'm really looking forward to making this set happen with you all.

---

Indefinitely on hold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 12:51:08 by zekkin »

Offline cdn-mini

Re: [IC] GMK Weeb Retro
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:15:56 »
GEEZUS, another GMK set? why? why? please tell me why so much GMK love?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:16:57 »

GMK for life.

+1 to this set. Simple and appealing.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:20:24 »

Because everything else is trash.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:22:00 »

cherry profile is my life

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:25:04 »

Okay you are right, let's do this in SA, ETA end of 2022  :))

Offline Ponkan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:33:09 »
I'm so down for this! Perfect for my pink board!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:31:49 »

GMK is the most comfortable profile for a lot of people. The height and curvature are just perfect (compared to OEM which is trash, too tall and not enough of a scoop to the keytops)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:34:03 »
I'm in, would love myself some Weeb 9009

Offline Traveler

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:05:30 »
(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.)

I've got some sad news: that site shut down recently due to server costs. Sorry!

Good luck though. I'm personally not in the market for another keyset but it does look nice.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:09:10 »
(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.)

I've got some sad news: that site shut down recently due to server costs. Sorry!

Good luck though. I'm personally not in the market for another keyset but it does look nice.
Yeah...for now I'll just work with KLE and if the set starts picking up steam I'll reach out to some people.

Keep the feedback coming!

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:49:00 »
Definitely interested! I love the simple colors and the small size of the hiragana characters. It's like a perfect simple canvas which you can accent with your artisans.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:49:27 »
OK, so why this instead of Modern Beige or EnjoyPBT? Is it only for the smooth ABS surface while at the same time having to suffer the imminent ABS shining?

Genuine question. i totally get paying extra for colorful GMK sets like Laser (in fact, I did just that), but for beige? Why not dye-sub PBT?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:51:15 by nguyenhimself »

Offline ___q

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:59:05 »
yeah id buy this

I would prefer just an alphas kit since beige alphas work with so many preexisting sets, but a full set is fine too.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 01:28:07 »
If anyone is curious how GMK L9 alphas will look with weeb subs, here you go:

184396-0

Offline pradshaw89

• YohaRiko best ship
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:17:04 »
I'm up for any keyset with Japanese characters. :thumb:

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:41:53 »
I'm up for any keyset with Japanese characters. :thumb:

Well color me surprised.  :rolleyes:
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline pwade3

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:46:47 »
There's always http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/

It's not as good as kbrenders, but I used it to mock up a set I'm working on, and it does pretty well, you've just gotta make sure profiles and such are assigned in the KLE.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:49:33 »
If anyone is curious how GMK L9 alphas will look with weeb subs, here you go:

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for this.

Kafka also sent me a mock up using a GMK render he had previously gotten. I've added it to the original post.

There's always http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/

It's not as good as kbrenders, but I used it to mock up a set I'm working on, and it does pretty well, you've just gotta make sure profiles and such are assigned in the KLE.

KLE doesn't do too well with Japanese sublegends nor does it do too well with Cherry profile.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:54:17 by zekkin »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:56:00 »
Definitely interested! I love the simple colors and the small size of the hiragana characters. It's like a perfect simple canvas which you can accent with your artisans.

Size of the sublegends will match up with Laser.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 12:13:55 »
OK, so why this instead of Modern Beige or EnjoyPBT? Is it only for the smooth ABS surface while at the same time having to suffer the imminent ABS shining?

Genuine question. i totally get paying extra for colorful GMK sets like Laser (in fact, I did just that), but for beige? Why not dye-sub PBT?

My thought is probably that both Enjoy PBT and Modern Beige had similar sets already run. One of my favorite things about 9009 that those PBT sets didn't have though, was the icon only mods. I could be interested in a PBT set with that implemented.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:12:29 »

My thought is probably that both Enjoy PBT and Modern Beige had similar sets already run. One of my favorite things about 9009 that those PBT sets didn't have though, was the icon only mods. I could be interested in a PBT set with that implemented.

This to some extent. Modern Beige ran again (and will probably be stocked within the next few weeks) through Originative, so if you'd like PBT then that's the way to go. Sony (Discord admin) made an IC recently for a EnjoyPBT monolegend set (just hiragana) with icon mods, so check that out as well.

While icon mods are also a part of it, another is that I'm a big fan of doubleshot ABS. It feels good (she thicc), the colors possible are much better than w/ PBT (see jchan's PBT9009 for this), and I (and many others) really don't mind some shine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:14:59 by zekkin »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 15:02:41 »

This to some extent. Modern Beige ran again (and will probably be stocked within the next few weeks) through Originative, so if you'd like PBT then that's the way to go. Sony (Discord admin) made an IC recently for a EnjoyPBT monolegend set (just hiragana) with icon mods, so check that out as well.

While icon mods are also a part of it, another is that I'm a big fan of doubleshot ABS. It feels good (she thicc), the colors possible are much better than w/ PBT (see jchan's PBT9009 for this), and I (and many others) really don't mind some shine.

Thank you for the reference zekkin!

I missed this in the OP,

"As for icon/text mods, I'm thinking bottom row text modifiers, navigation cluster text modifiers, everything else icon modifiers"

I think that will look best!  :thumb: 

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 17:20:18 »
I’m definitely in for the base set. But I’m not too fond of the accent set.
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 10:30:15 »
Count me in bb.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 12:20:20 »
Count me in bb.

Thanks friend! I'm hoping to make this set a reality.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:09:20 »
I am all for a nice Hiragana set, but to have a Sakura accent kit without flowery novelties, that's a crime against humanity. Would be a lot more interested with some of those.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:25:10 »
Love it. I'm down.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:29:57 »
Like the design, really not into the name though...

Offline zekkin

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:33:19 »
Feel free to suggest different names :)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 06:40:53 »
Update in the main post! New render! Give me feedback!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:31:03 »
Just tell me what to throw my money at (and when because I'm poorboye and have to save up lol).

Offline megaforce

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:08:53 »
yes pls
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:01:42 »
Pls gib.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:47:16 »
I feel like with 9009 R2 having just been ran this may be a double edged sword but I do like it - if I didn't know any better I'd ask you to offer the alphas in a separate kit so that people with classic beige, retro and 9009 could just buy those but I do know better, so I will not.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 15:37:13 »

I feel like with 9009 R2 having just been ran this may be a double edged sword but I do like it - if I didn't know any better I'd ask you to offer the alphas in a separate kit so that people with classic beige, retro and 9009 could just buy those but I do know better, so I will not.

Given these two responses I thought it was about time to make a google form so I can assess the real interest.

Interest Check Form Here

Offline Tree_

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:22:23 »
This is some real hot trash - I'd keep the name and run the set in full as someone who doesn't have any of the sets an alpha kit would fit with.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 20:40:40 »

Given these two responses I thought it was about time to make a google form so I can assess the real interest.

Interest Check Form Here

Filled out the form, hope this set comes to life as well!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:21:56 »
that's rather a thick render...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:30:36 »

Its just 9009 with replaced alphas, I doubt he will include all those keys in the final kit.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:40:23 »

Its just 9009 with replaced alphas, I doubt he will include all those keys in the final kit.
Yeah, mostly just to give an idea of what things will look like.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 10:31:35 »
I do like the green modifiers though. Pink just isn't my style, I didn't think about it, but was hoping we would get pink and another color as well.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:19:02 »
I've been thinking about titles and I'm thinking about and seriously considering GMK Heisei.

Heisei refers to the current era of the Japanese calendar, which in turn refers to the current emperor of the country. We will enter into a new era once Akihito (said current emperor) abdicates and his son, Naruhito, takes the throne.

What do you guys think?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:24:05 »
I've been thinking about titles and I'm thinking about and seriously considering GMK Heisei.

Heisei refers to the current era of the Japanese calendar, which in turn refers to the current emperor of the country. We will enter into a new era once Akihito (said current emperor) abdicates and his son, Naruhito, takes the throne.

What do you guys think?

I love that idea. Would Shōwa be more fitting, considering we're calling this weeb 'retro'? That being said, Heisei started in '89. Either way, the new title is great!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (formerly Weeb Retro)
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:34:44 »
It's official! This set is now GMK Heisei.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:38:31 »
I suggest you to add a row three back slash and pipe. It looks very nice and it is a novel and unique approach on a beloved color way. It should get a lot of attention. Have you considered Yuri's icons?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:02:11 »
I suggest you to add a row three back slash and pipe. It looks very nice and it is a novel and unique approach on a beloved color way. It should get a lot of attention. Have you considered Yuri's icons?
I'll look into the R3 backslash and pipe.

The only icon mods that'll be in this set will be what is offered with 9009 (i.e. shift, enter, tab, backspace, caps lock). All bottom row and navigation cluster mods will be text only.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:18:54 »

Always GMK Weeb in my heart, also yuri icons are super unpleasant imo

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:39:34 »
I'd tap that! literally.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:41:59 »
I'll look into the R3 backslash and pipe.

The only icon mods that'll be in this set will be what is offered with 9009 (i.e. shift, enter, tab, backspace, caps lock). All bottom row and navigation cluster mods will be text only.

It makes total sense to keep the classic feeling.  :thumb: