Author Topic: Looking for Help troubleshooting XD84  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Ventamora

Looking for Help troubleshooting XD84
« on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:54:49 »
Hey there, quite new here. I have a problem with my XD84 and it's making my head smoke.
I put a LED into one Switch before tearing the whole thing apart to see if everything works, and it did. So i soldered in every LED buuut... they dont light up while on Desktop, though, they do light up in the BIOS and when the PC is turned off, but immediately turn off once the Windows 10 Login screen pops up. I though i had wired them in the wrong way at first but i didn't, as they just wouldnt work the other way around. (right?)
What could be the issue? I have programmed some keys to be LED on/off and brightness up/down but they don't do anything. The underglow LED also don't light up at all anymore, and i have no idea why. Could the PCB just be broken?
I'd appreciate any help.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Looking for Help troubleshooting XD84
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:13:34 »
leds have polarity.

You're sure you put them all in the right direction.

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 11:27:55 »
I'm fairly sure that they are the right polarity, otherwise they just wouldn't work at all if i'm not mistaken. They do light up in BIOS and up until the Login Screen but then just flicker once and turn off.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 02:24:52 »
To check polarity touch a spare LED to the pins of one you've soldered but the other way round - if it lights up and responds to your keypresses (gets brighter or turns on/off) that's the problem.

If the board has nkey rollover it's possible it doesn't work properly in BIOS so the controller chip's pins are in their default state and the LEDs glow, but once it's properly initialised in Windows the firmware takes over and the pins change so they switch off.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 10:21:42 »
To check polarity touch a spare LED to the pins of one you've soldered but the other way round - if it lights up and responds to your keypresses (gets brighter or turns on/off) that's the problem.

If the board has nkey rollover it's possible it doesn't work properly in BIOS so the controller chip's pins are in their default state and the LEDs glow, but once it's properly initialised in Windows the firmware takes over and the pins change so they switch off.

I did hold a spare LED onto the pins the other way around and it did not light up. What is weird is that at first, when i just tested 1 LED to check that it works before soldering the others in, it lit up fine. But after soldering in all the LEDs they only light up under said scenario.
I have also just noticed that the capslock LED lights up when activating capslock.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:20:53 by Ventamora »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 20:40:33 »
If it was a polarity problem, they would not come on with bios.

Usb 2.0 ports can flow 0.9 amps, however if data is expected across it, they can drop to 0.5 amps. This is why some cables could fast charge and others did not, the system checks for data then limits current to avoid damage. There is also a limit for a group of plugs if they are connected to a single hub.  RGB and backlighting can exceed the 0.5amp limit pretty easily.

You can get a 2into1 connector, but you still have to deal with a possible hub limitation (yes, some manufacturers go cheap and use a hub instead of individual ports, this is less common today), you can also use an external hub which can flow a LOT more power, or simply try another port. Preferably a USB 3.0 port. While the device may not be usb 3, a usb 3 port can flow more power.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:08:42 »
If it was a polarity problem, they would not come on with bios.

Usb 2.0 ports can flow 0.9 amps, however if data is expected across it, they can drop to 0.5 amps. This is why some cables could fast charge and others did not, the system checks for data then limits current to avoid damage. There is also a limit for a group of plugs if they are connected to a single hub.  RGB and backlighting can exceed the 0.5amp limit pretty easily.

You can get a 2into1 connector, but you still have to deal with a possible hub limitation (yes, some manufacturers go cheap and use a hub instead of individual ports, this is less common today), you can also use an external hub which can flow a LOT more power, or simply try another port. Preferably a USB 3.0 port. While the device may not be usb 3, a usb 3 port can flow more power.

That's interesting. Would that mean that the cable i am using (from an ajazz keyboard, was the only mini usb cable around) is at fault? Because i have tried all USB Ports and nothing really worked, except for in BIOS, but none of the FN functions worked there. It's frustrating me quite a bit since i just cant seem to figure it out, and it seems to be such an odd problem as i cant read anything similar anywhere else.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 17:49:11 »
Some cables are unable to carry much juice, but it could also be your ports are incapable. One way or another, I'm betting on power being the problem.

Since it works in bios, I would probably point to your ports, or it could be a sign that your power supply failing.
Boot your computer into bios, using another keyboard, and if it has a power section showing voltages, go there, then plug in this keyboard and see if it lights up, but watch the 5v voltage and see if it drops. If it does by hardly any, then it could be a power problem. *

Oh, and there is another possibility...
Try going into bios using this board. It could be that the board has a wiring problem and Windows is turning it off because of it. If it won't get you to bios, it means it's probably got a problem. You can also  look in device manager and see if it shows up as disabled.

* If it does turn out to be a power problem REPLACE THE PSU NOW. This will raise hell with your parts. I killed 4 thumbdrives before I figured out my psu was having 5v supply problems. Even after, I was still had some die off from the damage they suffered.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 18:22:05 »
Some cables are unable to carry much juice, but it could also be your ports are incapable. One way or another, I'm betting on power being the problem.

Since it works in bios, I would probably point to your ports, or it could be a sign that your power supply failing.
Boot your computer into bios, using another keyboard, and if it has a power section showing voltages, go there, then plug in this keyboard and see if it lights up, but watch the 5v voltage and see if it drops. If it does by hardly any, then it could be a power problem. *

Oh, and there is another possibility...
Try going into bios using this board. It could be that the board has a wiring problem and Windows is turning it off because of it. If it won't get you to bios, it means it's probably got a problem. You can also  look in device manager and see if it shows up as disabled.

* If it does turn out to be a power problem REPLACE THE PSU NOW. This will raise hell with your parts. I killed 4 thumbdrives before I figured out my psu was having 5v supply problems. Even after, I was still had some die off from the damage they suffered.

I will look into the voltages if my BIOS shows them, i'm on a z97 sabertooth so it should, i guess. PSU has recently been replaced, it's a Seasonic Prime 650W. The weird thing is that the light that turns on when pressing Capslock works in windows and all, but thats the only one. It also shows up in device manager as "HID keyboard device" showing as working properly. The weird thing is that it shows 3 times, 2 of them being the keyboard and 1 of them still showing as keyboard but it stays even after unplugging it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 23:44:31 »
Odds of it being the PSU is slim considering your parts, which leads me back to the cable. Could also be a a firmware or firmware config issue, but I really want to blame the cable.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 09:04:52 »
Odds of it being the PSU is slim considering your parts, which leads me back to the cable. Could also be a a firmware or firmware config issue, but I really want to blame the cable.

New cable should arrive tomorrow, i really hope that this will fix it. I also re-flashed my keyboard 2 times just to make sure, but still the same issue. I also deinstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers multiple times, but that didn't do anything either. I still think it's weird that the capslock LED works but none of the others do. Thanks for the help so far though. .D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 17:04:35 »
If it's like my custom 75, caps lock led is not a normal backlight, but instead an function/indicator light and therefore a higher priority.
In other words, don't use it to troubleshoot the rest of the backlights.

You're welcome, I hope this fixes it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:45:02 »
If it's like my custom 75, caps lock led is not a normal backlight, but instead an function/indicator light and therefore a higher priority.
In other words, don't use it to troubleshoot the rest of the backlights.

You're welcome, I hope this fixes it.

It's fixed. :D The new Cable probably was a good buy eitherway, but the problem was in the Firmware. on TMK at the bottom is a dropdown for LEDs which somehow defaulted back to defaults so it didn't recognize my LEDs more or less. Now both the Backlighting and the Underglow work fine. :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:47:57 »
Congrats!
Kind of a bummer you bought a cable (sorry), like you said, not a bad idea anyhow. Glad it's working.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More