Author Topic: Iris build: Programming questions  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Construtor

Iris build: Programming questions
« on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 16:53:35 »
Hello there.  First time custom keyboard and not very literate in Arduino stuff...  I have flashed Arduinos before and built a 3D printer so not totally unfamiliar.

I am waiting for the Iris kit to arrive and meanwhile, I am learning about how to program the keyboard.

After reading and watching many videos, all I could find linked to Iris is the QMK interface.  When looking at the Ergodox, their interface is much more dummy friendly!  Can I use that or something like that on the Iris, giving that this kit comes with Pro Micro boards? 

Should I change the board for something different... if the actual keyboard PCB allows?

Sorry if this question is too trivial, I am a total noob on this.  I have done a search but couldn't find this answer.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Offline Construtor

Re: Iris build: Programming questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 13:21:03 »
Anybody?

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 18:33:53 »
Hm... I'm not an expert on this but I'll try to help ;)

As far as I know the Iris works with two arduinos, which are linked through a 3 wire connection. This is why I would go with QMK... possible that this is also implemented into other Firmwares by now but with QMK you are on the save side. Also QMK comes preconfigured for the Iris (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/iris).
There is no point to try a teensy in this case, as it will only get more expansive and its optimized for pro micros.
When flashing pro micros you have to reset it right before the flashing starts (thats different to other arduinos) but as I see there is a extra reset button so that should be no problem.

Hope that helped ;)

Greetings Max

[Edit]
repaired the link
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 May 2018, 05:00:43 by xack »

Offline Construtor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:05:17 »
Thanks Max!! It helps a lot! I have been surfing the net for the last 10 days and it is good to bounce back from an actually human!!

I couldn't follow your link..

Today, I had some more time and followed the QMK instructions. Was able to load the whole thing in my computer, and even checked out some firmwares on an editor. I think I am more comfortable with the process of creating and flashing the boards now.

I was also able to find firmwares in the QMK folders specific to the Iris... maybe that was what your link was about?

Just need to have mister postman bring me the boards and I will get going on with this!!!!

Thanks again for the time!! It was really very much apreciated!!! Take care.

Roberto