Author Topic: IBM Model F project help.  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Mallowpuff

IBM Model F project help.
« on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 18:29:46 »
Hello everyone! I'm new here. Please let me know if this is the wrong section.

Let me start off with, I've always loved the look of the old Model M/F. I just decided it would be better to get something more modern as my first keyboard. So I got a Ducky Year Of The Rooster.

Well, today while browsing the webs, I found a model F for sale. It looks VERY nice from the pictures. A couple scuffs here and there but overall very good. He said he took all the keys off and cleaned it. No broken keys, all the springs are in order. He found it on the side of the road caked in dirt.

The rubber is separating from the cord and he has no adapter to test the keyboard. I will hopefully be replacing the cord(is that frowned upon here?) with a new USB cord. I know this isn't just putting a new cord on. That's why I'm here.

Mostly I want to know, what all goes into making one of these USB and the ANSI layout? Money and parts. I'm headed to college in a few months so money is very tight. I really want the cheapest way possible that it will work. If that's still too much for me I'll probably leave it as is and try to use an adapter.

I really appreciate any help given. Thanks guys and gals.  ;D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model F project help.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 18:42:33 »
You didn't say which Model F it is, but they all go together approximately the same way.

Here is my guide for the 122:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48786.msg1048948#msg1048948
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Mallowpuff

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 18:45:50 »
I have no idea what model F it is. I can get you the pictures he sent me?

I'll take a look at the guide too!

Model F: AT?

Pictures:

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 May 2018, 19:12:10 by Mallowpuff »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 19:32:10 »
Awesome find! ATs are spiking in price these days. My biggest gripe with them is that the cases are very hard to open and close.

That cable looks bad but might well still work. If it does, a simple AT-to-PS/2 adapter and then a PS/2-to-USB adapter might be all that you need.

If you do crack it open and start messing around with things, and if you have a Dremel, the Alt-mod for a decent space bar is a great thing to do.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline Mallowpuff

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 19:37:26 »
Cost me $15 so I think it's a good price too!

I really appreciate the help. I think we'll try and open it up, to try and fix the cord. I'd rather redo it with a complete USB cord but running adapters sure is cheaper and they can look pretty good.

We do have a dremel and my father absolutely loves to do stuff like that. Is there any decent guides on how to do that mod? Also, any specific recommendations for adapters?

Thanks!!

Offline xueyao

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 20:30:27 »
I've completed converted my AT to ANSI and USB. It's pretty easy actually, the ANSI mod will require you to open up the inner plates and move the springs around, while I used a pro micro for a Soarer's converter for USB. It'll require some soldering, which is pretty easy if you have the tools. Do PM me if you want any detailed help or if you want to buy an adapter as I sell them on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Mallowpuff

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 20:42:46 »
PM'd

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy