Author Topic: [Tutorial] DIY Pressure Pot/Tube (Aka: PressureRocket)  (Read 2911 times)

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
[Tutorial] DIY Pressure Pot/Tube (Aka: PressureRocket)
« on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 18:59:27 »
Hallo and guten Tag,

for I while now I've been obsessed with finding the best process for making artisan keycaps.
On that journey I soon had to realize that I will need some kind of pressure pot.
Meanwhile I had already gotten a vacuum pump/chamber and I did not feel like buying a big, bulky and most of all expansive pressure pot. There had do be an other way. This video is my take on a solution for that problem:

The first version was more of a test. If you want to build one yourself, build the second (PVC-U) version!

Parts Used (2" PVC-U Version):

Tools you need:
  • High grid sandpaper (1000 grid)
  • PVC-Cement
  • Drill/Stepbit 12mm

Disclaimer: If you decide to build this yourself, you are responsible for it’s safety! Don’t pressure it higher than the rated 10bar / 145 PSI! Use it on your own risk!

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
Re: [Tutorial] DIY Pressure Pot/Tube (Aka: PressureRocket)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 15:35:04 »
Whoa, that is a significant cost reduction compared to using metal parts!  :thumb: Great job!

Just one note from me - PVC is not the safest material to use, because it throws shrapnel on rupture.
It would be safer to use HDPE or Polycarbonate, but these are more expensive.

Alternatively you could wrap it with a few layers of elastic plastic net or nylon fabric, so when it ruptures, it lets the air through, but catches the shrapnel.

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
Re: [Tutorial] DIY Pressure Pot/Tube (Aka: PressureRocket)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 06:04:07 »
Sure you don't want to use them outside their rating.
But if you buy pressure PVC-U parts which are especially made to be constantly used with pressures of 10bar (145PSI) and you just use them with 60PSI they should be totally save. But as said it should be the right tube not some random PVC pipe. I got mine from a pool supply store in Germany.

But you are right if you use something you don't trust, put it in a bag or wrap it with tape or fabric.
When I did some pressure test above 15bar with a PP tube from the hardware store (not rated for pressure) I also capt it in a bag... so it was safe when it finally blew up after a while...

The bottom line is don't cheap out on a cheap alternative... there is a reason when the alternative to a 350$ solution costs you 10 instead of 5 bucks  ;)