Author Topic: Hello, and thank you for this place. (model F related)  (Read 2474 times)

Offline corkz

Hello, and thank you for this place. (model F related)
« on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 16:03:56 »
Hello all,

I stumbled onto this place, after getting my hands on a model F AT, that needed to be restored.  Whole thing needed to be taken apart, plate cleaned and painted, new foam cut, the infuriating work of putting it back together AND getting the space bar to work...

Point being, I likely wouldn't have attempted it without this place.  Thanks to all who have posted their experiences on here to help others.
I've attached a pic of my restored F AT not much to look at other than a nice stock clean keyboard.  I haven't done anything fancy to it.  No ANSI mod or USB converter.  The keyboard is plugged into the 386 DX-40 I picked it up with (a steal at $60 CAD these days for the system and FAT keyboard) used for classic DOS stuff and I plan to keep it stock.  Exception is it didn't come with an IBM logo.  Someone had removed it a but some Brandz logo in its place.  I found some old broken Selectric's at the recycler and one had a square black IBM badge.  Cost me 5 bucks, doesn't fit the whole gap, but doesn't look too bad for now until I can get my hands on a broken case with a badge I can use.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the site.  Hope I can help someone here some day half as much as this place has helped me.

corkz

Offline Giorgio

Re: Hello, and thank you for this place. (model F related)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 11:16:21 »
What foam did you buy?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 11:32:49 »
Nice! Black label looks great :thumb:
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline corkz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 22:59:54 »
What foam did you buy?

Went to Michael's Bought Creatology Foam Sheet.  12x18 inch sheet it didn't have a thickness specified.  Honestly it feels a little too thick, but eventually I got everything working nicely.  It does seem like pressure isn't evenly distributed and some areas are way more pingier (sp) than others but it's hard to complain for a few dollars, and doesn't impact performance at all.  Very sturdy, way more than before replacement.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2018, 23:35:43 by corkz »

Offline corkz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 23:13:39 »
Nice! Black label looks great :thumb:

Thanks,
I do think black label IBM badges look super sexy, and if it filled the space completely I would be exceptionally happy with it.  Sadly, it's not perfect, and I will replace it with something that fills the space, likely an XT badge since those are easier to come by, and I honestly plan on restoring the Seletric when I have time.  Seriously though,IBM black label badges are beautiful.  I'd be happier to go that route.  I have ties to a machinist shop, and may consider making a sheet of repro black label badges.   
Looking around at GB's and ****, I'm hesitant to say hey, anybody interested etc...  I think I'll do a few if I can't get get the current XT badge I'm trying to pickup off
deskthority.
But again, black label IBM badges are by far my favourite.  I'd much prefer that to the IBM PC AT silver badge if I can just fill the space. 
Of course all this is moot, if I manage to get my hands on an IBM F 107 for a reasonable price.  I consider that the holy grail for myself.  Just not willing to spend $1000+ CAD for one.  Hell I stumbled onto my FAT by accident, would never have paid current rates for it.  Utterly ridiculous.