Author Topic: If you don't like typing on SA, why is that?  (Read 6163 times)

Offline e_l_tang

If you don't like typing on SA, why is that?
« on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 17:04:35 »
I keep hearing a lot of people saying that they don't like typing on SA, but specific reasons are almost never given.

Offline zslane

Re: If you don't like typing on SA, why is that?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 18:17:20 »
I type almost exclusively on SA, so I love it. But the things folks most often report not liking about SA are (in no particular order):

1. Wobble (too much)
2. Semi-gloss texture (too slick)
3. Keycap height (too high)
4. Top surface of keys (too small and too shallow dishing)
5. Row profile angles (they aren't the same as Cherry/GMK)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 21:33:21 »
wobbly and tall

even more apparent on wobbly switches like zealios
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 00:17:53 »
Being tall is definitely something that throws me off when first using SA caps (or going back to them from DSA/GMK).  Having my hands at a different height throws me off a bit in typing and I find I'm a bit slower initially until I get acclimated to the height of SA.  The other thing I had to get used to is the smaller typing area of SA caps.  The wobble wasn't too bad on my Ducky but a bit more noticeable on the XMIT board but didn't overly bother me.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 01:37:39 »
I like the smooth surface finish of them but the wobble can get annoying. I think my biggest issue with SA is that I mostly use 60%s and the added cap height doesn't look that good on anything smaller than TKL.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:02:58 »
I like row 3 uniform profile (e.g. Nuclear Data Green) but sculptured (e.g. Hack'd by Geeks) never really grabbed me.

Too tall, too wobbly, too much height different between the rows, too much weight on the keycaps for lighter switches.  And for some reason the space bar just wouldn't work properly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:01:06 »
I like row 3 uniform profile (e.g. Nuclear Data Green) but sculptured (e.g. Hack'd by Geeks) never really grabbed me.

^ This.

But my reason is that the angle is too steep.  I always feel like I'm pressing on a slant instead of pressing straight down.  Also look ugly having slanted Esc key.

All row 3 feels nice AND looks nice.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline 3K

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:23:06 »
I love everything about SA ... except the try to adapt it to MX-like switches. Can't live with this wobbly feel...

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 12:54:01 »
Haven't tried uniform row 3 at this point so I can't really comment on it.  I haven't had much difficulty transitioning between DSA and sculptured profiles.  The height of SA throws me off more than anything.  Wondering what the difference for me between R3 and sculptured SA profiles would be. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:16:06 »
R3 SA is about twice as tall as DSA. So imagine the entire keyboard with keycaps twice as high as DSA.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 16:44:46 »
Right, I'm figuring that it's more the height of SA that I will notice than if it's sculptured or not.  Switching between sculptured and flat hasn't really been anything that I noticed or that bothered me at all.

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 17:22:32 »
Well, the difference between uniform and sculptured SA is not that dramatic, IMO. It is obvious when you look closely at two keyboards side-by-side, but in actual use I don't feel a dramatic enough difference to be distracted by it. The difference can also be mitigated a bit by keeping the feet folded in when using sculptured SA and pulling the feet open when using uniform. That way you get a similar angle in either case (not identical, but similar so as to reduce the difference in row heights).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 21:52:46 »
R3 SA is about twice as tall as DSA. So imagine the entire keyboard with keycaps twice as high as DSA.

I didn't notice much wobble with R3 SA, but there was a LOT with sculptured SA.

DSA is too flat to wobble :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 02:09:36 »
I'm running with the keyboard tilted from the front typically, if not flat.  I haven't used the back legs on a keyboard in decades and won't even bother much with keyboards that have a lot of built in tilt that I can't completely negate so the F-row is lower than the spacebar row.

About the only time I don't use negative tilt is for WoW.  Even for FPS games, it's fine with the tilt.