Author Topic: ALPS AKB-3420 vintage board, SKCC Creams, DS caps  (Read 6434 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
ALPS AKB-3420 vintage board, SKCC Creams, DS caps
« on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:47:31 »
ALPS vintage 80ish ascii keyboard (eBay)

112056-0

It's an ALPS AKB-3420 with SKCC Cream (T-mount) switches, cylindrical DS caps, and an awe-inspiring metal case.

Seller (100% positive rating) sez: "Clean but the traces for ribbon connection are in need of retracing. Uses 8048 and 74159 chips. Comes with manual and schematics."

Currently at $27.50 + free shipping, with 1-1/2 days to go on the auction.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: ALPS AKB-3420 vintage board, SKCC Creams, DS caps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:13:19 »
Way cool, except the 'Q'!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 10:04:57 »
That's wicked.

Reprogrammed, that would make a very user-friendly small board. Surprisingly close to modern ANSI.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 21:52:48 »
Would MX keycaps fit on this guy? Or is throwing aftermarket caps onto a 'vintage' board heresy.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 23:06:36 »
Hmm.. Very interesting. I might try and pick this up.  :)

I have never seen this board before.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:25:08 »
would place a bid but i'm not confident i'd get it working :)
beautiful thing!
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 08:46:46 »
Would MX keycaps fit on this guy? Or is throwing aftermarket caps onto a 'vintage' board heresy.
Definitely heresy! Do you know any MX caps that look better than those? D:
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 02:47:58 »
I agree—regardless of its practicality, it's a thing of beauty. I hope we've all been lucky enough, at one time or another, to have had a few girlfriends of that nature.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline openmiceagle

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 02:58:43 »
I appreciate ander's connections of keyboard and women

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 03:12:54 »
I agree—regardless of its practicality, it's a thing of beauty. I hope we've all been lucky enough, at one time or another, to have had a few girlfriends of that nature.
Hahaha :)) . That's pretty brilliant xD .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 04:55:37 »
What, it's not obvious? (At this point I'm tempted to use my Photoshop skills to create a graphic of a Model M with boobs, but it's nearly 3 a.m. so I'll excuse myself.)

Offline snuci

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:34:49 »
Just saw this post.  I was hoping nobody would see it on eBay :)  I was the person who picked this up.  I will try to use this as a period keyboard for one of my vintage computers. It was a pretty good deal with low shipping to Canada.  There are three trace holes I need to fix as someone unsoldered the keyboard wire (who knows why?) but it looks like a great keyboard with docs including the schematic.  Worst case, I add some jumpers.

Here's some pics if you're curious:

113001-0
Alps AKB-3420 - complete

113003-1
Alps AKB-3420 - profile

113005-2
Alps AKB-3420 - front of keyboard assembly

113007-3
Alps AKB-3420 - back of board

113009-4
Alps AKB-3420 - keyboard assembly profile

113011-5
Alps AKB-3420 - serial number

113013-6
Alps AKB-3420 - key caps removed

113015-7
Alps AKB-3420 - back of key caps

113017-8
Alps AKB-3420 - empty case internals

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 18:26:51 »
Lovely! A very nice board :) .

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:44:17 »
Congrats, Snuci! And what a great price for such a wonderful piece of hardware in excellent shape.

Are those vintage T-mount Alpses extra-sproingy? I love the sound they make on the Teensy-convertible NIB Japanese/Chinese IBM boards some of us picked up earlier this year (a few of which, incredibly, are still available on eBay). Dorkvader was moved to dub them "Pingmasters".

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 01:50:56 »
Congrats, Snuci! And what a great price for such a wonderful piece of hardware in excellent shape.

Are those vintage T-mount Alpses extra-sproingy? I love the sound they make on the Teensy-convertible NIB Japanese/Chinese IBM boards some of us picked up earlier this year (a few of which, incredibly, are still available on eBay). Dorkvader was moved to dub them "Pingmasters".
I'm performing serious modifications to mine and I have determined the source of the ping to be the plate. I preferred the "pingmaster" to the competing term "pingsaver", which I disliked it because it's based on the SSK and the "jokingly termed" unsaver.

Anyway I suspect this won't "ping" as much due to the shorter plate.

Excellent KB though. The case construction is very similar to hall effect KBs

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:48:35 »
Anyway I suspect this won't "ping" as much due to the shorter plate...

I hereby request that Snuci make an audio demo of his new acquisition so we can determine that in a more informed manner.

Ideally, he could also get one of those bargain NIB Asian IBMs and do a side-by-side demo. That would be the only authoritative way to resolve such an important controversy regarding high-level pinginess.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:53:00 by ander »

Offline snuci

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:01:02 »
Anyway I suspect this won't "ping" as much due to the shorter plate...

I hereby request that Snuci make an audio demo of his new acquisition so we can determine that in a more informed manner.

Ideally, he could also get one of those bargain NIB Asian IBMs and do a side-by-side demo. That would be the only authoritative way to resolve such an important controversy regarding high-level pinginess.

Actually, I was going to compare it to my other Alps keyboard that appears to be the same vintage with a longer plate. Can someone describe exactly what "ping" is?  Is it a hollow sound?  If there is a post describing this, please let me know.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:08:55 »
Actually, I was going to compare it to my other Alps keyboard that appears to be the same vintage with a longer plate. Can someone describe exactly what "ping" is?  Is it a hollow sound?  If there is a post describing this, please let me know.

That board is awesome. The layout and the colorway are so sick.

Offline snuci

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 18:18:33 »

Would this work?  I did a couple of other keyboards too.  I really don't know if this helps but here are the keyboards:

1. Alps AKB-3420 (this thread)
2. Alps 12KC155C (thread)
3. Polymorphic Systems keyboard (thread)
4. IMSAI IKB-1 (thread)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 05:11:02 »
Thanks for the video, Snuci. (Smooth editing, too!) However, I must be frank and say that none of your otherwise quite cool vintage KBs are in the Pingmaster's league in terms of sheer pinginess.

By "ping", we mean an actual ringing, bell-like sound that lingers briefly after you've released a key. As Dork theorized, it's the IBM 6112884 and 6113442's combination of vintage T-mount Alps switches and substantial metal plate design that give them their unique, world-dominating pinginess. (But then, Ping is a Chinese name, ha ha.)

Knowing how great these boards are, it's all I can do to keep myself from ordering up, like, 10 more of them before they're gone forever. (Well, there's the idea of staying married, too.) Don't let the shipping cost dissuade you; for some reason the seller selected Expedited Shipping by default. Standard Shipping is also available for about half as much.

That said, none of this is meant to detract from the splendour of your swell new purchase, nor any of the other remarkable boards you've shared with us. We may have gotten a bit sidetracked.