Author Topic: That thing with the baltimore bridge  (Read 483 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
That thing with the baltimore bridge
« on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 15:21:28 »
Watch, they're gonna use it as an excuse to raise prices on everything. Related or not.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: That thing with the baltimore bridge
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 15:45:48 »
Watch, they're gonna use it as an excuse to raise bridges

Show Image

Offline xjack312

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 15:53:32 »
Drove it daily for my last job, still creeps me out thinking about it
Alice enjoyer

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 16:11:20 »
Drove it daily for my last job, still creeps me out thinking about it

Bridges are creepy period since we've let our road system get into such disrepair. I live in Pgh., PA & get anxious every time I get stuck in traffic on one of our bridges. When big trucks come over & your sitting on them you can literally feel the bounce caused by the weight of the trucks! Also when that bridge collapsed on 35W in Minneapolis years ago, I was literally driving there for work & my route was supposed to go right over it. So that has always stuck in my head too. Oh also TP, you're right. The price of everything is gonna skyrocket cause of this one whether it's something that would come through the B-more port or not. Gas already went up $0.04 a gal overnight here in Pgh......

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 16:17:17 »
On the stupid interviews, they're already crying mommy saying things like, OMG this one port does half million tons of LNG a month.

That's around 1.7% of US LNG, spread across all east coast ports, that's nothing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 16:21:20 »
Bridges are creepy period since we've let our road system get into such disrepair. I live in Pgh., PA & get anxious every time I get stuck in traffic on one of our bridges. When big trucks come over & your sitting on them you can literally feel the bounce caused by the weight of the trucks!

Yup,yup The new york bridges arn't any better, traffic every morning, the whole bridge is shaking even when nothing's moving.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 17:04:26 »
Whenever I hear some moron say "small government" as if that is something good, I shake my head in disbelief.

This is the modern world - we NEED a whole lot of BIG  THINGS and who is supposed to do that?

Do they imagine that a "private bridge company" would do a better job?
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline G

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 March 2024, 21:09:49 »
Whenever I hear some moron say "small government" as if that is something good, I shake my head in disbelief.

This is the modern world - we NEED a whole lot of BIG  THINGS and who is supposed to do that?

I guess the important distinction is between "big" as in "involved" and "big" as in "tyrannical". One might imagine other more federated, syndicalist forms of ruling bodies that may be just as, if not more coordinated, as well as "smaller" in the sense of being more democratic and promoting more autonomy and free association, but I digress. You're not entirely wrong in your observation that most "small guberment" types find regulation itself to be authoritarian, and would naively entrust private companies with infrastructure management.
More order is needed, this does not mean that the government needs more power to order people around.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2024, 21:26:49 by G »
Typing on a: Lynn Montage | Cherry MX Red | Top Mounted Aluminum Plate | Cherry 3000SAV dye-sub

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 03:06:58 »

If we could, I think we should make "small government" mean something else than what greedy interests are trying to sell to us as a quick solution.
In my opinion, we need both big central and small local governments: to both do great things and to give people more local control: more democracy, not less.