Author Topic: [IC] PBT Blocks  (Read 12822 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
[IC] PBT Blocks
« on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:44:32 »
PBT Blocks

■■■■
Note: Project placed on hold until I get further legal clarity, as further discussions on a project that might never make it to GB isn't particularly useful. Also if this proceeds it will be likely be by a PBT manufacturer than GMK for various reasons.
In the mean-time check out KAT Great Wave, which is what I'm working most actively on
■■■■

The Spin

This set is a simple homage to everyone's favourite equilateral, equiangular rectangle, the humble square. It is definitely not a tribute to those damn iconic blocks that we’ve all spent hours fruitlessly rotating, frustratingly waiting for the ideal piece to come, whilst trying to not suffocate under the weight of previous mistakes. However, nothing matches that satisfying sense of accomplishment when you do clear all the clutter... only for it to build up again (yeah take a look around your room you filthy animal).
Some say it’s also a metaphor for the struggle against the futility of life.

What was I saying again? Anyways, before you continue on, I suggest setting the atmosphere by playing this indie song you’ve probably never heard of called Korobeiniki in the background before you continue on :D

■■■■

Combos

Score [Core]

Besides typical coverage of ANSI 60%-100% and F13 1800s; Iso (terminal), Basic 40s, Van support, and other shift sizes (2u, 1.75u, 1.5u, 1.25u, 1u, additional 2.25u) are also included

Levels [Latin Alphas]

Lines [Spacebar]

1c x 2, 1.25c, 2c x 2, 2.25c, 2.75c, 3c, 6c centered & 6c off-centered stem spacebars

T-Spin [Novelties]

■■■■

Desk Matrixes
- WIP -

Isometric

The Grid

There will be a more complex Deskmat done in pixelart that is currently being designed called 'Cityblocks'

The following designs I'm less set on, but if there's interest, do let me know:
More
T-Pose
Pattern credit to: Kisscc0

You Complete Me
Note this is a stock vector image that I've purchased the license to use

■■■■

Play

Here’s some renders interspersed with witty quotes to fill up your screen:

“It’s taught me that errrors pile up and accomplishments disappear”

More

“If you try to fit in, you’ll disappear”

“The better your execution, the less bull**** you have to deal with”

More

"Life can get out of control and can pile up on you, but if you take your time and remain calm, you can sort it all out."

More

“You spend most of your time trying to find a place to put your long, thin piece...and when you finally find a spot for it, everything you have worked so hard for just disappears."

More

“Life is just a struggle to survive increasingly difficult circumstances until you're inevitably overwhelmed and die.”

“It is actually a simulator of building the Berlin Wall.”

More

“To some it is frustration incarnate. It’s repetitive! It’s impossible to win! It’s driven by luck! But to me, it became the truest representation of life there is.  You can simply put yourself in the best possible position without seeking to completely control the system you play in. No one tells you when you’ve won. Your only opponent is yourself.”

More

“In Soviet Russia, T■tr■s Plays You”

“Most problems can be solved by a long stiff one”

Board credits: U80-A by Rama Works ; Candybar by The Key Company ; Nemui by Bachoo ; Pillow65 by KeliumWorks ; Isometria by ebastier ; The Paragon by Artemis Design ; TKC1800 by The Key Company ; Dalco 959 Mini by Hand Engineering; SP-111 by BlindAssassin111
■■■■

Hold
Collaborations to be confirmed
If you’re an artisan, cable, or keeb-related peripheral maker, feel free to DM me!

■■■■

Drop
Regional vendors to be lined up first, before prices and dates can be confirmed

■■■■

Design
Featuring:
Tetrominoes
Double-shot legends

Colours:
All colours are stock GMK colours for affordability purposes if this set remains GMK
White - [CP]
Black - [CR]

Inspirations:
GMK Dots (Biip), GMK Polybius (Nathanalphaman), GMK Pixel (Mitos), and PBT Triangle (Geon)

Am I set on GMK?
No. Depending on feedback, and pricing quotes, I will strongly consider switching manufacturer choice if the right pieces don’t align

■■■■

Next

※Gather Feedback
※Refine Kitting
※Desk Mats
※Gather Collabs
※Appoint Vendors
※Announce Pricing
※Announce Group Buy Date

■■■■

Give feedback on kitting - should Blocks or Letters be the base kit?

■■■■

Stay on top of the clutter

via Discord Server
Watch as all the pieces fall into place

via Email
Surprise, it’s the feedback form. Just fill out the first question, and maybe the others too, because if you’re a fan of this theme, I know you’re not a quitter

Other Socials
Discord Username:  BobaSweatandTears#8008
Onlyfans:  Only Tears #69

(⌐■_■)
Stay square
BobaSweatandTears

■■■■
Credits
These were the missing pieces helped me cleared the much needed lines to get to this level:
※ To the minds behind all the quotes I referenced without any attribution
More
※Thanks especially to those who have contributed various resources over time to let newcomers also try a hand at designing stuff
※ Thanks to those who leave crumbs of their kitting wisdom in various threads, previous sets' kits and Discord (Konstantin, NoPunin10Did, DrHigsby)
※ Other top blocks are HungHingDaiLo (GMK Maestro), Swishy (KAM 80s), Hark and Loop who gave me considered feedback throughout
※ Dudeship (KAT Great Wave) and Pseudoalpaca (KAT Space Dust) - co-designers on those projects for their moral support when it comes to this hobby
※ Shout out to Imperfectlink for the Blender render lessons. I suck a bit less, but KRK is fun.
※ Biip - Never spoken to you mate, but GMK Dots and GMK Awaken inspired me to try something non-conventional
※ NathanAlphaMan and Octix - Kitting structure was partially based off GMK Polybius which is also another cool creative arcade concept, currently in GB
※ To all the respective keyboard designers for granting permission to visualise this fun looking set on their beautiful keyboard designs
※ A Russian programmer

■■■■
Signature
You can support the project by adding this banner to your signature
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=XXX][img width=350 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/l2YzTue.png[/img][/url]

Banner
■■■■

I want you to know that I know you now have the theme song stuck in your head now. You’re welcome :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 May 2021, 13:23:27 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Bobatype

Re: GMK Blocks
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:44:59 »
Reserved  :blank:

Change-log
※ Initial IC posted - X/X/2021

To Do List
※ Gather Feedback
※ Finalise Kitting - Ergo, Novelties
※ Consolidate Desk Mats
※ Vendors
※ Collaborations
※ Samples
※ Announce Pricing
※ Fix a Group Buy Date

Questions that aren’t frequently asked, but I wish to answer

Can you make Latin Alphas the core kit?
More
If for some reason this set becomes popular enough to offer two base kits, I’d love to offer it, but at the moment, I’m trying the weirder option as core, but am wavering towards latin alphas as core.

How do you intend to do the Enter and Caps Lock novelties?
More
If this remains GMK, the white lines and text will be pad-printed.

Isn't this a bit similar to GMK Dots, but with squares?
More
Yes, I was inspired by Biip’s creative design, but wanted to add a nostalgic gamer twist to the abstract non-text modifier keycap set concept. I was also inspired by the arcade concept of GMK Polybius.  I feel that the alphas might be a bit controversial, and won't deny I was influenced by PBT Triangle by Geon

Are you committed to GMK as the manufacturer?
More
No, I am open to other manufacturers (co-designing KAT Great Wave, Space Dust & PBT Graydient), but I’m personally most familiar in person with GMK keycap sets, and would like to do one with them

Will you consider doing an OG retro green/black variant?
More
If there’s ever enough interest, one day I’d loved to do a retro version for fellow boomers one day, which might even have lower MOQ due to less colours. I’d reference the classic portable console with a “greenscale” LCD screen of my childhood, where each block has a different inner pattern. But for now, the modern multicoloured variant is what I’m running now.

Isn't the reference you're deriving inspiration from an issue?
More
What reference? I am merely using the pattern of polyominoes, which are not unique shapes. Furthermore the alpha legends are a simple 1 x 1 block. There is no gameplay element at all in this design. Wikipedia states that the U.S. Copyright Office will not register a work that merely consists of common geometric shapes:
"The Copyright Act does not protect common geometric shapes, either in two-dimensional or three-dimensional form. There are numerous common geometric shapes, including, without limitation, straight or curved lines, circles, ovals, spheres, triangles, cones, squares, squares, cubes, rectangles, diamonds, trapezoids, parallelograms, pentagons, hexagons, heptagons, octagons, and decagons.". However if **** happens, and this can’t continue on, c'est la vie
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:09:27 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline of_sam

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:48:10 »
I hate this more than I hate myself.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline sloth.

• Corne gang
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:52:34 »
No thanks, I am not interested
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:54:29 by sloth. »

Offline productkun

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:53:02 »
Keyset looks looks very bland imho.
Modifiers are just colourful Tetris pieces without much effort or thought to it.

Don't like it at all sorry

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:54:20 »
This is like dots but better

Offline Afresh

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:56:17 »
I kinda wish alphas were more... interesting?

But I love mods!

Offline hkiri

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:02:17 »
Yeah please don't.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:04:51 »
Modifiers are just colourful Tetris pieces without much effort or thought to it.

You not liking it is one thing. but honestly the rest of your comment and analysis of the set is what took little to no effort and a lot of self entitlement.

The full post came in with what would be expected of a well put together IC and the blocks seem to be well designed, colour combined and some renders thrown into the mix as well, so not sure if your requirement for more effort is being confused with simply not liking the set. In any case, bit of an undeserved comment.

I like the set, imo, i would prefer to just buy the mods and Latin alphas since i don't own GMK wob and would use with some sort of mod set anyway. With this i would suggest to make the mods a separate pack.

Good work on the IC, will be looking forward to how this progresses.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:06:35 by lolpes »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:08:21 »
Fantastic work, bobas! Very well put together IC! GLWIC!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:21:19 »
Yeah please don't.
No, I will, try and stop me :)

This is like dots but better
Thanks for the compliment. Dots stands on its own as one of the first ones to break the mold of typical GMK designs, and I'm just following in its path.

I couldn't find a way to balance all the varied colours of the blocks (they have a specific colour system to be true to theme) without using a black background. I'm open to feedback on how to improve the modifiers if you've got any suggestions.

I kinda wish alphas were more... interesting?

But I love mods!
Thanks! The initial concept was with Latin alphas, to let the mods standout, because I didn't want the alphas to compete with the colour modifiers. I'm open to other ideas of trialling other alphas if needed, or reverting back to Latin as core.

No thanks, I am not interested
All good. Thanks for letting me know your disinterest.

I hate this more than I hate myself.
You should go and love yourself  ;D

You not liking it is one thing. but honestly the rest of your comment and analysis of the set is what took little to no effort and a lot of self entitlement.

The full post came in with what would be expected of a well put together IC and the blocks seem to be well designed, colour combined and some renders thrown into the mix as well, so not sure if your requirement for more effort is being confused with simply not liking the set. In any case, bit of an undeserved comment.

I like the set, imo, i would prefer to just buy the mods and Latin alphas since i don't own GMK wob and would use with some sort of mod set anyway. With this i would suggest to make the mods a separate pack.

Thanks for kind comments! I'm still considering making latin alphas the base, so do submit a feedback form.
I'm not sure if GMK kitting permits me to split alphas from modifiers (i've never seen it done before) to let people pick their own option like KAT sets though.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:31:03 »
Interesting concept, but I couldn't see myself actually using it. Also, obligatory warning about Tetris IP defense.

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:35:30 »
this feels oddly familiar :thinkPepe:

Offline productkun

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:41:24 »

What's wrong with giving my opinion on a keyset?
There is nothing wrong with the IC itself, he has his renders, he shows his kitting, he didn't do a half assed job.

I just don't like how the keyset looks together with the Modifiers. It's just a plain Tetris block, like its missing flair.
Maybe I'd prefer them aligned instead of the mod blocks being centered.

Look at GMK Polybius for example it has the same kind of playfulness, just executed better imho.

Also there is nothing ****ing wrong with my comment, I looked at the keyset, didn't like how it looked and told it. Would you have prefered if I didn't tell him anything? I told it's plain, I said the same thing here, just with more text this time.

Offline Pach

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 11:44:57 »
I guess these same-symbol alphas are becoming somewhat of a trend ^-^

Offline Shiro

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:10:28 »
Isn't the guy who made Tetris very protective of his IP? I might be wrong about that but if he is your kinda ****ed.. gl

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:12:20 »
This is GOLD!!! Absolute stunning work bobas!  :cool: :cool:

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:18:54 »
Looking at the comments this seems like a love it or hate it set. I love the mods, and especially the novelty with the “NEXT” box. Good luck bobas :thumb:

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:25:06 »

There is nothing wrong with the IC itself, he has his renders, he shows his kitting, he didn't do a half assed job.

I just don't like how the keyset looks together with the Modifiers. It's just a plain Tetris block, like its missing flair.

Look at GMK Polybius for example it has the same kind of playfulness, just executed better imho.

Also there is nothing ****ing wrong with my comment, I looked at the keyset, didn't like how it looked and told it. Would you have prefered if I didn't tell him anything? I told it's plain, I said the same thing here, just with more text this time.

Nothing wrong with your opinion. But If you don’t like it, why did you bother to show up here and express that? Further, you’re still here defending your opinion that you don’t like it. Bobas even notes your disinterest above.

Bobas, have you tried doing two horizontal blocks next to each other for alphas? That might offer something more “interesting” to look at! The mods have thin black lines between blocks that allows for the distinctive shapes to be viewable, whereas the alphas do not have that. Just a suggestion!

Offline Jebus

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:46:16 »
I dig the idea personally, although I do think that a Tetris inspired set could use a bit more color. Just a thought, but maybe colored mods would liven up the set, have you tried something like that yet?

Offline CosminOance

• 'tis the season to be yourself
    • PixelDrama.club by Cosmin Oance
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 12:52:19 »
Hi,
First off, I'd like to wish you lots of luck with this.
As others have said, the Tetris IP holder has had (and won) more than his fair share of trials.
Included in the copyright/IP are also these shapes:

If the community and the project might be small enough to go unnoticed, a german company such as GMK might have issues printing copyright infringing materials.
There is a thing that's bugging me. The renders are using different symbols for the same keys (one example is left alt being the same key as right control, but also other random piece locations, like ESC and 2 modifiers being a square). I realise this may be due to the playful, random experience of the game itself, in concept. But since in reality you can't really just place any key anywhere without having odd distributions of R1-4 size rows, you might want to be specific about number of novelties, their location etc.

Offline productkun

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:13:01 »

Nothing wrong with your opinion. But If you don’t like it, why did you bother to show up here and express that? Further, you’re still here defending your opinion that you don’t like it. Bobas even notes your disinterest above.

Bobas, have you tried doing two horizontal blocks next to each other for alphas? That might offer something more “interesting” to look at! The mods have thin black lines between blocks that allows for the distinctive shapes to be viewable, whereas the alphas do not have that. Just a suggestion!
It's an IC to gain Interested, I love Tetris, just didn't like how it was implemented.

Edit: Looks like the heart Tetris wasn't even made by him, you can find it with google search. That one is low effort for sure: https://www.123rf.com/photo_52244017_stock-vector-valentines-day-card-video-game-tetris-red-heart-retro-vintage-design-editable-vector-.html
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:15:38 by productkun »

Offline piit79

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:13:38 »
I'm surprised by the number of negative comments... I like this a lot!

I would personally love blank alphas with the block mods for my ortho, and then perhaps different coloured blocks made up of caps within alphas. I know, probably not doable, but one can dream, right?

I'd expect GMK to be expensive due to the number of new molds required for the legends. I'd  consider InfiniKey or ePBT if you prefer Cherry, or even KAT. I know much prefer PBT over ABS.

Shame about the IP... Not sure there's any way around that outside of asking for permission - who knows, maybe you could get it :)

Anyway, good work and good luck, will be following with interest!

Offline gilbert

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:14:22 »
Keycap designer discord at its finest
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:15:43 »
Would be in for blocks base kit :) For novelties, I don't think they add enough to the base kit to be a novelty set. Nothing comes to my mind to give you a suggestion on what would be good novelty set though.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:23:07 »
My biggest concern isnt the blocks copyrighted

https://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/tetris-copyright-decision-shows-how-complicated-copyright-for-games-can-be/
'
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19533219

all you have to do is look it up and can find it in alot of places.

I also personally think you should slow down with the sets. You have about now 4 different sets in IC where none of them have hit the point of the GB if I am not mistaken. Im all for having multiple ICs after the first GB but would say for now slow it down focus on one. Get the process under your belt, color matching down etc and then by all means go wild.  Having so many different ICs as a consumer makes me fear you wont really put your all into a set that hits GB and ready to just drop it to focus the next one.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:39:41 by Raravin »

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:29:10 »
is this Suisei approved
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:30:40 »
I love the concept, Not a fan of the execution.

Offline lucia

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:40:14 »
As someone who is quite active in the Tetris community and has seen quite a few free fangames get DMCA striked by the Tetris Company (which has an absolute iron grip on many of the brandings that make a Tetris game a Tetris game), despite not having the Tetris label inside of their name:
This keyset will likely not last, especially considering money is involved in some capacity. I'm not telling you to take this keyset down or whatever, that'd be quite frankly ridiculous - just keep this in mind if you go ahead with a GB.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:44:20 »
You have something like 4 ICs now for sets without even one project that's gone through a complete groupbuy.

IMHO, it's time to slow down. Focus on executing at least one idea to the end first before you start making new ICs just to throw your ideas out into the void.

Keyset design/groupbuys are a lengthy and time-consuming process. If you're unfamiliar with how much effort it requires, it's easy to find yourself overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 13:49:51 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 14:33:02 »
You have something like 4 ICs now for sets without even one project that's gone through a complete groupbuy.

IMHO, it's time to slow down. Focus on executing at least one idea to the end first before you start making new ICs just to throw your ideas out into the void.

Keyset design/groupbuys are a lengthy and time-consuming process. If you're unfamiliar with how much effort it requires, it's easy to find yourself overwhelmed.

As someone who is quite active in the Tetris community and has seen quite a few free fangames get DMCA striked by the Tetris Company (which has an absolute iron grip on many of the brandings that make a Tetris game a Tetris game), despite not having the Tetris label inside of their name:
This keyset will likely not last, especially considering money is involved in some capacity. I'm not telling you to take this keyset down or whatever, that'd be quite frankly ridiculous - just keep this in mind if you go ahead with a GB.

+1. Wise words.

I can see the inspiration from Polybius. Keep in mind Polybius used printed legends, whereas you want to do them double-shot. Many colours plus all new moulds = high price with high MOQ. Add on proprietary issues, and the fact that you have a few projects underway: a set like this is most likely doomed for being prohibitively ambitious, at least in the short term.

You might want to consider making some concessions: going the printed route, or maybe limiting it to a modifier kit. I'm not sure. If you really want to do something retro gaming styled, you could consider a pacman-themed set that can make use of the GMK Dots mould or something. Just an idea. Not sure that it's apparent that there's a lot of interest here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 14:51:21 by mustardgreens »

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 14:50:30 »
This is one of these sets that are better off as just novelties and not a whole set onto itself.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:01:01 »
van support in base  :thumb:

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:16:35 »
Like the idea, but was wondering if it would be better if it wasn't just on black keys, but on grey keys, like GMK DMG? 

Also, I would be concerned about copyright.

Offline Pach

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:44:27 »

I just noticed that you have 4 ICs right now. Please consider this advice. Unless you're some kind of god, I highly doubt that you will be able to focus on all your ICs without neglecting a single one. They're all completely different designs, and now you have a GMK set with new molds and IP to worry about. Of course it's your decision to make, but I am a little yikes rn honestly tbh ngl

Offline Tree_

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 16:13:14 »
Having 4 concurrently running IC's and the fact that TTC doesn't play when it comes to use of their IP makes me think this one ain't it.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 18:55:37 »
Hey bobas

There's nothing I'm saying here that we haven't already talked about in our DMs.

Others made the same point regarding IP and trademarks that I've made with you privately. I'm sure you'll make the right decision to consult an IP lawyer before proceeding. None of us have any legal credentials to make the right assessment on intellectual property.

I'm super supportive of sets that try to break the mold (no pun intended). I also see all the time and effort you've put into this. I think this is a great concept and just needs further work on refining it.

Good luck with IC!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:20:07 »

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:22:51 »

Looks like the heart Tetris wasn't even made by him, you can find it with google search. That one is low effort for sure: https://www.123rf.com/photo_52244017_stock-vector-valentines-day-card-video-game-tetris-red-heart-retro-vintage-design-editable-vector-.html

Yikes

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen an asset flip deskmat, but I agree, it's a yikes.

Offline productkun

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:39:08 »
The "T-Pose" Deskmat is also just straight from the Internet: https://www.kisscc0.com/clipart/tetris-op-art-optical-illusion-tetris-t-block-4rpc5w/

That's what I mean with low effort post, you had an Idea and didn't even take your time to decently flush out stuff and rushed out an IC imho.

Offline Owl

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 19:49:32 »
I want to start off by saying that I am only being so critical because I LOVE the idea and I really want to see this be the best it can be. I have been a stupid big fan of Tetris for some time and have been playing 40L competitively for around 8 years. So I am absolutely going to come off as some elitist ******* here haha. But I really don't mean to be I just want someone to make a set like this and do it justice.

My Feedback:
Legal concerns, yeah like everyone else said. However if you could manage to get the blessings from TTC or Alexey Pajitnov, though I doubt he has much control over this IP anymore lol, that would be fantastic and would allow you to go so much further with this.

Design wise, I would have to agree with some comments that, at first glance, it does come off as a little "bland". And I think that mostly comes from the focus being on Tetrominos themselves instead of associating this set with a time period or a theme. For example, instead of doing plain black and white for the base color and legend color, you could pick a color palette based off of one of the countless versions of Tetris that have been made. You could do something retro like the Tetris 1989 Gameboy version which has a fantastic beige/green palette. Or the NES version which features that 8-bit style of color, which would definitely make the set stand out quite a bit from others. That version is also the official version of CTWC which would garner a lot of respect and attention. "Tetris Friends" was a huge part of the Tetris community for the longest time before it was taken down and features a very playful and colorful color palette with a lot of soft accents. There is also the community additions to the game like Nullpomino and JStris. (maybe reach out to them to see how they circumvent IP stuff). Theres so much out there. And inspiring this theme from any one or more of those themes could really make it "pop" and add a lot of polish and excitement.

On the topic of the novelties, I think it would make a lot more sense to put the "drop" and "spin" keys on the arrow keys as this is what many PC ports have "up" and "down" do by default and what a lot of players map them too. This would actually be more than a novelty in this case and potentially a real benefit for new players who wanted to experiment with new keybindings as they could use these keys to keep track and learn the setup.

In that same vein, the "Hold" novelty makes more sense on either r-shift, r-alt, or r-ctrl as the left hand typically uses one of those keys for hold. Caps lock is too far away for keyboard tetris and that key is rarely, if ever, bound to anything. The Enter key as "Next" is fine and doesnt "need" to make sense.

A suggestion, if you find that there is just too much color going on, which I actually haven't decided for myself if there is or not yet in this iteration, you can add gray blocks which are featured in many versions of the game. The gray blocks could help balance out colored tetrominos.

Also this set would look GREAT on Ortho keyboards. Maybe a clever gimmick could be in order? Like just solid colored keycaps so people could build the Tetrominos right on their keyboard? I don't know. But I feel like there is some kind of opportunity there with Ortho.

As for the nav cluster, I think references to some of the mechanics would be better than just generic words. For example you could reference DAS, ARR, IHS, IRS. And in the case of open source tetris clones, these could be mapped to be actual functions on a layer. Which would be sick. But that might be a little too elitist and not appeal to as many people so take that one with a grain of salt. (take all of this with a grain of salt tbh)

What I like so far:
I actually like just the plain white blocks as the alphas as this actually represents the ghost that is used in many variations of the game.

I think the Tetrominos that you chose for the bottom row in the base kit is PERFECT. Whether intentional or not, the green and red Z keys can be interchanged to indicate spin direction, which those keys are commonly mapped to. This makes them attractive and functional.

In short, you did a few things right. And its a good start. But there is a LOT of untapped potential here. And I really want to see it shine because again, I ****ing love tetris. Expect me to be giving feedback every step of the way for this one and if it turns out good, I will buy more base kits than your vendors are even remotely prepared for lol.

Anyway GLWIC

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
GMK Blocks
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 20:00:07 »
The "T-Pose" Deskmat is also just straight from the Internet: https://www.kisscc0.com/clipart/tetris-op-art-optical-illusion-tetris-t-block-4rpc5w/

That's what I mean with low effort post, you had an Idea and didn't even take your time to decently flush out stuff and rushed out an IC imho.

I think the criticism on the other deskmat is valid considering the licensing.

But in bobas' defense, your link specifically says the design is free for personal and commercial use.

Code: [Select]
Image License
Free for personal and commercial use
Attribution is not required. Giving credit to Kisscc0 is not necessary but is always appreciated by our community.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 20:13:23 by esclab »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 20:11:34 »
I want to start off by saying that I am only being so critical because I LOVE the idea and I really want to see this be the best it can be. I have been a stupid big fan of Tetris for some time and have been playing 40L competitively for around 8 years. So I am absolutely going to come off as some elitist ******* here haha. But I really don't mean to be I just want someone to make a set like this and do it justice.

My Feedback:
Legal concerns, yeah like everyone else said. However if you could manage to get the blessings from TTC or Alexey Pajitnov, though I doubt he has much control over this IP anymore lol, that would be fantastic and would allow you to go so much further with this.

Design wise, I would have to agree with some comments that, at first glance, it does come off as a little "bland". And I think that mostly comes from the focus being on Tetrominos themselves instead of associating this set with a time period or a theme. For example, instead of doing plain black and white for the base color and legend color, you could pick a color palette based off of one of the countless versions of Tetris that have been made. You could do something retro like the Tetris 1989 Gameboy version which has a fantastic beige/green palette. Or the NES version which features that 8-bit style of color, which would definitely make the set stand out quite a bit from others. That version is also the official version of CTWC which would garner a lot of respect and attention. "Tetris Friends" was a huge part of the Tetris community for the longest time before it was taken down and features a very playful and colorful color palette with a lot of soft accents. There is also the community additions to the game like Nullpomino and JStris. (maybe reach out to them to see how they circumvent IP stuff). Theres so much out there. And inspiring this theme from any one or more of those themes could really make it "pop" and add a lot of polish and excitement.

On the topic of the novelties, I think it would make a lot more sense to put the "drop" and "spin" keys on the arrow keys as this is what many PC ports have "up" and "down" do by default and what a lot of players map them too. This would actually be more than a novelty in this case and potentially a real benefit for new players who wanted to experiment with new keybindings as they could use these keys to keep track and learn the setup.

In that same vein, the "Hold" novelty makes more sense on either r-shift, r-alt, or r-ctrl as the left hand typically uses one of those keys for hold. Caps lock is too far away for keyboard tetris and that key is rarely, if ever, bound to anything. The Enter key as "Next" is fine and doesnt "need" to make sense.

A suggestion, if you find that there is just too much color going on, which I actually haven't decided for myself if there is or not yet in this iteration, you can add gray blocks which are featured in many versions of the game. The gray blocks could help balance out colored tetrominos.

Also this set would look GREAT on Ortho keyboards. Maybe a clever gimmick could be in order? Like just solid colored keycaps so people could build the Tetrominos right on their keyboard? I don't know. But I feel like there is some kind of opportunity there with Ortho.

As for the nav cluster, I think references to some of the mechanics would be better than just generic words. For example you could reference DAS, ARR, IHS, IRS. And in the case of open source tetris clones, these could be mapped to be actual functions on a layer. Which would be sick. But that might be a little too elitist and not appeal to as many people so take that one with a grain of salt. (take all of this with a grain of salt tbh)

What I like so far:
I actually like just the plain white blocks as the alphas as this actually represents the ghost that is used in many variations of the game.

I think the Tetrominos that you chose for the bottom row in the base kit is PERFECT. Whether intentional or not, the green and red Z keys can be interchanged to indicate spin direction, which those keys are commonly mapped to. This makes them attractive and functional.

In short, you did a few things right. And its a good start. But there is a LOT of untapped potential here. And I really want to see it shine because again, I ****ing love tetris. Expect me to be giving feedback every step of the way for this one and if it turns out good, I will buy more base kits than your vendors are even remotely prepared for lol.

Anyway GLWIC
This is one of the better comments here. Thanks for the constructive feedback.
I am definitely contemplating if going for a retro green LED variant of the theme, with patterned blocks, might be a better way to iterate the theme, especially since my childhood was spent playing it on portables.
The drop and spin terms are in the novelty kits for 65%/75% and could potentially be used in place of the arrows.
I appreciate the novelty  suggestions. I was considering hold in various locations, and mainly put it on Caps lock to just balance it symmetrically with the Enter Next novelty. I was also considering if it was better to make the delete key the long I piece as it's the piece that's most often used for clearing lines, but I had difficulty fitting it on 1u backspace keys.

I agree Ortho would really flourish with this concept, and I had to stop myself from adding too many coloured blanks to the novelties. Maybe if kitting MOQ would permit more ortho compatibility that be cool. I'll need to see if the manufacturer I ultimately go with permits Ortho kitting.
Those mechanics are super hardcore, and probably not likely on an ABS doubleshot set, but if I turned this idea into PBT dyesub and there was an ortho/40s kit, those might serve as great non-specific legends to avoid duplicate physical keys.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 20:55:30 »
Re: TTC/IP stuff
Read my answer in the FAQ in second post. I'm aware of their litigious nature and appreciate all the concerns/warnings. I have been slowly developing this set for about 2 months, and done some research myself and a lot of thinking about it in my spare time, but I believe that due to not having any gameplay, and tetrominos are simple mathematical concepts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetromino), and thus not wholly pertaining to TTC, that using it as just modifier legends, this doesn't cross copyright territory.  Thus I will continue to press on. But I am ready and aware that I might need to step back and let this project go if there's significant manu and vendor concerns about the viability of this set. I totally understand and aware of the concerns (trust me I've been thinking about it for weeks), and if this IC never eventuates to GB, then that is just how it goes, and it was a fun art concept experiment to play around with.

Re: multiple ICs. Please note, that majority of my other sets, I'm a co-designer. I'm not solo. Hence depending on which stage those ICs are at, I can balance my attentions to wherever necessary depending on my responsibilities within them and the timelines they're on. KAT sets are all awaiting Keyreative communication, samples, and emails mainly, and behind the scenes we're actively discussing about kitting improvements all the time.
Those sets will also likely approach GB much earlier than this set and I've already been speaking to vendors actively about them. KAT Quantum is not going to occur for a while due to GMK Gateway holding its GB soon, so there's no need to rush it, even though I've been quietly doing kitting updates, and renders.
Thus the only two ICs right now that I'm solely responsible for are KAT Quantum (which is on a much longer timeline i.e. > 6 months minimum) and this set.
As you can see from my recent post on KAT Great Wave, we've managed to do a whole bunch of kitting updates for multiple kits, despite me working on this IC in the background.
Anyways you'll be surprised at how much you can get done, if you don't have children, and other active hobbies.

Re: Deskmats.
I have asked a more talented artist than I to draw a more complex design, but I don't think IC needs to wait for that to be done for me to post this IC. In the mean-time I thought it would be worth seeing if there was interest in more simpler images.
The heart deskmat design is a stock vector. Won't deny it, I liked the idea and paid for license to use it. If people don't like that I did that, or aren't interested in it because of this, then that's fair, and I'll remove it. I didn't see a point of redrawing a nice graphic design concept when I can just pay for its use, when it completely ties in with the concept here. I'm not silly enough to think people won't just reverse google image it to find the source. Just search up tetris heart and you'll find 10 artists variants of it. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
In regards to the T-Pose, the Grid, and the Isometric deskmats, they're all common geometric patterns.  They're all simple repeating patterns. All three of them are well known illusions. I don't pretend that I created these illusions. They're just a tessellating pattern that aren't copyright, that I thought would look good on a deskmat, especially the isometric concept.
It's like the Seigaha pattern used as a deskmat used for GMK Bento and GMK Masterpiece. No one presumes they came up with seigaha pattern design.

Productkun, I get you just don't happen to like how I executed the concept, which is okay and you're free to express your opinion (this is an open forum where we post ideas to be criticised be fellow neckbeards), but now that you've made your thoughts clear, I'd prefer only opinions on how to improve the set/concept, versus ongoing negative energy. Wishing you positive vibes for 2021 :)

Thanks to everyone else for the positive encouragement, and constructive feedback.
I didn't realise this little IC would be so polarising, so it's kind of bemusing seeing some overreactions, but that's the internet for you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2021, 21:15:38 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline CosminOance

• 'tis the season to be yourself
    • PixelDrama.club by Cosmin Oance
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 22:05:04 »
Re: TTC/IP stuff
I'm aware of their litigious nature [...] I have [...] done some research myself [...] I believe that due to not having any gameplay, and tetrominos are simple mathematical concepts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetromino), and thus not wholly pertaining to TTC, that using it as just modifier legends, this doesn't cross copyright territory. 
At first I thought you were unaware and I wished you luck, but now I think that you are, to put it kindly, irresponsible (and after some people pointed that you copied the desk mats, also showing that you lack respect for other creators), sorry to say.

Isn't the end result of your actions that of selling or facilitating the sale of merchandise printed with the "tetriminos" (that's what TTC calls their tetrominos) and that evoque Tetris?
To expand on this: in the unlikely event that this would go to a trial, which it won't, since you would probably voluntarily shut it down if asked, what do you think a judge would assume about a member of a community whose name contains the words geek and hack? That he dreamed those exact shapes and everyone agreed they are good shapes to put on keyboards? :) Why aren't there other shapes? The answer is: because it wouldn't be in line with Tetris, right? It would be like a knockoff Tetris version, right?
And I'm not even a corporate lawyer.
I rest my case.

Other people have tried (under legal counsel) .
https://www.masslawblog.com/copyright/video-game-company-misreads-copyright-law-infringes-tetris/
The protection of video games as audiovisual works under the Copyright Act is nothing new to copyright law.  For example, Pac-Man received copyright protection based on the appearance of the characters and their motions and actions.  (Atari v. North American Philips).  The video game Galaxian received copyright protection based on the “look and feel” of the characters.  (Midway v. Arctic Intern.).  Like Tetris, these games are non-functional and highly creative.  Therefore they receive broad copyright protection.

Maybe some useful advice:
Factories in CN care very little about IP and copyright ;)

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 January 2021, 00:10:30 »
I do not believe that the designs of polyominoes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetromino) in a non-game medium are copyright grounds, however as rightly perceived, that doesn't mean I'd have the resources/energy to dispute this in the legal setting if I get a C&D, given their resources. I'm aware they're trigger happy on protecting their IP when it comes to other game clones (Jstris and WWC do somehow work around it though). Unless someone here that works for TTC or are a copyright lawyer(kindly DM me) further discussion on this point doesn't really help clear the legal grayness, that is: Is someone allowed make and sell artwork themed off tetrominos?
The suggestion of switching to a Chinese manu is something I'm considering, hence why I've asked in the feedback form about ABS vs PBT. And have also spoken to JTK before about this set.

Re: Deskmats, again I'm not staking ownership of those designs. Feel free to run a GB on them yourself too if you can be bothered. The tetris T pattern explicitly states it is free for both personal and commercial use. The heart image is a vector that I have the license to use. Just cause I did not draw them, does not mean I do not have the right to use them if I have the necessary licenses permitting me to do so.  A license to use an image, is on the same grounds as commissioning an artist to design a deskmat for use. I essentially paid a service fee to a website (which presumably flows onto the designer) for this permission. I didn't think this would be a big issue, I guess it probably rubbed a few people the wrong way.

Given this topic is kinda just revolving around the same stuff over and over the same points of legality, without much advancement in discussions re: kitting suggestions, novelty design suggestions/placements, colour options, I'll be temporarily locking this down for a while until I have some further updates. If you have any feedback, feel free to submit it in the google form, or DM me if you wish.

Given the ongoing concerns re: trademarks. I'll send some emails investigating licensing, before proceeding further to cover my ass.

If this set never reaches fruition, I'm also totally okay with that too. This was really good practice to learn about GMK kitting, gain a bit more experience doing renders, and meet my daily sodium intake  ;D.
In the mean-time, I wish everyone a great 2021!

■■■■

■■■■
Email sent to TTC re: licensing /legal permission to use Tetrominos for keycap set design

If I get time, I'll try and see if I can try to do this in the Gameboy green-tinted colourway scheme and patterned blocks for fun and see how it looks
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2021, 16:52:08 by bobasweatandtears »